Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-03-2015, 04:35 AM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Planners: The Next Big Trend?

I have seen an explosion of creativity with people who customize their daily planners. I could spend hours on pinterest browsing through planner pages...Filofax, Kikki K, Erin Condrin. And the blogs! Wow!

I was super excited to see that Simple Stories released their own planners with Life Documented. I've ordered the entire system, and cannot wait for it to come so that I can get started.

I think this new trend capitalizes on two things: First, all of the Project Life/December Daily/SNAP/Smash journalers who have changed the face of scrapbooking. Second, all of the organizers who love to clean and sort and organize everything from home offices to pantries to finances.

I think this could be a BIG trend for the industry! Has anyone else jumped on the planner craze?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 04:50 AM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i have not but agree that it is a very popular trend
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 04:51 AM   #3  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't jumped on it, but I agree it will be a trend. It's sort of a modification of Smash Books, and I'll bet K & Company (EK Success) comes out with a Smash Book planner. i'm not sure how big a trend it will be --depends on how willing people are to give up or supplement their digital applications.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 05:24 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,120 Likes on 503 Posts

I have a planner, but only because I can't remember things!
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 06:04 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

One reason I love the new Simple Stories planner system: it gives you pages for adding sketches. I think this will be awesome for keeping track of all of the challenges here at SCS and other sites as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 07:08 AM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I love the idea, but I'm going paperless. I don't want to carry a big planner around, especially since everything can be easily tracked on my phone.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 08:21 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

There are some A.MA.ZING planners out there, for sure! This definitely ups the "fun" factor for something that is typically mundane. Will I jump in? Not for a daily or weekly planner (I'm pretty much paperless - haven't had checks for the past seven years and don't even carry a purse), but I could see myself doing it as a chronicle or to make a yearly planner to track birthdays and anniversaries and such!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 08:24 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I am trying to use my phone more to keep track of appointments on the calendar app; I do still tend to grab paper and pen and keep lists that end up floating around the kitchen, my desk or somewhere in the bottomless depths of my purse!
I could also spend hours looking at the way people are decorating and personalizing their planner pages.
While I enjoy looking at what other people do, I don't think it is very functional...at least not for me.
If I am going to go to the trouble to carry around a planner book of some kind it will need to be at least 5 x 8 for me to be able to write in it, and then later read what I wrote!:-)
I do not want to "bulk it up" with decorated pages, paper clips, or layers of paper and embellishments. I want it as streamlined as possible. This makes it easier to carry around and possibly fit in my purse; plus, for the way my brain works, it makes it easier to find that days "to do" list, or find that month's calendar without all the decorative stuff getting in the way.
Much like I prefer my scrapbook pages ( when I do them )to feature the photos themselves and not a whole lot of decoration.
This is just my personal preference. Some people find they will use a planner more if it is personalized and decorated with all their favorite things...to each her own!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 08:36 AM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I do like the more simple way to "scrapbook" with the Life Cards, & a planner is a must for a busy life. I've always just used a Wall calendar though. I'm not so much into these new trends though, because of the Life cards & if the planners take off, it seems some stamp companies focus only on them. No more super images are available for card makers! :( (SU seems to be going the with trend of the Life cards.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 09:23 AM   #10  
Inking Addict

I've used paper planners (Franklin Covey brand) for 18 years. For me, I like to be able to see things on paper rather than electronically (although I appreciate the e-mail reminders at work, using the Google calendar.)

This looks like fun, I think it will be / is a new trend. Personal thoughts - I think it looks like fun to decorate a plain planner, but I also know that there is great potential for me to not have the time to devote to it and keep it up - leading to frustration.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I haven't jumped on the planner craze. I don't even know what I would use a planner for. I don't keep track of stuff electronically either. I just rely on my memory. There's not much that I have to remember, because I'm anti-social and tend to decline to go to anything, or if I don't decline on the spot, I tend to back out of it later or at least try to postpone it. If I absolutely can't find an excuse or reason to not go, it is so incredibly unpleasant for me that no effort is needed for me to remember that I need to go. In fact it ruins my day/week/month and I can't stop thinking about it until it is over and done with and I'm FINALLY home again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Decorating and decorated planners have been around for a few years now. If you search YouTube, you'll find even more brands than you've named above. Guess who spent too much time looking at different planners and set-ups there? LOL I think the trend is now towards finding "planner peace"--finding what works for you, even if that means using several different ones for specific reasons or hacking together a personalized system. A lot of those brand-name planners are expensive to buy, only to find after a month that they don't really work for you. I heard several ladies on YouTube who had done monthly or weekly decoration vlogs say that they're still using planners, but they're simplifying or even stopping on the decorating of their planners and also vlogging those.

I love using paper and pens, so I carry a monthly calendar together with a notebook as my planner/organizer/journal. After looking at YouTube, I decided to try a new format this year in my notebook for organizing my week. After using it this week, I need to make some adjustments, but it's working as intended, so that's what counts in my book (aka planner)! ;D

I joined the Fan Club to get Dirty!

challenging myself to make 100 in 100
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #13  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Talking Wow

MaryRose, I love it! I do use my phone and outlook calendar but I've been using a planner for work for over 20+ years so giving up my written one just hasn't worked, not to mention, I love to write it down... I LOVE lists, LOL!

I think it would be neat to merge my work need for a planner with my love of creativity. I'm off to check out the options, this would definitely bring a smile daily, I would enjoy the colors
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #14  
Hardware Hotshot

I am definitely a list and paper gal, all the way. I use my phone only for calls, texts, and photos. I am trying to back off too much tech in my daily life. That's why I prefer cards over Facebook greetings.

I have a good friend who's been using planners for years...Filofax, Kate Spade, you name it. I also know that there are bloggers who've been showcasing this for years. A Bowl Full of Lemons is super popular. I've been dabbling in planners for a while. Last year I purchased a pocket size Filofax, which was way too small for me. Then I purchased Punctuate planners from Barnes and Noble, and the personal size worked pretty well for me.

I also need more room for journaling and jotting down notes. That's one reason I am so excited about the Simple Stories planners, which are a 6 x 8 size. Good for the desk, but also great for its portability. I also love it because it's colorful, and it all coordinates.

I think it's just another fun venue, and great way to get a little more use out of our washi, stickers, stamps, inks, and papers!

I plan on using mine for school schedules, work schedules, menu planning, financial planning, and day to day appointments.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 04:03 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Here's a good video that quickly showcases the SS planner:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/B4CLqsx-jz0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And another more in depth video of how one person set her planner up:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iGSG60r0yFM?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 01-04-2015 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: added embed code
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #16  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Thumbs up ohhh

did you also see the Erin Condren ones? I've spent the last 2 hours watching video's on the comparisons .... now, which one, hmmm?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 05:35 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by LmnView Post
did you also see the Erin Condren ones? I've spent the last 2 hours watching video's on the comparisons .... now, which one, hmmm?
It's addictive, isn't it? ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-03-2015, 07:02 PM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I also thought this video by Jennifer McGuire explaining her Erin Condren planner was a good one:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rtS6qnSYUSA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 01-04-2015 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: added embed code
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2015, 04:08 AM   #19  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love planners. I can fit my week on a small post-it note, lol. I don't need a planner. I love to use my planner as my daily life journal. Plus, Kawaii Love! That's what kicked the planner love back into full swing was all of us Kawaii girls decorating our planners and just using it as an excuse to buy stickers and cute stationery from Japan!

I love planners because I love stationery, cute stickers, Project Life & Smash Books. I love to journal and write. Just typing all that stuff makes me want to go play!

I have a Metropol Filofax. I am wanting to do a Hobonichi. I love the Kikki K's planners. I am eyeing the Kate Spade. I saw a Chanel that made me cry with the wanties! I think my next planner will be Chanel. I do alot of planners with themes.

I love the new kits out but I don't want to give up my Kawaii collecting funds. I will be good.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2015, 04:33 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

DeeAnn, you brought back memories of a sticker album I used to have as a kid!! I loved collecting pretty stickers for this album!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2015, 10:25 AM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh yes! How could I forget Kawaii? LOL! All of those gals that trick out their planners with cute stickers, pens, bookmarks and charms. So much eye candy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #22  
Kookie Creator

I have my smash book for the random bits that I collect, but for a planner, I use a bullet journal technique. It's any plain notebook you want to use and doesn't require a fancy system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2015, 11:35 AM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I had a FiloFax for years, and really only moved to totally paperless in the last year.
But, while I can admire what I see other people doing, something that I carried in my purse and took in and out of it several times a day every single day of the year for twenty years (a couple of new binders along the way, but even yet there are still a few bits and pieces from my very first one) had to be functional and sturdy above all else. Besides, it was so full that I couldn't have fit any extra pages for fun into it!! But I'd agree, it certainly seems to be a trend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #24  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking Very Fun!

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
It's addictive, isn't it? ;)
Oh my, oh my .... YES! I was very addicted last night to checking out all of the options. Who knew?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
I also thought this video by Jennifer McGuire explaining her Erin Condren planner was a good one:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/rtS6qnSYUSA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
This was my favorite one MaryRose, I liked practical w/ decorative and the bag is perfect for the planner which drops into my briefcase. I think I'm going EC

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 01-04-2015 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: added embed code
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #25  
Insane Embellisher

This whole planner thing is blowing my mind LOL Maybe because I have not a lot to plan haahaa!!

I have seen people on YouTube have 4 and 5 planners!!! DANG...Some people must be REALLY busy, I need to get out more!!! LOL

So I'm not sure, do you write, ..Wake up, Eat Breakfast, Take a shower, Feed kids, oh wait I don't have kids, Need to make a card today. Go the bathroom, make sure kids do homework, Oh wait, still no kids, make dinner, today is lasagna. feed cat. blah blah blah.

It that why people need so many planners or is it just a fun replacement for scrapbooking??

When the year is up, do you throw away your planner?? Keep them forever???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Trust me, if you are someone like Jennifer McGuire, juggling the duties of half a dozen design teams and deadlines and blog posts ALONG with family life, then you need a planner to keep track of all of it!

I like the sense of accomplishment and purpose that planning gives life. I am a list maker, too, and I love to cross off those "TO DO's". And I have a pretty full life: keeping track of my work schedule, my husband's travel schedule, my son's work schedule, two other son's school schedules. Bible studies, church events, school events. Lunches and meetings with friends. Visits from out-of-town family. Birthdays, music lessons, dentist and dr appointments. Classes, community events, concerts. It's a lot, and keeping track of it all can be a daunting task.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2015, 03:56 PM   #27  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGirlThereView Post
This whole planner thing is blowing my mind LOL Maybe because I have not a lot to plan haahaa!!

I have seen people on YouTube have 4 and 5 planners!!! DANG...Some people must be REALLY busy, I need to get out more!!! LOL

So I'm not sure, do you write, ..Wake up, Eat Breakfast, Take a shower, Feed kids, oh wait I don't have kids, Need to make a card today. Go the bathroom, make sure kids do homework, Oh wait, still no kids, make dinner, today is lasagna. feed cat. blah blah blah.

It that why people need so many planners or is it just a fun replacement for scrapbooking??

When the year is up, do you throw away your planner?? Keep them forever???
Do you keep your wall calendars forever, or do you toss them when the year is over? I guess it's a personal preference. Calendars, planners....they're both just tools for day to day living and organizing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2015, 11:00 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

I have several planners because I like books & journals. I love to write and design. As my DH likes to say abut me "She likes to make things pretty." I keep planners for fashion, gardening, home decor, books, gaming, etc... No, I don't have a busy life. I am a homebody but I don't think I need to get out more. ;) I like being at home and being creative.

No, I don't really keep a planner. I have a small notebook I write down what I need to do for the day. I enjoy buying beautiful planners to keep my art in or things that inspire me. Why not have a pretty book, if you can afford it, to keep things that you love?

Yes, I do keep my planners. I enjoy reading them and seeing how much life changed. I do keep my old calenders too. I use them in my art work. I do tear up my planners and use them in my art work too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
DeeAnn, you brought back memories of a sticker album I used to have as a kid!! I loved collecting pretty stickers for this album!!
I loved doing sticker albums when I was a kid too. There is still ladies still doing sticker albums. I just bought a large binder to start a new sticker album. I am not going to let those ladies have all that fun without me, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 12:30 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThatGirlThereView Post
This reminded me of the diaries I had as a kid and teenager. I wrote pretty much the same thing in them every day: "did homework. Showered." After a while, it became shortened to "hw. sh/d." LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 12:45 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
I do not want to "bulk it up" with decorated pages, paper clips, or layers of paper and embellishments. I want it as streamlined as possible. This makes it easier to carry around and possibly fit in my purse; plus, for the way my brain works, it makes it easier to find that days "to do" list, or find that month's calendar without all the decorative stuff getting in the way.
I completely agree. My diary/planner needs to be practical and portable - I have an A6 page-a-day one that can fit easily into my handbag but has room for lots of info.

This is going to sound really mean, but I kind of regard a planner with lots of obsessive colour coordination, special stickers etc quite "junior school" ;) Sort of makes me wonder, are people trying to SHOW how organised they are with all these added extras, or are they ACTUALLY organised...?

Last edited by PikkuLilla; 01-05-2015 at 12:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 04:57 AM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by PikkuLillaView Post
I completely agree. My diary/planner needs to be practical and portable - I have an A6 page-a-day one that can fit easily into my handbag but has room for lots of info.

This is going to sound really mean, but I kind of regard a planner with lots of obsessive colour coordination, special stickers etc quite "junior school" ;) Sort of makes me wonder, are people trying to SHOW how organised they are with all these added extras, or are they ACTUALLY organised...?
Let's face it. We're crafters, and crafters are big show offs. If we were not, then the gallery here would be empty, there would be no crafting blogs, and we'd save a whole lot of money by sending Hallmark cards instead. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 05:59 AM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PikkuLillaView Post

It only sounds mean if it's intended that way - otherwise, it sounds more like a somewhat narrow view of the "planner project". Just as with other crafty pursuits, there are different motives and different levels of involvement. Some are strictly functional, some put more "fun" in the "fun"ctional, and some go all-out. I think those that are doing it full-force (with or without stickers) are doing it more for the fun and creative expression of the whole thing than for the practicality. One more outlet for the muse and one more way to use all of the "pretties" that get collected. Better than hoarding, say I!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 08:22 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
It only sounds mean if it's intended that way - otherwise, it sounds more like a somewhat narrow view of the "planner project". Just as with other crafty pursuits, there are different motives and different levels of involvement. Some are strictly functional, some put more "fun" in the "fun"ctional, and some go all-out. I think those that are doing it full-force (with or without stickers) are doing it more for the fun and creative expression of the whole thing than for the practicality. One more outlet for the muse and one more way to use all of the "pretties" that get collected. Better than hoarding, say I!
Yes, even without the crafting element there are different ideas of planners' purposes. Some I know use their planners as both work and very personal diaries. To some who are crafty the planners become like journals and art journals. There's no limit to the imagination here, and there's tons of crossover.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #34  
Lmn
Stazon Splitcoast

Talking Yup

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
Yes, even without the crafting element there are different ideas of planners' purposes. Some I know use their planners as both work and very personal diaries. To some who are crafty the planners become like journals and art journals. There's no limit to the imagination here, and there's tons of crossover.
For me, I use my planner for work and personal. I add appointments to my calendar daily, plus trips, events etc... so it also helps me plan my personal life around my very busy work life. I like the idea of adding a splash of color and some "fun" because it's an expression of my personal interests outside of work and yet it can be very functional for work plus add my personal stuff to do. I'm another "List Lover" and doodler so it's fun to keep track this way. It might be "junior high" but I'm okay with that too as it will give me a smile every time I look at it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 06:28 PM   #35  
Matboard Maniac

On a spending freeze for now but would like to get a Filofax at some point. I love how they turn them into gorgeous art journals!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would simply die without my iPhone, everything is in it: appointments, lists, etc. When I'm shopping and want to do some price comparisons, I snap a quick photo. Same when I'm shopping for supplies for a project, I go to all the stores, take pictures of everything I like, then go home and calculate costs, narrow down my choices, etc.

That being said, last year I had to adopt a wall calendar method as well. We went from two vehicles to one, so the wall calendar is a must for tracking who needs the car when. And I've seen some cute stamp sets for planners that would work well on my calendar! Other than that, I could never ever go back to a paper planner: too slow, too cumbersome.

My blog: Organized Craft Chaos | My Etsy supplies shop
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

It only sounds mean if it's intended that way
I feel like a couple of the comments have seemed snarky and mean. I keep thinking Webster Pages could make a fortune if they made a snarky journal kit.

PikuLilla- I do obsessive color coordinate things. I have OCD that's been diagnosed. Yes, I am ACTUALLY organized.

Sue summed up why I journal. I like to go full force on my journals. It's my creative expression and I get to play with all those pretties I have collected. My planners are my art journals.

It being junior high. There was a recent study that those who feel young live longer. I will be adding Hello Kitty stickers to my journal when I am 110 years young.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2015, 12:12 AM   #38  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Granted, I was thinking of a planner in a very narrow context! More as a day-to-day diary/calendar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2015, 12:14 AM   #39  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisa MayView Post
This is true! I was thinking only of a daily planner but of course there are so many more options out there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-06-2015, 12:24 AM   #40  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I feel like a couple of the comments have seemed snarky and mean. I keep thinking Webster Pages could make a fortune if they made a snarky journal kit.

PikuLilla- I do obsessive color coordinate things. I have OCD that's been diagnosed. Yes, I am ACTUALLY organized.

Sue summed up why I journal. I like to go full force on my journals. It's my creative expression and I get to play with all those pretties I have collected. My planners are my art journals.

It being junior high. There was a recent study that those who feel young live longer. I will be adding Hello Kitty stickers to my journal when I am 110 years young.
I was thinking of a planner as more of a practically-focused book rather than an expressive art journal, but of course there's no reason it couldn't be both (or just the latter)

I am also a big fan of colour coding for efficiency (e.g. different types of tasks). Maybe it's just my form/function obsession (leaning to form following function rather than the other way around) that makes me a bit bemused by the new trend!

The reason I referred to junior school is because I remember it as an era when we had lots of time to indulge our fancies - my best friend and I altered our handwriting to look more "cool" and interesting, one of my classmates had a diary in which she stuck EVERYTHING (tickets, chocolate wrappers etc). It's not a bad thing, I guess it just seems like a luxury! ;)
Reply With Quote Likes