Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-23-2016, 02:38 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm pulling my hair out!

Earlier this year I made 20 Christmas cards. I usually go through my "Pinterest-Christmas Cards" and find a few that I like and then either recreate them or use them for inspiration to make my cards each year.

I started them extra early this year because I knew I wanted to take my time not only getting my cards done but I also wanted to be creative on the inside of my cards and also envelopes. I really never did a "layer" on the insides, I just stamped my sentiment, signed it and off it went. Well, this year I decided to step it up. Every card that I have made I have either made a layer to go in the inside of the card (or used my Big Shot to die cut a shape for the inside) and then I would stamp my sentiment but also stamp an image or small scene that co-ordinates with the front of the card. Same with the envelopes (I would put a few small stamps in the lower corner or on the bottom).

So these past couple of weeks I made 20 more cards and brought them upstairs yesterday to put them with the other 20 that I made, so I can get them ready for addressing. Well, the first 20 that I made ARE NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!!!!! I know for a fact that I brought them upstairs when I was done with them, to "put them in a safe place" but I cannot find them anywhere. I just cleaned out my stamp area last week and I know for a fact that I didn't see them down there either. I'm soooooo......aarrgghhhhh!!!

I'm hoping that once I get down there today I can take another look and they will magically appear.

I know we've all lost a stamp or adhesive or whatever, even while just sitting on our desk. But have you ever lost all of your work???

Splitcoast Member #5361 HEY LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!!!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 03:13 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
March 2014 Swapper of the Month

Received 1,021 Likes on 773 Posts

I lost 2 cards I made for a swap group last week. I moved them to a 'better place' than where they had been. By the time I needed them, no where to be found (story of my life). Since I knew they couldn't just disappear, I eventually found them on a small shelf where they had gotten covered with other paper and kinda slipped to the back.. . just by chance, the shelf is at eye level and I caught them before they disappeared over the edge forever. Good luck with your search...take a break and look again in a few days, you have until December to find them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 12:37 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Oh crackers. I really would lose my head if it wasnt attached. You have my sympathies.

Um...can you remember what you put them in? Like a box? A bag? The color of it? You need to check everywhere, including places you would not think you put it. Inside a closet, on a high shelf, etc. Think about the day you brought them upstairs...close your eyes and remember.....you'll find them. Did you put them with your Christmas stuff in storage?

In the meantime-dont lose this 20! Put them somewhere really obvious! Bright color box/big sign on it or something b/c we have months to go before they will get mailed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 02:13 PM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

This happens to me a lot! Me and "safe places" do not mix. You would think that putting something somewhere and when you do put it there, you say to yourself, "I will remember this place because it's so obvious". Well, then I don't. :confused: And when I go to find it and it's not there, I get a hot flash!!

Maybe you thought you brought them upstairs but they're still downstairs? Maybe you just set them down somewhere on the way to the "safe place"? It's so easy to get distracted when we're multi-tasking. LOL! Maybe just forget about them for a few days, relax and it will come to you while you're doing something completely different than stamping.

Keep us posted! I'm sending you positive thoughts...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

Sometimes it helps to have a "second set of eyes" look for them.

I do this when my husband is looking for something. He tells what it is and I help look too. When you've been looking at stuff for too long, oftentimes what you are searching for is right there but you don't see it.

My twin and I do this too when we are proof reading things. Having someone with a new perspective on things helps. They "see" things that you may have missed.

Hope the cards turn up!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #6  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh I'm sorry. I have more than a passing acquaintance with Murphy. Perhaps you've heard him. He composed a law... If I were looking for your cards, Murphy decrees that I will find them on Boxing Day.

I do hope you do much better than that, good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Oh, I sure hope that I find them. And trust me, I've thought of all kinds of situations. I did think that maybe I left them downstairs and never did bring them up here. So I looked and looked again today down there and nothing. I looked again and again upstairs too today.

Then I got to thinking that maybe I'm going completely insane and I'm thinking of last years cards. But I know those aren't the ones I'm thinking of.........but are they? I don't know. I think I'm just gonna have to suck it up and realize that I need to make 20-25 more cards this season.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've actually started putting notes in my phone under "hidden items" for Christmas and birthday gifts and WHERE I actually HID them.....and those "safe place" items!! SERIOUSLY!! ACK!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

After too many times of putting something in a "safe place" and then searching for days or weeks I got smart and ordered letter size poly envelopes from Amazon and store all my finished seasonal, holiday, Christmas and special birthday or anniversary cards in these envelopes. They are all kept together and are large so I can find them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

I'm still looking for 4 gessoed canvases that I prepped for last year's holiday craft fair! I found 2 so where are the others? And I'm not sure where I put the 2 I found due to massive craft reorganization a couple of months ago. Maybe our lost items are partying together!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 02:12 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

Not sure what it is about craft rooms that cause things to disappear. There is no other area of my life where I routinely lose things. But, when I'm crafting, I can put something down within reach and voila! It's missing the next minute.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 04:27 AM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

[QUOTE=Dorie95;21306445]This happens to me a lot! Me and "safe places" do not mix. You would think that putting something somewhere and when you do put it there, you say to yourself, "I will remember this place because it's so obvious". Well, then I don't. :confused: And when I go to find it and it's not there, I get a hot flash!!

I almost spit my tea. Hot flash...that's funny!!! I get them too- but they dont need a trigger other than the worst possible moment like before I took my passport picture so I have to live with it for 10 years.

Murphy is a house guest quite often. What he loves to do to me is have me find stuff the day after I needed it.

I like the ideas of having someone else look.

Where did you put the new 20? If it happens again, you can come back here and see it.

Maybe we need a communal Where is It? thread we can all post to where we put something. I dont know how many times I have lost the post it note reminder too. lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 04:51 AM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 186 Likes on 88 Posts

All of these things are so true. I do it all the time as well. I recently lost my flash drive with my syllabus on it. Since I don't teach in the summer, I had time to forget the reasonable place that I put it. I finally found it in a drawer where I keep extra phone chargers, etc.
So, my suggestion is to think of related places. Someone said already to look where you store Christmas stuff. How about where you put postage stamps? Or where you keep your address book?
Then I would start looking in the less obvious accidentally set them down places. Your nightstand? Junk mail area?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I put things in odd places when I'm not paying attention. I found the catsup in the bathroom and immediately knew that I would find the lotion in the fridge. LOL

Maslex - did you find the cards?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

So, I have done this exact same thing. (only in reverse because, I stamp upstairs and have a spare room as an "office" at home) so, I have for years and years and years kept my personal for me to use Christmas cards in the same box on a shelf in the closet...

last year I could not find the cards I made,

I found them after Christmas in a different box under the table in that same room where I knew I took them. (they somehow ended up in the box that is every day not Christmas cards box)

so, what did you have the cards in when you were going to stash them?

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 04:32 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

[quote=wavejumper;21306772]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
This happens to me a lot! Me and "safe places" do not mix. You would think that putting something somewhere and when you do put it there, you say to yourself, "I will remember this place because it's so obvious". Well, then I don't. :confused: And when I go to find it and it's not there, I get a hot flash!!

I almost spit my tea. Hot flash...that's funny!!! I get them too- but they dont need a trigger other than the worst possible moment like before I took my passport picture so I have to live with it for 10 years.

Murphy is a house guest quite often. What he loves to do to me is have me find stuff the day after I needed it.

I like the ideas of having someone else look.

Where did you put the new 20? If it happens again, you can come back here and see it.

I put the new 20 in a plastic bag and is on the side of my chair in the corner.

Maybe we need a communal Where is It? thread we can all post to where we put something. I dont know how many times I have lost the post it note reminder too. lol

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 04:33 PM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I put things in odd places when I'm not paying attention. I found the catsup in the bathroom and immediately knew that I would find the lotion in the fridge. LOL

Maslex - did you find the cards?

No, I haven't :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2016, 07:34 PM   #18  
Glitter Queen

I've been down this road myself. I finally got a small, purse size notebook. Every time I put a finished project away 'for storing' until it is needed, I write in this designated notebook where I put it. It works! Can't tell you how many hours I have saved myself from looking hither,tither and yon for something. If I don't go right to it, I pull out the notebook. I pray you cards will show themselves soon for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2016, 12:55 PM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel your pain. Happens to me all the time, and it doesn't even have to be something as small as a card. I'm currently missing a cordless hand vacuum specifically for pet hair. Grrr, lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #20  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 602 Likes on 422 Posts

I bought 2 tickets to a scrapbook show and put them in a safe space so i wouldnt lose them-up lost them!! Me putting something in a safe place is not a good thing! I did find the tixs after weeks of looking. These are not small st least 4x6 with pins attached.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-28-2016, 02:25 PM   #21  
Watercolor Wizard

You all are scaring me.
I think I need to start writing down where I put things. I could write on the whiteboard on the kitchen, but the whiteboard isn't very big. Or, I could put it in my phone, but would I remember where in my phone that I put it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 01:47 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I got out my new Mountain Adventure set on Friday to create a lovely scenic card. I pulled out all the stamps I though I'd need and set them down on my table. Big mistake, that. One of the stamps (looks like an "X") promptly disappeared. Luckily, I did find it yesterday but this is simply ridiculous.

I think I need those chip things to attach to my stuff. Can you imagine the cost if it would even work? LOL

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 03:14 AM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Oh, I can both sympathize and empathize with you. I was so frustrated a few days ago when I couldn't find the photo box of pre-made card bases that I knew I had. I had thought they were where I'd always kept them, but then I remembered that I had "organized" my card bases a few weeks ago. Frustrated and miffed, I stopped looking and made the bases that I needed. Just a few minutes ago, I happened to glance at the bottom shelf of the TV stand in our room, and what do you think I spotted? Yep, there it was! I had put it on the shelf below my finished cards.

I hope that the same happens for you, and that they turn up when you're not even looking for them. {Hugs}
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 04:34 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

A friend put a watch away that was a Christmas present for her brother in a safe place somewhere in her home. That was seven years ago and it still drives her crazy that she can't find it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 06:29 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I see a new Evernote category, "where did I put it" in many a stamper's future.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #26  
Watercolor Wizard

I guess the problem is that when you put it wherever, it makes perfect sense to you, and you don't even think that you will need a reminder. Then a week later, you think "where the heck did I put it?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 10:06 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Checking in, I am curious if you found your cards yet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #28  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts

I have a bulletin board and I tack lists up on it. Especially when friends borrow things. Its not that I don't trust them to return it, but I forget where my stuff is. When they return it I cross it off. I have Christmas cards in a photo box in a drawer but I can't lose that because I add to it each month.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 11:29 AM   #29  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
I have a bulletin board and I tack lists up on it. Especially when friends borrow things. Its not that I don't trust them to return it, but I forget where my stuff is. When they return it I cross it off. I have Christmas cards in a photo box in a drawer but I can't lose that because I add to it each month.
I keep track of loaned items too. Then I might know why I can't find it at home haha!

As far as keeping track on your phone, in your Notes (iPhone), one could have a heading 'Hiding places' or something, and keep track of places one puts things. I may have to follow my own advice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 12:23 PM   #30  
Mad Swapper

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm very happy for you, Maslex, that you got started so soon! Those cards will turn up, and, if not in time for THIS Christmas, they'll give you a head start for next year.
I really like the idea of keeping a list of Safe Places on my phone. Losing whatever it is happens to me almost every time I do something in advance.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

When this happens to me, I always get my daughter to be an extra pair of eyes and she can usually find things for me. Now, darn it, she's off to college!

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 02:54 PM   #32  
Crimping Master

This reminds me of that thread about items going missing, like stamps and dies. Parts of alphabets walking off - pets getting into the action. All kinds of card went missing, only to be found under stacks of paper or the card got turned over and a new card was made on the back by accident. Funny thread.

I admit to finding important stuff stashed in some crazy places. I have a tendency to set things down while I fix something, or attend to a pet, and then forget about i.

It will come to you. Especially if you watch a scary movie. Subconsciously your mind will keep working on where they are while you watch the action and it comes to you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 06:36 PM   #33  
Proud Fan Club Member

Well at least I am not alone.

Apparently we are going to need to hire a cabana boy at the Card Home who knows where we put stuff. lol.

I remember that thread Janet. It was funny in a way only carders would get. Just the other day two very small lady bug stamps showed up. I didnt even know they were missing.

Ok. I saw that Maslex...you put the new cards in a plastic bag by a chair in the corner. Sub this thread now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 06:47 PM   #34  
Crimping Master

I quit putting things in a 'safe place' or a 'special spot' because that's just another way of saying 'lost'. Now I put stuff where I know to go look for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-29-2016, 06:57 PM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I can so identify with this! I got organized one year and made my sons' birthday cards a few months early. I borrowed a stamp set to do my middle son's card, then put it in a "safe place" (he tends to come and make the occasional card). His b'day rolls around and missing! found it a few months later, kept it in same safe spot till next years b'day, yep forgot the "safe spot" Finally refound it after making another card, so I gave it to his girlfriend to use for him (he really liked it) Tonight I looked all over for the lid to a small pot, found it in the cutlery drawer
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2016, 03:51 AM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

YES. We need "sous stampers"-- folks who follow us around cleaning as we make.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2016, 07:46 AM   #37  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I am happy that I am not the only one that puts things away and can't find them. When using clear stamps I can put them down in front of me and then not find them. Now when I stamp with these, I have a black plastic plate that I store the stamps in until I have finished with them. Much easier to find.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2016, 11:14 AM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

I do this all the time!! I chalk it up to fibro/lupus brain fog. I buy something, put it away, then cannot find it later. Like the bananas I stored in my bedroom until I had to trace down the source of the fruit knat things. The headband I bought for my grand-daughter to wear at my daughter's (her aunt) wedding. we bought it, tried it out at home and I have not seen it since. Daughter got married in May. The year I bought a beautiful calendar for my son, with wonderful, loving quotes. His birthday is in June and this calendar was one of those 18 month things that started in June....I found the calendar, 2 years later.�� In this house, it is just an ongoing thing and does not appear to be getting better. I wait for the day my husband tells me I have to have some sort of babysitter every day. That poor man is a saint.

I have also been known to store odds n ends in the frig, phone, spray cleaner, the random kitchen utensil with no bowl

Last edited by santim5665; 08-30-2016 at 11:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-30-2016, 12:47 PM   #39  
Stampin' Fool

I feel so much better after reading this.......... I am not alone, I am not alone........
Reply With Quote Likes