Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question for fellow Ebayers

I just checked in on whats out on Ebay this afternoon and clicked on quite a few reasonably priced items...at least I thought they were reasonable until I saw the shipping price! There are sellers out there who want double sometimes triple what it actually costs to ship! I buy and sell equally and don't try to gauge anyone on shipping. I mean, it's shipping...it's not like I am getting in the car and driving it to your house myself!

So, who among us ups their shipping price? If you do...what is your justification if you don't mind me asking? I really am curious...I mean, if there is a legitimate reason and I am just not seeing it, maybe I won't mind a slight increase here and there. Thanks for listening to me whine!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love to Ebay for stamps. I actually just purchased 2 Easter stamps that were very nice, and I got them cheap, like $1.04 or something insane like that. But the shipping was $4. So I decided that the stamps were worth the $5 total, and I bought them. I always calculate what my total will be, with the shipping. If I get the item cheap enough, I go for it. If not, I pass on it. But the shipping fee is the first thing I look at on an item. Isn't it fun to Ebay? I do enjoy a good hunt! Haha.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
I love to Ebay for stamps. I actually just purchased 2 Easter stamps that were very nice, and I got them cheap, like $1.04 or something insane like that. But the shipping was $4. So I decided that the stamps were worth the $5 total, and I bought them. I always calculate what my total will be, with the shipping. If I get the item cheap enough, I go for it. If not, I pass on it. But the shipping fee is the first thing I look at on an item. Isn't it fun to Ebay? I do enjoy a good hunt! Haha.
That's how I look at it, I judge the total price with shipping and then decide whether to bid or not.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-15-2013, 05:25 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceramicat1View Post
That's how I look at it, I judge the total price with shipping and then decide whether to bid or not.
Me three.

When I sell, I also don't try to gouge people on shipping. But I set my price to account for:
  • Actual USPS costs, which assuming I ship first class are usually around $2-3, PLUS
  • The cost of a bubble mailer and tissue paper, so about $.50, PLUS
  • the cost of delivery confirmation ($.90 now), PLUS
  • then I round up to the nearest dollar or so to account for some of the paypal and ebay fees I'm going to get hit with.

But I guarantee you that after I pay for all of that, I am still losing money out of the final value of my item. Which is why I don't sell a whole lot on eBay any more.

I will say, though, that things like $7 to ship when it's listed as FIRST CLASS MAIL for a lightweight pack of embellishments annoys the crap out of me. It doesn't even cost that much for priority if you stick it in a flat rate envelope. I always want to email the seller and say "You do realize that I can buy this elsewhere for 25 cents less on the purchase price and FOUR BUCKS CHEAPER on the postage, right?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 01:28 AM   #5  
Kookie Creator

It makes me wonder if Ebay charge commission on shipping. If they don't then that explains why price is so low but shipping super high.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 05:06 AM   #6  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I think Ebay now charges the sellers a fee on their shipping too. They didn't used to, but they do now.

I don't sell on ebay anymore because the fees are too high for me, but as a buyer I also take into account the shipping before I bid on an item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:08 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I also look at the shipping, add that to what its selling for, and see if its really a good buy, or not. Some people do seem to put the sale price at peanuts, and make up to a proper price with high shipping, I agree. Sometimes it can still be a bargain, but not always.
I remember a girl at work four or five years ago, found some fantastic designer dresses on sale, from ( I think) Malaysia, for around �30 each- so she bought 4. Didn't look at the shipping cost, and there was no discount for multiple purchase. Worked out in the end, each dress cost her nearly �250! May have still been cheap for designer, If of course they were even genuine, but boy did she get a shock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:23 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to buy/sell on ebay a LOT. But when I got busy with other stuff for a year or so I didn't use it at all. When I did go back to buy or sell something I was totally shocked at the cost of selling. Not only the increased fees but also the charges of PayPal!!!! I also noticed how people were totally gouging on their shipping charges. I am pretty much over using ebay because of that. I will still check it out when looking for something but hardly ever use it anymore.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 06:48 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

I was buying alot on ebay, but that is the main reason
i don't do ebay that much anymore. The shipping is crazy.
If the items are priced good and the shipping isn't bad it
will make up for it.
I hate to say, i'm still on ebay looking all the time.
I also look on here too, shipping is always good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I will say, though, that things like $7 to ship when it's listed as FIRST CLASS MAIL for a lightweight pack of embellishments annoys the crap out of me. It doesn't even cost that much for priority if you stick it in a flat rate envelope. I always want to email the seller and say "You do realize that I can buy this elsewhere for 25 cents less on the purchase price and FOUR BUCKS CHEAPER on the postage, right?"
YES! That is exactly it! UGH!

I would think that people would take into consideration the fees they will incur when pricing their item...not pricing the shipping. That logic just does not make sense to me. All in all, it comes to about 15%...that's the cost to sell on Ebay. What people get for that 15% is the ability to sell to anyone in the world, really. And the people looking at your item are already looking for it (not like a garage sale where people will see a Sizzix die and say "Wha'ts this?) Realtive to consignment shops and pawn shops, 15% is nothing. I guess I look at it like this: If you would not get more than $5 at a garage sale and you can sell it for $20 on Ebay, don't complain about the fees. As a seller, I just figure that as the cost of doing business. As a buyer, it is not my responsibility to pay sellers fees, that's why they are called sellers fees. Thanks for all of the input everyone!! Happy shopping/bidding!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 07:43 AM   #11  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 604 Likes on 424 Posts

I usually sell stuff here, but then go to ebay. The fees are going up, but where else am I going to sell stuff? If it is worth it to me, I will list and item. I usually weight the items so I have an idea of shipping. Often a flat rate envelope is the best way to go. IT is very expensive to ship to Canada right now, so I might have to limit to the US.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 08:12 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

I both buy and sell on ebay. More buying for sure! lol It's a lot of work to list an item so if its not worth much I dont bother listing it cuz you end up in the hole after all of the fees AND when I do sell I almost always do flat rate boxes/envelopes. Flat rate is easiest for me I find because I cant print and track online when printing my labels. It drives me CRAZY to see listings for 99cent and then shipping for 20+$ when the item is small and lightweight I've reported many a listings that are like that and you can too! All listings have a REPORT ITEM link and then it gives you options as for the reason...shipping charges being one of them! I only buy and sell to USA because shipping and customs stuff is too much of a hassle for me personally.
Being honest and fair is the only way to sell on ebay and live life for that matter!
Best Wishes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-16-2013, 08:14 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I think Ebay now charges the sellers a fee on their shipping too. They didn't used to, but they do now.
Yes, they do charge the final value fees on the item PLUS shipping-- it was precisely to deter the excessive gouging on shipping costs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post

I would think that people would take into consideration the fees they will incur when pricing their item...not pricing the shipping. That logic just does not make sense to me.
1. It's psychological for buyers. A 99 cent opening bid is more attractive than a $1.14 opening bid.
2. As far as building it in when pricing, that really only works if you put up an item with a buy it now price. If you put it up as an auction, the buyers will set the price, irrespective of building in 15% for seller fees.
3. It's psychological for the seller (at least this seller). I know that whatever I list for shipping isn't money I'm going to be able to keep. So I like to consider the final purchase price as "mine," which is why I build fees into shipping.

This is why I sort by "lowest+shipping," to find what's just lowest priced in total.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 04:06 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to alicaz

some people add ebay & paypal fees into their shipping fee too.

we are in Canada, but use USPS for all US customers, so we have to pay a cross-border courier too. It adds up, but it's still cheaper and faster than shipping with Canada Post.

and like others said - I use "price +shipping" sorting and just ignore the expensive ones ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 04:12 AM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

YES! That is exactly it! UGH!

I would think that people would take into consideration the fees they will incur when pricing their item...not pricing the shipping. That logic just does not make sense to me. All in all, it comes to about 15%...that's the cost to sell on Ebay. What people get for that 15% is the ability to sell to anyone in the world, really. And the people looking at your item are already looking for it (not like a garage sale where people will see a Sizzix die and say "Wha'ts this?) Realtive to consignment shops and pawn shops, 15% is nothing. I guess I look at it like this: If you would not get more than $5 at a garage sale and you can sell it for $20 on Ebay, don't complain about the fees. As a seller, I just figure that as the cost of doing business. As a buyer, it is not my responsibility to pay sellers fees, that's why they are called sellers fees. Thanks for all of the input everyone!! Happy shopping/bidding!
I'm getting ready to put two boxes on Ebay, but I would price the shipping 15% extra IF I was going to try to take into account seller and Paypal fees, because I'm not going to price the item. I will list the opening bids at 1 cent, and let the BIDDERS (if there are any) price the item. Now, that said, I think I'm going to just price the shipping at the standard $12.85 for a medium flat-rate Priority box. My goal is to get rid of clutter, not necessarily to make a profit. It still IS a lot of work to take photos and upload them and type in all the descriptions, but I will NOT set up a yard sale (hate contact with strangers) and I can't bring myself to just leave them at Goodwill, 'cause they did cost a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #16  
Stampin' Fool

For those who are letting the auction set the price...why start it at .99? To avoid a $0.50 listing fee? You do know you can set it at whatever the lowest price is that you are willing to accept, right? I guess I just do things differently. At least I understand now why people do it though I guess I am just one of those who is willing to pay a small percentage to the "house" in order to get my item out there to so many people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

For those who are letting the auction set the price...why start it at .99? To avoid a $0.50 listing fee? You do know you can set it at whatever the lowest price is that you are willing to accept, right? I guess I just do things differently. At least I understand now why people do it though I guess I am just one of those who is willing to pay a small percentage to the "house" in order to get my item out there to so many people.
I think this is a psychological thing too. It is much easier to get someone to bid at .99 than 9.99. HOwever, once they have bid, the need to "win" kicks in, and that same person who wouldn't have bid when the starting bid was 9.99, will now bid that to beat out the other bidders on an item. I see this all the time when I list an auction with a lower starting bid and a reasonable buy it now option. Many times the bidding has ended up above the original buy it now. Do i think it is a bit of a gamble for the lister - they are gambling there will be a bidding war if they get people bidding.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Well, I start my auctions at 1 cent, because I am TOO LAZY to figure out what the lowest price is that I'm willing to accept. I sell so seldomly, that I didn't even know about the 50 cent listing fee.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 09:28 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I have bought stamps off e-bay and always look at the shipping cost and tally it up for total cost, sometimes it isn't worth it! I live in Canada and I get soooo annoyed when I read no shipping to Canada, I would be prepared to pay more but not be gouged. My pet peeve is when I see stamp sets marked RARE or Retired, and they are in the current SU catty. Is there a way to report that to e-bay?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 10:07 AM   #20  
Insane Embellisher

sorry also, I mean no disrespect for sellers who don't ship to Canada, I realize from your comments it could be a hassle with higher shipping and customs. I do believe though you are missing a whole bunch of customers who expect a slightly higher shipping rate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynkimView Post
My pet peeve is when I see stamp sets marked RARE or Retired, and they are in the current SU catty. Is there a way to report that to e-bay?
Oh, I know, that drives me crazy too!! Also, when people put "Use with" Stampin' Up so that if you are specifically looking for Stampin Up products, all of their stuff is in there too. If I wanted CTMH to use with SU then I would search for CTMH...ya know?

It's funny though, I bet it works and that is why they do it. Same with putting "Rare" on a stamp set or charging too much for shipping to, in effect, charge the buyer for your seller fees; it works a lot of the time or people would not continue to do it. I just hope that the poeple who do it don't mind when it's the other way around and they are charged $6.95 by SU to ship embellies ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Personally I will not buy from people who want to gauge me on the shipping. Actually that gets my hair up. Just make your item cost what you want out of it. People are not stupid we know what they are doing. Ok now I can get off my soap box!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 01:59 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate bidding. Some people enjoy the game of it, but I don't, I just find it time consuming and annoying. I only buy on Ebay if there's a Buy It Now offer. Then, I decide if I want to pay the asking price or not, taking the shipping into consideration.

I find lately I like buying from Etsy when I can. It's a more personal experience. And no bidding.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-17-2013 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #24  
Embossing Fanatic

I always check the shipping price too before considering buying the item. Will not consider buying something from that person if they increase the shipping price. I will wait and look for the same item else wheres. I think everyone should boycott people who increase the shipping for no reason other than their gain.

I do know that shipping is expensive. I had a punch that I was going to mail to a friend and this was $6.30 just for shipping no added extra charges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #25  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

1. There is no listing fee for the first 50 auctions, so no, it's not about the listing fee.

2. I have been selling on ebay for over a decade, so yes-- I do in fact know that I can set it at the lowest price I will accept. I can also put a reserve on it, but I usually set it with a bid and a buy it now option (with what I'd ideally like) because like Joan, I often have more success getting more than my minimum by opening it to bids rather than simply setting a buy it now.

Sidenote to lynkim: I used to sell to Canada because smaller parcels usually cost about what they do in the US. Now, the MINIMUM parcel cost to canada is $6 and change. Also, they changed the customs forms so that the clerk has to enter my info, and your info, and ALL the info on the customs form into the computer. I can't hold up the lines at the post office like that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 05:22 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

sorry also, I mean no disrespect for sellers who don't ship to Canada, I realize from your comments it could be a hassle with higher shipping and customs. I do believe though you are missing a whole bunch of customers who expect a slightly higher shipping rate.
Ahh...so sorry LynKim (and all Canadians)... in my case it is again, just laziness. I am too lazy to try to figure out how to get a set shipping quote to Canada. What I did is, I went to the post office with all my stuff in a box. They said the shipping would vary, and if I wanted a set price, to use the flat-rate boxes. So now I'm trying to squash all the stuff into two medium flat-rate boxes. Only, those boxes ship to the US only, for the unchanging rate of $12.85. I have to go a second time to get a second box. Perhaps I'll ask how much it will be to Canada, and if I have to then use a different box. It'll probably be a while before I make it down to the post office again though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #27  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
1. There is no listing fee for the first 50 auctions, so no, it's not about the listing fee.

When I started selling, there was, and it was waived if you started the auction at .99. You have been selling for ten years, I am sure you remember that I do not pay one now but I did not know that was gone for all sellers new and old. I have noticed that there is no charge for additional pictures either whereas you used to only get the first one for free unless it was a special offer or limited time perk for sellers with higher numbers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-17-2013, 05:50 PM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
Ahh...so sorry LynKim (and all Canadians)... in my case it is again, just laziness. I am too lazy to try to figure out how to get a set shipping quote to Canada. What I did is, I went to the post office with all my stuff in a box. They said the shipping would vary, and if I wanted a set price, to use the flat-rate boxes. So now I'm trying to squash all the stuff into two medium flat-rate boxes. Only, those boxes ship to the US only, for the unchanging rate of $12.85. I have to go a second time to get a second box. Perhaps I'll ask how much it will be to Canada, and if I have to then use a different box. It'll probably be a while before I make it down to the post office again though.
If you can print your postage at home, ebay has really helped make international shipping easier. Now the cusoms form prints right with the label - then just drop it off at the PO. At least that's how it worked last time a sold to someone in Canada... but it's been almost a year I think, and the way things change who knows now!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 04:19 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Yes, I believe that can be reported also. It has something to do with "the use of words to atract buyers"... If you click on the Report Item link I think the choice is there, I think? You can click on Report Item to see the options and then just Cancel and not report to see what's available ;)

Quote:

I have bought stamps off e-bay and always look at the shipping cost and tally it up for total cost, sometimes it isn't worth it! I live in Canada and I get soooo annoyed when I read no shipping to Canada, I would be prepared to pay more but not be gouged. My pet peeve is when I see stamp sets marked RARE or Retired, and they are in the current SU catty. Is there a way to report that to e-bay?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 AM   #30  
Glitter Guru

Thanks for the info! I'll have to look into this because I do print my shipping thru eBay

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkstampinView Post
If you can print your postage at home, ebay has really helped make international shipping easier. Now the cusoms form prints right with the label - then just drop it off at the PO. At least that's how it worked last time a sold to someone in Canada... but it's been almost a year I think, and the way things change who knows now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 04:24 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Going to look into shipping to Canada since it was pointed out that it's not so bad when printing the postage at home

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #32  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 604 Likes on 424 Posts

I have no issue shipping to Canada, but the small package I was going to ship cost $8 and it was too much for the buyer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Oh my goodness, lots of comments about shipping to Canada! I know some Canadians who have a US mailing address, then go across to pick up the package and I presume they pay duty crossing back into Canada, which could be an option. However having just browsed the Cold Turkey 2013 thread...maybe avoiding e-bay is a "good thing" ? ;-}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #34  
Stampin' Fool

I always charge what the actual cost will be to mail the item either priority or parcel post; buyers choice. The only time I've added a cost is if I've had to purchase a padded envelope or extra packing or something because the winner actually won more than one auction and I didn't have anything on hand that would hold it all.

I've been ACCUSED of jacking up my shipping costs...which annoyed me. I very carefully and politely emailed my buyer giving her exact measurements and the weight and clarified that I took it to my local post office for weighing it and didn't just "guess" it for myself.

Because of that I've been tempted to go "flat rate only"; but that can end up costing more if the size of the item requires a larger flat rate box; you aren't really getting your monies worth unless you stuffed it full, you know what I mean? Those flat rate boxes or envelopes are convenient for the sellers for sure, but not always the cheapest way to go.

I usually end up eating the fees that Ebay takes out and Paypal takes out. It's been awhile since I've listed anything on Ebay. When I do, I have started putting a detailed explanation in the listing that spells out if I use flat rate boxes, if I will combine shipping on multiple items and to explain to the buyers if that is the case to please WAIT for me to invoice them with ACTUAL shipping costs to avoid any problems. Some listen, and some don't. But I've maintained my 100% positive rating as a seller so hopefully that counts for something.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I buy and sell in my Ebay store. It is getting harder and harder to make a profit between papal and Ebay taking a chunk. I try to take advantage of any listing specials they offer and I am always reasonable or free on the shipping. Was shocked when I got the tax notification from Ebay saying I made nearly $20,000.00 last year. I can only imagine what the total would be if there were no fees taken out.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #36  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Ebay is my Las Vegas. It is a gamble to see if I can get great stuff "cheap". I tell my husband that everything (most everything) I have gotten on ebay, I can't believe I got for the prices I did. I used to be able to get really good deals, but that seldom happens any more and yes, shipping costs are crazy. I too always check the shipping costs and add that to the total. Yesterday I did a double take on something.. someone was selling their stash and shipping was $110!! At first I thought it was $11 and almost placed a bid! Phew, glad I checked it again. Sometimes if the item is a good price its because the shipping is so high.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #37  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Ebay is raising the final value fee to 10% next month. That is 10% of the bid PLUS the shipping. And that is in addition to any listing fees and paypal fees (30 cents plus around 3% of bid plus shipping).

USPS prices also just went up in January.

That being said - I usually charge between $2.50 and $3.95 for first class (factor in cost of padded envelope - 50 cents - and weight - must be under 13 ou). And $5.50 plus for priority (no cost for packing supplies, but prices start at around $5). I'm on the East Coast so I add a little extra because some packages to the West Coast have been costing me 8 or 9 dollars just for less than 1-2 pounds. And you can't fit 12 x 12 paper in a small flat rate box (medium flat rate box is $11.30 now I believe).

It's still a good way to make some money on things you don't use any more, but I agree - factor in about 15% for fees if you are selling. And if you are buying, recognize that shipping prices (and fees on shipping cost) have skyrocketed in the last year or 2.
my pins www.pinterest.com/craftdoc
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2013, 05:33 PM   #38  
Kookie Creator

i sell on ebay, and I try to charge actual shipping as close as possible. Other things than the actual shipping cost need to be considered though. I use a lot of padded envelopes. buying them in bulk will save a lot of money, but its still an expense. Also, time is money and it does take time to go to the post office if needed. Even if I print postage at home and drop it in the mailbox then I'm using the shipping label and ink. I know some sellers shipping charges are out of control though. I have an item I sell a lot and it costs me $1.30 postage, I charge $1.75.
Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.-Ephesians 4:32
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post

I don't sell on ebay anymore because the fees are too high for me, but as a buyer I also take into account the shipping before I bid on an item.
You are correct! My hubby sells a ton of stuff on ebay and there is now a final value fee charged on all shipping charges. That is in addition to the final value fee that they charge for the actual item. His ebay fees are ridiculous and a reason we have slowly started to not sell on ebay anymore. Paypal fees aren't too bad but with ebay- you have an insertion fee, fees for pictures/other listing features, final value fee for the item, final value fee for the shipping, etc. Plus- sellers can no longer leave negative feedback for buyers which I personally disagree with but it is what it is. Ebay is trying to attract more buyers so they impose more fees on sellers to encourage the sellers to offer free shipping. If a seller offers free shipping- usually at the end of the month ebay will discount the seller's fees based on the dollar amount of merchandise sold.

As far as first class shipping goes- shipping charges vary depending on the recipient's zip code. An address that is further away will cost more to ship that it would to an address that is close.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2013, 11:16 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftdocView Post
Ebay is raising the final value fee to 10% next month. That is 10% of the bid PLUS the shipping. And that is in addition to any listing fees and paypal fees (30 cents plus around 3% of bid plus shipping).

USPS prices also just went up in January.

That being said - I usually charge between $2.50 and $3.95 for first class (factor in cost of padded envelope - 50 cents - and weight - must be under 13 ou). And $5.50 plus for priority (no cost for packing supplies, but prices start at around $5). I'm on the East Coast so I add a little extra because some packages to the West Coast have been costing me 8 or 9 dollars just for less than 1-2 pounds. And you can't fit 12 x 12 paper in a small flat rate box (medium flat rate box is $11.30 now I believe).

It's still a good way to make some money on things you don't use any more, but I agree - factor in about 15% for fees if you are selling. And if you are buying, recognize that shipping prices (and fees on shipping cost) have skyrocketed in the last year or 2.
If you pay for the flat-rate box AT the post office (instead of online) it's $12.35. Huh. I had mis-read it as $12.85.
Reply With Quote Likes