Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-17-2012, 05:26 AM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Nestabilities embosssing while cutting - what's wrong?

I posted this on the tool and product forum and no one replied so I thought I'd try it here:

I just got my first set of Nestabilities (large squares) and am using the sandwich recommended for the Big Shot - full platform (all tabs down), clear plate, die and cardstock, clear plate. Every time I run it through, one side of the cardstock gets slightly embossed (the side facing down on the die). What am I doing wrong?

Things seemed to be working better yesterday. I cut some squares and didn't get the embossing.

Postscript - seems to be worse on the bigger dies. I just did some pretty small ones (like I was doing yesterday) and no emboss issue. Also the bigger dies seem tighter in the machine. How could that be? All the dies are the same thickness!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 05:47 AM   #2  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello i think you are meant to cut first then run it back through the bigshot using the embossing mat . Hope this helps xx jo xx
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Yes, that much I know. My problem is that when I am trying to cut only, I get a slight emboss on the underside of the cardstock (where it is next to the Nestability die). I am not using any mats, just the cutting sandwich with cutting plates and platform as per the Big Shot instructions.

Sorry to not have made myself clear about that!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

You're not really doing anything wrong - mine does exactly the same thing. I like the look of it though, so i don't worry about it. Some of the machines are just calibrated a little tighter than others. Try cutting without the first tab on your platform and see what happens. You might lose the embossing effect, but it might be so much that the die won't cut, either. Then you'll need to play with shims a little bit.

It's frustrating, I know. With mine, some embossing folders work best with all tabs down and won't give a clean impression if I open the top one. Other folders only work with the top tab open and if I try using them with all tabs down, they actually tear thru my cardstock. Some days I feel like I'm the one keeping sticky notes in business.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 06:20 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine do the same thing! If I do not want the embossed edge, I open the first tab and shim until it cuts all the way through.

My Brand Spankin' New Blog InkyPalms
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #6  
Glitter Guru

I had thought that maybe that was it. It's odd that it only happens with the bigger squares (I am getting the smaller squares and all the circles, so I will be curious to see what happens with them). It sounds and feels like the larger few squares are tighter in the machine, but how could they be thicker so go figure.

At least I know I'm not doing anything wrong. (Unless someone else weighs in and sets us all straight!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 07:42 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I notice that for me they do almost all emboss slightly in the Big Shot whereas they don't at all in the Wizard. So if there's something I definitely don't want any embossing on, I cut in the Wizard. Since I'm only using the cutting plates and platform with no shims in the Big Shot, it would take more time and effort than it's worth trying to work out a way for it not to emboss them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 08:06 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

It could be that your plates are more worn in the middle, so when you use smaller dies, they are placed where the plates may be thinner.
Just a guess.

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-17-2012, 08:11 AM   #9  
Glitter Guru

I don't think it is possible. I have only had my Big Shot for three or four months and it has not seen all that much use yet! My plates are still in pretty good shape.

But an interesting idea to keep in mind for the future, when the plates do get worn!
Reply With Quote Likes