Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-03-2016, 10:27 AM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simon Says Stamp Quality

I recently used a stamp set for the first time that I purchased from Simon Says Stamps a while ago. The name of the set is Talk Bubble 2. I was surprised to see that the stamps were not clear photopolymer stamps like I'm used to seeing from other popular brands (MFT, Lawn Fawn, etc...). These stamps feel light and flimsy and are fairly thin in comparison to my other stamps.

Unfortunately, I was also extremely disappointed with the the quality of the the finished stamp impression I got using VersaFine and Memento Tuxedo Black inks which typically result in very good images. Both inks resulted in a very poorly defined result - they were a bit blurry and I noticed the stamps did not take ink very well even though I primed the stamps since it was the first time I was using them.

I checked the SSS website to see what type of materials they use to make their stamps and sometimes they say "High Quality Clear Stamps" and sometimes they say "High Quality Photopolymer Stamps". I'm just curious if perhaps they were using these flimsy thin clear stamps on their older stamps and perhaps have now started using Photopolymer.

Since I do like this stamp set, I would really like to find an ink that will work - does anyone have any suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Is it a Simon Says Stamp brand? I know they sell other brands besides their own. I would contact customer service at SSS to find out more about what they are made out of. I often have to use chalk ink with clear stamps. (Dye ink never seems to work for me!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2016, 09:43 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I too have had issues with their in house brand stamps. They do not stamp well. The other companies they sell are awesome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 06:47 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
I too have had issues with their in house brand stamps. They do not stamp well. The other companies they sell are awesome.
Thanks for sharing that info. I've not used SSS proprietary stamps, only their dies...the dies are excellent, by the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have that stamp set too, and I haven't had any issues with it when I used it. It didn't feel any different than other photopolymer stamps, though the design on the stamps was a little more delicate- that could be why it felt thinner?

I've used pigment ink for the solid cloud, rectangle and square (Avery Elle pigment inks), as I tend to do that with solid stamps in general. Regardless of the brand, I always get mixed results with solid stamps unless I use pigment ink. So, it's just become a habit.

For the other stamps in the set, I've mainly used Versafine Onyx black and Ranger's Archival inks. I've found that the archival inks give me the crispest results with sentiments (aside from Versafine) and they have a large color variety, too. That would be my recommendation to try. The Archival ink is especially good on thin sentiments, because they don't spread out as much when they absorb into the paper as dye inks do. The dye inks become fuzzier when they absorb into the paper, which is not ideal with thin sentiments.

Lastly, I have gotten a couple of stamps from Simon that have had issues. There was one stamp set that was in a card kit that was missing a stamp. And another that had a manufacturing defect that basically drew a line through the sentiment. When I contacted Simon's customer service, they sent me replacements for both and they were really great about it. I'm not sure if they'll be able to send you a replacement for the Talk Bubbles stamp (since it's retired), but they might have some extra tips to help you out.

I have been happy with the quality on the rest of the Simon stamps, though. I've got quite a collection, and have had no issues with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Reaching for the Stars

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've noticed the weight of the stamp is different from other brands I've used but not had any issues with how they stamp. I usually rub the stamp against the palm of my hand and stamp as I normally would. Sorry you are having problems!

Dirty Dozen Alumni
My
Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 06:44 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes dies are awesome!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 01:36 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had no problems with any of my SSS stamps. I use ranger archival ink. I do think they are better as I use them but that is true of all the stamps regardless of brand that I've used.

I haven't paid attention to the weight of the stamps but certainly didn't think that was a problem as I used them. I'm not extremely careful when I take them on and off the blocks and the storage surface. I've had them in and off blocks enough that if they were going to tear I think they would have. Never had the sense that was going to happen.

I'd contact customer service with my questions if I were you.
Reply With Quote Likes