Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:07 AM   #1  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Share Your Really Simple and Easy Cards, Please...

Okay, just checked out the favorites of the week thread and my ego has been battered to a pulp. Ouch! I've stayed away from that thread for months and months for just this reason. Those Totally Awesome Stampers ROCK!

But for those of us who don't do techniques that require anything like "talent" or "skill," who don't layer our cards into inch-thick confections of pure gorgeousness, who don't have all the latest nesties or copics, who don't have coloring skills above kindergarten level, and who do love to make clean and simple and, most of all, EASY cards...please post your favorites from your own gallery, the ones that make you happy as long as you don't compare them to what the Totally Awesome Stampers are making.

Here are my two latest favorites from my own gallery that are just ink and one single layer of cs. The second one involves some reverse masking (mask made with a circle punch and post-it) and a stamp positioner. The first doesn't even get that fancy!

Thank you Sihouette

Love You Silhouette

Rather than feel sorry for our simple, easy, and basic cards, let's celebrate them...because they really do deserve to be celebrated!;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 07:37 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Susan,
I am a big fan of your gallery! The other day, I spent some pleasant time going through your gallery! I hear you - I will never be on the favorites thread either!

Laura

Running With Lollipops my everything else blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by lauraosView Post
Susan,
I am a big fan of your gallery! The other day, I spent some pleasant time going through your gallery! I hear you - I will never be on the favorites thread either!

Laura

Thanks, Laura! Your gallery is a wonderful CAS gallery, too. One of your cards that spoke to me is this one:

Blue Silhouette Sympathy by lauraos at Splitcoaststampers

LOVE the shadows on the silhouettes...so simple but so effective at adding interest. A bit of ribbon, just a few layers, and you made a gorgeous sympathy card.

And this one:

Embrace Space Flowers Blossoming by lauraos at Splitcoaststampers

How totally, simply beautiful!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:00 AM   #4  
Glitter Guru

I will probably be flamed ~ but I don't think that bucket loads of embellishments & layers & other fancy smancy stuff ~ especially when lots of times it's to try & push the latest & greatest products on us ~ are Totally Awesome Stampers! I think cards that make a statement ~ that showcase the image or the sentiment ~ are much better.

Susan ~ your cards are wonderful! Much like JulieHRR ~ who is one of the best & inspiring stampers out there! Please keep making your stunning creations & stop comparing your self to anyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #5  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I just left comments on your cards. You may not make it to that Favs List every week but look how many people did put your gorgeous cards on their Favorite List!

I must admit I got my cage rattled over there one week some time ago when I couldn't sleep and started the actual thread and sorta got a spanking from the usual lady that starts it. It was like accidentally stepping into her territory and I didn't know that there was a hard and fast rule about who starts a thread. I'm sure I'll get spanked for this too but that was my experience.

Stampin' Up! Only Challenges Design Team
Proud Fan Club Member Since 2007
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:10 AM   #6  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by AGMommyof2View Post
I will probably be flamed ~ but I don't think that bucket loads of embellishments & layers & other fancy smancy stuff ~ especially when lots of times it's to try & push the latest & greatest products on us ~ are Totally Awesome Stampers! I think cards that make a statement ~ that showcase the image or the sentiment ~ are much better.

Susan ~ your cards are wonderful! Much like JulieHRR ~ who is one of the best & inspiring stampers out there! Please keep making your stunning creations & stop comparing your self to anyone!
NO FLAMING! ...everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I think you're right! I agree that just throwing everything but the kitchen sink into a card doesn't make it good, but most of the cards showcased in the favorites of the week thread are IMO very well designed and gorgeous and totally awesome. I just think that they mostly represent a fairly defined and ornate style that doesn't represent the broad spectrum of well-designed cards out there...ones that might take all of thirty seconds to make but still look great anyway. Hence, I wanted to start a thread that shows the rest of the story!

And yes, JulieHRR totally rocks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

You can post your favorite simple cards in the favorites of the week for the rest of us to enjoy. They don't have to be elaborate just your fav. I just looked through your gallery. I have just become a fan of yours. Lovely cards. I downloaded a bunch to my computer. I'll be watching your work. TFS

Last edited by bonnieb; 01-25-2009 at 08:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Uggg, I just made a post and then it disappered before I could hit submit!

Basically I retold the story posted on my blog Jan. 22 and 23rd, if you would like to look. It is about a conversation I had with my 21 year old son that made me look at my paper crafting. The link is here if you would like to read it.

The bottom line is I have the hardest time making 1-2 layer cards! I did a search in the gallery for 1 layer cards and ended up with pages of multi-layer cards:confused:

I, for one, love the simplicity and beauty of these kind of cards when I see them. Yet when I try to make them, I don't like them. I really want to learn the simpler how to make them. Thank you for a link to a gallery I can learn from. :p
Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #9  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern BelleView Post
I just left comments on your cards. You may not make it to that Favs List every week but look how many people did put your gorgeous cards on their Favorite List!

I must admit I got my cage rattled over there one week some time ago when I couldn't sleep and started the actual thread and sorta got a spanking from the usual lady that starts it. It was like accidentally stepping into her territory and I didn't know that there was a hard and fast rule about who starts a thread. I'm sure I'll get spanked for this too but that was my experience.
Isn't favoriting great! I really don't run myself down for my style...it is what it is, and I love spreading the CAS message. But sometimes when I get an overdose of abundant beauty (as in the favorites thread), I start feeling a tad inadequate, which I know is perfectly silly. I think we all can feel that way sometimes. I started this thread to smack myself out of it and see what other CAS stampers are up to. It can be hard to find them in the gallery, and so I've set up a folder to bookmark the ones I do find for future reference.

Sorry you got spanked. (((hugs)))
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love all the differents styles here on SCS...from the incredibly ornate to the dramatic elegance of a one layer card. In fact, I kind of get excited when I make a card that was quick, easy AND makes a bold statement. I particularly like to keep it simple when using humor...let the sentiment do all the work.

Your cards are beautiful and don't need to make the 'Favorites List' to be appreciated! :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:26 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonniebView Post
I just looked through your gallery. I have just become a fan of yours. Lovely cards. I downloaded a bunch to my computer. I'll be watching your work. TFS
Bonnie, you should have shared a link to your own gallery! I really liked this one and think it fits the CAS even though the technique may require some special supplies and extra drying time. Someone could CASE it with specialty cardstock very, very easily!

Beautiful Card
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #12  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamps'nCoffeeView Post
I love all the differents styles here on SCS...from the incredibly ornate to the dramatic elegance of a one layer card. In fact, I kind of get excited when I make a card that was quick, easy AND makes a bold statement. I particularly like to keep it simple when using humor...let the sentiment do all the work....

:-D
You mean like you did HERE?

OMG that made me laugh! TFS
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:31 AM   #13  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateBlossomView Post
Bonnie, you should have shared a link to your own gallery! I really liked this one and think it fits the CAS even though the technique may require some special supplies and extra drying time. Someone could CASE it with specialty cardstock very, very easily!

Beautiful Card
What does CAS stand for?
Sandy O
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:36 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulssandyView Post
What does CAS stand for?
Sandy O
CAS means "Clean And Simple." It's a keyword for uploading to the gallery (you can search "CAS" in the gallery and see all kinds of clean and simple cards). HTH!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

lateblossom...i stalk er uhm visit your gallery A LOT! i have it bookmarked in my 'SCS favorite galleries'! i love your CAS style.

i am a CAS stamper too. that is just my style and i agree... it is what it is.

i was very inspired by this one (from you gallery) and made one very much like it, only mine was a christmas card. i put a candy cane and some red & white ribbon... LOVE IT!

i plan on doing something along the lines of these (also from your gallery) as well. i think they will make a great gift set.

OK... tootin' my own horn!
YO teacher
only old olive... really
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #16  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

But for those of us who don't do techniques that require anything like "talent" or "skill," who don't layer our cards into inch-thick confections of pure gorgeousness, who don't have all the latest nesties or copics, who don't have coloring skills above kindergarten level, and who do love to make clean and simple and, most of all, EASY cards...please post your favorites from your own gallery, the ones that make you happy as long as you don't compare them to what the Totally Awesome Stampers are making.

Susan, I've been a HUGE fan of your work for a very long time!!! I don't comment as much as I should, but I always LOVE seeing your work in the CAS gallery and have lots of your stuff in my favorites.

I definitely prefer a CAS look in my cards, too. I don't think it's accurate to call them simple or easy, though! I think creating a clean, well-balanced OLC or CAS card requires just as much time and skill as a more layered, ornate card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #17  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by paulssandyView Post
Uggg, I just made a post and then it disappered before I could hit submit!

Basically I retold the story posted on my blog Jan. 22 and 23rd, if you would like to look. It is about a conversation I had with my 21 year old son that made me look at my paper crafting. The link is here if you would like to read it.

The bottom line is I have the hardest time making 1-2 layer cards! I did a search in the gallery for 1 layer cards and ended up with pages of multi-layer cards:confused:

I, for one, love the simplicity and beauty of these kind of cards when I see them. Yet when I try to make them, I don't like them. I really want to learn the simpler how to make them. Thank you for a link to a gallery I can learn from. :p
Sandy O

I love shabby chic but have yet to pull it off in a way that made me happy. I finally just admitted it's not my style. So I admire it from afar, as it were!

Simple is hard, I think, because when you don't have much on the card, each element is that much more important. And I really liked your sympathy card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:50 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lnl96View Post
CAS means "Clean And Simple." It's a keyword for uploading to the gallery (you can search "CAS" in the gallery and see all kinds of clean and simple cards). HTH!
Oooooh!! I was wondering about that too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #19  
Crimping Master

I just checked out the Favorites thread and all I can say is, (to quote my two teen agers) 'OMG!'. What incredible talent! The tragedy is that I have a lot of the tools that they used and my cards don't look like that. Majoring in Accounting instead of Graphic Arts probably didn't help either. I just keep telling myself that it is a process, I have been making cards for 5 or 6 years but have just stepped beyond the bounds of SU since coming to SCS. I don't know if you noticed all of the favorited stampers had.

I do love the CAS style, and I spent some time in you gallery, Susan, around Christmas getting some inspiration for Christmas cards. I get so tired of fussy, over the top cards and your style is perfect for striking, elegant cards. Thank you!

Pamela

Last edited by Curly Chick; 01-25-2009 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:53 AM   #20  
Watercolor Wizard

Kristie Lee,

Your gallery is one of my favorites! I lost all my gallery bookmarks when my 'puter died, so I'm getting you bookmarked again!

THIS CARD of yours perfectly illustrates CAS, but then, so does everything in your gallery, LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I love shabby chic but have yet to pull it off in a way that made me happy. I finally just admitted it's not my style. So I admire it from afar, as it were!

Simple is hard, I think, because when you don't have much on the card, each element is that much more important. And I really liked your sympathy card!
I agree with 'Simple is hard'...when you are working on a one layer card there is absolutely NO room for error...you can't cover it up with a layer (which I've been known to do)...nothing can be crooked...a one layer card must be stamped PERFECTLY (or close to it anyway)...AND if you do err...that is a HALF of a sheet of cs down the tubes!!! BRAVO to all single layer card makers!!!! (I think I've made 2 or 3 in total and stressed out each time...lol)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:01 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm a CAS stamper too although sometimes I'll layer and get a little fancy. I made these SUPER simple cards for Valentines day, no stamping even on here!

Flair Valentines

I appreciate seeing all types of styles on SCS and learn something from each one. I just think regarless of # of comments or the Fav's list what matters is you like it. I embrace my personal style and know it's not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:05 AM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

I am all about CAS. To tell you the truth I have not posted any cards yet because my will never compare to some of the talent I see here.

I did not know about the CAS gallery and I will be going there in the future. I love stampin up stamp sets but I have not mastered the art of coloring my images.

Keep up the great work because you are my inspiration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts

I didn't know there was a CAS gallery. Thanks for the info.!!! Gonna start making a point to look there!! Susan, you have a great gallery!! Keep up the good works!!
Jennik
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:33 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by krystie leeView Post
Susan, I've been a HUGE fan of your work for a very long time!!! I don't comment as much as I should, but I always LOVE seeing your work in the CAS gallery and have lots of your stuff in my favorites.

I definitely prefer a CAS look in my cards, too. I don't think it's accurate to call them simple or easy, though! I think creating a clean, well-balanced OLC or CAS card requires just as much time and skill as a more layered, ornate card.

i think sometimes it is even harder to create CAS... you don't have all the 'fillers' to rely on!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #26  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Beautiful Card
Thank you. I think you were talking about my Anniversary card. It looked prettier IRL. Still sometimes I think it needs something. It's probably because I have a cluttered mind. I did'nt link because I haven't master that yet. Every time I have tried I have failed. Someday when I have time I will try to learn again. I tried to subscribe to your gallery. I don't know if I did it right, but if I didn't I have downloaded some of your cards so I can find you again. I like both the elaborate and simple cards. They both have there place in my world. Thanks for this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #27  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by KY Southern BelleView Post

Dissappointed in learning about your -sorta getting a spanking- from usual first poster. I too didn't realize there was a rule, and may have done the same thing myself. I'm not that computer savy, so it probably wouldn't happen, but I still reserve the right to feel a bit disappionted in that.

Too the original poster of this thread, THANK YOU!! Love the samples I've seen so far, learned there is a CAS gallerey, and I am feeling so much better about my own creative powers. I still have yet to start a gallerey of my own. Got all the way to downloading my pics to my laptop, but having a hard time uploading to the sight. I told you I wasn't computer savy!!

God and America, Family and Friends, Stampin' and Zumba....so much to be thankful for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #28  

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazingrace119View Post
Too the original poster of this thread, THANK YOU!! Love the samples I've seen so far, learned there is a CAS gallerey, and I am feeling so much better about my own creative powers. I still have yet to start a gallerey of my own. Got all the way to downloading my pics to my laptop, but having a hard time uploading to the sight. I told you I wasn't computer savy!!
Then you need to start uploading and making yourself a gallery! You probably have no idea how much you're depriving the rest of us by not sharing your work!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 10:09 AM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by bonniebView Post
Thank you. I think you were talking about my Anniversary card. It looked prettier IRL. Still sometimes I think it needs something. It's probably because I have a cluttered mind. I did'nt link because I haven't master that yet. Every time I have tried I have failed. Someday when I have time I will try to learn again. I tried to subscribe to your gallery. I don't know if I did it right, but if I didn't I have downloaded some of your cards so I can find you again. I like both the elaborate and simple cards. They both have there place in my world. Thanks for this thread.

Ooops! I did link to your whole gallery (which is great!). Here's the link to the card I referred to...

MIL Anniversary 08 by bonnieb by bonnieb at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #30  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by amazingrace119View Post
... I still have yet to start a gallerey of my own. Got all the way to downloading my pics to my laptop, but having a hard time uploading to the sight. I told you I wasn't computer savy!!

Definitely start sharing! Please!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 10:14 AM   #31  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

Originally Posted by nu stamperView Post
I am all about CAS. To tell you the truth I have not posted any cards yet because my will never compare to some of the talent I see here....
Please do post your cards! It doesn't matter how they "compare"... we can celebrate our accomplishments in stamping even if they won't ever make the favorites thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #32  

not everyone posts in the "favourites" thread so it's not a true representation of all the talent participating on this website! The key to an awesome stamper is simply that YOU love what you create

Your gallery is awesome!

There are so many different styles, so very much talent ... it's not a competition to be "great"!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 10:34 AM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Every card I make is super simple =D

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 11:12 AM   #34  

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for sharing some of these cards!
One easy solution is to post your "favorites" that you've seen during the week in the favorites thread. There are no rules to it, it's just folks sharing what they liked that week. We'd all love to see variety and what others think is a "favorite" just might make a new convert to the CAS style. I personally cannot pull off CAS. Mine end up looking BAS (boring and simple) thusly, my need for layers! That's what makes this place great, we are NOT all the same!

If you love CAS, you also have to check out Sparkle Girl! Here is a recent fav:
CC202 You and Me by sparklegirl at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 11:18 AM   #35  

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbirusView Post
Mine end up looking BAS (boring and simple) thusly, my need for layers! That's what makes this place great, we are NOT all the same!
ROFLOLPMP!!Sorry, that struck me as so funny...BAS. Good one.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 11:31 AM   #36  
Insane Embellisher

Most of my stuff is simple. I prefer a clean style without too many lumps. Every card I make is a limited supply challenge.

Polka Dot card

Stuck on you

So Very Cute
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 11:40 AM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for posting this thread, LateBlossom, I am newer to stamping but have definitely preferred the CAS and now I've learned where to look for them. I am mainly interested in Christmas Cards but have bought Crazy for Cupcakes and Party Hearty so I can make a few Birthday cards. Maybe someday I will start up a gallery of my own.. someday
Betty
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 01:02 PM   #38  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am another CAS fan. And want all of you to put your CAS cards in your galleries for us all to enjoy. Never, ever compare with other styles/posters or think your creations aren't good enough.

And ---- don't be discouraged if you get few comments. There are soooooooo many cards - there are a ton of wonderful cards with no or only one comment.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 01:11 PM   #39  
Watercolor Wizard

LateBlossom, thank you for starting this thread. Your gallery is gorgeous, and I've bookmarked it. I can't wait to go through this thread and see all the gorgeous creations from all of you!

Here's a CAS card I just posted yesterday that's a favorite of mine lately:
Birthday Sweets

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2009, 01:29 PM   #40  
Watercolor Wizard

Susan, go check the Favorites thread--I just added one of your cards.

I design for Wee Memories Scrappy Saturday Challenge
Reply With Quote Likes