Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,901 Likes on 2,174 Posts
Default I'm coloring challenged

But I can case very well. How do I find colored images as a guide to follow to color my stamped images? I tried coloring chubby chums from paper smooches on my own, but I just don't seem to have the knack of picking good colors? I have spectrum noir markers, prisms pencils, watercolor pencils, watercolor crayons and inks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2014, 09:26 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When I need help in coloring a stamp I go to Google Images and type in the name of the stamp. The site will bring up all of the images available for that particular stamp. It could be a card using that stamp or just a line drawing of the stamp. If you click on image it will take you to the web site it originated at. Then I just copy the sample and use it for reference later.
Anna Lee
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Try a Pinterest search- this one I did for colouring with markers you will find a lot of links to peoples blogs etc where they have colour combos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you can also pick a patterned paper you like and use it as a reference for the color combos.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2014, 10:00 AM   #5  
Proud Fan Club Member

Both of your have great ideas! I guess I just need to see it because I don't know which colors to start with. That pinterest page was awesome. I have a pinterest account, I just don't know enough on how to use it. I didn't realize I could do a search like that! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2014, 11:37 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you made color charts for each of those mediums? that helps a lot!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2014, 11:39 AM   #7  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
Have you made color charts for each of those mediums? that helps a lot!!!
I have one for the spectrums since I found a blank one online that you could color. Do you know of a blank prisma chart. That would be helpful.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Found this one deviantART: More Like Prismacolor 150 Premier Colored Pencil Chart by TransientArt
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-13-2014, 12:21 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2014, 04:23 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I always choose my patterned papers first and select cours from the papers to colour my images.
Make sure you create a colour chart for all your colouring media so you can place it next to the patterned papers to select the closest match.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

I love to color but I am challenged too! I am glad you asked this as I am learning from the answers too!

What I am doing:

The patterned paper is a good guideline. This is one I am just starting to do. Before I was coloring how I wanted and then just layering in solids.

I use a color wheel to help me know which colors are compatible. Then I can combine that with the pattern paper too.

Many stamps have colored indexes (the image on the back) if you get them in wood. Some don't. Oddly I have seen both for the same image too-with and without color. This way I know how the company "saw" it. Penny Black has colored images on the paper backing in the package as do some other mfgs. Since I keep a copy of all my images in my own "catalog", I keep that one.

I tend to like to use a lot of colors but I also know I have read repeatedly to try to keep it to 3 esp if you want to do CAS.

If you look at the mfg site-they usually have card galleries which their design teams do. So that could be a good guide. Sometimes they will have card samples with the listing of the stamp itself.

And then honestly...sometimes it's just how I feel that day. I want to use blues or whatever. Depending on the image you could have that flexibility. (ie flowers) Afterall, it's our creativity at work right? Or sometimes I gear it to the fav color of the person getting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2014, 01:22 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

I love it when the manufacturer puts a colored image on so I can see it as they planned it. That is a good idea and the way I prefer. A color wheel tells me what colors look good together, but it won't tell me which colors I should use for my particular image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Ahhh... don't be so quick to put down that wheel Kathy!

If you know ANY of the colors for your image-that can act as your "base" on the color wheel. "Should" is a relative concept...benches should be white, black or wood colored right? Grass is green, blah blah...so depending on your image...you already may have some colors going in the "should" idea. And depending how much of it is in the image...how big is that bench in relation to the total?

Think about images. We can have flowers-which can be anything pretty much we want unless we are driven to be "correct"....we have have clothes...which can be again pretty much what we want....as I said, sky, water, dirt, grass- kind of is already decided.

I'm concerned you don't get too hung up on what is "correct"-these things are an expression from YOU...some people work with only certain colors most of the time. This is supposed to be fun for you....try this: stamp it out several times on scrap paper. And try different colors quickly with the pencils. Just a swoosh of color. See what you like!

You know what color most things are...toys, buildings, books, etc. Don't worry. You are going to do very well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

You're right. It will take a little time. I just finished a color chart with all my prismas thanks to Kristen's link. I have 68 prismas and with the chart, I can see the blend of colors!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2014, 07:24 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

The colour wheel is fun to help you find colours that pop! Or colours that coordinate. For instance, if I want a soft baby card or a fun punchy party card, I can still use the same colours on the colour wheel. For instance, three colours next to each other on the wheel work well together. So for a baby card I might use soft yellow green, soft green and aqua. Then for a party card I might use chartreuse, grass green and turquoise!

Recently I used scarlet and moss on a card with kraft and ivory. Switch the scarlet to a bright red and moss to hunter green and you have Xmas colours! You can find all those options on any colour wheel. So do you want soft muted colours? Ones that pop? Ones that look soothing and blend well or ones that contrast? You can learn about tones, shades and values. All really important to choosing colours and not hard.

As for making colour charts, I usually make my own. I just choose the paper I'm most likely to use and draw on a grid. Then I fill it in with the code or name and in another box a sample of the colour. I never choose by the cap or stick colour. I usually keep it inside the tin or attach it to the packaging somewhere. Just keep it out of sunlight.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #16  
Proud Fan Club Member

I think we are missing each other...I am not talking about color charts for specific products but a general color "wheel" they sell in art/crafts stores for like 5 bucks. They tell you which colors go together...as Rebecca was talking about in her first paragraph. They also help you with tone and stuff. I am still studying it.

I just want to make sure we understand those are different things.

There is something to be said for product charts too. Not only for coloring choices, but for deciding what to buy next.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 03:56 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Don't think so. You need to chart your colors or know what they color to use a color wheel accurately. Both are very useful tools, especially if someone is having difficulty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #18  
Proud Fan Club Member

Thank you friends. Yes I do understand that the color wheel is different fromthe chart for my prism as. I just needed to see what colors I have in one place and a chart help s with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #19  
Stampin' Fool

I agree with a few of the prior comments.....

I love the color wheel to use colors that match and make each other pop off the paper. This is especially great if I'm going to mount my image on solid card stock.

If I'm using designer paper, I start with that, and choose colors that will match or harmonize with my paper. It makes my cards look so much more professional and put together, than when I colored an image from someone else's colors, then tried to put it on my card or paper. This way it's your chance to be creative.

If you're looking for inspiration from someone else's work, which we've all done at one time or another, the color wheel will also help you to choose colors within the same family, yet pick the ones to match your paper. There are lots of tools out there to help us, so good luck!

Last edited by lovetostamp3; 03-20-2014 at 01:15 PM.. Reason: added a word
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #20  
Crimping Master

Kathy I didn't read all the replies so I'm sorry if I repeat something ..there is a prismacolor sticky..maybe in tool and product talk, that is a gazillion pages long and has some really good info and references in it.
Also, there are TONS of videos on you tube for every coloring medium known to man..and then some LOL. It just takes practice!( .and a healthy does of patience as well)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkin OneView Post
Kathy I didn't read all the replies so I'm sorry if I repeat something ..there is a prismacolor sticky..maybe in tool and product talk, that is a gazillion pages long and has some really good info and references in it.
Also, there are TONS of videos on you tube for every coloring medium known to man..and then some LOL. It just takes practice!( .and a healthy does of patience as well)
I found that sticky today but there are 52 pages so I don't know where to begin! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 07:29 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Aloha Kathy, These are all great ideas. Here is one that helped me immensely. . .if you know your primary (red, yellow, blue) and secondary colors (orange, green, purple), you can see that some purples tend to be more on the blue side, some oranges are more red, etc. Once I figured this out I was able to have the colors coordinate much better. . . Hope that makes sense. If not, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help with a bit more detail. . . Stamp several of the same images and then "splash" color across to see what you like. As someone else above mentioned, enjoy! This is such a fun hobby as YOU can make it what ever you want it to be!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 191 Posts

I love playing with color! My favorite challenge on this site is the Tuesday Color Challenge. Usually the combo has 3 colors, maybe 4. What I like about it is that it encourages me to think outside the box. After playing in this challenge quite often over the years, I am more comfortable coming up with my own combos. There are also a lot of blog challenges that specifically focus on color
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2014, 03:32 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goodly CreationsView Post
Aloha Kathy, These are all great ideas. Here is one that helped me immensely. . .if you know your primary (red, yellow, blue) and secondary colors (orange, green, purple), you can see that some purples tend to be more on the blue side, some oranges are more red, etc. Once I figured this out I was able to have the colors coordinate much better. . . Hope that makes sense. If not, feel free to PM me and I'll try to help with a bit more detail. . . Stamp several of the same images and then "splash" color across to see what you like. As someone else above mentioned, enjoy! This is such a fun hobby as YOU can make it what ever you want it to be!!
Since I love to color, and because I like testing out options, I'll often stamp multiples of an image to play around with to see what I like best (not in great detail as far as shading or whatever, but just some basic coloring), then do the "real deal" for my card. The others are a good reference for future playing, if I like them enough to keep them. If not, then I had fun and have no trouble tossing them...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2014, 12:39 PM   #25  
Proud Fan Club Member

Went out to LSS and bought more prismas! She sells them for $1 each and michaels wants $1.79 or more! I colored my first image since getting all these replies and will post it later. It was fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

I just bought this stamp today. I thought it would be great to learn to color.
Prismas practice by muscrat - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 01:14 PM   #27  
Proud Fan Club Member

check out my gallery. I put three more pictures in there of the same image but colored with different colors. Some of used ods with a blending stump, and some I just colored with the pencil.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Well I think you are colouring challenged no more. Your cards are lovely. I love that stamp too, I think I need it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #29  
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaenasmommyView Post
Well I think you are colouring challenged no more. Your cards are lovely. I love that stamp too, I think I need it.
Thank You. I'm having fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by muscratView Post
But I can case very well. How do I find colored images as a guide to follow to color my stamped images? I tried coloring chubby chums from paper smooches on my own, but I just don't seem to have the knack of picking good colors? I have spectrum noir markers, prisms pencils, watercolor pencils, watercolor crayons and inks.
I have the same issue, so I just practice by watching videos of other people coloring until I have the knack down. I colored a flower image about 12 times until I was comfortable with it.

I like to watch Sherri Carroll, Kristina Werner, Jennifer McGuire and Vicky Papaioannou. The first two ladies have many good videos with coloring using markers and pencils.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 09:08 PM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

I just read these posts and I have to thank Compulsive Stamper--Very Much!! I just went to Google Images and did what you said in the post. This is wonderful! I have struggled for a long time trying to choose colors and this will help me immensely. I think I can stop pulling out my hair now. :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 10:46 PM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

Here are a couple of Pinterest Boards that may be of help. You don't have to be a member to look, and I am a "lurker"! There is some good info, not only for Copics, but markers, watercolors, coloring with stamp pads, you name it. So, perhaps this may help as well, it's worked for me. And, they have good info on the color wheel. Again best of luck on your color journey! I have been a Copic lover, but just got back to watercoloring with various mediums, not just the paints, but markers, stamp pads, pencils, ..... It can be soooo relaxing and seems to go faster than all my Copic blending - and I love that watercolor look!

Coloring, Markers & Pens on Pinterest

Color - Techniques & Tutorials on Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2014, 10:58 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Kathy, I've seen your work. You are doing FINE! Practice helps. I've had the luxury of an artist friend who showed me prismas. The trick to those is LOTS of base color. Sometimes color in white. The wax blends itself. For example, if you lay down the white first, the black will not go on as dark. That helps in blending. Start with light colors, then add medium, then dark. By the third layer ( yes it's time consuming but fun) that wax just smooshes together. The color wheel didn't help me much and I dye fabric too and I am supposed to use that. I like what I like no matter what the color rules tell me.

If your color is not bold enough this woman showed me to use ink, paint or copics. Grab what you have and use it. On the flip side, if you use copics, blend it perfectly with pencil by adding layers of wax from the pencils.

You are doing great, Kathy. It's hard, it's slow and it's tedious. But if you enjoy coloring for the fun of crafting, add those layers of pencil. It works.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2014, 05:30 AM   #34  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kathy, I agree with Nancy... Have fun and "like what you like no matter what the color rules tell you". Your cards are lovely and the coloring looks great!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #35  
Proud Fan Club Member

I looked at your gallery. You are totally fine.

If you ever want color guides for plants...I usually have a couple of garden plant catalogues lying around and I can look at those to tell me what color a flower can be...so many keep coming out in new colors all the time...and leaf color. Or you can look online.

But like people said...who cares if you want to make your daisy checkered? Stamp companies do that stuff all the time for mixed media. And now there is Steampunk and Zentangle...people are doing whatever.

Do what makes you happy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #36  
Stampin' Fool

I finally found the post for your Gallery - talk about challenged????? I think your work is lovely, you don't need our advice, you're doing great on your own!!! I know how it's nice to get feedback though, especially when you feel frustrated, but I think you're doing well. As someone else said, which applies to all of us, it's just a matter of practice, the more we do it, the better we get!!!!

Have fun!!
Reply With Quote Likes