Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts
Default What's up with Tim Holtz stepping down?

Just read the announcement that he will no longer be Creative Director at Ranger. Is he going to start his own company?

On his blog he wrote,
"the announcement yesterday has many people expressing mixed emotions, but i want to assure you that for me personally everything will be as it was � i�m going to continue my journey in this industry as a designer. all of my product lines including ranger (distress & alcohol ink), advantus idea-ology, sizzix alterations, stampers anonymous, tonic studios, and westminster/coats eclectic elements will continue as i strive to push the limits of innovation and inspiration. my sincere appreciation for the kind words of support and excitement for what lies ahead. i believe everything happens for a reason, it�s often a matter of adjusting our perspective to see it that way � so here�s to new adventures�t!m"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 01:05 PM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I am wondering the same thing; he mentioned that they would continue the inks but what about all the other products they produce under his name like the multi-medium, the embossing paste, the crackle mediums, glossy accents, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't think Multi Medium Matte or the Accents line (Glossy, Enamel, etc.) was Tim Holtz? If you look under Brand/Product, Product, or Designer on the Ranger site, those aren't listed under his name.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Wow. That is news.

What I got from that is all the product will continue to go on. Has so many he could not list them all. But I could be wrong.

However, I dont know if this was necessarily his choice:

i believe everything happens for a reason, it’s often a matter of adjusting our perspective to see it that way

He does have his fingers in a lot of pies. Maybe Ranger wants someone who is dedicated just to them?

He is such a "household word" in the industry, I am not worried for him. For whatever reason it happened, I believe he will be fine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
I didn't think Multi Medium Matte or the Accents line (Glossy, Enamel, etc.) was Tim Holtz? If you look under Brand/Product, Product, or Designer on the Ranger site, those aren't listed under his name.
I was not able to find Multi Medium Matte in any local stores, but I found Tim Holtz Distress Collage Medium, matte, and I was told it's the same thing. Haven't opened it yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 06:59 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GypsyRoseStamperView Post
Just read the announcement that he will no longer be Creative Director at Ranger. Is he going to start his own company?

On his blog he wrote,
"the announcement yesterday has many people expressing mixed emotions, but i want to assure you that for me personally everything will be as it was � i�m going to continue my journey in this industry as a designer. all of my product lines including ranger (distress & alcohol ink), advantus idea-ology, sizzix alterations, stampers anonymous, tonic studios, and westminster/coats eclectic elements will continue as i strive to push the limits of innovation and inspiration. my sincere appreciation for the kind words of support and excitement for what lies ahead. i believe everything happens for a reason, it�s often a matter of adjusting our perspective to see it that way � so here�s to new adventures�t!m"
WOW!!!! I hadn't heard that! What a surprise!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 07:58 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

:o:o:o Wow! :o
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 05:13 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

My immediate thought is that they wanted someone more neutral to equally promote all the designers brands. I think he is fabulous and will continue to do very well.

However, yes, the announcement was a bit odd...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

You never know, do you? Ranger wanting to go in a different direction or wanting a fresh face, time alotted to non-Tim products, salary, relationships, combo... When I was in HR, the rare and painful times we had to let someone go, the rumors would fly and were almost never on target. He'll land on his feet and then soar for sure. Good old inevitable change.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 08:57 AM   #10  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Default Exciting!

I'm happy for t!m...this sounds exciting...change is good...like he always says, it's about the journey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post

However, I dont know if this was necessarily his choice:

i believe everything happens for a reason, it�s often a matter of adjusting our perspective to see it that way

Agree - sentence jumped out at me too.

Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I too saw the ' everything happens for a reason' quote, and agree that rather hints that either the decision wasn't his- or he wasn't happy with something that was going to happen? If I read it correctly, he says that all his product lines with Ranger- et al- will continue, but I notice he does not say his working with them will continue. I'd go with GypsyRoseStampers thought- he will be starting his own company. After all, he will have the copyright on a huge range of stuff, and if the truth is told I think a lot of Ranger products wouldn't sell as well as they do if his name wasn't attached.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Whether the trademarks belong to him or Ranger would depend on the employment agreement or contract that was negotiated, as would any percentage of future sales. I hope both he and Ranger end up satisfied; they provide so much to the community.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 10:10 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You know the adage - Follow the money. Probably something to do with renewing a contract, etc. Maybe they wanted him to do more things for the company, and he wasn't happy about the compensation for it.

When someone is as creative as Holtz, maybe there were too many business duties, administrative, etc. and he felt boxed in from doing what he loves to do.

Kind of like doctors who are promoted, but miss caring for patients.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Wow -the CHA Ranger booth will not be the same without him . I think some people stopped to watch him because he was such a delightful character
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

The "effective immediately" part makes me think it was a sudden decision. Maybe a falling-out over something. I'm sure they'll both come out of this standing on their feet. Honestly, this might allow the other Ranger designers to shine a little more, and it will probably allow Tim to go in a new direction.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 01:32 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Here is the announcement. It says he will continue to work with Ranger as a Ranger Signature Designer just not as Creative Director

Looks to me like a little in-fighting on the creative direction of the Ranger line
Tim's emphasis is on bold- artsy techniques and designs. Maybe the company power players want more flowers and foo-foo

the journey continues? | Tim Holtz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 01:40 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
The "effective immediately" part makes me think it was a sudden decision. Maybe a falling-out over something.
Yah one can almost hear the power player egos clashing and crashing in that statement LOL

I am sure the dust will settle and the Ranger customers will still have the products they want
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 04:06 PM   #19  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,911 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Tim has a distinct style that seems to stay the same. Kind of vintage, shabby chic, antique-y. Maybe they want someone who can go with many different styles. I love the distress inks and crazy birds, cats and dogs.. I love him and agree he will do fine. I have lots of his products...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 04:34 PM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
Tim has a distinct style that seems to stay the same. Kind of vintage, shabby chic, antique-y. Maybe they want someone who can go with many different styles. I love the distress inks and crazy birds, cats and dogs.. I love him and agree he will do fine. I have lots of his products...
I agree. His style is so distinct most of us can recognize his stamps and products even if they don't have a name on them. Maybe Ranger wants to promote more of their diverse styles and products . Of course Tim as the Creative Director was going to promote the products he developed .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

From my armchair quarterbacking position lol...

Well maybe they were having problems getting/keeping other designers. Tim's shadow in Ranger was pretty large imo. I dont think I know another designer off the top my head for them besides Wendi Vecci. Or they felt their stuff wasnt getting a fair shake and he was getting priority.

Who knows. The telling line to me there was Ranger talking about "developing new lines"...and how "he was designing for other companies". I gotta tell you-you are a director for me, I want you exclusively to me. That level is different from designer/artist. But this industry could be very different. I dont know of anyone else who had a deal like that but I again, I dont know the players.

The idea of contract renewal beefs sounds very possible too, as does other suggestions here.

Both are powerhouses. Both will be totally fine. I think it will interesting to see how he lands-his own company or staying as a designer to multiple companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 01:07 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I had another look at the statement, and it says 'continue with Distress Inks and Alcohol Inks'. There is a huge range of other Ranger stuff carrying his name at the moment, so that looks to me like they may be making the range carrying his name smaller?They have Tim, Dyan and Dina- all totally different in their styles, and maybe they are trying to rein him in a little, with less products?
This does seem to be a sudden thing, so I'm guessing that as some are saying, contract renewal was involved here, and for whatever reason, he wasn't happy.
Pretty sure we'll be seeing Tim Holtz Limited fairly soon,or as soon as any tie-up clauses in contracts expire.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 04:53 AM   #23  
Gallery Gazer

Yeah, we have no idea what happened; Ranger and Tim aren't telling. It could be simple, complicated, a long time brewing, a short time coming. Consumers probably won't be affected, or not much, and new products and directions will reveal themselves!

As long as Ranger Multi Medium Matte continues life will continue normally. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 10:40 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

These statements would be great in a literature class! apparently every word and phrase can be analyzed, understood and interpreted in myriad ways. im still curious to hear some objecive facts beyond the actual statements
Reply With Quote Likes