Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid ribbon question

Ok, I must have nothing to do, because I am asking this ribbon question. It dawned on me, when I made my last card, I was looking for ribbon and trying to find the best one. I looked juuuuusst on the surface of my ribbon basket. Did I take out all the ribbon? Dig around in the bottom? NOPE! Just saw something on top and thought 'this will do'.

Ok, it did the trick (quite fortunate this time), but I am sooo lazy. I will not look for the perfect ribbon for a card.

Do you?

MY GALLERY

"Do Not Take Yourself too Seriously.... No One Else Does"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:12 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

I do the same thing. And I have some beautiful ribbons that just never get used.

I keep thinking I will make some cards using ribbons as the inspiration, to make sure I use them. I need to figure out a better system!

I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end. - Margaret Thatcher

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/dstfrommi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Yes! I will dig like a crazy person through my entire ribbon supply until I find the perfect one! I've been know to take a pair of scissors with me and snip little pieces of different ribbons to try, until I find the perfect one. So yes, you're lazy and I'm crazy. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:21 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

I store my ribbon wrapped on clothes pins in glass jars, seperated by color. So it's easy for me to see what ribbon I have and need.

If you have room to do something similar I would suggest it, not only does it help you out but it looks really nice, like candy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

OH Gosh, matching things like ribbon is what take me ever so long to make a card. It can take me hours :o to get a card and all the embellishments to match. I really think it's an obsession sometimes :rolleyes: Just matching the paper can be a struggle on some days, never mind ribbon ;) I bet your cards come out absolutley wonderful doing it your way, too! I think I will try it next time :p
Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
I store my ribbon wrapped on clothes pins in glass jars, seperated by color. So it's easy for me to see what ribbon I have and need.

If you have room to do something similar I would suggest it, not only does it help you out but it looks really nice, like candy!
Could you share a picture, I would love to see.

I have mine in plastic shoe boxes, so I usually can pick the best one. Although I have been known to use what is on my table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #7  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by denidillView Post
Ok, I must have nothing to do, because I am asking this ribbon question. It dawned on me, when I made my last card, I was looking for ribbon and trying to find the best one. I looked juuuuusst on the surface of my ribbon basket. Did I take out all the ribbon? Dig around in the bottom? NOPE! Just saw something on top and thought 'this will do'.

Ok, it did the trick (quite fortunate this time), but I am sooo lazy. I will not look for the perfect ribbon for a card.

Do you?
I hoard my ribbon so if any actually make it onto a card I probably designed the card around the ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:45 PM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

This is my shelving unit with stamps, ribbon and alterables. The jars are from Ikea $4 and $2. I have a red/pink large jar, small neutral, small, brown and large green/blue jar.

I used to have more ribbon in many colors but I sort through them every 5 months and if I don't use it I give it away. It helps me to keep only what I use and create room for more ribbon, lol.

Stamp storage by ebethneu at Splitcoaststampers

The picture below is from a year ago when I started to move them over to the jars. It didn't take me a year to do my ribbon though, lol.
Attached Thumbnails
stupid ribbon question-1025280824_79974ae495.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 07:54 PM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebethneuView Post
This is my shelving unit with stamps, ribbon and alterables. The jars are from Ikea $4 and $2. I have a red/pink large jar, small neutral, small, brown and large green/blue jar.

I used to have more ribbon in many colors but I sort through them every 5 months and if I don't use it I give it away. It helps me to keep only what I use and create room for more ribbon, lol.

Stamp storage by ebethneu at Splitcoaststampers

The picture below is from a year ago when I started to move them over to the jars. It didn't take me a year to do my ribbon though, lol.
Thanks for the pics. They are so cute, what a great idea. When I have the room I will be doing this with mine. I only have a small corner of my bedroom, but am hoping to add on a stamp room. My DH calls it a computer room, I'll let him think that. LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 08:17 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I store my ribbon in clear plastic containers, so I can easily see what is in there. I am one who will dig until I find just the right one, or I won't finish the card at all!

Just Monkeying Around....
I design for: Bugaboo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 10:01 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

I have a mens tie rack .. from the $ store .. it is about 14 inches long and has 2 rows of 12 prongs offset ...it is hung just above my desk with all my loose ribbon... ribbon shorter than a yard or so... it is in full view and so handy and then my DF has made me a lovely ribbon rack that is hung behind me for the spools. I was and am going to paint it but I couldn't wait to get it up and get my spools out of the jumbled up box

Ribbon Rack for spools by Bumpy_38 at Splitcoaststampers

Ribbon / Tie Rack by Bumpy_38 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2008, 10:07 PM   #12  
Rubber Obsessor

I wrapped my ribbon around the "disgarded" inserts from the CD cases I used when I unmounted all my stamps.

I got a large snap together photo box at walmart for less than $5 and they fit perfect in them.

I kept my SU ribbon on the spools, but I had ordered a bunch of ribbon for ribbonretreat.com and that ribbon just came rolled up.

It's super to open the box and see at a glance what I have!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 12:57 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a puleez ribbon carrier (bought from Stamping Bella) that I love. It holds all my ribbon and I can see what's what quite easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 04:36 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

ribbon is my favorite embellishment... when using it i sure do search!

i am a ribbon HO!!!

last count i had over 270 rolls of ribbon. (and have bought more at least 3 times)

i have mine divided into... (i use the plastic sweater and shoe boxes)

black & white

red

metalic

pastel

bright

jewel tone

my christmas themed ribbon is in another drawer in my closet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 05:14 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love ribbon, if the ribbon is not one color, I start from the ribbon when I make a card and I match the cardstock colors and embellishments and patterned paper to it. So usually I am in search of perfect cardstock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Agonize over the right ribbon for hours...sometimes days...thought maybe I didn't have enough choices, so guess what I did? (please see previous DENIDILL thread). Now I find that I just have more choices to agonize over...GRrrr!

Anyone have any ribbon-picking-out-tips? What elements of your card do you look at when choosing your ribbon?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 05:46 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

Yes....but, only b/c I have them on a rod right above my head so I can see all of them at once..lol In addition, I'm a perfectionist when it comes to crafts so, of COURSE I have to make sure I have the right color, texture, etc. :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a shoe box full of ribbon. I have taken all of it off the spools so there is more room. (yes it is a mess!) but I will empty it every time I make a card to find the perfect ribbon! I think ribbon is my favorite embellishment! It is just so pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 07:39 AM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ribbon is one of my addictions! I LOVE it. Last year there was a local craft/scrapbook store that was going out of buisness and selling off all the ribbon they had. I went crazy and bought so much. Most was by the yard so then I had to come up with a way to store it. I like to see things out so that I remember what I have but I wanted a "clean" way to store everything. This is what I came up with:

My Studio by 14everridge at Splitcoaststampers

I LOVE the way that it looks. So bright and colorful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 07:41 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KayInFLView Post
I have a puleez ribbon carrier (bought from Stamping Bella) that I love. It holds all my ribbon and I can see what's what quite easily.
My ribbon storage is great. I put everything on fiber cards. If it is only a few yards it goes on the small card and into Darice 17 section storage boxes. If it is a large amount I wrap it on the larger fiber cards and store it in 12 x 12 drawers, similar to a storage system I saw on this site. My problem is what do you do with little pieces that I couldn't think of throwing (gasp!) but yet are too short to store on cards? Would this puleez ribbon carrier be the answer? Does anyone have a great idea? Thanks a bunch!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 07:59 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

I have all my ribbon in plastic containers separated by color. I have pink, ornage, red, blue, green, gingham, organdy, Papertrey, Grosgrain, and American Crafts. They are all overflowing!
I do rummage through when I want a color...wasting a good bit of time!

Elezebeth, I love your ribbon organization! I have the same glass containers for ribbon scraps, mesh, buttons, metal atgs, ect. I have the smaller ones, though. I may have to take a look to see if I can find some bigger ones and reorganize!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 09:37 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

I have the smaller one's too with the little metal lids that I have some random stuff in, those really bug me though cause I want to use that space better. I just went through them and gave away a bunch of embellies with sets people bought from me.

I love Ikea for my storage stuff, inexpensive but nice looking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampininthesunView Post
I have all my ribbon in plastic containers separated by color. I have pink, ornage, red, blue, green, gingham, organdy, Papertrey, Grosgrain, and American Crafts. They are all overflowing!
I do rummage through when I want a color...wasting a good bit of time!

Elezebeth, I love your ribbon organization! I have the same glass containers for ribbon scraps, mesh, buttons, metal atgs, ect. I have the smaller ones, though. I may have to take a look to see if I can find some bigger ones and reorganize!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Ribbon tips:

I tend to use 2 styles of ribbon the most, satin or grosgrain, most of the ribbon I have are one of those two. I will also get some patterned once in a while in a set or if it's a pattern that I know I will use.

I generally use satin or any ribbon with a sheen on a more elegant, or feminine card. I also like the SU taffeta ribbons in chocolate or basic grey for this look too. PTI's aqua mist is one of my fave satins, just such a pretty color!

Grosgrain ribbon I feel is more flexible, it can swing from casual, to masculine and just about everything. I really like WIDE grosgrain, 5/8 inch. Jacksonbelle has a 1 inch satin with a grosgrain edge that I am really interested in trying! My fave GG colors are vanilla (the ultimate swing color!), PTI sweet blush, and red.

I have a twill tape ribbon from PTI that I find is hard for me to use. It seems almost too casual for anything I make so I haven't used it that much. I probably won't buy a twill again.

I recently bought a set of ribbons from MM that coordinate with the Audrey line of embellies. It has some fancier edged ribbons and patterns that I wouldn't normally buy but since they went with some brads and other elements I will be able to use them more.

I used to love to dig through the $1 bin at Michaels for ribbons, because at $1how could you not buy a roll? But I have found that those are the ribbons that just sit unused because the pattern was too strong or the colors weren't right. So now I don't look at it because I haven't found one that I actually used.

I would suggest sorting through your ribbon every 4-6 months, if you haven't used it then give it to goodwill or RAK it.

And that is probably more than anyone EVER wanted to know about my ribbon choices.:rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by lisa fosterView Post
Agonize over the right ribbon for hours...sometimes days...thought maybe I didn't have enough choices, so guess what I did? (please see previous DENIDILL thread). Now I find that I just have more choices to agonize over...GRrrr!

Anyone have any ribbon-picking-out-tips? What elements of your card do you look at when choosing your ribbon?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 10:43 AM   #24  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

I would look for ribbon I know I have. It's pretty much in 3 plastic boxes, one is fibres. One is twill ribbon, one is organza. And one of them has a bag of shorter scraps. But I guess I rummage through them often enough to have a good idea of what there is - only I am definitely missing some leaf braid that I couldn't possibly have used up yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 10:49 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by annie*View Post
My ribbon storage is great. I put everything on fiber cards. If it is only a few yards it goes on the small card and into Darice 17 section storage boxes. If it is a large amount I wrap it on the larger fiber cards and store it in 12 x 12 drawers, similar to a storage system I saw on this site. My problem is what do you do with little pieces that I couldn't think of throwing (gasp!) but yet are too short to store on cards? Would this puleez ribbon carrier be the answer? Does anyone have a great idea? Thanks a bunch!!

I think it depends on how short the pieces are - but if they are long enough to poke through the holes in the puleez thingy, I imagine it would be okay. I keep all my little pieces in a big glass mason jar - not very organized but it works for me, and it looks pretty too
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 404 Likes on 305 Posts

270! You are the ribbon queen!

I, too, keep mine is clear jars so I can see them - they look SO PRETTY on my shelf, all color coordinated and where I can see them (that's my theme - if I see it, it's used!) Only I wasn't so fancy, mine are empty jelly & jam jars that were also too pretty to throw out (forget the name, the lids look like little quilts!)

I personally ADORE ribbons & buttons & brads - I try to use them on many cards. I don't necessarily plan a card around one, but I have, on more than one occasion, tried to match it out of my vast assortment. Nearly always something matches or comes pretty close, as least in the color family

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My Instagram: kellyannsanti
My YouTube channel

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 12:31 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

I am the worst ribbon slu* (last letter is a "T") I love it and can't get enough of it! I love to feel ribbon, run it through my hands, want every color/size/variety possible. Proof? This photo was taken 2 years ago. Since then, both drawers are packed and need to either clean out or start a third drawer.

I have a problem, an addiction, and love it.

Here is my problem:

Pam's craft room by dacpam at Splitcoaststampers

PS this phot was taken AFTER I cleaned out about 25% of the ribbon!

Here is a second photo. The top drawer is all my loose pieces of ribbon. Notice the mound coming out of that drawer.

Pam's craft room by dacpam at Splitcoaststampers

Do you think I have a problem?

Last edited by dacpam; 06-22-2008 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #28  
Hyper Typer

Send a message via Skype™ to papermoon04

Check out my blog on Tuesday or Wednesday. I have a huge problem w/ collecting ribbon and have a solution to my growing collection. I so know what you are talking about!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 01:19 PM   #29  
Die Cut Diva

I am also a huge ribbon lover. I snip off a section of ribbon each time I buy new and add it to an organizational binder in the proper color family or seasonal category with repositional tape. It makes it very easy to pick out the perfect ribbon without having to look through lots of rolls and loose yards. It also helps for shopping trips. I need a new system for the actual ribbon storage. I have outgrown my many snaplock ribbon boxes.

My Gallery
https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/g...0&ppuser=52833
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 01:37 PM   #30  

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by cincimomView Post
I am also a huge ribbon lover. I snip off a section of ribbon each time I buy new and add it to an organizational binder in the proper color family or seasonal category with repositional tape. It makes it very easy to pick out the perfect ribbon without having to look through lots of rolls and loose yards. It also helps for shopping trips. I need a new system for the actual ribbon storage. I have outgrown my many snaplock ribbon boxes.
That is a great idea with the organization binder. I will steal your idea and make one even tonight
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Skype™ to kaloso05

Several friends and I did a SU ribbon swap a few years ago and ended up with 3 yards of all of the 3/8 grosgrain colors available at the time. After having them for several months in the baggies they came in and not using them I decided something had to be done.

When I ran out of the tin foil in my kitchen, I took the roll it was on (sturdier than a regular papertowl roll) and wrapped each color around and around it and tacked it down with a straight pin. Now whenever I need a color I get out my ribbon tube and unpin the color I want, cut and repin. An added bonus is that I can stuff the tube with bits of ribbon that are too short to wrap around.

cheap and simple!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 07:08 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Received 132 Likes on 54 Posts

Mrs. Organization reporting for duty! I am an extreme ribbon hoarder and have all sorts of storage: handmade ribbon rack, two rifle racks with dowel sticks, wooden cassette storage for narrow ribbon, lots of Michaels $10 (but with coupon) plastic ribbon trays, etc. I made a swatch chart design with each box (12 on a page) for one inch of ribbon, and pages are arranged by color group. I ATG tape in each box, cut and attach the ribbon, and identify the storage container by number. Each page is in a protective sleeve in a looseleaf notebook. Grabbing the notebook allows me to hold the card directly next to the ribbon (under good light) to find the best match. Prior to all this, some of my storage did not allow me to remove the spool easily, and color-matching could be a problem.

I don't like loose ribbon; so stuff like that gets put on cut up empty toilet paper spools and added to the spooled storage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #33  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,053 Likes on 812 Posts

Just remembered something I have seen but not made myself. A whole load of zip-loc baggies, punched at the bottom end and bound together with two BIG book rings, then you can sort your ribbons by colour. It works along the lines of a Rolo-dex, sort of...I wasn't sure how strong it would be, but a friend I know who made one for herself brings it to crops, so it must stand up to heaavy use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #34  
Matboard Maniac

I just had a thought after looking at the pictures of the ribbons wrapped around a clothes pin. What if you wrapped the whole spool of ribbon around your hand and then pinched the two sides in the middle and secured it with a clothes pin. Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't you save tons of room. I guess you would have to be careful when cutting a length of but the storage space saved should be worth while. The cardboard spool takes up quite a bit of room in and of itself
Please give me both the negative and positive thoughts on this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 09:32 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Usually when I wrap ribbon on my clothes pins it takes about 3 or 4 clothespins for a roll of ribbon. I don't think it would save space to wrap it around your hand and hold it with the clothes pin.

The other thing I would worry about this is when you open the pin to cut off a piece then the whole thing will go wobbly and unwind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary JBView Post
I just had a thought after looking at the pictures of the ribbons wrapped around a clothes pin. What if you wrapped the whole spool of ribbon around your hand and then pinched the two sides in the middle and secured it with a clothes pin. Correct me if I am wrong, but couldn't you save tons of room. I guess you would have to be careful when cutting a length of but the storage space saved should be worth while. The cardboard spool takes up quite a bit of room in and of itself
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary JBView Post
That is a great idea. I am going to have to buy a bag of wooden cloths pins now :p Thank you for the suggestion
Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 10:16 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Hi My name is Mara and I am a Ribbon Addict.

I have no idea how many I have. The last time I counted I stopped when I hit over 90 types of Pink ribbon (which is the first jar).:eek:

I have 13 jars FULL of ribbon. And I like it! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 10:18 AM   #38  
Kookie Creator

Oh- I wrap mine around my hand and then simply secure it with tiny rubber bands. I had them on clothes pins but they took up WAY too much room. THis way i can get them all stuffed in there ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 12:22 PM   #39  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have mine in 7 of those ribbon keepers from HL so they are in color sections and easy to see. But I like the right one. The other day I tried 4 ribbons before I found the right one. LOL

Carol
in IN
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #40  
Die Cut Diva

Seeing as I unmount ALL my stamps, I use the box that the SU stamps come in for my ribbons. I label the front and stand them up in a drawer. They are all by color. I use floss bobbins and wrap the ribbon around it. If it gets too big, I'll cut it and start another bobbin. You can get lots in the box.
Reply With Quote Likes