Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default "See my blog for more details" Pet Peeve

Is it just me, or does it make anybody else crazy when a gallery post refers you to their blog for more information and then, when you click through, there really is no additional information?

I totally "get" and am fine with people not wanting to take the time to write up everything twice. Just don't waste my time by telling me there is more and then not having anything more. If I have clicked through, there is a reason for it -- I really like something about the posted project and I want to know more about how it was done or what products were used.

(Stepping down from my soapbox now...)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2014, 10:16 AM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree.
And it is even more frustrating if I go to their Blog and there is nothing there except a picture of the card and a couple of sentences about this being a Birthday card for Aunt Millie ! :rolleyes:
It is clear they are just trying to drive traffic to their Blog
If they have a list of the supplies they used on the card I liked I will go to their blog to see what other cards they have made .

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 06-28-2014 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

That would be really frustrating, I agree! I especially dislike it when the link takes you to their blog, but not that particular post.

When I post to the gallery here, my goal is to give some basics and then I'll link my blog post that's a little more chatty and has closeups or more information.

I think you used your soapbox well, swldebbie .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

I agree. Either the link does not go directly to the card, there is a story about blogger life or why they made the card.

Only time I find a blogger listing supplies and stamp info is from Design Team Members or SU demos.

Very Frustrating.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I think (unless there really IS some new/different/additional information) that they should just put their blog link in their signature line and let us decide if we want to check their blog out. I've clicked through to a LOT of blogs from forum posts and (when I have time to peruse the gallery) gallery uploads. If I like the card or comment, I'll see be all nosy and go check out what else they've got going on. I've added several blogs to my list of "regulars" in the past couple of weeks from doing just that

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2014, 02:10 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Sue,
That is a great suggestion for "them." It gives them the opportunity to plug their blogs without the false "advertising."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2014, 03:39 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

I never click through. The reason I come here is that it's all in one place. I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of blogs and what not. If there's no extra info that I need then I keep going and forget about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I only link to my blog if I have additional information. Usually I have the full (free and downloadable) punch art "recipe' posted there.
I agree, if there is a link it should serve a purposes specific to the project posted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-28-2014, 05:18 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I'm so glad I'm not alone in feeling this way. This has happened to me a lot lately. If someone says there is more info on their blog, then I expect to find more info than they've posted in the card description section!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 01:19 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Totally agree- it is so annoying, and time wasting, going to a blog only to find it doesn't link to the project, or as you say, there is no further info. I try and put as much in the gallery info as possible, then if people want to see more, they can find my blog for themselves. We all have enough pressures on our time, without getting to a blog, to find you are just pushing up their visitor numbers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be honest...I'm guilty of just linking my blog. I'm curious-what sort of detail are you looking for? Sizes of cuts? Product line? Specific step by step details? This is just my slant on it, but over the years in general, my blog posts have gotten more watered down. I have less readership in general (perhaps blogging is out of date?!) and frankly, it just doesn't seem worth documenting whether a circle is an inch or 1.5 inches. (Said totally tongue in cheek!) My style is to give a very high level description of why the card or page was created and whatever notable details I think someone might care about. I assume my readers are looking at my project for inspiration and not a step by step guide for reproduction, but that is just my slant on it--whether here or on my blog. So...if you've clicked on my links and have been disappointed, I'm truly sorry if your time could have been spent better somewhere else. But I'm quite curious as to the level of detail people are looking for as it may improve my posts here and in my blog. The other notable detail....sometimes I just don't remember. I hit 40 last year and a lot of things went out the window including my ability to remember what I wore yesterday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:08 AM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by PedalPowerView Post
I'll be honest...I'm guilty of just linking my blog. I'm curious-what sort of detail are you looking for? Sizes of cuts? Product line? Specific step by step details?
I don't have high expectations, but it is useful to sometimes know who made the stamps, dies, or papers if they are new, I haven't seen them before, etc.

Last edited by KristaTracy; 06-29-2014 at 06:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:10 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by KristaTracyView Post
I don't have high expectations, but it is useful to sometimes know who made the stamps, dies, or papers.
Totally a fair expectation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:15 AM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

I'll be honest...I'm guilty of just linking my blog. I'm curious-what sort of detail are you looking for? Sizes of cuts? Product line? Specific step by step details? This is just my slant on it, but over the years in general, my blog posts have gotten more watered down. I have less readership in general (perhaps blogging is out of date?!) and frankly, it just doesn't seem worth documenting whether a circle is an inch or 1.5 inches. (Said totally tongue in cheek!) My style is to give a very high level description of why the card or page was created and whatever notable details I think someone might care about. I assume my readers are looking at my project for inspiration and not a step by step guide for reproduction, but that is just my slant on it--whether here or on my blog. So...if you've clicked on my links and have been disappointed, I'm truly sorry if your time could have been spent better somewhere else. But I'm quite curious as to the level of detail people are looking for as it may improve my posts here and in my blog. The other notable detail....sometimes I just don't remember. I hit 40 last year and a lot of things went out the window including my ability to remember what I wore yesterday.
Since I was one to complain I will respond.
First I click on a picture that I like the style . We all have different styles.

I look for the name of the stamp, die , punch or cut file if one was . If it was colored what did they use , pencils markers ink? If there was a special technique what is it called so I can find instructions to do it . I don't care what brand of pearls, ribbon , adhesive, trimmer or die cutting machine they used. I have my own preferences .

When I like a style I will generally go to their blog to see if they have more cards ideas I like .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:27 AM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Great input, Barbara--thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:29 AM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

I'm curious-what sort of detail are you looking for? Sizes of cuts? Product line? Specific step by step details? This is just my slant on it, but over the years in general, my blog posts have gotten more watered down. I have less readership in general (perhaps blogging is out of date?!)
I think most people want to know the stamp names & paper brands & die names so that if they like it they can figure out where to buy it; cut sizes (unless you are posting a sketch to go with the card), brand names of tools or embellishments not so important. Then I think most want to know how you colored an image: watercolors, markers, color pencils, etc. An last I think most want to know if you used a specific technique and maybe a link to the directions of how to do it or a step-by-step tut.

I think readership drops off when post get watered down and they can't find as much information in the posts. I know when the quality of writing or amount of info lessens on a blog I will quit reading it.

Just my 2 cents.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:39 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

this is interesting. a bit off topic, but I write less info on my blog because so many folks say they don't read the words, just look at the pictures in feedly or on their phones. Maybe I'll add a bit more....thanks for keeping me thinking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:41 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
this is interesting. a bit off topic, but I write less info on my blog because so many folks say they don't read the words, just look at the pictures in feedly or on their phones. Maybe I'll add a bit more....thanks for keeping me thinking.
Joan...I love the style of your blog, your writing and your message. Please don't change a thing. Your cards are lovely!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:56 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

The things that I personally look for in blog posts about cards (or other crafty projects) are similar to what's already been mentioned - what die is that, what paper is that, etc., bu I also reaaally appreciate if the blogger gives me a clue as to how something out of the ordinary was done. An example of this is THIS POST by Dina. I was so happy to read how she made the sand and the sea foam! Dina is EXCELLENT at providing all the information you could want on what she does and where to find more info on how to do it and all the rest of it!

I used to blog, but have stopped (and removed the link from my signature line) because I didn't have time to make anything, let alone blog properly about it. If/when I ever slow down enough to get back on the creative track, I may/may not start up again, and will follow the suggestions I've made and that I've suggested, as well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 06:14 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Agreeing with the other posters here, its often the name of a stamp/die used that I'd like to know, also if a particular or new technique was used.I'm always interested in how colour was added- I don't mind if the details of the technique isn't there, but its nice if there is a link to where I can find out about it. Also, if things didn't go as planned is cool to read, and how the problem got resolved- always useful to know. Those are generally the things I put in my posts- what I would like to find in a post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 06:38 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Aww, thank you, Sue - you made my day!

Great idea to provide positive and constructive suggestions.

Our members are from such a variety of backgrounds and levels of experience. If you're curious about their work, send a private message to ask for more information. Knowing that someone cared enough to ask about their work may encourage them to share more details when they post next time!

Along with what Joan said, I usually will link to a specific blog post if there is some kind of information that I couldn't communicate visually in the gallery, such as closer shots of card details, a video tutorial, product links, specific marker colors, etc.

I usually preschedule my blog posts, so I already have a description written up when I upload to the gallery. I'll usually copy/paste from my blog post to the gallery post and remove the fluff. There may be a little bit to edit, but that way I don't have to write anything twice.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
Since I was one to complain I will respond.
First I click on a picture that I like the style . We all have different styles.

I look for the name of the stamp, die , punch or cut file if one was . If it was colored what did they use , pencils markers ink? If there was a special technique what is it called so I can find instructions to do it . I don't care what brand of pearls, ribbon , adhesive, trimmer or die cutting machine they used. I have my own preferences .

When I like a style I will generally go to their blog to see if they have more cards ideas I like .
Exactly! I always look for the name of the stamp and directions to the specific technique used. A lot of bloggers skip right over this info and either state reason for making a card or a whole lot of personal talk or family talk.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

I read every word, Joan!

Liz
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 07:13 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

This has turned into a wonderful discussion. I'm so glad I stuck my neck out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 07:19 AM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Joan, I didn't know you started a new blog. You are back in my feeder.

I know I said something in my other post about blogger talking personal, but when I have read a certain bloggers posts for years and I sort of get to know them. This is when I don't mind reading personal info.

So Joan, yes I read your blog:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 07:31 AM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Awesome suggestions. I must say that if a cool technique is used, I am looking for a tutorial or link to one. Great feedback here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I may be guilty. TBH I blog first and cut & paste into the gallery. Sometimes the only picture and words are what is in the gallery and sometimes there is more. Just depends on the post because I'm not about re-inventing wheel. I always link the blog post in my gallery, I don't really keep track of blog views (couldn't even tell you) I just feel that as signatures don't show in the gallery it is a simple way for people to pop over to my blog if they want.

If there is more information on my blog I say that. If there isn't I just post the link to the blog post.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 08:56 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Like the others, I am often looking for who makes a particular die or image -- since expecting bloggers to enter things twice is, to me, undue burden on them, if this information isn't on the gallery post, and they've linked to a blog, I do expect to find that there. I do enjoy seeing added close-ups on the blog that aren't in the gallery. And, since I'm still trying to build up my Copic stash, I adore bloggers who take the time to tell me what colors they have used on hair, faces, etc. (though I certainly understand that this is a lot of extra work, so I don't think less of a blogger who doesn't do that.) But it is the companies for the dies and images that I really think should be listed on the blog entry if they are not in the gallery post. The rest is just nice to have.

So glad that we are getting discussion from both sides -- the bloggers and the readers -- in this thread. Thanks to all who have contributed to the discussion so far.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 10:47 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with swldebbie. This is a fabulous forum to hear both sides and to have it all done gracefully!!!!!!!!!! Great discussion

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 12:50 PM   #30  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Always keep in mind that not every blogger is an affiliate or designer for a manufacturer or store. If they do not have a contractual obligation to link products and share techniques, the presence of that information is a voluntary gift to you.

If you do want more information about a project, take the time to reach out and ask! Building friendships is lots more fun than being frustrated. If the blogger is a designer, hopefully she'll take the opportunity to clarify the information for the sake of potential customers. If she's just sharing her work for the simple love of crafting, she'll know she created something that was appreciated.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 01:01 PM   #31  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post

If you do want more information about a project, take the time to reach out and ask!

Yes! I agree. A lot of times people reduce the amount of information they share because people don't take the time to interact with their work. If they know you're there and watching, most people would love to give you what you want to see. If you feel you're performing in an empty theater, you might not give it your all.

Commenting and asking questions definitely raises the bar for everyone and builds community - great advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 03:26 PM   #32  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I know I try to link to my blog (directly to the post) in case you want to read my often long winded drivel and I also TRY (although not always because honestly every now and then I'm just in a hurry and I'd rather share the pic than nothing at all or I have forgotten what stamp or whatever it is and am not hauling my tired butt down the stairs to look lol) to list the supplies on my blog. I also try to copy and paste the supplies here on SCS so that they are listed both places and you don't have to go to my blog if you don't want to in order to find them. I hope that I don't annoy anyone with that. I guess it could be redundant but I'd rather have the info in both places. And sometimes on my blog I do get into a bit of my design process and how I came up with the card which I always find interesting in others posts.

And I love when people have questions and actually reach out and ask! I don't always get them if they happen to go into my spam but I try really hard to respond! I also hate anonymous posters who ask questions because then I can't find you and email you back directly lol! :-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 04:38 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Always keep in mind that not every blogger is an affiliate or designer for a manufacturer or store. If they do not have a contractual obligation to link products and share techniques, the presence of that information is a voluntary gift to you.

If you do want more information about a project, take the time to reach out and ask! Building friendships is lots more fun than being frustrated. If the blogger is a designer, hopefully she'll take the opportunity to clarify the information for the sake of potential customers. If she's just sharing her work for the simple love of crafting, she'll know she created something that was appreciated.
A blogger does not have to be affiliated or a designer for a cretin manufacturer for me to view or like their blog.

The thing here is said bloggers we are talking about craft and post cards. These bloggers know that readers interested in this craft or readers that make cards search out said bloggers. Why would these bloggers not know that we want info on stamp company, dies and techniques used. I think this should be a known issue.

But, yet some just babble on about husbands, kids, coworkers or rant about every day stuff. It is a blog of crafting. If I talked about my hubby or kids like some bloggers do online, my family would disown me. Seriously they would.

Just my 2 cents about craft blogging.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:37 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

If someone says, "check out my blog for more info" then I expect to find additional information on the blog. It's annoying if the blog doesn't contain any more details. Though what really irritates me is to be dumped into the blog and not to the specific post. I've wasted hours on various blogs searching for the promised extra info. I've been sucked down the rabbit hole too many times, so I no longer click on the blog link. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. And no, I'm never going to remember which blogs didn't provide more info and which delivered the goods. Hopefully those that just link to the blog do so because they don't know how to link to a specific post and that they will take the time to learn. I do appreciate those who take time to share their creations to inspire countless others.
Not a blogger; just a busy reader.
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

I agree so much. I know a few years ago when Provocraft had issues with 3rd party software I stopped doing Provocraft details in my blog. I'm not on a design team and don't see the point of advertising for a company unless it is my choice. There are so many options out there. Additionally I have had a hard drive crash in the last year and still am working on getting my laptop working. Honestly I blogged for several months from my phone. Oh the joys!

That said, if I have on a cute outfit at an event if someone likes something I expect them to ask me about what they like, not get upset because I don't have an itemized list stuck to my chest/back. I don't see my blog as any different (and I do a listing at the bottom of my blog post of most of my supplies and sizes similar to the gallery) and if there is something I forgot, by all means ask me.

TBH I don't have a huge following, so I figure most people already know how to put together a card I have done and normally tell the story of how it came together and my inspiration rather than writing a tutorial or how to make it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #36  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

I have to agree!!! nobody leaves comments on my blog. I have tried listing all the ingredients then I felt like why?? it's time consuming and I have no customers ..so why do it again..so someone can copy my card to the T and then what? it's frustrating but I started listing the ingredients again just because I have liked what I have done lately and thought well heck..let me see if I can get 1 customer LOL!!!! it's all so weird but whatever.. I do what makes me happy and if I feel like listing the product I will.. ..people want everything handed to them but can they take a minute to leave a nice comment ..NO but they can complain perfectly fine..go figure... weirdness I tell ya
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 07:28 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by punch-crazyView Post
I only link to my blog if I have additional information. Usually I have the full (free and downloadable) punch art "recipe' posted there.
I agree, if there is a link it should serve a purposes specific to the project posted.
I agree completely. I also try to do this in my blog. Sometimes though, I'm worried I'm giving too much info. I try to pick the top questions I think people will have and try to answer those.

Great thread and very useful for us who have blogs. 😀
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #38  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Creative Crew Alumni

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think comments are down on blogs. Don't take it personally....

I normally list the stamps, dies and anything else that might have someone scratching their heads. Most of the time list patterned papers(if I know where they are from) but I don't list cardstock colors anymore because a don't use just one company for that (and frankly I don't keep up with color names or what a close match to a SU paper would be).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 03:41 AM   #39  

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I prefer to 'binge' read some blogs and yours was one I would save up to do just that, and get caught up in what you were sharing. It was always a thoughtful and often profound read. But you ARE a great writer with interesting subjects to explore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2014, 04:39 AM   #40  

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like to think that any link from one of my gallery uploads was because I had additional information to impart. Whether everyone (or anyone for that matter) found it relevant or to their liking is another matter.

The other challenge I find with writing a post is being mindful that a lot of my readers are not traipsing through 'stampy' cyber space hangouts like SCS, and blog hops, and product blogs like I do. Some of those readers find all the product talk getting in the way of the good stuff of the hows and the whys.

I was happy to mention some products that may have been a feature on my creation, but since I was not affilliated with any product, manufacturer or supplier it didn't rate on my radar as something that needed to be done.

I've taken a big step back from blogging nine months ago, as I may have lost my original purpose (and pleasure) of writing and sharing my creative experience with those who I am far removed from. Sigh. If I'm going to do all the product endorsements, which I feel unwitting compelled to do at times, I may as well re-sign up to be a demo. Just a thought ;) I need to rethink my blogging future. Another big sigh......
Reply With Quote Likes