Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-09-2016, 06:42 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Pinterest aaargggghhh!

Have you gotten a lot of "picked for you" based on your boards over the last few days?

Oh, boy, I sure have. I decided to count this morning. In the past 24 hours I had 283 pins come up in my feed. I "hid" 136 of them because...well...to be honest, they weren't what I wanted to see.

Well, I must confess to saving 3 of them today. :rolleyes:

Spring flowers with lots of layers...inspired by my Christmas cards board?
Art techniques I don't really want to try.
Stamping techniques...inspired by my floral cards board?
Cards I've seen dozens of times.
Even recommending my own cards to me!
A pin that shows the sizes of dies in a set...inspired by a photography board?
Clothes that aren't my style. I don't even pin clothes!
Food I don't want to make and isn't like anything I have pinned.
Personal development pin...inspired by a recipe board?????
And the list could go on and on.

After I had hidden those 136 boards, I refreshed so that I could see what I wanted to see...and of the 16 new pins, 9 were picked by Pinterest.

I sure do hope that this isn't a pattern...

How about you?
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 06:54 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could go to your pinterest settings and turn off the "stuff you might like" in notifications. I think that would stop any suggested pins.

Personally I have no issues with the suggested, some I don't like/want, some I pin. I look and scroll down pretty quickly when I do go to that page. I like those as being listed first better than just seeing the most recent pins of the whole world. They are more likely to be something I'm interested in.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I don't have problems with the suggestions either...as long as the numbers are within reason. But the last 48 hours have been WAY different than the occasional suggestion. The numbers went into the stratosphere. I can handle 8 or 10 in the day...but 136 since yesterday late morning meant almost half of my feed for the day.

I checked the "stuff you might like" in my settings and I understand that as being in the emails. (It's in the "by email" section.) I don't mind getting those emails. In the "when I'm on Pinterest" section, I changed the notifications to getting notifications only from the people I follow. Not sure what difference that will make, but I'm giving it a shot.

And I have always had the two buttons turned off that say "Use sites you visit to improve which recommendations and ads you see" and "Use information from our partners to improve which recommendations and ads you see".

I just deleted 12 more "picked for you" out of 18 new posts in my feed. Grrrrr.

BTW, on all posts, by the person's board that came from, there's an "x" box that only appears when you hover over that section. If that post is "picked for you" then you are given the option to report the pin or tell them that you are "not into this pin". If you choose that you are "not into this pin" then you are given several options: I don't like recommendations, I've already seen it, It's not my style, or It's not relevant. I'm telling them that I don't like recommendations most of the time. Maybe they'll quit sending them. Hopefully?
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same thing happen last week. Holy moly, they just kept coming and coming. It has been quiet this week but I had 4 days of literally dozens of them showing up all day long. Every time I went onto pinterest some of them were back or there were lots and lots of new ones.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 09:21 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kazooMIView Post
You could go to your pinterest settings and turn off the "stuff you might like" in notifications. I think that would stop any suggested pins.

Personally I have no issues with the suggested, some I don't like/want, some I pin. I look and scroll down pretty quickly when I do go to that page. I like those as being listed first better than just seeing the most recent pins of the whole world. They are more likely to be something I'm interested in.
I have these settings turn off. I still get picked for you posts. I usually click on I don't like these posts. One time I got so many of these picked for me posted, I clicked on this post offends me, on every single one! Picked for you posts stooped for a long time, they just started up this last week again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #6  

Received 839 Likes on 277 Posts

I don't mind the picked for you pins in general but I do find it interesting that I regularly get "for you" pins that I've already pinned :p

If I'm not interested in a particular for you pin I just ignore it like I do any other pin.

I only have one complaint and that's about a pinner I follow. It seems that at a certain time of day my ENTIRE feed is filled with pins from them. As in, I'll have to scroll past a couple hundred pins to see any from and other people I follow. It's ridiculous.

I can honestly say though that there have been MANY picked for you pins that have led to some fabulous discoveries that I otherwise might have missed so I'm kinda glad to have them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

what makes me roll my eyes is when it shows me my own cards :mrgreen:

if its really stupid I will click the X and tell it I do not want to see it.
( I had a photography ideas board for my niece a few years back that has been married almost a year now) so, it tends to pick a lot of what to do as a new bride baloney for me lately.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 05:00 PM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Proud Fan Club Member

Received 136 Likes on 91 Posts

It has been "annoying" the heck out of me the last couple of days - now I just delete the whole lot, I quickly lose interest when they pull stunts like that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 06:16 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I'm with you, Kia...I've been doing the same. Hide them all and THEN go back and look at what I want to see. I can't wade through all the junk. Too overwhelming.
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Thank you Diane! I didn't know I could get rid of the pins. I'm tired of the ads and as much as I support my daughter's love for her chickens, I don't want to see any pins about them!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 04:01 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

This "picked for you" has been driving me mad over the past month. It is worse on my mobile phone than on my laptop. On my phone, 8 out of 10 pins are "picked for you" and I tried changing the settings but it didn't make any difference. On my laptop, it is about 50% of the pins. It is so irritating!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 04:25 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Agreed! When I go to Pinterest, I tend to spend more time than I should already - I don't need them cutting into my time by making me wade through that many more "picked for me" that were clearly picked for me by someone who doesn't know much about me. LOL!

But, hey, I'd be much more willing to put up with that if they gave me a way to stop the duplicates. Do I need to see the same pin 8-10 times the same day?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #13  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Have gotten hundreds of "picked for you"also. Those I could hide and address why. But In addition I have gotten hundreds from "paper cards" that are similar in style and not what Im interested in but, there is no where to stop or hide them. Anyone know how?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by estampsView Post
Have gotten hundreds of "picked for you"also. Those I could hide and address why. But In addition I have gotten hundreds from "paper cards" that are similar in style and not what Im interested in but, there is no where to stop or hide them. Anyone know how?
Hover your arrow down at the bottom of the pick for you pin. An X will show up. Click on the X some questions will come up, don't like the pin, not interested, and offends me. Click on one.

One time I got really mad and went through all the pick for you pins and clicked on offended me. Pins pretty much stopped!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 03:51 PM   #15  
Kookie Creator

Default Pinterest

Quote:

Originally Posted by lesliespringerView Post
Hover your arrow down at the bottom of the pick for you pin. An X will show up. Click on the X some questions will come up, don't like the pin, not interested, and offends me. Click on one.

One time I got really mad and went through all the pick for you pins and clicked on offended me. Pins pretty much stopped!!

I did that for all picked for you. For others
No x that is the problem. I just shut off cards totally or i guess the phrase is unfollow as someone posted hundreds of what some people think are funny or cutsy. If I could I would tell them it is not my style.

Sorry I will miss the stuff that is my style, but hundreds of fat cartoon women turn me off.

Thanks for helpful advice. Hope this trend settles soon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 05:29 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm always slow to adopt new technology. I'm willing to let other people test it out and see how it works (or doesn't) before I jump on the bandwagon. When I first discovered Pinterest, I was very interested in the concept and thought it would be useful. I was still working then and didn't feel like I had the time as it seemed like it could be a real time hog. Since I've retired, I have been considering joining Pinterest and Facebook. After reading this thread, I think I'm going to wait a while and reconsider. Still on the fence about Facebook. I would be more willing to sign up for a number of things if I felt I could later unsubscribe and my data would all be deleted forever. But I truly believe that once you've signed up for most things, the company keeps your info forever, and it will follow you around for life. Yep, call me paranoid. I do. LOL
Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 09:09 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed my entire feed has been different for about 2 months. And I get a lot of "buy-able " pins. I only check it once a week now. Used to check it 3 times daily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-10-2016, 11:07 PM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation

I have a board on Pinterest called 'Anything Snowman' and I pin cards with Snowmen on them, snowmen stamp sets, any craft where you make a snowman eg: needle felting, knitting, crochet - which might include a snowman scarf - also snowglobes. And I must admit that I laughed out loud when I saw a 'Picked for you' for my Snowman board: Cooking Oils and the difference between each one - eg: olive oil, peanut oil, canola etc. etc.

Yep, really relevant if I was going to maybe COOK a snowman! Oh the horror! :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 03:37 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Ok, I think I got some control. Sat night I started selecting the "I don't want to see recommended pins relating to my history" or "I don't want to see recommended pins for my ___ board". Still seeing them yesterday, but this morning?

NO PICKED FOR YOU PINS!!!!

Maybe they got the message!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 05:43 AM   #20  
Crimping Master

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts

I have had the exact same frustrations with my account. The picked for you madness has happened a few times, usually over a weekend. I have sent some not-so-nice feedback and usually (thankfully) that gets the madness to stop.... for awhile.

I signed up for email notifications for people who pinned my pin or started following my boards. At one point you could click the link and see the board where the person had pinned your pin. I found that really provided some interesting things to view. Now they have changed that feature and the link sends you to all of their boards. I sent feedback asking if this was a permanent change and was told they didn't know, but that they had received a lot of feedback on the change. Now I just dump all of that email because I don't want to see every one of the person's boards, nor do I wish to search for the board where they pinned my pin.

Honestly I think Pinterest wants to make constant changes and really doesn't listen to their users. I have found now that the only time I go to Pinterest is to search for something specific. I didn't think it was possible to annoy me so much that I didn't want to use the site, but truthfully that is exactly what has happened. I guess I should thank them because I have more time to do other things now!

Perhaps if everyone here would send feedback Pinterest would get the message.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 06:21 AM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Dea you are not paranoid-at least about Facebook. Anything you put on there IS theirs and they will keep it after you close an account.

Despite this having been discussed again and again, we see people (esp teens and 20s) posting very compromising pics...people cant seem to get it in their heads employers will google you/ck social media and see all that stuff when you are applying for jobs and once it's out there, it's out there forever unless you want to pay someone to bury it for you. Will still be there but wont pop up on a first search.

Plus facebook is the one who imho betrayed his members by making that decision to suddenly open up info that people had marked private before just b/c HE felt the world should know those things about everyone and was willing to share it about himself.

I am sorry to hear this about Pinterest. I go rarely. So I dont even notice what's in my feed...maybe it's up to 1,000s!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-11-2016, 08:30 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I too don't mind occasional recommendations, sometimes they are useful. But when they are showing me my own blog posts, I draw the line!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Now Im getting about 2-5 new posts a week. Use to get about a dozen a day. Then that bombardment. Feast or famine is the game I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 02:54 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Dea you are not paranoid-at least about Facebook. Anything you put on there IS theirs and they will keep it after you close an account.

Despite this having been discussed again and again, we see people (esp teens and 20s) posting very compromising pics...people cant seem to get it in their heads employers will google you/ck social media and see all that stuff when you are applying for jobs and once it's out there, it's out there forever unless you want to pay someone to bury it for you. Will still be there but wont pop up on a first search.

Plus facebook is the one who imho betrayed his members by making that decision to suddenly open up info that people had marked private before just b/c HE felt the world should know those things about everyone and was willing to share it about himself.

I am sorry to hear this about Pinterest. I go rarely. So I dont even notice what's in my feed...maybe it's up to 1,000s!
I have no notions about privacy of any kind on the internet. I only post comments, pictures that I don't mind the whole world seeing.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes