Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Our Daily Bread Designs Customer Disservice

Customer Disservice: Because we're not happy until you're not happy!I've been putting off posting this for weeks because I don't want to unjustly slander or hurt a company's business. At this point, though, I think the company's (in)actions speak for themselves and I can at least try to spare someone else the financial loss and hassle I experienced.
On January 6 I submitted this complaint to the Better Business Bureau (BBB.org) of Akron, OH:
On December 1 2016 I received 2 sets of cutting dies which I had ordered from ourdailybreaddesigns.com. I opened and tried the more intricate set and I was unable to cut out any of the dies in the set. Even wax paper, which is often used between a die and paper to make the cutting smoother, could not be cut. I immediately contacted the company about the malfunctioning dies and asked how I can get refunded for my purchase. I emailed photos of all the partially cut papers I had. After a lot of back and forth, a total of 7 emails!, they finally agreed to refund me for my purchase if i would mail them back for testing. About 2 weeks after I returned the dies I had to email them to ask if they received it and when I could expect to be refunded. They said they had received it, the dies were working fine and they gave me a credit code. I asked for photos and details about how the dies worked. As of 12/21 I have still not received a reply from them. I think I deserve a full refund because in my experience the dies were completely unusable. The rest of their products dont appeal to me and based on their dismal customer service I don't want to try to order from them again, nor do I want to subject someone else to their awful service. I appreciate your helping in resolving this matter. Thank you!
Neither I nor the BBB have gotten any response from ODBD. At this point I don't expect one, and I don't think I'll ever again see the nearly-$30 I gave to the company. I've learned a costly lesson about ODBD, and I hope shairing my story will help someone else learn this lesson the easier way.

(Sorry about the poor image quality!)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How did you pay for it? If you used paypal or a credit card you can start a dispute with them.
Matboard Maniac

they don't have paypal so i used my bank card
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 846 Likes on 279 Posts

were you using a Bigshot? Some BigShots are losser than others and sometimes any given manufacturer's dies might not cut cleanly all the way through. Sometimes some sort of a shim may be required to make a clean cut. I have dozens upon dozens of dies and some cut without a shim and some don't.

I would contact ODBD again by telephone if possible, and let them know that you'd prefer a full refund rather than a store credit. If they won't give you a "cash" refund then see if maybe you have a friend that likes any of their stuff and would be willing to buy your store credit.

Until now, I've never heard anything bad about ODBD. I hope you can get it resolved to your satisfaction.
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to tippy-toe around bad business practices. "Slander" is a deliberate lie told to damage a reputation. When you tell the truth about bad service, that is not slander. Mail order businesses are required by law to refund your money for faulty items, and their word that the item works perfectly carries no weight, for obvious reasons. This company attracts business through overt Christian reference, making their reaction to you especially obnoxious. I would want to beat them over the head with the second Commandment.
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our Daily Bread Designs has been in business for almost 9 years and we have never had anybody file a report on us the Better Business Bureau. We are a reputable, Christian company that runs on fair and honest business practices.

We have our Return Policy clearly stated on our website. Opened items that are not defective may be returned for a store code to be used on a future purchase. Only if the items are defective and the customer wants a refund do we then issue a refund which is fairly standard practice.

We notified this customer of our policy before she returned the dies to us. Through several emails we tried to gather information as to what machine she was using, etc, to help her with the dies. She told us that she was cutting out origami paper and we offered numerous tips to help her. Her photos are quite blurry but I believe she was trying to die from some type of glossy chipboard, which would be more difficult to cut with and would require additional shimming.

When the dies were returned to us we did test them on 80 and 100 pound cardstock and they did cut out perfectly fine. I sent her a store code and she was not happy with it, staying that she was Jewish and that our products all of a sudden made her uncomfortable.

We sell almost 2000 products on the website, including almost 300 dies. We also own 2 other companies, Artistic Outpost and North Coast Creations, that have "non-Christian" stamps, dies and papers. The store code can be used on all these products in the store.

I am adhering to our posted Refund Policy and I am sorry the customer is not happy.

Thank you,
Kelley Holland
Owner of Our Daily Bread Designs, LLC
Matboard Maniac

Just to make it clear: there are many arguments that I can bring up in response to ODBD's post but I choose not to. My silence does not equal my agreement! My goal remains the same as I said in my initial post: to share my story and to try to save someone else from a similar experience
Matboard Maniac

Update: although the bbb told me last week that they had given up on hearing from ODBD and there was nothing more they could do to help, today they contacted me to let me know that ODBD just left a message for me. im working on feeling grateful for their efforts at communication!
Pearl-ExPert

I travel as part of our business and I had not received the BBB complaint until my employee forwarded our mail that I received on Saturday.
Hardware Hotshot

Received 312 Likes on 223 Posts

I've been a longtime customer of ODBD and never have had any issues. I've always been very happy with all of their products.
nothing is hidden that will not become evident, nor anything secret that will not be known and come to light. Luke 8:17
~Sara~
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Default ODBD dies

I've been on the design team for seven years, long before they started manufacturing dies.
Let me say, being a designer, I use these dies far more than the average crafter since I have to make samples before releases (plus for my own personal use)!
I have used, thus far, 3 different machines to die cut and have NEVER had a problem with the dies.
From your pictures it looks like you might be trying to cut through a thin box, which ANY die (especially intricate) is going to have trouble without proper shims etc.
Insane Embellisher

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by DawnLView Post
I've been on the design team for seven years, long before they started manufacturing dies.
Let me say, being a designer, I use these dies far more than the average crafter since I have to make samples before releases (plus for my own personal use)!
I have used, thus far, 3 different machines to die cut and have NEVER had a problem with the dies.
From your pictures it looks like you might be trying to cut through a thin box, which ANY die (especially intricate) is going to have trouble without proper shims etc.
But couldn't there be problems with particular, individual dies not necessarily a problem with the whole manufacturing process?
Watercolor Wizard

Received 187 Likes on 89 Posts

This is somewhat off topic, but......
I have often read on SCS about Our Daily Bread. I am Jewish, and always assumed it offered Christian based items, so I never looked.
As a result of this thread, I just clicked on a link for the first time, and see things I like. It's actually much less religious than I expected.
Just an observation.
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

What kind of paper were you trying to die cut?
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

creativechbdcrafts, you didn't mention trying different "sandwiches," shimming, or other adjustments. Sometimes different sandwiches need to be tried before finding the cutting sweet spot. It's a combination of the die, the machine, the plates, and the paper thickness, not a one-size-fits-all.

You might need an extra piece of cardstock as a shim, or an extra piece on one part of the die, depending on plate condition. If a plate is curved and the die is facing down onto it, you might need to flip the die upside down so it's cutting against a straighter plate. You might need a thin metal plate or a rubber mat.

Sometimes one part of a plate doesn't give good cuts but another does. (It's a good idea to put dies on different parts of a plate, not to always center them.) And some papers just don't work if they're too thick.

You had said, "Even wax paper, which is often used ... to make the cutting smoother, could not be cut." Wax paper is used by some people to more easily remove the die cut paper and bits from the die, not necessarily to help the die cut more smoothly.

I sympathize with your frustration, but also wanted to bring up other possibilities in fairness to the store.

Last edited by bjeans; 02-09-2017 at 03:47 AM..
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Just one last thought. This past December you had posted to a multi-page 2013-2015 thread concerning complaints about another company's dies, that you wondered how companies could get away with selling poor quality dies, and that you could tell just by looking at that other company's dies even before using them that they would not work.

In fairness to you, the thread was about problems with those dies, but others posted they liked (or loved) them, and never had problems, or explained how they made them work.

I think that illustrates how die cutting isn't always as straight forward as we'd like.

Last edited by bjeans; 02-09-2017 at 04:30 AM..
Hardware Hotshot

Heart my opinion

Keeping in mind that everyone is intitled to their opinion and use the opportunity to express their right to Freedom of Speech I will invoke mine as well. I have several products from ODBD. I have never had an issue or poor customer service. I will continue to desire ODBD products and purchase them in the future. God Bless ODBD for continued prosperity.

Valerie

Quote:

Originally Posted by Our Daily Bread DesignsView Post
Our Daily Bread Designs has been in business for almost 9 years and we have never had anybody file a report on us the Better Business Bureau. We are a reputable, Christian company that runs on fair and honest business practices.

We have our Return Policy clearly stated on our website. Opened items that are not defective may be returned for a store code to be used on a future purchase. Only if the items are defective and the customer wants a refund do we then issue a refund which is fairly standard practice.

We notified this customer of our policy before she returned the dies to us. Through several emails we tried to gather information as to what machine she was using, etc, to help her with the dies. She told us that she was cutting out origami paper and we offered numerous tips to help her. Her photos are quite blurry but I believe she was trying to die from some type of glossy chipboard, which would be more difficult to cut with and would require additional shimming.

When the dies were returned to us we did test them on 80 and 100 pound cardstock and they did cut out perfectly fine. I sent her a store code and she was not happy with it, staying that she was Jewish and that our products all of a sudden made her uncomfortable.

We sell almost 2000 products on the website, including almost 300 dies. We also own 2 other companies, Artistic Outpost and North Coast Creations, that have "non-Christian" stamps, dies and papers. The store code can be used on all these products in the store.

I am adhering to our posted Refund Policy and I am sorry the customer is not happy.

Thank you,
Kelley Holland
Owner of Our Daily Bread Designs, LLC
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Good morning....

There is valuable information in this post. Some very helpful tips have been shared from the community, and both parties subject of the original post have had an opportunity to respond to the original concern. I'm going to lock the thread to further discussion.

There are many valuable threads on die-cutting in the Tool & Product Talk forum - most of them split out by specific machine manufacturer that can be useful for trouble-shooting or tips to help with different cut-able material!

Hope everyone has a stamp-filled Thursday!

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team