Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-12-2009, 07:25 AM   #1  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stampin Up and Clear Mount Stamps

I just heard that SU is going to be offering clear mount stamps. I guess enough of us have voted with our feet that SU has finally heard us. Thank you SU demonstrators that suggested that we stop buying from SU if they didn't meet our needs. Your strategy worked. Now I will be able to buy what I want from SU, unmounted stamps.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:29 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Just to clarify, the stamps themselves are not clear, they will be the same rubber mounted stamps that SU has been offering, just unmounted. They will also come with a sticker for the back of the image and you can order various sizes of acrylic blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:30 AM   #3  
Crimping Master

Thank you for your clarification! I am excited to see the new stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

And we are certainly excited to share them with you Be sure to let your demonstrator know that you would like her to send you an Occassions Mini- they should be sent out by SU in mid-December.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 07:50 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by frogwomanView Post
I just heard that SU is going to be offering clear mount stamps. I guess enough of us have voted with our feet that SU has finally heard us. Thank you SU demonstrators that suggested that we stop buying from SU if they didn't meet our needs. Your strategy worked. Now I will be able to buy what I want from SU, unmounted stamps.
Actually, the reason SU prudently waited to offer this option was that the quality of unmounteds, especially acrylic unmounted (which they did not decide to go with) has been in question since the very start.

They are not willing to compromise on the quality of the images. Period.

They told us several times over the past couple years that they would NOT consider going to this option until all the bugs had been worked out to their satisfaction. I'm so thankful they don't just jump in without the research!

I am extremely pleased for those who like unmounted--now you can have both the great images and selection you want, PLUS the quality you have come to expect from Stampin' Up, AND the convenience of being unmounted if you prefer... AND I still get my beloved wood mounts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
Actually, the reason SU prudently waited to offer this option was that the quality of unmounteds, especially acrylic unmounted (which they did not decide to go with) has been in question since the very start.

They told us several times over the past couple years that they would NOT consider going to this option until all the bugs had been worked out to their satisfaction. I'm so thankful they don't just jump in without the research!

I am extremely pleased for those who like unmounted--now you can have both the great images and selection you want, PLUS the quality you have come to expect from Stampin' Up, AND the convenience of being unmounted if you prefer... AND I still get my beloved wood mounts
Is that what they told you? That is just too funny. Anyway, I'm glad they are going to unmounted, reguardless of the reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:20 AM   #7  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering... are they going to be charging less for the unmounted stamps?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Posted by GWTW Junkie: They told us several times over the past couple years that they would NOT consider going to this option until all the bugs had been worked out to their satisfaction. I'm so thankful they don't just jump in without the research!

Posted by iluv2color: Is that what they told you? That is just too funny. Anyway, I'm glad they are going to unmounted, regardless of the reason.

Meaning... that Stampin' Up! had looked at all the options for offering stamps that are actually clear, but they never found an option in the clear materials used for creating stamps that would meet their long term and immediate term quality expectations. Which is why they still do not offer 'clear' stamps, but rather, we will still get the same great quality 'rubber' stamps that we expect from Stampin' Up!, but now will have the option of mounting them on clear blocks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:42 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post

Hi Lyssa,

As a manufacturer of unmounted rubber stamps, what is SU doing differently with their unmounted rubber that wasn't already in place with their woodmounted rubber? Isn't the rubber the same? I am just wondering because you said that "They are not willing to compromise on the quality of the images. Period."
I am not understanding how the rubber manufacturing is any different between woodmounted and unmounted. I have manufactued both and the rubber vulcanizing process is the same.
Thanks in advance.
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
I'm curious, too! And so excited to hear this :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:45 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
Oh, yeah, baby...;) I'm not lightning quick at math, but I think it's 25% less or so? Somebody help me out that knows? My first look at the mini was late last night, and math just wasn't on my mind...:rolleyes:

As for the reasons, there's really no need to try and turn this into a negative...SU is going to offer something a lot of people have wanted. That's a good thing. Really, it's a good thing and one that I intend to take advantage of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

I believe it wasn't so much the rubber that was in question as it was the cling that they would use to adhere it to the acrylic blocks. I know they did not like the idea of the clear stamps and their quality and was glad they stayed with the rubber stamp.

But they do research and want good quality products (after all their name does goes on it)

My Website
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MSBetsyZView Post
Oh, yeah, baby...;) I'm not lightning quick at math, but I think it's 25% less or so? Somebody help me out that knows? My first look at the mini was late last night, and math just wasn't on my mind...:rolleyes:

As for the reasons, there's really no need to try and turn this into a negative...SU is going to offer something a lot of people have wanted. That's a good thing. Really, it's a good thing and one that I intend to take advantage of.
I am absolutely thrilled at the less expensive option for unmounted stamps! I prefer unmounted so that means more money for stamps! Yay!

Agreed. Let's keep this positive. I am happy that SU! has shown once again the it listens to its customers and demos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Gina, I think that phrase was more related to Shelli's telling us that while people have asked for unmounted AND clear stamps, they weren't willing to compromise image quality. That's why they've only gone so far as to offer the unmounted rubber and not also the clear stamps.

And, not speaking for GWTW, I interpreted what she was saying as that the reason SU was making this decision now was because they waited until their research was completed satisfactorily, not because of any other reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #15  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Betsy,
You are so right. I think it's a wonderful idea too! ;)
I'm pretty sure you weren't directing your post at me, however, maybe you know the answer to my previous question. As a manufacturer, I only know one way to vulcanize rubber so Lyssa's comment is intriguing to me and others who know how the manufacturing process works. I have always loved the quality of SU stamps, have seen their manufacturing facility, and am truly interested in what kind of difference there would be regarding image quality between unmounted and woodmounted.

Hugs,
Gina K.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #16  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Gina, I think that phrase was more related to Shelli's telling us that while people have asked for unmounted AND clear stamps, they weren't willing to compromise image quality. That's why they've only gone so far as to offer the unmounted rubber and not also the clear stamps.

And, not speaking for GWTW, I interpreted what she was saying as that the reason SU was making this decision now was because they waited until their research was completed satisfactorily, not because of any other reason.
OHHH! I see. Well, you know I am all over that! I love deeply etched lucious rubbah!! Thanks for the clarification.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:50 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Color me happy! Loving the move to unmounted, since I just finished unmounting my collection.
BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

OMG OMG OMG! I am so beyond excited about SU offering unmounted. As much as I love my clear stamps I admit the red rubber gives a crisper image. So I'm glad that SU is sticking with the red rubber.
I'm totally excited about the new mini that will be out in Dec. more excitied then I've been in a long time. But I won't spoil all the suprises ;).
I think SU is going to have a lot of happy happy customers.
WOOOHOOO no more wood!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #19  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gina K. DesignsView Post
OHHH! I see. Well, you know I am all over that! I love deeply etched lucious rubbah!! Thanks for the clarification.
I am sorry, I actually pried myself off SCS today and went and cleaned my house, or I would have been back to answer you sooner, Gina! We were actually in the same upline group at one time--I think I joined just as you were leaving to start your venture :-D Someday I will get myself over to your store.

I am sorry if I didn't use the correct terms or if I left my meaning unlcear. I meant the clear stamps themselves, not the blocks, which was part of what SU researched and rejected as an option due to the image quality issues. My bad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts

HOORAY! They have a better chance of getting my business now!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:06 PM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

It is nice for everyone that they have a choice now and can save some money on the unmounted option....then they can buy more stamps...lol
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #22  

Quote:

Originally Posted by iluv2colorView Post
Is that what they told you? That is just too funny. Anyway, I'm glad they are going to unmounted, reguardless of the reason.
Yes, friend, that has been what we have been told for several years now. It's not just something SU cooked up to explain why they hadn't jumped on the trend earlier. I respect a company that can resist following a fad until they have done the proper research.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:30 PM   #23  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I just posted a thread asking about this. I couldn't believe my eyes :eek: when I read it.

(Mod's you can post my thread here if you like)

Unmounted sounds wonderful too me too. I would rather have unmounted Rubber stamps.

Just because of the saving and saving of Space. I do LOVE Stampin' Up! stamps!!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Send a message via Skype™ to jeannie barron

I think this is a very positive move for Stampin Up. I love my wood, but this will make alot of other people happy too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm certainly pleased that SU will now be offering a choice of mounted or unmounted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 01:04 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

As far as I can tell so far (just in what I've read), the only difference, if you can even call it that, is that the rubber for the clear mounts will be even more closely trimmed to aid in placement of the stamped image. So that, in combination with the label that can be placed on the back of the stamp, there should be minimal trouble getting images lined up.

'K, I don't know why, lol, but I keep hearing Abba's "Dancing Queen" playing in my head! I may be getting a bit over excited, lol! :-D:-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 01:35 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I will start looking at SU stamps again now, but the cost differential should be more than 25%. Most companies offering both options usually charge 1/2 for unmounted- the wood is the most expensive part of any stamp.

As for the "negative" comments, I think the reaction was to the really over the top cheerleading responses we get around here from some of the SU folks who would manage to find a good excuse/defense/justification no matter what SU did. If they reversed themselves tomorrow, the cheerleaders would be explaining why it happened because they are such a superior company somehow- and for some of us it has gotten REALLY old.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 01:44 PM   #28  

Quote:

'K, I don't know why, lol, but I keep hearing Abba's "Dancing Queen" playing in my head! I may be getting a bit over excited, lol! :-D:-D
Yeah, it's a good thing I was alone today when I first heard the news! My shriek would have woken anyone around!!!

I am so happy for my friends who love unmounted. I don't see anything to be unhappy about here as it is the very best of both worlds. I am looking forward to getting a couple sets to demo with--gonna treat myself to a couple more than I would normally get, since it's a business expense for me : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchkView Post
I will start looking at SU stamps again now, but the cost differential should be more than 25%. Most companies offering both options usually charge 1/2 for unmounted- the wood is the most expensive part of any stamp

As for the "negative" comments, I think the reaction was to the really over the top cheerleading responses we get around here from some of the SU folks who would manage to find a good excuse/defense/justification no matter what SU did. If they reversed themselves tomorrow, the cheerleaders would be explaining why it happened because they are such a superior company somehow- and for some of us it has gotten REALLY old.
As far as the cost, I have bought unmounted from a company that advertises her and it was only $4 or $5 less than woodmounted so I think the price difference is in line with what I am seeing elsewhere. Don't mean that to sound "cheerleaderish",lol. As far as that comment goes, maybe SU demos wouldn't feel the need to come across that way if the negativity wasn't so horrible at times. I agree that we are all entitled to our opinions, and that is great, but as a d emo, you must realize that it gets frustrating when is seems like everything is negative and it seems like nobody is willing to see another side. Please know that no offense is intended, but this is my opinion. I think it is great that they are offering the option for those that are strictly unmounted. I am also very glad that it is not a clear stamp option, much prefer rubber.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 02:05 PM   #30  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of you all know I sell for The Angel Company. We sell the unmounted Blue Rubber with Creative cling foam. Of course our stamps don't come with a index label.
Our stamps cost between $6.95 to $39.95

And every Stamp set come with it own Creative Cling foam. (ez-mount)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's exciting to hear that Stampin' Up! is offering these Red Rubber unmounted Stamps.
Which I'm sure will come with some sort of Cling Foam to be used with the Acrylic Blocks.

This will be a great savings to us with little stamping spaces. and save us Money too.

Looking forward to seeing the New Stamps!!!!

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 02:32 PM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm so glad to hear that SU will be selling their sets without the wood blocks - I have a bunch that I never mounted! I do hope their decision will have their sets sold with the cling foam and not just the plain rubber. Also looking forward to lower prices!!

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

The sets will be sold with cling foam, not just bare rubber and the prices are approx. 25% less.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #33  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Hi Lyssa,

As a manufacturer of unmounted rubber stamps, what is SU doing differently with their unmounted rubber that wasn't already in place with their woodmounted rubber? Isn't the rubber the same? I am just wondering because you said that "They are not willing to compromise on the quality of the images. Period."
I am not understanding how the rubber manufacturing is any different between woodmounted and unmounted. I have manufactued both and the rubber vulcanizing process is the same.
Thanks in advance.
Gina K.
Maybe they were researching ALL options before making the final decision about unmounting including clear polymer and others. When coming out with an unmounted option they have, through research decided that the best quality they could bring you was their red rubber on clear acrylic blocks. I'm not sure, just a thought.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 02:58 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ldyglfr62View Post
The sets will be sold with cling foam, not just bare rubber and the prices are approx. 25% less.
Which is consistent with other companies that offer the option of mounted, mounted on cling foam, or unmounted.

It will make alot of folks happier to have an option. Some folks are happy no matter what SU does, some folks are never happy with what SU does. Keeps the world spinning I guess.

I do prefer rubber to clear acrylic, it gives me more options on how to use the stamp.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:09 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank goodness! I just wish they had done this when I was still a demo (sigh....) as I have just started to umount my more than 150 sets, and boy is that a daunting task! Glad to see it as an option going forward though. I am a little confused though by some of what I have read here.... if they are rubber, why are they called clear mounts? Also, if they come with a sticker that can be placed on the back - I assume this means on the cling mount? Will the stamps still cling to the acrylic block with the sticker on?

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:17 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

OK - I think I just figured out the clear mount for myself... because the rubber with the cling foam clings to the acrylic block which is clear... duh! Still wondering about how the stickers will work though if anyone has any insight.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:18 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

This is the best news a'la stamping that I have heard in a looong time! Yay yay yay!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #38  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstampinView Post
Thank goodness! I just wish they had done this when I was still a demo (sigh....) as I have just started to umount my more than 150 sets, and boy is that a daunting task! Glad to see it as an option going forward though. I am a little confused though by some of what I have read here.... if they are rubber, why are they called clear mounts? Also, if they come with a sticker that can be placed on the back - I assume this means on the cling mount? Will the stamps still cling to the acrylic block with the sticker on?
I think they are referring to the clear acrylic mounting block you can use with the rubber. There are stamps from Stampendous that have the index on the back of the foam. You can then see the image through the block when you stamp.

http://www.stampendous.com/category/.../Cling_Rubber�

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:19 PM   #39  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenlloView Post
Maybe they were researching ALL options before making the final decision about unmounting including clear polymer and others. When coming out with an unmounted option they have, through research decided that the best quality they could bring you was their red rubber on clear acrylic blocks. I'm not sure, just a thought.
Yup, that makes sense.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-12-2009, 03:20 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

And oh how cool it would be to be able to get the labels for the mounted sets we already have (wishful thinking I am sure, but would be soooo cool!)

Reply With Quote Likes