Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:49 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any thoughts

on the Recollections craft room storage system they sell at Michael's?

Last edited by stamper-doodle; 06-24-2013 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: spelling
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 02:06 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm not sure which brand of the white "cubes" I have, so I'm just offering a general observation: I LOVE the 3 and 4 drawer cubes - very useful - but LOATHE AND DESPISE the one-drawer designed for 12" paper! Wicked heavy, and the handle on one of them came off in my hand when I tried to open it! I got tired of using a screwdriver to open the sucker and ditched it...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 02:56 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

I have had a bunch of them for several years now and have been quite happy with them.

As Sue said, the 3 & 4 drawer ones are good.

The drawers on this 2-drawer/2-shelf cube are great for embossing folders (including the larger 5x7 ones) or DVDs.

I've used the 4-shelf cubes both vertically or horizontally:

And one wide ITSO tray or two narrow ITSO trays from target will fit on each shelf of the 4-shelf unit.

I don't have any of the file drawers but I have seen quite a few mediocre to poor reviews of them.

My Blog: Purple Place Designs
My Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

More thoughts

The narrow ITSO trays also fit in the narrow shelves of this multifunction cube: Multifunction Cube

The ITSO trays can fit in the 2-drawer/2-shelf shelves with modification. There are little ridges on the bottom of the tray that I cut off with a craft knife, but be careful if you do it, because the knife can slip quite easily. I think the shelves on the multifunction cube that I linked above are too close together even if you shave the ridge off.

If you scroll towards the middle-to-end of my craft room tour blog post, you can see a little bit how I'm using my storage cubes. Craft Room Tour | Purple Place Designs

My Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love mine. I've only had them a couple of months, but have more than 25 and am loving how it has allowed me to get organized. I have about 10 more I haven't put together yet - I plan to build a desk for my cricut with some of them. I purchased them all on sale. The best price I got was when they were buy one get one free, and then I had a coupon for another 10% off my entire purchase. Here is a link to a pic in my gallery so you can see how I've stacked them up (the bookcases to the left are not Michaels - they are from Ikea):
My new stamping space --- not quite done, but working! by jkstampin - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 03:52 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Oh I should mention - I agree with gregzgirl on the one drawer cubes designed for hanging file folders to hold the 12x12 paper. There is no bottom to the drawer, so paper can easily fall out. In addition, if you put it up off the floor and open the drawer it tips it forward! I have put the 2 I purchased in the closet on the floor and am storing paper I don't use very much in them.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

I have several of them and love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I have 30 and I love how I can switch them around. The only one I can't recommend is the file drawer. Like others have said, it's a piece of junk.

Right now they are buy one get one free.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2013, 02:08 AM   #9  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I got a few of their pieces (not the file drawer) the last time they were on sale and I like them. Buy one, get one this week, I did not know....I'll be out there this week to add some more storage.

A nice system, stamper-doodle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2013, 10:19 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dear Enablers,
Thanks so much for sending me off in another spending direction! Just got my first two (BOGO!! Thanks Queen!) Just moved so stamp room is a way in the future! but that gives me time to get them!! Could those of you who have them maybe give me an idea of what you have? Like 5-4 drawer, 3- 3 drawer, 10 multi function cube...other than the single drawer, any others you bought and were disappointed with or just didn't really use? Thanks so much!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badger53186View Post
Dear Enablers,
Thanks so much for sending me off in another spending direction! Just got my first two (BOGO!! Thanks Queen!) Just moved so stamp room is a way in the future! but that gives me time to get them!! Could those of you who have them maybe give me an idea of what you have? Like 5-4 drawer, 3- 3 drawer, 10 multi function cube...other than the single drawer, any others you bought and were disappointed with or just didn't really use? Thanks so much!!
Well, I just did a quick mental count and I've got:
11 3-drawer
12 4-drawer
8 4-shelf
2 2-drawer/2-shelf
1 multipurpose unit

I think. LOL Obviously these were bought over time and using coupons or sales.

I posted my craft room earlier in the thread but here it is again: Craft Room Tour | Purple Place Designs

And just for comparison, here is my old craft room in my old house: Welcome to my craft dungeon! | Purple Place Designs

Now, I had to downsize quite a bit, but I did keep all of my cubes (as well as my awesome ginormous drafting table desk!). But I almost completely rearranged the contents of my cubes. And I totally revamped my stamp storage. I initially kept them in CD cases in 4-drawer units. Now they are in Tim Holtz pockets in baskets on a bookshelf. That opened up a bunch of 4-drawer units for other storage.

Anyway, all that to say:
1. I don't have a problem with any of the cube styles that I have. I did have a couple of issues with missing/wrong parts, but I called the number on the packing insert and was sent the parts with no hassle.

2. What you need really depends on what you have. You might want to start by getting the inside dimensions of drawers, etc. And You can start thinking about what might work in what cube formation.

My Etsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Dear Enablers,
Here is what i have put together:
6- 3 drawer
2- 4 drawer
3- 4 shelf
1- 2 drawer
2- 1 drawer with 1 shelf
2- magazine holders with 2 shelf
4- open cubes
2- 1 drawer hanging files
then i have some of the insert types - the corner shelves, bins, etc that can fit in the cubes or stand on their own.

Other than the issue with the 1 drawer, I am using all of them because each does a good job for different type items. For example, the 4 and 2 drawer unit fit taller items, but the three drawer are good for things that lay flat or are shorter. I also have one of their 6 cube organizers with the fabric storage cubes in three of the cubes - the storage cubes are great for holding bulky items like wood blocks, chipboard, etc... for what I call my "projects in waiting." the three open cubes I am using to store my craft idea books.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2013, 04:35 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks to both of you for taking the time! For now I am shopping and stashing them in a corner until we start the project there! Looks like I need a bunch of three and four drawer. I have IRIS drawers now so I will look at what is in all of those drawers as I go ahead. Probably a lot of junk, like the rest of my house!! Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2013, 04:52 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

I love my cubes!

Joan - I want your room!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-27-2013, 10:46 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by LazorkayView Post
I love my cubes!

Joan - I want your room!!!
you are always welcome to come visit

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I have 8 of them and the spinning one. I love them
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #17  

Quote:

Dear Enablers,
Thanks so much for sending me off in another spending direction! Just got my first two (BOGO!! Thanks Queen!)
First, LOL @ 'another spending direction' - join the club!! And you're welcome. I just got back from Michaels and I got 10 cubes (for the price of 5 - woohoo).

I moved and I'm unloading boxes of all my art and craft supplies and I had run out of storage. These cubes should really help with that. I have been VERY frustrated because I unloaded boxes without having any place to put the stuff (DUH....) and now my studio is a HUGE mess. I'll rectify this situation this weekend

I am in a serious state of 'creative withdrawal'...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #18  
Watercolor Wizard

I am heading to Mike's tomorrow with my 15% off total purchase coupon to get some more cubes. Hope they still have some left!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaxView Post
I am heading to Mike's tomorrow with my 15% off total purchase coupon to get some more cubes. Hope they still have some left!
Went to Mike's this afternoon and put 6 boxes in my cart. Went to pay and gave the cashier the 15% off total purchase, including sale items coupon. The cashier said I couldn't use the coupon as the boxes were buy one get one free. I said I didn't see that exclusion on the coupon. After a while, she told me she would show me that it wouldn't work and proceeded to enter the coupon into the cash register and lo and behold it worked! I wonder how many other people she told that it wouldn't work! So glad I insisted!!! I have assembled 5 of the 6 boxes. Number 6 will be done after dinner... Just wish I had 2 more!

There was one got and I wanted one more just like it. An employee offered to check inventory and said they didn't have any more in the store, but would be two in on Wed. He said he thought they were on sale because they were changing them somehow and wanted to get rid of the ones they have now. Hmmmm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtaxView Post
Went to Mike's this afternoon and put 6 boxes in my cart. Went to pay and gave the cashier the 15% off total purchase, including sale items coupon. The cashier said I couldn't use the coupon as the boxes were buy one get one free. I said I didn't see that exclusion on the coupon. After a while, she told me she would show me that it wouldn't work and proceeded to enter the coupon into the cash register and lo and behold it worked! I wonder how many other people she told that it wouldn't work! So glad I insisted!!! I have assembled 5 of the 6 boxes. Number 6 will be done after dinner... Just wish I had 2 more!

There was one got and I wanted one more just like it. An employee offered to check inventory and said they didn't have any more in the store, but would be two in on Wed. He said he thought they were on sale because they were changing them somehow and wanted to get rid of the ones they have now. Hmmmm.
Thank goodness you persisted! It is a great deal when you can get them like that. As for why they are on sale, i have seen some new styles on the michaels web site, but they have been having these sales since I started collecting them last summer, so if that is the only reason they sure must have had a ton of them to get rid of! Personally, I think it is a bit like the framing coupons - they put a ridiculously high retail price on them so they can put them on sale!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #21  

JCI to share my opinion now that I've gotten some of these assembled and am putting items into them. I have assembled 6 of the 10 cubes that I got and these are wonderful. I got 4 drawer, 3 drawer, 2 drawer, and 1 drawer with 2 shelves. I like these so much that there is another sale w/in the next few days - 40% off your entire order (the bogo ended 6/29) so I'm thinking about getting some more...this system is revolutionizing my storage - dramatic but it's true Thanks so much to everyone for sharing their knowledge and experience with this system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2013, 10:53 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love mine!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 06:17 AM   #23  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

micheals carried a wall frame, a magnetic tin frame; and I love it. Holds about 30 tins for your embellishments. My not be the same product line.

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

I love it!! I had two of them ~ the ribbon storage and boxed shelf and 2 matching stamp shelves - BLISS!!!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #25  

Have any of you had to deal with the stack of cubes leaning? What did you do to stabilize them/get them stand straight and not lean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by QueenOfInklandView Post
Have any of you had to deal with the stack of cubes leaning? What did you do to stabilize them/get them stand straight and not lean?
The only tall stack I had lean I put wood shims under the bottom cube to level it. Also, where possible I use the connectors on the sides to join the cubes and if necessary, I use small screws to hold the stack together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #27  

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
The only tall stack I had lean I put wood shims under the bottom cube to level it. Also, where possible I use the connectors on the sides to join the cubes and if necessary, I use small screws to hold the stack together.
Great suggestions, really appreciate your help.

I will try the wood shims for starters. I just placed an order on eBay for 8" wood shims.

Thanks, again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2013, 06:16 AM   #28  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Love Them

I have 12 cubes of various types, drawers, shelves, etc. I love them.
Attached Thumbnails
any thoughts-dscn1934.jpg  

My Blog
- My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes