Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-24-2015, 06:41 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What hobby would you pursue If...

you decided to stop card making? I've been reading some posts about people who are toying with the idea of packing it all in. Quite frankly, that thought has crossed my mind now and again. The thing is, I know that I couldn't just stop being creative , I would need some other hobby to take its place.

What other hobbies are you curious about?

Lisa

Lisa
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 06:55 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've started to segue into art journaling and bookmaking. I know I will always do something with paper! And I might add other hobbies, but it will always be first in my mind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 07:03 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was late to the party on cardmaking and papercrafting, and only started it in 2005. I do love it, and think I will probably always make cards.

But I have to confess I'm sort of an equal-opportunity hobbyist. I have been sewing since I was a teenager many years ago, and I also love to crochet.

I made a whole bunch of cards about a week ago, and now I'm on a sewing jag and have made dresses for two of my granddaughters, with a couple more cut out and ready to sew.

I am never at a loss for things to spend my money on!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 07:55 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm a card maker, still do some scrapbooking, make beaded earrings, necklaces and bracelets, do counted cross stitch [15+ Christmas ornaments yearly] and charted needlepoint. I've probably done every type of craft and come back to some every few years. I've knitted sweaters and afghans but knitting now hurts my arthritic hands so I've stopped that hobby. But I still have a garage full of crafting items and who knows what I'll resume doing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

I also knit and crochet so I would get more ine with those two things.

Although I take breaks for a week or to at a time, I cant imagine totaly giving up making card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 11:33 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would play the piano and the accordion more, and I would start to make more miniature furniture for my Calico Critter (a brand of toys) Mouse family (I've already made them three beds, some chairs and a table). Instead of making them out of cardboard or paper, I might even make some out of wood (if I wasn't spending any more money on cards).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2015, 11:33 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Knitting and crochet, am currently crocheting an Autumn Wreath from Attic24.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 12:47 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

Like Sophie I'd play music more (piano and flute), and more dress-making. I still manage to fit in a reasonable amount of knitting and embroidery. The only thing on my wishlist for when I have more time is patchwork. But I'm not planning on giving up card-making any time soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 03:45 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 587 Likes on 240 Posts

I don't plan to pack it in any time, ever, but when I get my new house with a real stamp room, I plan to make a space for sewing and get back into that a bit. I used to love to sew but it took a back seat, for reasons of time and space and money, to stamping and scrapping.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 03:58 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I don't think stamping is an all-or-nothing hobby, and it plays well with others. I would never give it up completely. I also scrapbook, art journal, and bead. Occasionally I knit, crochet, and make latch-hooked rugs. Now I color too, although I've been doing that for almost 13 years with my stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 04:02 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't think I'll ever give up card making! But I do switch to decorative painting for a few months and then come back to card making.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 04:46 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried to give up stamping completely a few years ago and after a 2 year break started getting the hankering to start doing it again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 06:09 AM   #13  
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Cookies! Ive always wanted to learn to bake and decorate fun cookies with royal icing. In December, I bought myself a kitchen aid mixer, supplies and went to town. After reading alot of tutorials and recipes I jumped in. My main objective was to make sure the cookies tasted good. Alot of work goes into them and if they taste like crap and nobody likes them it would be a waste of time. Decorating them is alot like paper crafting/mixed media but you use cookies instead of paper. It's very creative too.

Of couse, I have way too much invested in stamping/scrapbooking so I doubt I'll ever give that up (nor do I want to).
Attached Thumbnails
What hobby would you pursue If...-lori.jpg   What hobby would you pursue If...-st.-patricks-day.jpg  

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 06:19 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 290 Likes on 114 Posts

To me it's not either/or - I do a variety of things, and probably always will. Right now I have two chairs in different stages of refinishing/reupholstering, a painting partially finished, a baby quilt in the works, and some wall hangings for my sisters in the beginning phases. I also have a few wrap bracelets planned and materials gathered, but haven't actually started on them yet. If my apartment wasn't on the second floor I'd take a drive to California and get my piano out of storage so I could play... I read somewhere once that multiple unfinished projects is the sign of a creative mind - I'm going with that thought, lol!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 06:24 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

get back into Crosstitching :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 06:58 AM   #16  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I've started to segue into art journaling and bookmaking. I know I will always do something with paper! And I might add other hobbies, but it will always be first in my mind.
Same here! I enjoy bookmaking and Sea Lemon has some great videos. The first time I tried bookmaking, I didn't even need to buy any supplies and when done, I thought, "that was easy!"

I've gotten back into word art (did a lot as a child) and it is so relaxing.

I'm a knitter, so that is always a break from paper crafting, too.

When I go through periods when my creative juices aren't flowing, I play at the crafts things I enjoy.

Last edited by Sew It Seams; 07-25-2015 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 07:58 AM   #17  
Inking Addict

Along with others who have posted before, I'm usually involved with more than one hobby at a time. The focus for quite a few years has been papercrafts, scrapbooks and cardmaking - which has led me to play more with watercolors, markers, colored pencils - might be drifting to try some mixed media projects.

If I dropped the papercrafts, I'd have more time to keep learning more about crochet, get back to doing more sewing (but I tend to look at that as more of a necessary thing rather than a hobby - *had* to sew clothes growing up, unfortunately, it still seems like more of a chore). Embroidery/needlework of all kinds might be fun again (too bad my eyes are not as good as they once were! That could be a challenge.)

There are so many possibilities - things I've tried before and things I think would be fun to try. Model railroading looks fascinating, not so much for the trains, but creating the buildings and backgrounds!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 08:39 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacquelineView Post
Cookies! Ive always wanted to learn to bake and decorate fun cookies with royal icing. In December, I bought myself a kitchen aid mixer, supplies and went to town. After reading alot of tutorials and recipes I jumped in. My main objective was to make sure the cookies tasted good. Alot of work goes into them and if they taste like crap and nobody likes them it would be a waste of time. Decorating them is alot like paper crafting/mixed media but you use cookies instead of paper. It's very creative too.

Of couse, I have way too much invested in stamping/scrapbooking so I doubt I'll ever give that up (nor do I want to).
Wow! Your cookies are just wonderful! Do you have a business, or just make them for fun? And I agree, they must taste good to make it worthwhile. I've bought fancy cookies that had no taste whatsoever.

Several years ago I bought a great set of cookie cutters for fancy cookies from the shopping channel. Sigh, I still have the set in the box and no cookies. Maybe someday....

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I've always wanted to learn how to quilt. Maybe, one day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 09:47 AM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Great topic!!!

I would devote more time to music. Specifically the guitar. Ive lost the calluses on my fingertips. I will play with a group a couple times a year and each time my fingers are super sore. I have no calluses.
And my piano needs attention too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I take breaks (sometimes very long breaks) from hobbies, but I usually go back to them at some point. Right now I'm into knitting and crocheting again. I've been doing that off and on for over 40 years (started when I was about 8 years old). I have several hobbies and all the supplies for them in my basement - much to my husband's chagrin because we'll be moving in a couple months and I can't bare to give up any of it although I will have to let some of it go. :( I am looking forward though to have the space to start sewing again. I use to make all my own clothes and really enjoyed it. I even started making prom dresses & custom fit clothing for plus size women when I was in university to make some extra money. I will get back to card making & scrapbooking after I move and get my craft room set up again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 10:41 AM   #22  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

I bake and cook as well, I forgot about that :-) it can be as creative and relaxing as paper crafts. Bit OT but have you followed Julia Usher on YouTube? True artistry in edible form!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Quote:

I too want to make pretty cookies and I have all the stuff but I cant find a good recipe for icing that stays ON the cookie even with outlining. I have asked all over and I keep hearing royal but that isnt it....I am very frustrated.

I am sitting on a big bead inventory from when I was in the biz-the company I worked for paid me with them (dont ask) so at some point I have to make stuff with them and get em out of here.

Right now I am finally finishing up a quilt project-my first and LAST thank you veyr much. I got an idea, created a design for a friend to sew, took me 10 years to gather the fabrics (abt 200). We just finished the front (back was done) and I have to take it for longarming. I always had a lot of respect for quilters but that has quadrupled now! Now I am trying sell off the extra fabric. I am not even sure I "love" the front but it is growing on me. Yet again-the thing of what I see not translating in reality well which I struggle with cards with all the time.

I have dabbled in several other things...wood burning (still have the scar on my leg where the tool dropped), 3D cards with xacto knife-that was cool, a bit of embroidery, made a couple of simple pillows, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Bite your tongue! I've tried them all, and making cards is what stuck.

Machine sewing, hand-sewing, crochet, quilting, basket-making, cross stitch, painting, jewelry, embroidery, scrapbooking- you name it, I've probably tried it. But cardmaking is my passion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #25  
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

I have good recipe for royal icing. I use Wilton merengue powder rather than the raw egg white version and use bakery emulsions for flavoring, not extracts (be careful if you use extract - make sure it doesn't contain oil). Humidity and the amount of liquid can affect the icing outcome. I'd be happy to share my recipe with you if you'd like to give it a try. PM me if so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I too want to make pretty cookies and I have all the stuff but I cant find a good recipe for icing that stays ON the cookie even with outlining. I have asked all over and I keep hearing royal but that isnt it....I am very frustrated.

I am sitting on a big bead inventory from when I was in the biz-the company I worked for paid me with them (dont ask) so at some point I have to make stuff with them and get em out of here.

Right now I am finally finishing up a quilt project-my first and LAST thank you veyr much. I got an idea, created a design for a friend to sew, took me 10 years to gather the fabrics (abt 200). We just finished the front (back was done) and I have to take it for longarming. I always had a lot of respect for quilters but that has quadrupled now! Now I am trying sell off the extra fabric. I am not even sure I "love" the front but it is growing on me. Yet again-the thing of what I see not translating in reality well which I struggle with cards with all the time.

I have dabbled in several other things...wood burning (still have the scar on my leg where the tool dropped), 3D cards with xacto knife-that was cool, a bit of embroidery, made a couple of simple pillows, etc.

Instagram: @jacqueline_worksforstamps
Blog: Works For Stamps

Come join the TEAparty every Tuesday! Click here for details.

"Stamping is an addiction & therapy rolled into one"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 07:43 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

I really don't foresee ever stopping making cards, but I did stop sewing after child #3 and I could see sewing again when the grandkids start to arrive. I've always been interested in the idea of quilting, but probably more small scale artistic quilting rather than full size, follow a pattern type. I've purchased a bunch of yarn with the idea of arm knitting, but I need an in-house tutor to get the hang of it....just can't seem to grasp it watching videos. I'm an avid reader and have always been caught by the idea of writing a book, but I'm not sure I really have it in me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 08:41 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed cross-stitching, and would do it again, but I have to hold the cloth so close to my face, it makes me cross-eyed. What I really need is one of those big magnifying lights, but I'd want one that sits on the floor so I can do it in the living room, and I don't really feel like making that kind of investment when there's no place for me to go try the lights IRL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 09:14 PM   #28  
Glitter Guru

I *will* learn to make stained glass pieces. I really will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2015, 11:31 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

I have already started going back to doing Calligraphy and playing my flute .

I have not done either in 30 years and it is like starting over. However , the plus is it comes back a lot faster that when I learned to do Calligraphy or play the flute the first time .

I didn't need to spend a week playing just the head joint to get a " C" that is on key or spend a week trying to learn the angle of the pen to write a respectable letter "O" :lol::lol:

I saved all of my calligraphy pens and supplies , music and music stand, metronome and flute so the only cost was to buy ink and have my flute tuned up.

I always save most of the equipment for any hobby I really enjoyed. I only toss stuff when I didn't enjoy doing it .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2015, 02:42 AM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Miniatures ...
I want to learn how to make miniature fabric-covered furniture. Miniature tables and chairs. Miniature books. Miniature kitchen items. And then I want to build a doll house or two to put them in.

I've been fascinated by miniatures ever since I saw a miniature working television on display at Knotts Berry Farm back in the in the mid-to-late 1960s. Back then a teeny tiny TV was a sight to behold. And no, it was not color. It was black & white, just like the TV we had at home.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2015, 03:06 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

The reason I love card making so much is that no other hobby ever really caught my eye and I can't sew, knit or draw!

When I was in my early 20's I was into veggie gardening, canning and freezing, and I've gotten back into that on a smaller scale.

Then there's coloring......I've gotten into that the past year.

I've toyed with embroidery. I saw a cute kit at Target. I did a bit of that in my late teens, 20's.

Last edited by Allistamps123; 07-26-2015 at 03:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2015, 05:39 AM   #32  

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

It seems like I have done something creative my whole life, drawing, cross stitching, etc. One thing you won't see on my cards is sewing. I tried sewing and even made my own clothes for awhile. That's one thing that is not for me. I could never be precise enough to enjoy it.

What I LOVE about card making is I can pursue so many different art mediums and put it on a card. I will be honest I am a tiny bit restless. I LOVED cross stitching intricate patterns on the tiniest woven fabrics but it took me forever to finish. I delight in being able to finish a card in a few hours to at most a few days. If it turns out terrible I don't have all that much time into it and can toss it. I always learn something and so long as I ignore my perfectionist tendencies the process of making art is so freeing. Then the icing on the cake is that I get to give away what I have done!

Like everyone else I go through my slumps but I have a hard time thinking that I would ever pack it all in. I might take a nice long break and read a dozen books and watch a dozen movies but I can't stay away too long. There's always something new to try!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Great responses ladies. So much talent in one place, it's so inspiring!

Sewing seems to be a really popular activity for many of you. I confess to be hopeless at most aspects of it.

Jacqueline's cookies are amazing! Just beautiful! I bet they are just as delicious as they look.

I still love card making but am always open to new hobbies; thanks for all the interesting ideas!

Lisa

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2015, 06:22 AM   #34  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree! Crafty types are just so creative! I love to read about all the talents that SCSers possess. Truly remarkable. I wish you were all my next door neighbors. Wouldn't we have fun? We could craft together, I would put on the coffee, and we could all eat Jacqueline's cookies!

In recent years, I've been intrigued with rug hooking. I've heard that its a very expensive hobby, though, so I've put that one off. Instead, I learned to punch needle a few years back, which is very similar to rug hooking but on a small scale. I wish I could quilt. I love the look, but don't have the patience for sewing machines.

I still love to cross stitch (there's a shop in the new town I moved to, so no doubt I will take it up again soon!), and I love to garden. I dabble in journalling, bible journalling, and watercolors when the mood strikes. We have a piano, and my youngest son takes lessons. I wish I could, too. I've played instruments all my life, but not a great proficient. I would love to find someone to give me some lessons on my dulcimer one day.

I moved recently, so a lot of my creative energy is getting poured into house remodelling and updating. Same concepts as card making (color? texture? proportion?), just done on a bigger scale. It's quite fun, and so rewarding to see the progress. (Allistamps, I have a front porch again! And it wraps around to boot!)

My husband calls me The Dabbler, and I guess it's true. I'm interested in too many things to focus on just one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2015, 06:55 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

My life has been upside down for the past 6 months or more. We sold our house and moved across country - bought another house and have been busy painting and updating it. DH travels a lot so mowing, painting and maintenance is on my shoulders now. Card making is on the back burner.

I always wanted to quilt. Right now I need to get 4 Christmas stockings made and send to my daughter before Christmas (none have even been started yet!).

What I would REALLY like to do is just be Grandma! Spend time with my grandkids (who live in another state) - play, make cookies, read to them and Love on them a lot!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 AM   #36  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I read the title and thought 'napping' lol, it is Monday and I am exhausted lol!:grin:

I have like most of you been 'crafty' all my life, from colouring, making earrings, making embroidery bracelets, cross stitch, card making...if I gave up card making, I might dabble more in Photography or expand my cooking skills, I am not bad in the kitchen but lack finesse.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have stamping and card making on the back burner right now. I'll probably never give it up entirely, but it isn't my primary hobby right now.

I draw and want to learn to paint. I have also begun to work with polymer clay and that is my new #1. I do best with it if I can have a good block of uninterrupted time, so when I have just a few minutes to pull something out and work on it, I've been working with metal embossing. And I took a brief class in pyrography so I still play around with that. The instructor is an amazing artist:

Steven Hawkes Pyrography Wood Burning

My daughter and I are also becoming interested in photography and digital effects. I've always loved to read so I've been making more time for that, too. But if there's one other crafty sort of hobby I'd like to try it would be needle felting.

Jacqueline - thanks for sharing your cookie photos and the tips. I will be writing to you for your recipe. My daughter would like to learn this for 4H next year . Your cookies are gorgeous!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #38  
Mad Swapper

-Crocheting (there are a lot of us hookers here, aren't there?)
-Sewing (baby quilts mostly)
-Decorating my house
-I would like to take some classes and learn to watercolor. I love landscapes with flowers in them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2015, 09:48 AM   #39  
Matboard Maniac

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think I would like to try knitting and/or sewing, but I won't give up stamping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #40  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

I love quilts and have made a few small ones. I loved watching Georgia Bonesteel's shows on lapquilting way back in the 80's.

If I were to give up card making and paper crafting completely, I think I would pick up quilting again. (in between art journaling, of course!).
Reply With Quote Likes