Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-16-2016, 01:47 PM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pain in my right hand from the Big Shot

Ok, I need to find out if I am the only one in pain after too much Big Shot use. I really made a ton of leaves during the holidays and now the bone(?) in the palm of my right hand is really sore! Its right at the bottom of my thumb. I have attempted to use my left hand to give it a little rest. My friend said it is probably a tendon. I have thought about an electronic Big Shot, if such a thing exists. Anyone with this problem? It seems like I am losing some strength in the thumb also. I am not quite 60 so I don't want to think it's age related! I can't stop making cards, I just love it! Anyone with any ideas?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 02:11 PM   #2  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

There is an electric big shot. I have hand pain too, but I hope I never have to give up my big shot! I can't open jars anymore. I can't grasp the bottom of the jar. So DH and I work together. He holds the bottom and I use the opener to twist off the lid!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Gee I'm sorry to hear that. Is it possible to get carpel tunnel from a Big shot? I dont know. (or if it's even that) Sounds to me you might want to talk to an orthopedic; since it isnt better by now. Been what? 6 weeks now? Might be nothing-just needs rest, but better to know.

Yes, there are electronic cutting machines. A number of them. This will be a little bit of a research project for you to decide which one will be best for you. You can search here for them to see discussions about them, and go to the sites and watch vids...and then wait on a sale-they are not cheap but people do seem to love them. I am no help-I still use a Big shot.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 03:06 PM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 659 Likes on 415 Posts

when I use my big shot I tend to rotate it one direction with one hand and then on the back pass I use the other hand to crank the handle... so, I am wondering if it does turn out to be a tendon issue if you can crank the handle with your other hand? (give your self a chance to heal)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 04:48 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you keeping the big shot in one place?? Rest that hand, re-position your big shot. I have Carpel Tunnel. It's crazy. Just remember to transfer the work you are doing to another side, height, direction. That is what I do...and I don't suffer when I MUST make cards, or other things. It does take a bit to get used to, but becomes habit quickly.

CT is no respecter of age, it is universally contemptuous.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Ask your friends to recommend an honest Chiropractor. You may actually have a pinch in your neck from repeated hand motions, and especially if you are losing feeling! Don't wait to get it treated. All the best to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Sorry about your hand pain. I had a lot of trouble opening things until I tried using a piece of that rubberized shelf lining you can buy at the dollar store.

My DH has lost a lot of strength in his hands and felt so bad that he couldn't help me open jars, etc. Now he just gets that piece of "stuff" and pops open those stubborn jars for me.:mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 08:14 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry you are having issues..! I hope it heals soon because we must make cards..it is what we love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2016, 08:37 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had pain in that joint - it's called the basal joint and it's at the base of your thumb. For me, I lost strength and, over time, had constant pain. The good news is I had the joint surgically repaired and my hand is awesome now! Mine was from osteoarthritis. Not saying that is what you have but it sounds similar -- and I was in my early 50's
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 04:51 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 52 Likes on 21 Posts

I have one of the original electric BigShots Express and wouldn't be able to create without it. Sizziz has just come out with a new version of it,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 05:22 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Drats! Hand pain is just not okay for stampers/crafters, or anyone else for that matter, so I feel for you indeed. Aside from medical exams to help determine the cause of the pain, I had to go do a quick online check to see about a possible assist in your case.

At Sizzix dot com I clicked on Products > Machines ... They've got quite a line up and it includes 2 electric options:
  1. Big Shot Express - This one looks more like a Big Shot "without" the crank.
  2. Vagabond 2 - This is the suitcase style you see in promotions from Tim Holtz.
I've had the opportunity to use the Vagabond, and it certainly does the trick with a simple push on buttons. It uses the same plates & specialty plates that are available for regular Big Shots, so the only difference is that it's "got the power". ;)

Hope you get this pain resolved. Crafting is for bringing joy ... not pain & cranky days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 01:56 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I just want to say thank you to everyone who gave me input. I really don't want to go the surgery way and looked up the Big Shot Express on Sizzix website. I think I might treat myself when tax refund comes. My husband gave me money at Christmas to buy a new Big shot and I am so glad I waited. I was going to get two free SAB items. Now I have a $110 towards the electric one. Looked it up on you tube and I think that will solve my problem. I just love splitcoast! So many nice, sweet, helpful people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
Sorry about your hand pain. I had a lot of trouble opening things until I tried using a piece of that rubberized shelf lining you can buy at the dollar store.

My DH has lost a lot of strength in his hands and felt so bad that he couldn't help me open jars, etc. Now he just gets that piece of "stuff" and pops open those stubborn jars for me.:mrgreen:
Wanted to post about this wonderful gadget for opening jars - even better than the rubber liner. I could not open many jars, and even sometimes bottles of juice. My hubby is older than me and couldn't help. This thing is amazing and has changed my life in the kitchen.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Jar-Opener/dp/B002DWA6KM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1455751800&sr=8-1&keywords=jar+openers+for+seniors

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the link, Bugga. Next time I order from Amazon I'll get it. We need all the help we can get!

Don't want to spend a lot of time trying to open things when making cards is so much more important...and fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2016, 07:04 PM   #15  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
Thanks for the link, Bugga. Next time I order from Amazon I'll get it. We need all the help we can get!

Don't want to spend a lot of time trying to open things when making cards is so much more important...and fun!
It really is handy. It works on all sizes of lids, even small ones on big soda bottles, which I sometimes have trouble with.

Just an extra little tip I've discovered when opening those lids that are vacuum sealed, like pickle jars. If you use something to gently pry the lid and let the vacuum "pop", it makes it much easier to open.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 03:36 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I created a very similar type of pain a year or two ago- and it wasn't from a repeated use thing either- just one single use of a pair of secateurs! I was told it's often known as 'trigger finger/thumb',it got so bad I was totally unable to bend my thumb at all, and it was constantly painful. My GP told me to massage in Ibuprofen gel two or three times a day. A couple of weeks of that and it was cured- and I've never had a problem since.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 09:34 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I created a very similar type of pain a year or two ago- and it wasn't from a repeated use thing either- just one single use of a pair of secateurs! I was told it's often known as 'trigger finger/thumb',it got so bad I was totally unable to bend my thumb at all, and it was constantly painful. My GP told me to massage in Ibuprofen gel two or three times a day. A couple of weeks of that and it was cured- and I've never had a problem since.
I had a similar problem with my right thumb several years ago. It was stiff and very painful when I tried to use it. I was working in an office and could barely hold a pencil or pen for a couple of months. I just tried not to use the thumb, and took ibuprofen. About the time I decided it might be something serious - it went away! And it hasn't come back. I never did know what I did to injure the thumb.

I crochet quite a bit, as well as make cards, and I try to be mindful of "overdoing" it, taking breaks from a marathon session when I'm trying to finish a project.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 09:42 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks shazsilverwolf and bugga for more ideas! I think a trip to walgreens is in my future! Hey, this is totally off subject but my husband and I are taking a driving trip in May from California to Tennessee and going through Oklahoma City, any fun things to do there? Heading to Texas to visit daughter and family also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My Big Shot Express is on its way to me from It's Cheaper than Therapy. I've been waiting for this second version to come out. I got $ for xmas for the machine and finally was able to order one this week.

The Vagabond is also in its second version. The two work the same, but the Vagabond folds up and I think is less $.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 10:26 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Renee, have you ordered from It's Cheaper Than Therapy before? Looks to be a little cheaper than through Sizzix directly. Let me know how the customer service is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2016, 10:52 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ttembyView Post
Renee, have you ordered from It's Cheaper Than Therapy before? Looks to be a little cheaper than through Sizzix directly. Let me know how the customer service is.
So far it's been fine... I got the email that the new BS express was in and ready to ship, ordered on the 15th, and it was shipped on the 17th. Shipping was free and tracking says it should arrive on the 22nd.

I'm hoping I won't have any issues with it and that this will be all the customer service I'll need ;)
Reply With Quote Likes