Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-11-2017, 11:29 AM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Messy stampers: what do you wear when crafting?!

Hello my name is Poppy and I am a messy crafter :-) I have been looking for an artist's smock for many months now, and just can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Let me correct that: I found a handmade linen French artist's smock for about $80 online that I will not be purchasing LOL

I'm looking for something that is gathered at the shoulder, which allows you to wear the smock over clothes. I'd like it to be lightweight, and long sleeved. I have an apron, but it doesn't cover the boobage LOL I bought what I thought was a good smock from Jerry's Artrama but it's cut straight up-and-down for people who have no hips, and it's uncomfortable and heavy. A man's oversize shirt would be the same fit, I think. I've tried a plus-size woman's blouse and that doesn't even work over clothes.

Anyone have any ideas or have found something that works? Tired of getting paint and ink and gesso etc. all over my clothes�
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Old t-shirts and sweats. I do have a couple of large denim shirts but that doesn't stop me from wiping my hands on my sweats. I tried aprons and hated them.

I cycle my comfy clothes from nice, (can be worn in public or for company), then once they are stained or ratty they become "house" (cleaning & stamping) then to gardening and finally to trash. Also, I cut the legs down on my sweats so I have grubby shorts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 12:06 PM   #3  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wear an old ratty cotton nightgown that has 3/4" sleeves. Doesn't seem to matter what I get on it, when washed it seems anything I've gotten on it comes out. Since I'm the only one in the house it works great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 12:38 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Old and dark.

If you're the crafty DIY sort, there are some cute ideas on pinterest that take a man's old shirt and turn it into an apron ... and Goodwill is a great place for finding things that are looking for a second life.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 12:51 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

Here are some: Artist Smock - Ceil Blue

https://www.apronsandsmocks.com/smoc...alized%20smock

Maybe Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/artist-smocks...rtist%20smocks

SAlon Big Shirt: Salonwear - Salon Apparel, Salon Cape, Spa Uniforms, Cutting Capes, Salon Capes, and more! - We've got you covered!

If you (or someone who loves you) sews there are patterns available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 01:07 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

I usually wear black ink, sometimes another deep colour ;)

That seems to be proportionate to how light my clothing is at the time... to be honest, I have never thought of 'craft wear'. If I feel like making a card, I go make one in whatever I have on at the time. I do qualify that by stating that I sometimes look to see if my pants are as dark as my ink before swiping my fingers down my leg! I have a cushion on my chair that is somewhat stained from said inky fingers if I decide not to use my leg haha.

I agree that a thrift store or goodwill would be a great place to find a good cover up. Something to consider!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi, Poppy. My name is Linda and I wear as little as possible, usually pj's. I'm not a very messy crafter, but then I don't work in all the mixed media that you use.

The salon cape Vic referred to sounds perfect! If you're cold-natured, mens' coveralls. A rain gaucho? A tarp with a hole for your head to fit through? A hospital gown!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncbballfanView Post
Hi, Poppy. My name is Linda and I wear as little as possible, usually pj's. I'm not a very messy crafter, but then I don't work in all the mixed media that you use.

The salon cape Vic referred to sounds perfect! If you're cold-natured, mens' coveralls. A rain gaucho? A tarp with a hole for your head to fit through? A hospital gown!!!
Someone I know (ahem) took a big black trash bag and slit a hole for her head, in desperation. It still didn't work :-) now wondering where you find those soft "cotton" hazmat suits�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

Just wear my regular clothes. When I painted the house, I wore the same shirt and shorts - just washed and wore again so I wouldn't get paint on any of my other clothes. When I mow and do the yard work, I usually wear really old clothes and old sneakers.

I guess I'm not that messy when crafting.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 02:28 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I wish! I've been trying to find a seamstress for some home decor items forever and can't find anybody! But those links are fantastic � I searched one of those sites already (Amazon doesn't have much for hippy women) and I didn't see that blue smock, so thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Now, what does someone do for acrobatic SU! ink pads?* A lovely chocolate one decided to do a triple flip today before landing on two pieces of shimmer CS ... sigh ...

* I'm sure other ink pads are equally inclined, but I was trying to close this one and the lid decided to get testy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 02:58 PM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Now, what does someone do for acrobatic SU! ink pads?* A lovely chocolate one decided to do a triple flip today before landing on two pieces of shimmer CS ...
I wish I had the answer to this � those somersaulting ink pads usually end up right on my lap, on yoga pants that I would prefer to still wear outside!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #13  
Linking Queen

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Old, comfy clothes preferably with pockets. Also an older pair of slippers that got accidentally glittered (along with the carpeting in a former craft space).

Instead of a smock, I wear scrubs. If it is an especially chilly day, the pants go on too (over the old clothes). Walmart has a nice variety for not too much money.

Sometimes I think I have more crafting clothes than any other kind.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I just wear my regular clothes. They don't seem to get dirty. Now, my hands are another story. Luckily, I have found that any hand scrub with pumice works very well to clean my hands. I also use the Ranger Craft Scrubbie. Bitly

Oh, I do wear an old hoodie that already has gesso on it from an art journaling class I took a few years ago. Long sleeves do get dirty sometimes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 07:41 PM   #15  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Hey Poppy! Nice to see you

Stamp Happy and I are on the same page. If it's a t-shirt in the end it gets cut up for rags I use to clean stamps etc.

Old clothes or very cheap clothes I find in discount houses. I buy mens big polo shirts for under 10 bucks. ...I wear them to clean, garden, stamp but I do wear short sleeve b/c I would drag that sleeve through ink or something. i tend to live in them b/c I am always cleaning something b/c I cant keep up with it. I am a big girl top and bottom and this works.

I have several cobbler's jackets I can put on over clothes if I just want to do something fast. Like this one which I just grabbed off the net. I dont know this company.

Cobbler Apron | CarolWrightGifts.com
But why do they have to fit over clothes? Why not just change shirts to a scrap one?

Maybe an A line smock would work?

I dont know where this came from or a price but you are excellent at researching.

https://www.google.com/search?q=A+li...LfyirrzzIfZSM:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-11-2017, 09:50 PM   #16  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I have several cobbler's jackets I can put on over clothes if I just want to do something fast. Like this one which I just grabbed off the net. I dont know this company.

Cobbler Apron | CarolWrightGifts.com
But why do they have to fit over clothes? Why not just change shirts to a scrap one?

Maybe an A line smock would work?

I dont know where this came from or a price but you are excellent at researching.

https://www.google.com/search?q=A+li...LfyirrzzIfZSM:
Well, as the cobbler's children are often shoeless (don't you like how I tied into the theme?!) I have used many keywords searching many times and despite the training of my job, still did not find some of the stuff that you all did. I love the hive mind!

Because I often don't have the strength to change clothes, and I prefer to save whatever strength I have for crafting! the garment has to be light and fit over whatever I am wearing�
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 02:55 AM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I also did a smock search months ago and didn't find anything I liked. Well I did, for well over $100. : ) I prefer cotton since poly doesn't breath, and keep meaning to go to a store for big and tall men to see about a large buttoned shirt. Over-the-head is more hassle, and I'd bring it to a classes, so wouldn't want it to be the only thing I'd wear.

BTW, if you like the blue smock shown in the first link, it's also in the second link's website for $6 or $7 less, depending on which size you select. Same photo.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 03:52 AM   #18  
Gallery Gazer

A large, lightweight robe or duster that zips or buttons is another option. Here are some but many stores carry them. Or just a blouse or men's shirt many sizes larger than you wear?

Sears.com

Seersucker Sleepwear - Seersucker Pajamas and Nightgowns
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 06:20 AM   #19  
Gallery Gazer

This Discussion just reminded of me of my late MIL whose potato digging, house painting, wall washing shirt was a zip up 7-11 smock she found at a rummage sale or something! It always made me smile it had the required pockets. She loved her pockets!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 06:35 AM   #20  
Gallery Gazer

Hair salon jackets might do the trick: Plus size stylist salon jackets are sophisticated - Plus Size Collection

Salon Apparel | Boss Beauty Supply - like the jacket or basic coverup unless that one is too small
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2017, 09:57 AM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a secret. Don't tell anyone, okay? Most of my clothes these days are bought at thrift stores! It doesn't matter if I get them inky, stain them, drop food on them, etc.

Since I retired I promised myself I'd get dressed everyday. No staying in jammies all day. So, I have a nice selection of casual things, I need to be comfortable and have clothes for 4 seasons since I live in the Midwest.

I'm even fussy as to what I want to wear, I find a lot of clothes that I used to buy at Kohls, Boston Store, and Macy's.

So I don't need to cover up what I'm wearing when I make cards. I do drop ink pads, drag my sleeves in glue, get glitter glue on my fingers and wipe them on my pants. No matter. Just toss it out and go get more "new to me" outfits.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 04:27 AM   #22  
Compulsive Stamper

I have two old sweat shirts that I wear. I took pinking shear and cut up the front on these so they are like a cardigan. I wipe my hands on them, clean my stamps on the front. They are easy to put and take off when I get hot. I also have a cross over apron I found online at World Market that is light weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 05:53 AM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Received 279 Likes on 79 Posts

I have a couple of cut up sweatshirts. I can't stand crewnecks so I cut off the collar ribbing and make them into V necks and wear old sweatpants in the cooler months only around the house. During the warmer months I wear short colorful caftan tops and old leggings. If I need to run a quick errand I still look cute since the inky mess blends into the top.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 06:13 AM   #24  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I usually wear my everyday wear, a pair of black exercise pants & a black T-shirt. I keep myself limited so I don't have to fuss about, "What to wear?" I have found though, that when I work with glue, I wipe it on my pants. ICK! It doesn't wash out. :( But, I told my hubby recently I need some new everyday wear..... LOL But, I have a top that I've saved since our kids were little for a smock, it's a MATERNITY TOP. I haven't pulled it out yet! IT'S SO PRETTY! It's white, & full from the shoulders, has long sleeves & has embroidery on the collar & sleeves! One day, I will get brave enough to use it! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 07:23 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I have so many old clothes that I just wear around the house and if they are stained with ink, spaghetti sauce, chocolate or whatever, that is what I wear. But having said that, I stamp ALOT at night and I love being in my nightgown as early in the evening as possible. So all of my nightgowns are full of wayward ink!! Nobody sees them but hubby and me, so it's OK. I have to be comfortable as I don't want to suppress my creative juices you know......................Hee Hee, Ha Ha
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 08:08 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

i have an old, favorite, light weight denim, maternity top that I can slip on over my regular clothes. Now if I would just remember to do it before I get messy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 2,980 Likes on 1,496 Posts

I craft a lot in my pjs and robe! Morning and evening. I have been known to not get dressed at all a few times since retirement. I usually, when dressed wear sweats or jeans. So far. I haven't ruined anything. If I am working with paint, I will put on a smock that was my mothers, that was her mother's! That is if I remember. What I have ruined is the carpet, and lots of card stock because of those pesky stamp pad accidents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 10:36 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 464 Likes on 346 Posts

I have a man's size shirt that I wear over top of my clothes if I'm doing really messy stuff. And an old pair of jeans that I don't mind if I wipe my hands on.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeaniebean55View Post
Now, what does someone do for acrobatic SU! ink pads?* A lovely chocolate one decided to do a triple flip today before landing on two pieces of shimmer CS ... sigh ...

* I'm sure other ink pads are equally inclined, but I was trying to close this one and the lid decided to get testy.
Oh gosh... please tell me that they stop doing those triple flips after you wear them in a bit. I am rather SU! ink pad challenged, but I've been practicing. I'm going to be teaching classes soon, so it would be nice to look like I know what I'm doing, LOL.

(Sorry, I have absolutely no advice for the OP, except that ink on your clothes (fingers, hair, etc.) is a sign of creative genius... or, at least that's what I'm going to tell my students.) ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 03:07 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapperlmutterView Post
I have two old sweat shirts that I wear. I took pinking shear and cut up the front on these so they are like a cardigan. I wipe my hands on them, clean my stamps on the front. They are easy to put and take off when I get hot. I also have a cross over apron I found online at World Market that is light weight.
Excellent idea on the sweatshirts! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by octoberbabeView Post
I have so many old clothes that I just wear around the house and if they are stained with ink, spaghetti sauce, chocolate or whatever, that is what I wear. But having said that, I stamp ALOT at night and I love being in my nightgown as early in the evening as possible. So all of my nightgowns are full of wayward ink!! Nobody sees them but hubby and me, so it's OK. I have to be comfortable as I don't want to suppress my creative juices you know......................Hee Hee, Ha Ha
Wow I feel you! also #LifeGoals
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 02:01 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Sounds to me like I'm a pretty tidy crafter! I get ink etc on my hands and work surface which I protect with scratch paper and a cutting mat but I rarely get any on my clothes. I wear my PJs 95% of the time. I don't go out much so I save real clothes for when I do go out which saves my clothes from wear. Also I don't like shopping for clothes much as I either find nothing or more than I can afford! But even hubby can buy me PJs so I don't mind wearing them out. (Not out as in outside, as in wearing them into rags). A few times I've gotten a bit of glue on them but only one spot didn't wash out. When I get really messy, I wear an apron. I don't like it and it doesn't fit well but it works and I do love to wipe my hands on it. I hope it becomes its own work of art one day.

If I needed a smock tho, I'd go get a huge mans shirt from a thrift store. A really big nightie might work too but I'd worry the fabric would be too thin.

The reason it's hard to find a seamstress is two-fold. First it's expensive and few people understand the time it takes to make something. They expect it to be cheaper than buying something similar but a seamstress doesn't have access to the specialized machines and can't achieve the speeds attained by someone who sews the same seams many multiple times in a row. Because of this the people qualifies to sew are working on other things. Secondly, there are just fewer people who know how to sew these days. It takes many years to learn some of the harder techniques and because there's no money in it, it's not an attractive career option.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #33  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

So I wear a huge denim men's shirt that I bought at a flea market. It has a zebra and two giraffes on the back and only 1 zebra on the button down front. It has been washed so often that the cuffs are almost separated from the sleeves and is very soft and comfortable. Since I stamp in my basement, it is just right to put over regular clothing and be warm and cozy. Best of all, my adult children love to make fun of it. If I come to the door wearing it, they know I have been busy in my stamping lair. So I will definitely find another CLASSY denim large shirt. So sad that it will take years to break in! Sorry, kids, but not really.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2017, 07:53 AM   #34  
Glitter Queen

I wear a very colorful men's cotton dress shirt. I can button it all the way down and its long enough to almost cover all of my jeans to my knees. Aprons didn't Cover me enough. I found my shirt on a sale rack in the men's department of a discount store. I just wash and dry as usual. It works great
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #35  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you for this glamorous, fabulous thread. It is great to know I am in great company while wearing my stamping clothing. You stampers are the best!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2017, 02:50 PM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

I'm a risk-taker .... I'll wear anything but white and will try to avoid long sleeves unless it's just too stinkin' cold! ;)

P.S. bra is optional ... but drop-ins happen here, and I hate to shock people unnecessarily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #37  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post
I'm a risk-taker .... I'll wear anything but white and will try to avoid long sleeves unless it's just too stinkin' cold! ;)

P.S. bra is optional ... but drop-ins happen here, and I hate to shock people unnecessarily.
Ha ha bra is always optional chez Poppy! and I'm thinking if you wore an old white shirt you could eventually cut it up and collage with all the ink blotches and paint spatters LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2017, 05:07 PM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TexasGrammyView Post

I had to go back and re-read about the drop-ins, I thought you meant, well, um, you know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2017, 05:27 PM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 242 Likes on 129 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
I had to go back and re-read about the drop-ins, I thought you meant, well, um, you know.
ROFL!! If you knew me in person ... you would already know that answer!!!
😂
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-18-2017, 05:32 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 658 Likes on 415 Posts

blue jeans and what ever ( that is not white ) and not fancy enough to wear to work.

but, I don't really get things on me when I am creating.

when I paint walls in my house I have a mans big and tall ( not sure the size but, huge) levi's long sleeve denim shirt ( that has many many splatters on it from me holding the paint can climbing the ladder lol)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes