Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-26-2016, 12:11 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it worth it to try and sell some stamps?

If you read my earlier post you would see I'm trying to reevaluate my crafting budget for next year...not stop completely, but buy smarter. I have several stamp sets that were never or barely used. I don't have the original,packaging in most cases as I organize them in plastic sleeves (like Jennifer M.), but they are obviously in great shape. So is it worth it to try and sell say here on the sell board? I probably won't put much more effort than that in terms of purging but if I could make a little money, I'd feel better. I think I would price things very reasonably as the key is to get rid of things. Anyone done this and what wad your experience?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 02:54 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I've bought from the buy/sell board - I would venture to say you have nothing to lose by trying!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 04:38 AM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

I personally think it is a lot of work (sell, box up, head to the post office, wait for your check from the person, etc.) for a small dollar return. I box it up and drop at Goodwill for a equally small tax write off. Someone will buy! Less work. 😊
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 361 Likes on 198 Posts

I have bought a lot of great stamps on the buy/sell board and many were stamps I had never seen before or maybe they were retired. The only craft stores that I have are JoAnns (which is mostly fabrics) and Hobby Lobby (which carries mostly Paper Studio and Stampabilities brand stamps) so most of my stamp purchases are thru SU and SCS BST threads. It is work, but for someone like me I list my stamps for sell here just to give people like me the opportunity to get something they might want. If they don't sell after the 30 day time limit on the posts then I will give to Goodwill (unless I am already planning a garage sale then it goes in the sale). In the end, what doesn't sell there goes to Goodwill or the trash (gasp!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 07:34 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I sold a lot of my older, barely used stamps here and on a facebook buy/swap/share/ISO page. I had more luck on facebook, but everything sold and I made enough money to get some supplies and copics I've been wanting, with $ left over.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 07:42 AM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

I've had limited success on the buy sell section here. But I've had wonderful success with buy sell groups on Facebook that are specifically for stamps or paper crafts. I've sold at least half of my stash this way...there were so many stamps I had that I never used. It is a bit of work to pack and ship but I ended up doing better price wise on Facebook.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

I've never heard of selling on Facebook. How to you find a page of crafters or sellers?
I used to sell on Ebay, but not stamps. There are fees involved, but you can find out what items have sold for, before you list, and see if it's worth your trouble. And it's safe.
I found a posting on Craigslist in my town who was selling lots of SU stuff, and went by her house to buy. She had prepared and had her husband and grown sons there in case any wierdos came by (they did not). Those listings are free, but you have no protection around the sale, so you have to decide if you want to sell at your house, or work, or meet someone in a public place. Or if they are not in your town, you have to decide if you demand to receive the money before shipping, or if you (foolishly) trust people to pay if you ship first!
I have not posted on SCS for selling, nor have I bought here, so I don't know how it works here. I have looked at the page, but many sellers don't post photos or links to photos, so I have no idea what their stamps look like if they are retired from a company's website. I have several years of SU catalogs, but other company's stamps are a mystery to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #8  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Facebook now has the marketplace where you can take photos and then post it for sale. There are usually lots of local groups that you can join on Facebook to sell your items. I've purchased a few things that way in the past. The other person posted a lot of items that they had for sale, I just happened to see it posted. I messaged them and then we met locally at a safe place and made the exchange.
Recently purchased an old window that I'm working on to make into an art project through craigslist. Met that guy at a very busy 7/11.

Lots of options where there are no fees involved. If you have a local stamp store you might see if they have a "garage sale". Sometimes they have an event every so often where all the customers can bring their stuff for sale.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by harvestmoonView Post
I've never heard of selling on Facebook. How to you find a page of crafters or sellers?
I used to sell on Ebay, but not stamps. There are fees involved, but you can find out what items have sold for, before you list, and see if it's worth your trouble. And it's safe.
I found a posting on Craigslist in my town who was selling lots of SU stuff, and went by her house to buy. She had prepared and had her husband and grown sons there in case any wierdos came by (they did not). Those listings are free, but you have no protection around the sale, so you have to decide if you want to sell at your house, or work, or meet someone in a public place. Or if they are not in your town, you have to decide if you demand to receive the money before shipping, or if you (foolishly) trust people to pay if you ship first!
I have not posted on SCS for selling, nor have I bought here, so I don't know how it works here. I have looked at the page, but many sellers don't post photos or links to photos, so I have no idea what their stamps look like if they are retired from a company's website. I have several years of SU catalogs, but other company's stamps are a mystery to me.
Look for stamp destash groups on Facebook. One of them is called Rubber Stamps and Things. Stress Free Craft is another.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

Another Facebook group is called Stamping Addicts. I see quite a bit sell there. I've bought a few sets also.

I've had decent luck selling at rummage sales. Granted I price sets about $5.00. Paper and ink sold well too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2017, 05:33 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

would it be possible to organize a sale with other crafters in your area. this concept really provided a lot of dollars as people get excited about a garage sale that has multiple vendors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2017, 03:07 AM   #12  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

If you want to sell stamp set, you have to accept that you will get garage sale prices for them, unless you have a rare, sought-after set like Wild West. In the past, I have posted sets in the BST forum for low prices and what didn't sell I gave to Goodwill. If you have an actual garage sale, you will save the hassles of shipping.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2017, 03:39 AM   #13  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 607 Likes on 427 Posts

You might as well try here and see what happens!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2017, 06:43 AM   #14  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have bought stamps and cardstock from a few sellers here, I have always been so happy with the lovely people I have dealt with. A couple people added freebies to my box and I was floored by how generous she was ☺️

It is work for them though, once I decide what I want and we have emailed or PM'd back and forth, she has to box what I want, go to the post office with my address (which is Canadian, thereby providing another layer of work oh her part). Then she contacts me back with the amount and I send payment. For me, the postage/shipping can be a daunting price so the product I want has to be very reasonable. And I have to take into account the exchange rate. Most sellers here want to deal with US only. Which I can understand.

You will need to decide how to accept payment, people who do a lot of online transactions use PayPal. That limits who your purchasers may be. I don't use Paypal so have to agree on another method. I have dealt with another Canadian who was happy to accept a personal cheque, most don't and request an e-transfer.

Anyway, things to think about! Good luck on your decision
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm lazy and can't be bothered with the listing, communicating, packaging, etc., etc. Additionally, most of my stamp sets are incomplete because I keep what I want and get rid of the rest, so I don't bother trying to sell. I've boxed up a lot of stuff to send to people here on SCS that have a need (like Christi's "You Matter Card Project" or a newbie that can't afford much) and don't care if they're getting complete sets, since they're free. Most of the others go to a daughter who has caught "the bug". If you're ambitious enough to go through the hassle, it may be worth it to you. I have a friend who buys and sells all the time on the Facebook destash groups. I joined one, but never did anything there at all - back to lazy...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

I give everything to Sue....lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2017, 05:29 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I give everything to Sue....lol
Truer than it should be, lol! Yes, I am part of the "flow"... I wouldn't have as much to pass along - especially paper - if Amber wasn't so generous. Some things I don't share, though - like the Perfect Layers tools. I still think of you every single time I use them, so thanks again and again!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2017, 06:49 AM   #18  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Sue,I too pass along a lot of my stuff. I just sent a huge envelope to a wish-raker. I have never used the perfect layers tool, that is the one with the circles right? How do you use it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2017, 07:16 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlene_CView Post
I have bought a lot of great stamps on the buy/sell board and many were stamps I had never seen before or maybe they were retired. The only craft stores that I have are JoAnns (which is mostly fabrics) and Hobby Lobby (which carries mostly Paper Studio and Stampabilities brand stamps) so most of my stamp purchases are thru SU and SCS BST threads. It is work, but for someone like me I list my stamps for sell here just to give people like me the opportunity to get something they might want. If they don't sell after the 30 day time limit on the posts then I will give to Goodwill (unless I am already planning a garage sale then it goes in the sale). In the end, what doesn't sell there goes to Goodwill or the trash (gasp!).
This is exactly what I was thinking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2017, 11:14 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post
Sue,I too pass along a lot of my stuff. I just sent a huge envelope to a wish-raker. I have never used the perfect layers tool, that is the one with the circles right? How do you use it?
Nope - it's these: Perfect Layers Deluxe

The set that Amber gave me is the minis, which I can't find on the website. I may spring for the full-size ones if I ever decide to make things besides cards, but right now I'm fine with the 7" length of the ones I have...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2017, 07:32 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

subbing - interesting things as I scroll through
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2017, 04:12 PM   #22  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

I am thinking of getting rid of the circle things
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2017, 11:20 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

So how do you decide on the price for the sets? That seems to be the issue for me. I'm willing to do the work but how much do you charge and what about shipping, how do you ship?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2017, 12:50 PM   #24  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually do the flat rate padded envelopes. If you have a small scale at home you can weigh the package and get an estimate on the USPS web site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2017, 10:19 AM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

@ Sue I got an email today from SCS about a special at Pefect Layers. Did you get that?

I sell some at the garage sale for my big apt building 1-2x a year. But not before I check around with stamp pals for who wants....we are often sending boxes back and forth so we might just pop stuff in them and if there is something we would want back to try with someone else or to sell, we say so-otherwise they are free to pass along or do whatever with. Then it gets tossed in the box waiting to go out. Easy. I got the pizza boxes at the stationary store so I can put 12x12 paper in there if I want to. Sometimes we share orders to save on shipping, sometimes we will actually pay one another-the recipient will say "that's worth too much to give, let me give you something", it's all good.

So if you can form a circle or be part of a pass a long train...that works. I like the idea of knowing it is going to a good home w someone who will really appreciate it and (hopefully lol) use it.

It has helped us with the stuff we accidentally got a dupe on which happens to me too often no matter how hard I try to keep lists. So it's brand new...and we might not want to donate it unless we have to...except for You matter...I have sent stuff there.

I also give to a local charity I have been supporting since the 80s that helps AIDs pts/homeless called Housing Works. My problem with donating is that I have a tendency to then swing around the place and I could walk out with stuff LOL

I have bought stuff here on the sell thread with no problems.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2017, 01:56 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Location: Somewhere between here and there and enjoying the journey!

I've sold stamps at bay. Each of the two times I've done it I made $300-500 for 50 stamps sets. Really helped my funds for new stamps! Although it was a good bit of work, I think it was well worth it. The key I learned it is to start the bids low.
For my last big purge, I gave LOTS of stamps away including to Goodwill.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2017, 04:51 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

If you want to sell on Ebay you can search Completed auctions for that item. Then you can see what it actually sells for (and which ones didn't sell because they were priced too high). That way you can know what to expect an auction to go up to. You can start lower, but always remember that it may sell only for the original listed price.
I have bought a lot of stamps on Ebay through the years, always bidding with a maximum that I would pay. I have not sold any on Ebay....because I LOVE my stamps so much. I may sell some in the future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 04:39 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
@ Sue I got an email today from SCS about a special at Pefect Layers. Did you get that?

I sell some at the garage sale for my big apt building 1-2x a year. But not before I check around with stamp pals for who wants....we are often sending boxes back and forth so we might just pop stuff in them and if there is something we would want back to try with someone else or to sell, we say so-otherwise they are free to pass along or do whatever with. Then it gets tossed in the box waiting to go out. Easy. I got the pizza boxes at the stationary store so I can put 12x12 paper in there if I want to. Sometimes we share orders to save on shipping, sometimes we will actually pay one another-the recipient will say "that's worth too much to give, let me give you something", it's all good.

So if you can form a circle or be part of a pass a long train...that works. I like the idea of knowing it is going to a good home w someone who will really appreciate it and (hopefully lol) use it.

It has helped us with the stuff we accidentally got a dupe on which happens to me too often no matter how hard I try to keep lists. So it's brand new...and we might not want to donate it unless we have to...except for You matter...I have sent stuff there.

I also give to a local charity I have been supporting since the 80s that helps AIDs pts/homeless called Housing Works. My problem with donating is that I have a tendency to then swing around the place and I could walk out with stuff LOL

I have bought stuff here on the sell thread with no problems.
Yes, I did get the email - almost posted about it, but then never got around to it, so thanks.

A circle of people to swap with is a really good idea - "one man's trash" and all that...

I like the local charity that you support - I'll have to see if there is anything similar here.

And I, too, have bought things here on the Buy/Sell threads with no problem at all...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 08:55 AM   #29  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

I've sold a number of stamp sets together as a "lot" on Craigslist. I maybe didn't get as much as I might selling them individually, but the person who bought them was thrilled and I was thrilled they were gone . . .

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-01-2017, 09:14 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampin' SoozView Post
I've sold a number of stamp sets together as a "lot" on Craigslist. I maybe didn't get as much as I might selling them individually, but the person who bought them was thrilled and I was thrilled they were gone . . .

How did you come up with a price for them? I have grouped here on scs and people wanted individual sets instead of the entire lot. Honestly, that was a bit frustrating. I have a fairly large number of sets I'd like to try to sell but I want both of us to feel good about the price. I don't want them to feel taken advantage of and I don't want to feel like I'm giving them away, if I'm going to sell them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2017, 03:51 AM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 973 Likes on 472 Posts

Another vote for Ebay. It reaches a wide audience and there are options for both auctions and set prices. Definitely look at sales of the same thing. For some you will have to decide if you want to bother for what you are likely to get, for others you will be pleasantly surprised at what you can get.

Something that can save you a lot of time: put the app on your phone or tablet so that you have an easy way to add pictures of the items. Use your computer to set up the item (enter the name, description, etc.) then just save it. (Don't post it yet.) Then go in with your tablet and it's easy to add multiple pictures for each item.

It can be done on the computer, of course, but you'll need to take a photo, upload it to the computer, then add it to the listing. Not a big deal if you are only doing a handful. But when you're doing a bunch, the app way can save time.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2017, 07:43 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

If it hasn't been mentioned already, I suggest when you post your list of items for sell include PICTURES of the items ito identify them...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2017, 09:23 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

Received 88 Likes on 57 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by imthenoniView Post
How did you come up with a price for them? I have grouped here on scs and people wanted individual sets instead of the entire lot. Honestly, that was a bit frustrating. I have a fairly large number of sets I'd like to try to sell but I want both of us to feel good about the price. I don't want them to feel taken advantage of and I don't want to feel like I'm giving them away, if I'm going to sell them.
Sorry -- I didn't see this question . . . I figured the sets would average about $6 per set -- smaller 4 stamp sets less and larger sets more but I picked $6 as an average. I didn't have any "hot" ones that seem to get lots of money on Ebay - just basic sets. I set the price from there, figured in a little wiggle room and just went with it. I know what you mean about not wanting to feel like you are giving than away, but I felt like I was ready to move them on and getting something, now and all at once, was better for me than selling them piecemeal.

My Little Gallery -- Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote Likes