Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #1  
Bunny's SunnyChick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb the SBDC needs your input ladies...

When I first began this challenge it was one of those crazy ideas that I came up with in the middle of the night. I presented it to Kimmie and we both thought it would be a fabulous challenge...the rest is history.

In it's original form it was presented along with the SBSC to recognize the scrapbookers artistic abilities and to have them Inspire us (aka: Inspirational Challenge).

Since the beginning it's popularity has decreased. I find this to take away from the point of this challenge. WE want to acknowledge the talents of our scrapbooking artists. WE want to share them with you and that is why collectively WE changed it to have the Scrampin Diva of the Week to choose the next Diva.

Now all that being said...the girls over in the Card Challenges presented this very same challenge and it has become quite popular. I realize it is not quite as easy to make a "quick" scrapbook page...

SO, I NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS FOR MAKING THIS CHALLENGE A HUGE SUCCESS and to ACKNOWLEDGE the talents of our SCS SCRAPPERS.

CK Mag now uses Becky Higgins Sketches (something several of us scrappers have always done anyway) as both Scrapbook Sketches and Card Sketches...I would like for everyone to think of this challenge as INSPIRATION FOR A PAGE that can easily be completed. Just as we do for the SKETCH CHALLENGE.

NOW I JUST NEED YOUR SUGGESTIONS AND IDEAS TO MAKE THIS CHALLENGE ROCK AGAIN!

Please post below!!! ANY IDEAS USED THAT ARE SUGGESTED BY YOU WILL BE REWARDED!!!! YES, that's right IDEA CANDY!!! ;)
Tracy H. #31511=)
"The beginning is always today!" Mary Shelley

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2007, 09:45 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

I go in spurts doing the Diva challenge, I know it is the one I don't get done if I have to choose, partly because of the time looking through the gallery of the Diva.

Could we have some similar guidelines like the card challenge? "Need to change 2 or more things" is the one that always gets me to thinking and reminds me I don't have to follow it exactly.

I'll keep thinking on this. Thanks for bringing up the subject and working on the forum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #3  
CraZy Cat Lady
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe when the current diva "passes the tiara" she should post the gallery of her chosen successor as well as a link to her own favorite page as the challenge material...or top 3 for us to pick from? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2007, 12:01 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here are my thoughts.... first of all, I haven't really been checking the Diva challenges for a long time because lately there seems to be "slim pickin's" when it comes to choosing one... mostly because you can't choose someone who's previously been a Diva. Not that everyone isn't talented in their own rite, but some weeks the Diva chosen only has a handful of scrapbook pages in their gallery. and the rest are cards. Sifting through the whole gallery takes too long. Secondly, I just don't have the time to complete all the different challenges every week.

Suggestions.... I'm not clear on what your suggestion is re: the Becky Higgins idea... is the idea to have a separate "easy page" challenge for the week? If quick pages are what the majority needs to get scrappin (and I'm not saying it is), why don't we just make that the focus for the sketch challenges every few weeks?

My suggestion re: Diva of the week: instead of having a special scrapper for the week, why don't we have a special "You've Been CASE'd" thread somewhere, where we can recognize other scrappers who inspire us at that given time? We post our page, and credit our own Diva for that page, with a link to their CASE'd layout.

I'm being a bit wordy... anyway, just my thoughts. And maybe you could clarify about the Becky Higgins idea?

Thanks for all your hard work with these challenges... they are truly what keep me scrappin'!!

Bonita

Vancouver Island, Canada
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2007, 06:26 PM   #5  
Bunny's SunnyChick

Thanks for the responses ladies.

Bonita-
To clarify more and more people are making cards. I just thought it would be fun to add that option as they do in CK Magazine. If a page was chosen from the chosen Diva's gallery and used to inspire both scrapbookers and cardmakers it might gain more traffic (for this challenge). It was just a random thought I had.

Personally, I think looking at someone else's page is just as easy to use as a SKETCH as the the actual SKETCHES. I constantly use layouts from scrapbook magazines as a sketch for my own pages.

I hope that makes more sense...sorry I'm a bit tired tonight and busy working on some stuff so my brain seems to be taking a break. :rolleyes:
Tracy H. #31511=)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2007, 03:59 AM   #6  
Compulsive Stamper

Default I love the idea of a scrapbooking challenge!

How about things like:
1. Different page size restrictions. 6x6, 8.5x11, etc.
2. Themes: Scrap your day today, an unusual animal page (no dogs/cats), scrap something that's not happy, etc.
3. sketches (sure, they're easy to scraplift, but so are card designs
4. use a certain stamp or set (specify a S.U. stamp set or maybe use a greeting card (thinking of you, etc) saying on a scrapbook page
5. use an unusual item: a newspaper headline, an ad, a plastic bag, etc.

Those are just a few. I think it would be a blast! Thanks for all the challenges!
Proud to be Fiskateer #1135
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2007, 09:26 AM   #7  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Favorite GrandmaView Post
I go in spurts doing the Diva challenge, I know it is the one I don't get done if I have to choose, partly because of the time looking through the gallery of the Diva.

Could we have some similar guidelines like the card challenge? "Need to change 2 or more things" is the one that always gets me to thinking and reminds me I don't have to follow it exactly.

I'll keep thinking on this. Thanks for bringing up the subject and working on the forum.
I can say the samething. I usually skip this challenge too. Having to look at each diva gallery is a little time consuming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2007, 03:35 PM   #8  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

I do think it is more difficult to find a "scrapbook" Diva than "Card" Diva so it does take time. I love using both sketches and scraplifts from other scrappers. Kind of like Favorite Grandma's idea to pick one l/o from the "Diva's" Gallery and we could scraplift that 1 layout. That would allow for some galleries to be selected more than once. There have been some great "Diva's" selected and I know I've scraplifted more than 1 l/o from some of them. I was just thinking the other day how surprised I was that so many SU! Gals ask for "scrapbooking" help for their clubs/groups. Using the scraplift l/o choice may encourage some of them to come and play here too...?

I really like all the choices we have with the sketch...theme....and scraplift a l/o would be fun too?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2007, 04:02 PM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I think the problem is that SCS has a large popularity for cards or SU demos. So, since we have been doing this challenge for so long, I believe we are running low on scrapbookers. Not to mean that there aren't new ones coming along, but they are harder to find. Just a suggestion, since Tracy does an awesome job with this!

I think that finding cool designers on blogs if you are a blogger or designers from CK or MM would all help us grow. Maybe not every week, but it would keep us from running through all the scrapbookers here. Just a suggestion, cuz Tracy does an awesome job and I love seeing all the talent out there on SCS.
Old 10-14-2007, 06:54 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think all these ideas are great. Just something I was pondering...

For the diva challenge we could have the option of scraplifting the page and creating a layout OR scraplifting the layout to create a card. The layouts for pages work great as card sketches and inspiration too. That would also get some card markers in here to play as well (hopefully).

I really like the idea of picking a page from a diva instead of her entire gallery. It could be an inspiration challenge from the Diva of the Week. Use the layout for your inspiration and get crafty! This wouldn't limit you to just a scrap page.

I'll ponder some more over this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too don't go to this challenge as often as others.
Here are my thoughts, of which some have already been said:
- choose just one layout for inspiration
- instead of casing the layout, have the option to take anything form the page, kind of like the inspirational card challenge. You could take the color combo, or a technique, or a certain design element that appeals to you.
- instead of not repeating a "diva" you, have it instead be you can't repeat a "page"

Just some thoughts to mil over
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #12  
Bunny's SunnyChick

thanks ladies...keep the ideas coming.

Donna I really like your format for suggestions. Thanks so much!
Tracy H. #31511=)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2007, 05:11 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I am a scramper, having done both for 10 years, however, lean toward cards because they are needed so much more. It takes more time to do a scrap book page, getting the pictures together, coming up with a stamped type
page; and frankly, time just hasn't allowed it, for me. I would be interested in more
designer paper cards, they are economical, can be done with a sketch and little if none stamping. I would like to see a new gallery for these type of cards. They are so economical to make and all of us scrappers have lots of
designer paper. Don't know if this suggestions applies, or if it could be done
as a bonus idea occasionally. Carolyn
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

The "Diva" challenges are usually the ones I skip because of the time it takes going through the gallery also.

I do like a couple of the ideas posted which were to select one page of an inspiration Diva.

That could be expanded to also incorporate one element of the Diva's page with one of the other challenges. This way we are using at least two of the challenges.

I do like that 'stamp' set idea too mentioned by "ratgirl", that might be a good idea to incorporate every once in awhile for the Scrapbooking Challenge thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2007, 10:53 PM   #15  
Bunny's SunnyChick

Keep 'em coming ladies...
Tracy H. #31511=)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2007, 10:54 PM   #16  
Bunny's SunnyChick

forgot to say that all your ideas are quite helpful...thanks for taking the time to share.
Tracy H. #31511=)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-16-2007, 05:28 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I like the idea about an "inspirational page"....could be a page in our own SCS gallery or a page you find out there on the web. You could create a page using the layout, color combo, or theme. Use it as a jumping off point for your own creation. It is easier when it is narrowed down to one page (or dps) vs. a whole gallery, I think.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-17-2007, 04:05 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Well. I meant to think about this and then come back to post. I've come back to make the grand announcement that.... I don't know! Aren't I helpful?:mrgreen:

But even though I have nothing creative of my own to say, I do like the idea that was suggested to pick a few of the best pages from the diva's gallery and attach or link them so we don't have to go through a whole gallery. Or even just link one page and then give guidelines for CASEing -- ie. pick two elements from the page to create a new page.

Thanks for your work, Tracy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-18-2007, 09:16 PM   #19  
Bunny's SunnyChick

I don't know if any of you remember or not but at first we "did" pick a few of our favorite pages from the chosen diva's gallery...then we also shared a link to their entire gallery for your viewing pleasure.

Does that sound better than just sharing the gallery...the previous diva would be taking the work out of the process and choosing a page or two to use as the challenge. You could peruse the divas entire gallery only if you choose to do so.

Thanks again!
Tracy H. #31511=)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampin-sunnychickView Post
I don't know if any of you remember or not but at first we "did" pick a few of our favorite pages from the chosen diva's gallery...then we also shared a link to their entire gallery for your viewing pleasure.

Does that sound better than just sharing the gallery...the previous diva would be taking the work out of the process and choosing a page or two to use as the challenge. You could peruse the divas entire gallery only if you choose to do so.

Thanks again!

I do remember that....and it was good for me......maybe having the chosen page or two and still a link to the gallery and option to choose a different page would be good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-19-2007, 08:30 AM   #21  
CraZy Cat Lady

Quote:

Originally Posted by Favorite GrandmaView Post
I do remember that....and it was good for me......maybe having the chosen page or two and still a link to the gallery and option to choose a different page would be good.
:mrgreen: I second that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2007, 06:36 PM   #22  
Pearl-ExPert

I think having guidelines would help me too. When I'm CASEing a layout I either get carried away and copy everything or I try too hard to not copy too many things, so having a direction would help me complete these quicker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #23  
Bunny's SunnyChick

I'm about ready to wrap this up so if anyone else has anything to share please do so in the next few days. THANKS SO MUCH!
Tracy H. #31511=)

Reply With Quote Likes