Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-06-2020, 06:55 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2021 -- New Year; New Organization

I've been AWOL from papercrafting for a few years. Since then, my supplies have been shuffled, boxed, shuffled, stacked, and shuffled again. Now,I am back in the mood to play with paper and scissors and glue and stuff -- but I can't find anything and have no clear space where I can work on a card or scrapbook page.

I guess that means it's time for a mini purge and a major overhaul of my craft room and supplies. Anyone else wanna climb on board the overhaul train with me?

Years ago, I took part in Tiffany Spaulding's organization challenge, which she does every year. I liked her idea of sorting paper, brads, baubles and bling by color and theme. I might follow her challenge again, unless someone else has another thought. I am open to ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2020, 06:56 AM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I recently completed a deep purge of my craft studio and home. It took me 6 weeks to complete working on it daily and I'm very happy with the outcome. I know what I have, where to find it, keeping only what I use and need. 

My advice is to just start, and focus on one area at a time. You need to remove everything from the area, sort it out, let go of the excess, corral like with like in a designated space, and donate the excess within the same week. Let those items be a blessing to someone else.  Here's a few videos to get you motivated. 
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

My organization/overhaul is ongoing since we moved this past summer. No specific advice to give except something that motivated me and made me re-think my process: Organize to USE, rather than organizing to store. The differences can be subtle, but they are very real. Think about how you use your things (or want to) and organize them that way. Think about your specific creating process and the steps it entails, then craft your organizational system(s) to maximize ease and efficiency for that. It may be Tiffany's ideas that work for you but it may be something else entirely.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2020, 10:08 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Thanks for the links and the advice, ladies. Good info!

I do have to laugh at the idea of KonMari craft purging. To me, the KonMari way would mean a dozen stamps, five markers and one ink pad. Good to see that others are taking a more conservative KonMari approach.

Though with my little 9' x 10' room that serves as both craft & computer room, I'd probably craft more if I did have only a handful of supplies. I have loads of stuff that I've owned for years and years but never used because my skills were not good enough and I didn't want to "waste" the products. I'm gonna have to get past that road bump and just use the stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2020, 11:01 AM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I had to stop looking at each item with the thought I can use that for....? 
In the last 5 years I moved three times and I kept packing and moving the same items that were NEVER used and they were products that were at least 10 yrs old
It was time to LET THEM GO! If I really needed an item for a current project I can replace it. As for tools of the trade and various mediums I kept them. 
Since the purge I'm more inspired. I've lightened my load and I'm using the products I kept.  Just don't try to do the task in a day or two or three... Try focusing on an area a week and you'll be surprised how much progress you'll make. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2020, 01:39 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another thing I wanted to mention is that I've found it very freeing to let go of colored cardstock. I seldom had the color needed for, say, a mat that coordinated with patterned paper or a colored image. It's easy enough to quickly run a marker or paintbrush or ink pad around the edge of white cardstock to make a "frame", since whatever is under the panel won't be seen anyway. I've also enjoyed coloring diecuts rather than trying to cut tiny bits from various colors to put together something detailed. I did keep neutrals (Kraft, Gray, Black, White, SU! Naturals Ivory) and my favorite reds and greens that coordinate with my Christmas papers. Other than that, I haven't missed having all of that cardstock in my space AT ALL! Easier on the budget, too...

Reply With Quote Likes
The following users liked this post:
craftiema (11-30-2022)
Old 12-08-2020, 04:12 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

This is what worked for me. I took out the projects I made and then created a list of everything I used on those projects right down to the glue. I put all those items to the side. Then I started my decluttering and organzing. It went so fast when I was proud of what I used over what I could use.

I watched a video recently from a mixed media artist. We know those ladies have a lot of supplies. She said that you will only use twenty items in your art room. That is your unique style.

What she said resonated with me. I know in the social media world we see all these pretties, want to make them, go out and buy them and it's not our unique style. It feels weird and alien. You do not have a good flow.

Keeping a list of what I use on projects and remembering her words really helps me organize.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
This is what worked for me. I took out the projects I made and then created a list of everything I used on those projects right down to the glue. I put all those items to the side. Then I started my decluttering and organzing. It went so fast when I was proud of what I used over what I could use.

I watched a video recently from a mixed media artist. We know those ladies have a lot of supplies. She said that you will only use twenty items in your art room. That is your unique style.

What she said resonated with me. I know in the social media world we see all these pretties, want to make them, go out and buy them and it's not our unique style. It feels weird and alien. You do not have a good flow.

Keeping a list of what I use on projects and remembering her words really helps me organize.
That really resonates with me, as well. Since I've been in a creative dry spell for a bit I can't really identify either my unique style OR which items I regularly use, but it's really good information to pay attention to going forward. I think I'll start a running list and jot down everything I use and, if it's already on the list, put a tally mark by it. Over time I'll be able to see which items I use over and over and which I seldom - if ever - reach for. I love a plan! Thanks for posting!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post

That really resonates with me, as well. . . .
+1

Yes, that totally makes sense! Keep what I use, not what I wish I would use.

Aside from the basics (cardstock and paper, cutting tools and adhesives) my project supplies tend to vary based on the type of project I'm working on.

For example, if I were to do only cards, I could probably get by with 25-50 favorite stamps (not sets), a couple of embossing folders, a few dies/punches, black & brown Memento stamp pads, Copic markers and some black embossing powder.

Add in scrapbook pages and I also need some ribbon, more punches/dies, a few Jolee's stickers, brads and maybe some Thickers letters.

Toss an art journal into the mix and it's time to pull out the messy stuff like paint, gesso, Pitt markers, stencils and archival ink pads.

I'm terrible at watercolors but I'm not ready to give up experimenting. However, I could easily get rid of my Gelatos, colored embossing powder and most of my glitter--except the white sparkly "snow" glitter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2020, 03:48 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Gregzgurl- Love the colored paper recommendation!  I need to use it up and be done with it.  Love the "see what you  use" idea also.  Thanks ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2020, 05:10 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Am in the process of purging/re-organization but my big question is what do you do with all the purge stuff?  I have a bunch of SU stamps, some ink pads, embellishments and cardstock/DSP to get rid of but am finding it hard to donate to any group 
Advice please

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2020, 07:26 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by mparrottView Post
Am in the process of purging/re-organization but my big question is what do you do with all the purge stuff?  I have a bunch of SU stamps, some ink pads, embellishments and cardstock/DSP to get rid of but am finding it hard to donate to any group 
Advice please
Craf-T-Bear has a "You Matter" project that is always looking for donations (see THIS THREAD). Several times when I've purged I've put a bunch of stuff in a flat rate Priority Mail box and sent it off. You might also post here on SCS to see if there are any newbies who need "stuff". They could pm you so it wouldn't be public if they're shy. Also, you could check the ISO thread in the Buy/Sell/Trade forum to see if anyone's looking for what you're purging.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2020, 08:29 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I can’t purge my craft supplies. If I do, I will constantly look for the items I gave away/sold and go crazy when I can’t find them! My memory is that bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2020, 10:10 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
I can’t purge my craft supplies. If I do, I will constantly look for the items I gave away/sold and go crazy when I can’t find them! My memory is that bad.

I totally get that!

I have mild short-term memory issues. I fear that if I store something out of sight, then I will either forget about it or not be able find it when I need it. I also worry that I'll tear apart the house looking for something I no longer have or worse, will not be able to find or afford to repurchase said item.

I need to be very careful. This thinking has led to mild hoarding tendencies. Don't worry, I'm far from reality TV hoarding. But having a tiny little house and lots of stuff crammed into a small space is almost as bad as having nothing. I need to find my happy medium.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2020, 05:19 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post

I totally get that!

I have mild short-term memory issues. I fear that if I store something out of sight, then I will either forget about it or not be able find it when I need it. I also worry that I'll tear apart the house looking for something I no longer have or worse, will not be able to find or afford to repurchase said item.

I need to be very careful. This thinking has led to mild hoarding tendencies. Don't worry, I'm far from reality TV hoarding. But having a tiny little house and lots of stuff crammed into a small space is almost as bad as having nothing. I need to find my happy medium.

Ladies... 
Try grouping "like with like" items, store in clear storage containers and LABEL each bin, box, and drawer. You'll know what you have and where to find it. 
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2020, 03:27 AM   #16  
Glitter Queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been purging for some time.  The local schools, especially low income areas, love getting supplies.  Often teachers end up buying these "extras."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2020, 06:09 AM   #17  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mparrottView Post
Advice please

I am still donating to thrift stores. They are taking my donations. They just can't take large things like furniture.

I think they might be throwing away loose paper items like cardstock, etc. If it's packaged they are taking it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts

My sister did something a couple years ago and I loved the idea!  I did it when we moved last December and still smile.

Find a local preschool.  The local Montessori does alot with "books" and textures.  My sister gave two huge boxes of paper, stickers, ink, and envelopes to a Montessori preschool in her area.  I knew I would do it after she did.

After the move, I set out boxes to donate and filled them as I set up my new space.  I had a ridiculous amount of "stuff" I had either a) never used or b) would never use.  I called a local Montessori preschool and daycare and they were THRILLED!  Even came and picked it up.  I have always been grateful that this task was completed prior to the pandemic.

Long story short:  Preschools and day cares will use everything you give them.  Be ruthless.  If you haven't used it in three or four years, you probably never will.  I know I have not missed one thing I gave away.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2020, 04:24 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone I looking for ideas on storage for distress ink and distress oxide inks.  I currently store them in a wine box stacked on top of each other but it not very friendly to see what I have 
http://www.jrsbookreviews.wordpress.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2021, 12:59 PM   #20  
Glitter Queen

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I keep my ink pads in Really Useful Boxes. I wait until Michaels is having their craft storage sale and buy what I need plus an extra one or two which I typically have filled just before the next sale!
I know I need to purge, but it is difficult to let go of some of that pretty stuff!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2021, 02:10 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Jan, my "collection" of Distress inks & pads is very small. I store the mini pads in a Tim Holtz storage tin made just for the small cubes. The larger pads (which I probably won't buy anymore) and all my ink refills, are stored in pencil trayd that I found at one of the $1 stores. I store the large pads on their side and the tray will hold 9 pads stored on their side with the label facing forward. The trays are similar to this:
https://www.amazon.com/Juvale-12-Pack-Classroom-Pencil-Assorted/dp/B07P5SG4V5/

I also saw a Distress ink holder on a blog that looked like it might be nice if someone has the desk space. (I don't). I like that it is sort of stair-stepped, like stadium seating, so that you can easily pick out the color you want. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MTMYW3X/

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2021, 03:04 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

I can't tell you how wonderful this is to hear!  I recently purged and donated and it was so free-ing to have less, but more - if that makes sense!  When I had THIS MUCH, I barely used it - having a the 20 or less makes me reach for what there's and use it.

Amazing words- thanks for sharing!
Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

How is everyone's New Year organizing efforts coming along?

My son helped me put wire shelving in the closet, hang an inkpad holder on the wall. I culled my dye ink pads in half, bagged up ribbon that I'll never use, hauled out a large ink pad organizer and tossed old paint, crumpled paper, and other worthless items.

Then I started to put stuff away. My Copic markers, alcohol inks, acrylic paints, glitter, embossing powders and pigment ink pads are neatly stored in clear plastic boxes that I can easily locate, see and reach. My heart started to pitter-pat as I filled a shelf with embellishments, all sorted by color and labeled.

And then . . . I ran out of storage space!
As I ran out of space, I also ran out of motivation.

I still need to find a home for my bulky Sizzix dies, sewing machine, serger,  quilt books, fabric, blank canvasses, cardboard, Cutterpillar and two boxes of craft/office odds and ends. It's gonna take some thinking and maybe a bit more purging before I find a permanent, semi-accessible home for everything.

Last edited by melissa59; 01-03-2021 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2021, 04:43 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I recently changed my storage containers for my Distress Oxide pads. As I collected them I stored them in a plastic container with latches. It worked for a while, but my collection was outgrowing the container. I don't have all the colors and I don't need all of them. I switched to the TH Distress ink Metal Tins. I have the pads organized by warm,  cool, and neutral colors. In addition, I use 2dbl sided tape to stick the coordinating blending sponge to the bottom of the ink pad, and label all 4-sides. They stack nicely and keeps my pads better organized.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2021, 12:48 PM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post

I thought I would have the same problem when I first started purging my stamps and other craft supplies.  But!  I do not recall regretting letting anything go. And I have not felt the need/urge to replace anything.

Just this past weekend, I was gathering up some things to drop off at my local thrift store.  I had already pulled out several stamp sets that I was thinking about listing on one of the Facebook "buy/sell" groups I'm on, but I decided to donate those stamp sets instead.    It was very freeing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2021, 07:09 AM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

I have not gotten down to purging stamps yet. However I am in process of reorganizing my stamps and putting stamps and dies in pockets. OMG I cannot believe what a pile of packaging I am discarding!
My reorganized pile  looks so small compared to what was originally in container.
It looks so neat and I can just flip through.
I asked for a Brother P touch labeler for Christmas so I will put labels on later. For now just tucked the mfg info into back of pocket.
I does feel good to see the progress. Looks like I have to buy more Avery Elle pockets. �
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2021, 07:51 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I never keep anything in it's original packaging - too much wasted space! I don't even leave ribbon or washi tape on its original roll. Ribbons are just rolled into a coil and secured with tiny hair elastics from the dollar store (name brands are too strong and wrinkle the ribbon) and stored in plastic containers designed for embroidery threads. Washi tapes are wound in color groups on jumbo craft sticks and stored in a clamshell left over from the wood-mounted days.  It probably seems like a waste of time, but I'm all about consolidation and - in the long run - since everything is compact and organized, I can find things very quickly and easily, and see all of the whatever-it-is at a glance. Also, tasks like winding ribbon or washi tape are good productive projects while watching TV shows or movies.

On a separate note, I Kondo'd my papers last night and now only have what I know I'll use. If it didn't inspire joy, it went in the purge pile, even if I could see a use for it. If I don't love it, I probably will pass it over like I've already done a million times. Some of the papers dated all the way back to 2003! Yeah, if I haven't used it in 17 or 18 years, I probably won't ever...

I also re-vamped my dies. I was happy with how consolidated they were, but I have reached the point where I can't readily remember what I have. Nesting sets were fine, but sets like Tim's Funky Foliage or some of the CC Designs sets that have lots of pieces were baffling. I got some of the "magnetic" photo pages (Recollections brand at Michael's, 8 1/2" x 11") and put like with like on them (hearts with hearts, leaves with leaves, etc). I did have to put a piece of 110 lb cardstock on the other side of the page to beef it up so it didn't bend (that's when the dies fall off). Since the pages are slightly sticky and there's a sheet of plastic that goes over them, they stay in place quite well and I can see all of them. The pages are standing hole-side up in a narrow file bin and labeled with a Post-It tab sticking up so I can see what's what. I have some Sizzix and Cuttlebug thinlets-type dies that are in a photo case in the same bin, as are the alphabet sets.

Last edited by gregzgurl; 01-05-2021 at 08:04 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2021, 11:02 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Sue, I have only four rolls of washi tape but would definitely consider a change if I had a bunch.. I did not know the tape could be rewound onto a smaller "spool" like a big craft stick. I would have thought that would ruin the stickiness, as it does with regular adhesive tape. Good to know I have choices!

My tiny space is so very limited, which makes it especially hard to have stuff for cardmaking, scrapbooking, mixed media, sewing, quilting and more. I'm currently in the process of reducing my paper in hopes of gaining a few more inches of storage space.

With the exception of my scrapbook-size alphabet dies, I've recently purged most of the old-style chunky Sizzix dies, you known, the ones from about 20 years ago that are the size of a thick slice of bread. Those take up a ton of space! One day, I will give up my punches as well. But for now, they are less of a problem since I have them hanging out of the way on the wall. My plan is to, over time, replace the most used punches with similarly shaped thin dies.

What do you do with your dies that coordinate with stamps? Do you store them together? Or are they separated with some sort of notation on the stamps reminding you that you have matching dies?

BTW, wasn't it you who, about six or seven years ago, posted something about having a binder with all your stamp images? I read that and thought it was a brilliant idea. It took me awhile to stamp everything but in the end, it made it much, much easier to find stuff. I flip through my binder, find a stamp I want and look for the notation as to which drawer it is stored in. Down side is that I've added a few more stamp sets that I've not yet included. Once my craftroom is in order, I'll be going through my stamps, doing a little purging and a lot of binder updating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2021, 02:29 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Melissa! It may have been me that posted about having a binder with the stamp images - I've done that in several iterations over the years. I currently have two binders, one that has reduced-size images of complete sets (for reference only) in alphabetical order by company name and another with actual-size stamped images in groups by category (leaves, animals, beach, etc.) Both are ATC-sized cards in trading card pages. I find it's easier to pull one card out if/when I purge a stamp or to add one in if/when I buy a new one than to re-stamp a whole page or have a bunch of cross-outs. I don't pay too much attention if the stamp is too large to see the whole thing on the card - enough is visible to remind me what the whole image looks like.

I'm also working my way through all of the sentiments (purging as I go) and creating an anthology of sorts so I can see font size and style for each sentiment I own. These are "as many as fit to a page" on 4" x 6" index cards taped together to form little booklets (one for each category). I'll either combine them into one book with tabs or put them in a card file, again with tabs. Still debating... Also, I do not store the sentiments with the stamps unless they are an integral part of a set (like words that fit in those word bubbles or that banner on the hot-air balloon). I still stamp them in the booklet, though, so I remember that I have them.

I only have six or seven of the old-style Sizzix dies and have them lined up like books on a shelf. I don't have any dies that match stamp sets except the Crazy Birds, and I just have the dies in the same pocket as the stamps. Punches are on a shelf unit designed for CD/DVD storage. I added extra shelves to it as the punches aren't as tall as the CDs/DVDs would be. I've purged quite a few of the punches except those that fit Stampin'Up! stamps that I still have and some borders that I love. If/when I find dies that are close enough to the punches, those will go, as well...maybe...sometimes punches are faster and easier, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2021, 03:01 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Hey Melissa! It may have been me that posted about having a binder with the stamp images - I've done that in several iterations over the years. I currently have two binders, one that has reduced-size images of complete sets (for reference only) in alphabetical order by company name and another with actual-size stamped images in groups by category (leaves, animals, beach, etc.) Both are ATC-sized cards in trading card pages. I find it's easier to pull one card out if/when I purge a stamp or to add one in if/when I buy a new one than to re-stamp a whole page or have a bunch of cross-outs. <snip>
Yep, Sue. Now I'm sure it was your post!

I love using trading card pages and small pieces of cardstock for individual stamps. Like you, I have my images stored according to category. Though I don't yet split apart my sets of actual stamps.

I also use plastic 5x7 photo storage pages and full-sheet page protectors for images of complete sets and/or extra large stamps. Right now, all are in a single binder. But if my collection grows even a little bit more I will have to start a second binder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2021, 06:32 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

I found the videos by The Crafty Organizer helped me stay focus when I made a recent total home purge. I took me 4 weeks to complete the task but it was so worth it!
I haven't missed anything I donated. https://youtu.be/eCZQj5j7m9U
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2021, 07:15 AM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

I have all my nesting dies on magnetic backers with heavy weight white card stock in pocket. Any stamps that have coordinating dies are put behind the white card stock. I have found Jennifer McQuire’s video on this very helpful.
small stamps like Lawn Fawn can hold several in one pocket.
I just have to decide whether to put the stamps according to manufacturer or categories for the quickest way to find them.
the odd company has very large stamps sets ( MFT) so I will have to figure that one out.
I have several stamps that are a small assortment of various images that I might just label miscellaneous as there are very few less than 10, and are ones that are rarely used.....perhaps a purge there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2021, 11:38 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Organizing with help

Thank you for all of the ideas in this thread. My hubby and I retired 5 years ago from CA a 2100 sq ft home, but more importantly I had 2 bedrooms, a lg office, and a large utility room to acquire "crafting stuff". We moved to OR, to a retirement community of mobile homes. Ours has an extra sun room allowing me space to store my "crafting stuff". I found out late in life that I have ADHD.

What I recently found, was that with help I can get thru these piles so I can enjoy crafting. But, with COVID, I am unable to be around anyone but my husband due to immune issues. I have just wished that I could find help. Well, I found two ideas that have really helped. Clutter Bug, whom I found on HGTV at the beginning of the COVID era has lots of youtube videos and a "challenge" for this month from not only her own company but others. She has ADHD too, maybe that's why I really feel free to be me and just try to get organized. She has a "quiz" that helps to define if you're a part of 1 of 4 different categories. BUT, then her videos help you organize for that category. I'm a "butterfly" and for fun, I asked my super organized hubby to do the quiz. He's a "cricket"! At the end of the quiz/document, Cas talks about meshing the two different organizing personalities!

Wow, it's like a light bulb went on for my hubby! He's converted our 2nd china/hutch to shelves for me, LOTS of them!!!!! And if I get stuck, trying to figure something out, he helps me.

And secondly, there is a FANTASTIC FB group about getting craft spaces organized! Recently, there were shout outs from members of the group either needing help with organizing OR offers of those more gifted with organization, from all over the world!
It may be tricky to find, so here ...
Go to a post from Sharon Ruckel Ware in the FB group - Craft Room Organization- 52 weeks to an Organized Workspace
At the moment, 01/08/2021 there are 424 comments, and FUN to read! Just now I found a shout out from someone providing a name of someone in my town, Eugene, OR! But, there are those willing to travel (especially if the messy one will pay their airfare, lol) from Australia to the states, etc. OR, even doing it thru Zoom.

So, I guess what I'm finding is that if we ask, there's all kinds of "sisters' out there willing to help. Yay!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2021, 01:38 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by dyannzstampscrapView Post
<snip> Clutter Bug, whom I found on HGTV at the beginning of the COVID era has lots of youtube videos and a "challenge" for this month from not only her own company but others. She has ADHD too, maybe that's why I really feel free to be me and just try to get organized. She has a "quiz" that helps to define if you're a part of 1 of 4 different categories. BUT, then her videos help you organize for that category. I'm a "butterfly" and for fun, I asked my super organized hubby to do the quiz. He's a "cricket"! <snip>
I'm going to have to check out this gal. Just for fun, I took her quiz. I'm a bee. And I think it really fits me. LOL

I've always been something of a clutterbug and packrat. But in my younger years, mine was usually an organized mess. Unfortunately, as I've gotten older, especially now with a recently diagnosed balance disorder, I find that I'm almost afraid of putting stuff away. I'm afraid that I will forget to use something I've purchased. I'm afraid that I'll have to bend over and dig for it (resulting in a carsick feeling). I'm afraid that it will be stored so high that I'll have to climb or ask someone to get it down for me. I'm afraid that I will put something away for safe-keeping but forget where that safe place is!

Getting old is not fun, especially when you have a lot of hobbies and very little space to store stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2021, 06:48 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to Michaels for 2 packs of teeny tiny white pompoms to use as snowballs on a card for m 7 year old granddaughter's January birthday. As I was going into the store, I was telling myself to just get pompoms, nothing else and leave! Repeat. Repeat. I found 2 small rolls of craft ribbon (70% off) and a small Merry Christmas stamp with tiny snowflakes to match a set that had only a happy holidays stamp also 70% off and 2 scrapbook paper cases (50% off) and the pompoms. All for $18.00. Feeling happy, I went home and put everything in its place. I thought I put the pompoms on my craft table. I remember holding them and I did have them at my house. Did you know that cussing after praying for St. Anthony to help me find them does not work? St Anthony must not find cussing attractive. I cannot find those #!!@$***pompoms anywhere. And yes, I looked through the trash twice. This getting old is quite the adventure. And this happened on my 65th birthday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2021, 07:58 AM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

After putting my stamps and dies in pockets they are ready for labelling after I figure out how labeller works
While doing this I did some purging of various related items. Lo and behold on a top shelf I found two unopened packages of Big Shot plates
i suspect t when I read the BS was being replaced I made use of my Michaels coupons. Maybe a little house cleaning has its rewards.😀
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
After putting my stamps and dies in pockets they are ready for labelling after I figure out how labeller works
While doing this I did some purging of various related items. Lo and behold on a top shelf I found two unopened packages of Big Shot plates
i suspect t when I read the BS was being replaced I made use of my Michaels coupons. Maybe a little house cleaning has its rewards.😀
Been AWOL from crafting for awhile . . .
Did Big Shot discontinue it's cutting plates?????

I also have a Silhouette (not Cameo) cutter. Never quite figured out how to get the best use out of it. And now that I'm ready to learn, I don't know where to find cutting mats. Not sure if other style mats will work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2021, 02:24 PM   #38  
Pearl-ExPert

There is now a new version of the BS. I am sure someone here will tell you if the same plates work. They announced the change two years ago, so just to be sure I picked up extra plates which I can also use in my bug.
I had just earned a free BS from hosting a party so it was a no brainer to pick up extra dies. At this time I was wintering in Az and by the time I left a month later, were no plates available at any Michael’s, hobby Lobby etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by melissa59View Post
Did Big Shot discontinue it's cutting plates?????
Big Shot is still in the cutting plate business. I am sure the OP is thinking of the Cuttlebug machine. I see the Big Shot plates all over, including Sizzix dot com.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2021, 02:29 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,763 Likes on 1,875 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
There is now a new version of the BS. I am sure someone here will tell you if the same plates work. They announced the change two years ago, so just to be sure I picked up extra plates which I can also use in my bug.
I had just earned a free BS from hosting a party so it was a no brainer to pick up extra dies. At this time I was wintering in Az and by the time I left a month later, were no plates available at any Michael’s, hobby Lobby etc.
What is this newer version? I am curious now. I am looking on Sizzix and not seeing any reference, so I must be missing something.
LisaFeatured Stamper #671Love sending BRAK cards. Dirty Dozen Alumni.CC927 Favorite
Reply With Quote Likes