Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Big Shot Cozy or Dust Cover

Hi All - I'm not 100% sure where to put this post, so I thought I would try on the organization forum. I'm trying to find somewhere online that I can buy a cozy or dust cover for my Big Shot. I've been able to find them for other cutting machines like the Cricut, etc. but not for the Big Shot. Does anyone have any ideas or recommendation? I do not want to store it in the Big Shot carry case at home as I like to leave it out and just want to be able to uncover it to use it. I also don't want dust to get into/on the device. Thanks for your help!

My gallery

My blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Aaah - I'd love one too - I'm thinking of setting up a table in the garage for all my die cutting stuff so I'm waiting for an answer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 09:58 AM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

I made a very basic one from scratch for my mom out of quilted fabric. I based it off of the free pattern for the Cricut dustcover pattern available on the Custom Crops website.

For the Cricut, it is basically three pieces of fabric: a rectangle that goes over the main part of the machine and two curved triangles (or half ovals?) for each end.

For the Big Shot, there's a rectangle and two "loopy" ends. I turned the machine on its side and traced the loopy pattern for the ends on paper. On the side with the handle, I cut a slit for it to stick out and did a zigzag around the slit to reinforce it. If I ever made another one, I'd reinforce it with a piece on the inside so the seams would look nicer around the handle.

The hardest part is curving the rounded sides to fit against the rectangular piece without having gathers form. The first Cricut cover I tried ended up looking like it had Sienfeld's "puffy sleeves".

You can see a good part of the Big Shot cozie I made on one of my mom's gallery submissions:

CCC11 - March 2011 Christmas Cards - Kraft Snowman/Tree by Pattie Girl - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 10:25 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

And here's a YouTube video on another homemade one. I found this one too "boxy" for my taste but it was what originally got me to thinking :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZtilRvN63A

And here's one like in the video for sale:

Lena's Crafts: Big Shot Dust Cover
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-22-2011, 10:55 AM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Someone on Ebay makes and sells them. I think they are pretty reasonable too! Just use the search engine in Ebay. (And no, it's not me!!) LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 08:57 AM   #6  
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
And here's a YouTube video on another homemade one. I found this one too "boxy" for my taste but it was what originally got me to thinking :-)

YouTube - Big Shot Dust Cover

And here's one like in the video for sale:

Lena's Crafts: Big Shot Dust Cover

I ordered from Lena, and what she makes is great quality. She is a little expensive on the Big Shot covers, but I would be too if I was the only one making them! She charges $40 for those. I got that, plus a matching Expression and Create cover as well. Those were $20 and $15 respectively (if I remember right). I would HIGHLY recommend her! She ships in a BIG box so she doesn't crush the BS cover.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by darlawelchView Post
I ordered from Lena, and what she makes is great quality. She is a little expensive on the Big Shot covers, but I would be too if I was the only one making them! She charges $40 for those. I got that, plus a matching Expression and Create cover as well. Those were $20 and $15 respectively (if I remember right). I would HIGHLY recommend her! She ships in a BIG box so she doesn't crush the BS cover.
They're very nice but that's a bit rich for my budget. I can't see paying $40 for a cover when I only paid $70 for my machine. But then again, I can sew a bit. If I wasn't a sewer and couldn't economically make my own, I might feel differently. Or maybe I'm just cheap LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #8  
Insane Embellisher

I wonder if a large toaster cover/cozy would work. Think I'll measure and check out BB&B with my coupon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 509 Likes on 229 Posts

Here's an ebay one:
Cricut Sizzix Big Shot Dust Cover U PIC UR FABRIC CWS | eBay
(not me...but it looks like a great way to make a bit of money...hmmm)

If you are really wanting to make one yourself, let me know (maybe pm me...) and I would be glad to make you a pattern.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-29-2011, 06:41 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Here's an ebay one:
Cricut Sizzix Big Shot Dust Cover U PIC UR FABRIC CWS | eBay
(not me...but it looks like a great way to make a bit of money...hmmm)

If you are really wanting to make one yourself, let me know (maybe pm me...) and I would be glad to make you a pattern.
That one on ebay is very similar to what I had come up with except fancier with the seam binding along the bottom. Once I jigged my pattern around and got it to how I wanted it, I figure I could make one from scratch from start to finish in less than an hour. A friend wants me to make the Cricut cover for her sister for Christmas (she's planning ahead). I might sew up a couple of both styles and put them up for sale on ebay or esty and see what happens. I have a lot of scrap fabric around from my days when I was a heavier sewer so I wouldn't be out a lot of cash if they didn't sell well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Until you find time to make one...I simply keep a cute vintage tea towel over mine and it works fine. If you have kitties or kids, it may get pulled off too easily though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 06:29 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I made a very basic one from scratch for my mom out of quilted fabric. I based it off of the free pattern for the Cricut dustcover pattern available on the Custom Crops website.

For the Cricut, it is basically three pieces of fabric: a rectangle that goes over the main part of the machine and two curved triangles (or half ovals?) for each end.

For the Big Shot, there's a rectangle and two "loopy" ends. I turned the machine on its side and traced the loopy pattern for the ends on paper. On the side with the handle, I cut a slit for it to stick out and did a zigzag around the slit to reinforce it. If I ever made another one, I'd reinforce it with a piece on the inside so the seams would look nicer around the handle.

The hardest part is curving the rounded sides to fit against the rectangular piece without having gathers form. The first Cricut cover I tried ended up looking like it had Sienfeld's "puffy sleeves".

You can see a good part of the Big Shot cozie I made on one of my mom's gallery submissions:

CCC11 - March 2011 Christmas Cards - Kraft Snowman/Tree by Pattie Girl - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

Hope this helps!
You did a great job! I was going to do much the same thing but not as tailored, I may reconsider now that I see how nice yours looks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary56View Post
You did a great job! I was going to do much the same thing but not as tailored, I may reconsider now that I see how nice yours looks!
Thank you :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-14-2017, 08:11 AM   #14  
bip
Cardstock Collector

Hi, I have a lot of machines and would like to make covers for them. I cannot afford to have them made but can pay for the patterns can someone help me please.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-16-2017, 04:58 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kathy's Cozy's on Etsy is awesome!!! You can choose your material and everything! I have them on my Cricut, SNC2, Stitch Happy and for my Mistis... you won't be sorry! https://www.etsy.com/shop/KathysCozi...hopheader-name

Last edited by Peezie; 12-16-2017 at 05:00 AM.. Reason: Added Etsy Hyperlink
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2017, 04:28 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Received 93 Likes on 58 Posts

Quote:

Hope this helps!
Wow, Leslie, that is a very well executed cover...beautiful job! Thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Likes