Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-12-2012, 09:30 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heart Not enough info...

Hey:

I'm trying to make a card I saw on SCS Gallery...but there's not enough info...anywhere???

Where am I supposed to find it???

Thanks,
~Lee Uhrig
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

I would send a PM to the creator of the card to ask my specific questions. ;)
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:07 AM   #3  
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

I've moved your thread into the General Stamping forum for more looks. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Or you could post a link and see if anyone else knows how it was done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I'm noticing more often than not that people that upload their pictures of their cards are asking you to go to their blogs for more information. I don't like to blog hop, in case of computer virus', so I appreciate when everyone lists their info when they upload their cards. I don't think that is too much to ask. I thought that was a rule on here? Or am I mistaken?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 01:21 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen99View Post
I'm noticing more often than not that people that upload their pictures of their cards are asking you to go to their blogs for more information. I don't like to blog hop, in case of computer virus', so I appreciate when everyone lists their info when they upload their cards. I don't think that is too much to ask. I thought that was a rule on here? Or am I mistaken?

No, not a rule, just a friendly suggestion.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 02:33 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I second posting a link...maybe someone else can help you? I also don't do the whole "go to my blog for more info" but not because of a virus; I just look at it as a "pitch" and I'm not into that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

Basically, ideally, I would know what measurements to cut the cardstock & DSP. You know, exact specifications. From the Blogs I've seen, they don't give out any of this info...which is a shame!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #9  

I know that I post links to my blog but I do try and list what I used on the card here. I link to my blog because I take tons of pictures for my project and will spend at least 30 minutes preparing the blog post, pictures, directions, helpful tips. There isn't simply enought room here to do that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by binkiemonstermomView Post
I know that I post links to my blog but I do try and list what I used on the card here. I link to my blog because I take tons of pictures for my project and will spend at least 30 minutes preparing the blog post, pictures, directions, helpful tips. There isn't simply enought room here to do that.
Ditto.

As for measurements, if you figure the card is a standard 4 1/4 x 5 1/2, I can generally figure out a rough estimate of the measurement. Even holding a ruler up to the screen and measuring the total card size and then the size of the element, you can get a conversion and get close enough. Now if it's a more intricate measurement, you can always PM the creator here, e-mail them through their blog, or post your question to their blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #11  
Embossing Fanatic

With all due respect...wouldn't Instructions or Directions INCLUDE measurements of cardstock? I would think that NAME of colors and MEASUREMENTS of card stock and DSP used would be the most important things to list, am I being presumptious???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 04:32 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Geez, all I'm asking is for some pretty basic measurements for card stock & DSP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #13  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think sometimes it just depends on the person who did the card. There are tutorials that I have seen where they are VERY descriptive and then others, not so much. I do know that any time I have ever had a problem or question, lots of folks on SCS came to my rescue!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

I list a lot on my cards but never measurements. If I have to go into that much description it's to much trouble. I have always assumed you can figure out the measurements pretty easy by guesstamating. Infact I have never seen measurements given. Besides people don't want us copying their cards exactly. I don't have a blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #15  
neglecting the kids and housework

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUhrigView Post
With all due respect...wouldn't Instructions or Directions INCLUDE measurements of cardstock? I would think that NAME of colors and MEASUREMENTS of card stock and DSP used would be the most important things to list, am I being presumptious???
I'm gonna venture that lots of people that post regularly hold classes, workshops and such. I doubt they'd want to simply type out their step by step card process when they spend so much time prepping these cards for classes or sale.

As far as getting exact answers unless the card is very different or a specific special fold I think you might be out of luck getting specifics.

If you could link to the card you're curious about maybe one of us have made something similar.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

Lee,
I make 2 sizes of cards for the most part. One is 5 1/2 X 5 1/2 (5 1/2 X 11 cardstock)and the other is 5 1/2 X 4 1/4 (5 1/2 X 8 1/2 cardstock). Those are pretty standard I think. Looking at the picture of the card will tell you if it's a rectangle or square, so I would first choose one of the card bases. I like the layers to be tight and neat so I usually cut the DSP 1/4 " smaller than the base. I've never seen measurements actually posted but these 2 sizes will also fit standard envelopes as well. As Victoria said, if the card is a special shape or fold, they usually do give specifics. Good Luck.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

If I am posting a project, it's usually only to show it off as my latest creation, not to give step by step details that teach other people how to exactly recreate it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2012, 10:10 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Unless it's part of a tutorial, I haven't seen specific measurements either online or in print publications. I'm sure if you ask the person posting the card nicely, they'd help you out with measurements.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 12:45 AM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I rarely know what measurements I used. I just make them fit the card/image etc. and go from there. I could guess, I suppose, but frankly, I have cards I haven't uploaded because I don't have the time to type out the basics of what stamp/paper I used. I can't imagine what I'd do if I was expected to give every amount and dimension too.

I am one who really appreciates at least the stamp and any specific die etc. being in the recipe. I almost never click on blogs. But I share for the fun of sharing. I'm not a teacher, I don't offer tutorials, and I don't know what I'm doing half the time.

I think if the expectation became to turn every upload (I make a LOT of cards) into a tutorial, I'd have to stop uploading at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 04:33 AM   #20  

I will say I just did a case of an Angry birds card on my blog. I talked about how measurements don't have to be exact. With my blog, I try and show my projects and give detail but I also try to empower other crafters to just try. Measurements don't have to be exact, sometimes, I don't even measure anything on my card!!! And on my blog, I point that out. For example, on my Angry Birds card, I pointed out that I used a one inch circle punch, BUT if you had a 11/4" that would work too.....Use what you have!!!! Sizes can be adjusted and I guess that is my point. If I did a 5X7 card, you normally can shrink it down to a 41/2X51/2 card if that is what you want to use!
I don't do it to be sharky but to try to encourage, I find crafting relaxing which means no stress, and sometimes measurements are to strict. I try to tell people not to fret, and have fun with it!!! If you don't have a color, generally, you can use something else instead!!! Not only does this let people get creative on their own, but it saves them money!! To do a project I made, you don't have to run out and go get a 1 inche circle punch if you don't have one!!! Hope this makes sense, and explains a little the way my mind works!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 05:18 AM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

May I quietly say... I never measure cardstock... except the base sheet, and I list the finish card size... so to me that means eyeball it yourself. If it became a rule to list the cut sized of paper on each card I would never upload a single thing again. that is entirely too time consuming in my head its bad enough to grab a sheet of paper and try to jot down the color names and brands.(esp. if I pull something out of the scrap bin and it does not have the mfg. on the back of printed paper which happens a lot, I've also done this more then 1 dozen years so I have tons of paper that is from companies not even making it anymore) to me I think you should just go play with what you have, if the colors look good. so be it. have fun.

this post has my stomach in a knot reading it.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 05:21 AM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gee, I never thought about this issue in this way. I also really appreciate when folks are very specific in filling out the various fields when they upload a card and have always wished everyone would do it, but it's not so I can CASE, that's never been my reason. It's because I might really love something they used and want to buy it myself! So I try to be very specific when I do my uploads, and that's the reason. I know it's sometimes a fair bit of work to do it, and some are very busy and can't, but I am lucky enough to have the time.

I've never thought of putting in my measurements, though. And I've never looked for them, either. Even if I do decide to CASE something, I'll figure those out or something close to them. And with all due respect, I think I'd lose my mind if I had to add those to my uploads. There isn't even a field for them, you'd have to use the description area.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 10-13-2012 at 05:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 05:33 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

When you are using another card for inspiration general you are not worried about exact measurements. I do like to have the color names because it may be a color I don't have and really would like to get but as long as I have the shapes I can general do my own measurements and get close.

Cards are usually only done in maybe 3 sizes: 4-1/4 x 5-1/2, 5x7, and roughly 6 x 9-1/2, and square 5-1/2 x 5-1/2 or 6x6. You should be able to look at the card and determine the size of it and then you just cut your layers to fit on which size you are doing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 05:50 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

I too, just measure my card base, and from there, I just eyeball it. I "wing it", so to speak. I just take my pencil, and measure my layers that way, and then just cut on my pencil marks to make my layers. If I have my stamped image, I stamp it on my paper, then cut it to fit. I don't do exact measurements. I never have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 05:52 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

When I share a card in the Gallery, I share for the sake of sharing. I include the stamps I used, the company that made them, and any special cardstock or embellishments that I used. If I remember the ink colors, I include those too. That's pretty much it. I don't have time to give specific measurements, and I don't think that's necessary in a Gallery post. I appreciate when people share their creations, no matter how much or how little information they include.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 06:13 AM   #26  
Duchess of CBCs

I do try to post stamp names and die names when I post. But honestly, sometimes I just don't remember the exact name from one day to the next. If I post something that I made last week, I might remember that the DP was made by Echo Park, or Cosmo Cricket, but I might not remember the exact paper pad name. If it's something from my scrap pile, I'm really not going to know exactly.

When I used to teach classes, I would put all the info, including measurements, but when I'm just making a card for the sake of making a card, I'm not thinking about all the details.

Frankly, if I had to think about all that info prior to posting a card on here, I probably wouldn't post. I use SCS for ideas and if there are specific tutorials that is awesome! But I don't expect exact specifications for the projects. Just my .02 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Besides making the base card 4.25 x 5.5", I never measure the layers on my cards either. I eyeball everything. Or I make a mark, and go from there. Same with home improvement projects - no measuring; only eyeballing. Sometimes I'll use a scrap piece of paper and tear it down (or crease it) to a size I like, and use that as a measurement (for home improvement projects). I'm waaaaaaay too lazy to do measurements. Same with sewing - altering hems and shortening curtains. No measuring even then.

If I know a card doesn't have to go in an envelope, then I don't even measure the base card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 11:36 AM   #28  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I don't think I've ever seen card measurements outside of detailed tutorials for cards that require a lot of math because of funky folds, etc. Just wing it and have fun - it's art.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Elizabeth, why don't you go ahead and post a link to the card... I know someone here will figure out the measurements for you...
(and I am curious to see what the card looks like!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
May I quietly say... I never measure cardstock... except the base sheet, and I list the finish card size... so to me that means eyeball it yourself. If it became a rule to list the cut sized of paper on each card I would never upload a single thing again. that is entirely too time consuming in my head its bad enough to grab a sheet of paper and try to jot down the color names and brands.(esp. if I pull something out of the scrap bin and it does not have the mfg. on the back of printed paper which happens a lot, I've also done this more then 1 dozen years so I have tons of paper that is from companies not even making it anymore) to me I think you should just go play with what you have, if the colors look good. so be it. have fun.

I never measure them either - so I would never list exact measurements because that would be a complete pain to me (more chore than fun).
I buy stacks of envelopes and just make my card bases to fit those.

And I also have a blog and sometimes just say, "look at my blog for more info" because I will often have multiple shots of a project. I also link products to manufacturer sites - something that can't really be done the way I want in the gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 12:25 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am curious to see the card as well! Sophie is right - surely amongst all the experienced folks here (not that I count myself as one of them...) the card can be deconstructed for you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 03:53 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I would have to chime in and say that I never measure my card layers other than the base which is 4.25x5.5. And because I do not do tutorial when I post I see no reason to figure out all the measurements on the layers. I just post for the fun of it.

I guess because I took at least two years of card making classes (SU) before I even heard of SCS I just post my creations for fun and forget that not everyone can/will just "eyeball" the layers and make up their own creative interpretation of a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #33  
Chat Box Chicks Good Girl

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderstandBlueView Post
I don't think I've ever seen card measurements outside of detailed tutorials for cards that require a lot of math because of funky folds, etc. Just wing it and have fun - it's art.
I need a like button (seriously!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #34  

Honestly while I do measure my card stock it's a lot of trial and error when I'm stamping. For images I usually measure the block that the stamp is on and cut my paper to match that. And honestly, once I'm done with a card I could not tell you the measurements. It would ZAP all the fun out if I had to keep track of all of that information. I stamp for fun not a math project:-) Seriously, I'm guessing that's why most people don't include measurements regularly (aside from funky folds and what not). We are too busy creating to measure and remember (as if I could remember every measurement on a card) or write it down. For me, stamping is trial and error! And sometimes more error than trial, lol!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:01 AM   #35  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
Honestly while I do measure my card stock it's a lot of trial and error when I'm stamping. For images I usually measure the block that the stamp is on and cut my paper to match that. And honestly, once I'm done with a card I could not tell you the measurements. It would ZAP all the fun out if I had to keep track of all of that information. I stamp for fun not a math project:-) Seriously, I'm guessing that's why most people don't include measurements regularly (aside from funky folds and what not). We are too busy creating to measure and remember (as if I could remember every measurement on a card) or write it down. For me, stamping is trial and error! And sometimes more error than trial, lol!
Minders, same for me.

I rarely remake the same card unless it's something like a holiday where I'm sending the same card to everyone so I don't care about the exact measurements.

I have a tendancy to use scraps so a lot of my designs are based on the scrap size.

As for instructions, I tend to explain the technique more than the size. But I have to say that I haven't been posting as much because I just don't have the time and I feel guilty posting a card with nothing about how I made it. Once or twice a year I post some pretty intensive tutorials so that offsets any guilt I have. :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #36  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
For images I usually measure the block that the stamp is on and cut my paper to match that.
Ha! Ditto - every card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2012, 12:10 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

When I am viewing member's cards, I really just appreciate your naming the stamp and company if you can. Also applies to die cuts. As for details, if I like the stamp or die cut, I would probably want to buy it myself if I don't already have it and then adapt the materials I have on hand to the card and do my own thing. I don't really measure anything either. I work with my base size card and then just eyeball the rest. That's what makes it my own one of a kind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #38  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

I measure....am I wierd lol! (don't answer that!)

I have my base and then my mats are normally 1cm/ 2cm bigger then the one on top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 08:19 AM   #39  
Glitter Guru

I only measure when I have to, like the "step" cards. Or when I am prepping for a card club meeting. They like it when the result looks like my sample. The rest of the time, I won't know what size the card's going to be until I am done.

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Nope - no measuring here either. I stamp, cut the paper after stamping, stick it to another layer, trim it down and repeat until I have all the layers I want.
Reply With Quote Likes