Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2010, 04:39 PM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reminiscing

I was just going through my subscriptions on SCS.

Can you believe that in 2008 someone wanted to print images off the computer instead of stamping it with a rubber stamp?

Looking for some printable websites where I can print off stamping images. by Lisa62 at Splitcoaststampers

or that we were afraid to ink up our cuttlebug folders?

cuttlebug emboss by RIRed2 at Splitcoaststampers

Any others that were unheard of or unthinkable that now make you smile?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #2  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Well, they do make me smile, but I still print images (clip art) on occasion, in fact I just made a card today from clip art. Sometimes you just need a special image, ya know? And now that digital images are all the rage...

I love when people think outside the box with their tools of the trade. I've had nesties since they first came out and it wasn't until a few months ago that it even occurred to me to use just a portion of a die cut.... or the negative portion .

It's funny how we evolve, huh?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 07:17 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

remember when we had (OK, I still have mine... but rarely use them...) the fancy edging scissors and cut oh so carefully to get a nice straight line? It was HARD to get the corners all the same!

It is kinda cool to think back. Maybe we don't get the same belly deep enjoyment over something new like we used to, though. Most of have so much.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am trying to decide if I should keep my fiskars texture plates. I remember how long it took to rub that roller-ball embosser across that paper!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Three or four years ago I remember thinking there's no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that I would spend $7 EACH on a felt pen!!!! (Copic markers... ) Here I am 270 later... haha..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by HartvillestamperView Post
I am trying to decide if I should keep my fiskars texture plates. I remember how long it took to rub that roller-ball embosser across that paper!
I just bought those a few... like 4 months before I broke down and bought the big shot. IN fact, that, and the fiskars scrap boss convinced me that even if I only pulled the big shot out once a month ( or even once a year! Not that it happens...) to emboss or cut it would save me tons of time. I did the stylus, stencil and dry paper thing once to a 12x12 sheet of cardstock for a layout. If that doesn't convince you that the embossing folders would save you time, effort and energy NOTHING will.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I have those plates too! Now they are in a drawer lol. Along with the 3 SETS of decorative scissors! (my family seems to think that craft equals those....... oh how wrong they are! I bearly ever used them!)

I also HAD to have the fiskars shape thingo. NEVER figured out how to use it and is almost perfect lol. Wonder if anyone would be interested in those things now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Lisha- would thatfiskars shape thing be the thing with the stencils that you cut out with round tool with a swivle blade in the center?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 12:53 AM   #9  
Crimping Master

That it would be
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 03:56 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I pulled my scrap boss out the other day becasuse I remembered there was a particular image that I wanted to use....a camera. I liked it but not for what I was using it for. So, then I went and looked at Cricut carts and found one with a camera.....bought it online. Quick, simple, end of story.

I still have the scissors and use them occasionally,tho' they are not something I pull out on a regular basis.

Don't use the digi stuff, too much a purist (call me old fashioned) to use them. I like the rubber! Okay....my 2 cents!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 05:55 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

I keep the best two pair of dec. edge scissors...all others have gone to the kids
i wonder if you can use the old embossing supplies in the BS/BK? I never got into dry embossing much, but am so in love with the BK i got this spring...yeah, late to the party, that's me!! :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 06:36 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
Three or four years ago I remember thinking there's no way in H-E-double hockey sticks that I would spend $7 EACH on a felt pen!!!! (Copic markers... ) Here I am 270 later... haha..
LOL! You and me both!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 09:01 AM   #13  
Hardware Hotshot

I got into this a year ago. When I started I vowed that everything for this hobby would have to fit in ONE 6 drawer Iris cart because I don't have a lot of extra space for more stuff .
One black ink pad should be plenty :lol::lol:
Fast forward-- 2 Iris carts, Two 4 drawer sets, a crate on wheels for paper ( that is in the closet) and an under the bed box for punches. All of which are full . I thew out all the old Video tapes and use the cabinet for Nesties and CB folders As for the ink I now have 9 ink pads and a few more on my wish list A wire shelf unit to hold the Cuttlebug and Wizard plus plastic boxes with rubber stamps. The paper trimmer in in the linen closet :lol:
So much for keeping these supplies to a minimum !!

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 07-30-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 09:43 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara JayView Post
I got into this a year ago. When I started I vowed that everything for this hobby would have to fit in ONE 6 drawer Iris cart because I don't have a lot of extra space for more stuff .
One black ink pad should be plenty :lol::lol:
Fast forward-- 2 Iris carts, Two 4 drawer sets, a crate on wheels for paper ( that is in the closet) and an under the bed box for punches. All of which are full . I thew out all the old Video tapes and use the cabinet for Nesties and CB folders As for the ink I now have 9 ink pads and a few more on my wish list A wire shelf unit to hold the Cuttlebug and Wizard plus plastic boxes with rubber stamps. The paper trimmer in in the linen closet :lol:
So much for keeping these supplies to a minimum !!
Sounds like you're doing fine! I had to move from my craft "area" into a whole seperate room! I grudgingly share it with the washer and dryer but I have plans to oust them next summer!

Although, when I started I had a plastic filing tote, one four-shelf bookcase and a footlocker, so I can see that you've got a great start!

~Wendy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alot of things that people don't use anymore are things I use on a regular basis. I like my Fiskar's edge scissors. They take practice to get a straight cut (I draw a straight line on the back of whatever I'm going to cut to follow). They complement my edge punches nicely and this way I have a lot more variety. I also have them in corner scissors. I use my texture plates in my cuttlebug all the time. You have to have the right sandwich to get the texture, but I have the fiskars and sizzix texture plates and they're great. I use digi images all the time. I used digi images even before they became popular in the stamping world. I started out as a digi scrapper 5 years ago and designed digi scrapbook kits for a few years, so they were easier to use for me than paper and ink. I love both now and but probably use digi more. I have the scrapboss and really like it. I don't use it that often because I often forget to take it out to use, but when I do, I enjoy using it.
The one thing I don't use a lot of anymore are shape punches. I have a CraftRobo and find I use that instead of punches for shapes. I'd have to have a whole other house to store the shape punches for what I can do with my CraftRobo.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

i have a lot of decorative scissors and do still use them.i use a template to cut around if i want squares circles or ovals and i dont stress if they dont exactly match.this is handmade .that makes it unique and one of a kind.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #17  
Matboard Maniac

i have a lot of decorative scissors and do still use them.i use a template to cut around if i want squares circles or ovals and i dont stress if they dont exactly match.this is handmade .that makes it unique and one of a kind.
br3n
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember the first time I heard of people unmounting their previously-wood-mounted stamps. I thought they were nuts. But as I ran out of storage space, I realized that they might be on to something. I unmounted everything nearly three years ago. And more people join the ranks of the unmounters every day. Never thought I'd see it. Heck, I never thought I'd be one of them, but here I am!

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid. - Albert Einstein
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 12:45 PM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by HartvillestamperView Post
I debated on getting rid of mine, but then decided to give it one more shot and see if they would work in the CuttleBug and they did.

They are not as deep as embossing folders, but they do work. You have to play with the sandwich depending on your machine and you can lightly spritz the paper with alcohol for a little deeper impression.

Here's a card I made using the Fiskars plate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2010, 04:53 PM   #20  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by transprntbutterflyView Post
I debated on getting rid of mine, but then decided to give it one more shot and see if they would work in the CuttleBug and they did.

They are not as deep as embossing folders, but they do work. You have to play with the sandwich depending on your machine and you can lightly spritz the paper with alcohol for a little deeper impression.

Here's a card I made using the Fiskars plate

Maybe I'll hang onto them for a little while longer..... ;)
Reply With Quote Likes