Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I'd like your opinion about policy...

I was wondering if anyone else is annoyed that PaperTreyInk never has a sale, and never discounts their products. I have been told by them that it is because they give away the anniversary set each year. Of course one has to buy 12 sets in a year to get the special free set. I feel it would benefit more people if they would do a percent off sale, or SOME kind of discount periodically. Does anyone else feel the same??? I do love Paper Trey's products, and have a LOT of them. I just want to know what others think about their policy on sales.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 11:11 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't really know much about the company but perhaps they keep their prices lower all year instead of higher prices and the odd sale?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-29-2010, 11:46 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinobompView Post
I was wondering if anyone else is annoyed that PaperTreyInk never has a sale, and never discounts their products. I have been told by them that it is because they give away the anniversary set each year. Of course one has to buy 12 sets in a year to get the special free set. I feel it would benefit more people if they would do a percent off sale, or SOME kind of discount periodically. Does anyone else feel the same??? I do love Paper Trey's products, and have a LOT of them. I just want to know what others think about their policy on sales.
My feeling is that if a company wants to put their stuff on sale, then GREAT, but I don't shop at a certain shop because of a sale, I shop there because of the product... They have a great product and it's absolutely their choice to not put stuff on sale. Wishing or praying or talking about it won't change anything...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 01:43 AM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

It would be nice, but it wont stop me from buying!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

It would be nice, sure, but when people stampede the store on the 15th of every month buying everything until it's out of stock, why would they have sales? LOL! People are busting down the doors to buy it at full price, I wouldn't have sales either;)
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 04:05 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Default IMHO

IMHO - and not looking to cause problems, but Honestly, I continue to be impressed that so many of the owner/operated businesses are surviving and maybe growing in this economic environment. It's been a challenge for all businesses. These small companies have to cover costs for design, production, advertising, maintaining an inventory, distribution, personnel, costs of maintaining their website....and probably other costs that we aren't even aware of. I'd imagine that it's a LOT of work and challenges. That's a lot to do and accomplish every month. So I'm not surprised that there are no discounts. GREAT for those who manage to be able to discount....but I don't begrudge those who can't or don't. As consumers, we always have alternatives, if we would like. I like Papertrey's product - they share their ideas and tips freely - I'm hoping to place an order soon.:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 04:06 AM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't find sale/no sale policies annoying. It is up to a vendor to set a policy and then the consumer can decide if the product is worth the price.

I find the manner in which PTI distributes the free set annoying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 04:23 AM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

What I like about PTI not having a sale is that I won't have regrets that I purchased something regular price and then they had a sale "darn, I should have waited."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 04:39 AM   #9  
Mad Swapper

I find it hard enough to resist each new release time, much less having to deal with resisting sales--thank goodness they don't hold sales! :-)

I'd even like them to go back to 5-6 new sets each month rather than the 10-12. It's too overwhelming at times...
TAC demo #2239
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 05:34 AM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

PTI does not have sales or discounts because they don't NEED to! The only reason a retailer marks merchandise down is that it is no longer selling and they have to move the merchandise out for new product. PTI customers are able and willing to pay full price so there is no need for a sale. And they don't keep alot of product in house.

"I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:26 AM   #11  
Watercolor Wizard

It doesn't bother me at all that they don't have sales...helps me keep within my budget, LOL! Also, I find PTI's prices to be reasonable for the quality of the product. There's something comforting about knowing the price is the price, and like a previous poster said, it makes for less regret later for having paid full price when later it's on sale.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:40 AM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmberDawnView Post
It would be nice, sure, but when people stampede the store on the 15th of every month buying everything until it's out of stock, why would they have sales? LOL! People are busting down the doors to buy it at full price, I wouldn't have sales either;)
I agree! And don't forget the free shipping. That's like a sale or you could be paying up to $10 for shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:41 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

It does not bother me in the least that they don't offer sales. The quality of their stamps are worth every penny. Add to that the quick shipping and free shipping policy, it's all worth it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 08:33 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

It's their company, so they can run it with or without sales as they see fit. It's your choice whether to buy or not.

I will admit that I was a tiny bit annoyed that I couldn't get a free set because I bought some sets for myself, then my husband bought a bunch of sets from a different email address for me as a gift.

I do know that when other companies have sales, I'm more likely to purchase. I love feeling that I'm getting a deal...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 09:02 AM   #15  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When paper trey first started their shipping to canada was horrendous and it still took weeks to get here. I recently started buying from them and their shipping has a discount if you buy over 100.00. They still take a long time to get here but with the cheaper shipping I am very happy. I think their products have improved as well. Now with the dies I am loving buying up my 100.00 every second month, lol. I still have to wait to get the discount.

Lorri
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 09:14 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I love a sale as much as the next person. ;)

But, no, I am not annoyed if a/any company doesn't have or never has one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

It's their company, they can set sale policies however they want. Would I like it? Sure! But they are clearly doing well enough that they don't need to have a sale.

There are lots of companies where the price is the price. Period. iPhones come to mind. The price is the price. Period. And when people want something, they will pay!

I do wish they would cut down on the amount of stuff released each month though. I'd like to be able to catch up sometimes. My eyes are bigger than my wallet.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 10:09 AM   #18  
Crimping Master

It doesn't annoy me that they don't have sales, but I am a shopper of sales so I tend to purchase from internet companies offering deals or sales of some sort. I don't like to and rarely pay full price for anything. I don't have a ton of money to spend on myself so I have to stretch my dollar as far as I can.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 10:10 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by NancyK.View Post
The only reason a retailer marks merchandise down is that it is no longer selling and they have to move the merchandise out for new product.
I know this is off topic, but felt a need to respond to this statement. As a retailer (non-stamping), I can tell you that this is not entirely true, especially since the economy took a nosedive. It seems more and more these days customers are looking for discounts, and we have to have some kind of offer out there just to get them in the door. I also have customers asking for discounts on non-sale items or items not covered by coupons. Times are tough and people are looking for this best deals they can get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 10:31 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I shop sales, but it doesn't bother me that PaperTrey does not offer them. I feel their products are unique, their prices are reasonable, and their free shipping over $60 is great.

I think one of the greatest values though is to see what Nichole and the design team do with their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

I have no problem with them not offering sales. Each company is free to set its own policies, and each consumer is free to purchase from whichever company they wish.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 07:30 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

With the quality of the clear stamps, with the vast range of sets and coordinating products they have available, and with all the ideas from the design team, I am a huge PTI fan. With the designers developing new products that coordinate with their older items, this is a huge plus in my book. And I understand that there are no plans to retire any sets - also a huge plus. I don't have to get in a panic to get a set I really want. All these things keep me going back, time after time. And I've never been disappointed.

I'd say someone with the company has developed a brillliant marketing plan, and as a very satisfied customer, I'd also say "Dance with the person that brung ya!"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 07:46 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

As others have said, it is their company, their choice as to whether to offer sales, and a customer's choice as to whether to buy or not. Since PTI is growing exponentially, it is evidently OK with most of us.

They do have some price advantages over SU - PTI cardstock is $5.00 for a 24-pack - SU is $6.95, plus 10% shipping and tax. PTI charges no tax outside of OH (I think), and once you hit $60 shipping is free. PTI's 50-pack of cardstock is an even better value. Buy enough cardstock and that's equal to a sale right there!

Say you buy 12 24-packs of cardstock from each company. If you live outside of OH, your 12 packs from PTI would be a total of $60 - no tax or shipping. Your 12 packs from SU would be $83.40, plus $8.43 shipping and tax. That's over $30 difference before any tax is added. There's your sale!

If PTI did offer sales, it would be a no-win situation for them. Can you imagine if thousands of us bought one stamp set, then three weeks later it went on sale? THAT would be annoyance!

Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 07:58 PM   #24  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you for your responses. I feel I used the wrong word by saying "annoyed". Like I stated, I have a LOT (way over $2000.) of PaperTrey items. So I obviously love the company. I also love Nichole's blog, and the other design team members' blogs as well. So PLEASE, don't take the question wrong. I'm also not stupid; I realize that they are smart, and innovative, and run their business well. And if that's the policy they set at the beginning, than so be it. Obviously there are many of us that are buying a LOT of their products!
But I do agree with "birdbrain", a retailer, that stated that sales are not always about dumping out of date stuff. That's just not true! I also shop with Gina K., Unity, and Ellen Hutson, among others. They are all privately owned as well. And they have percentage off sales frequently! And it's often on brand new things. And I'm sure they could move their merchandise even if they didn't have sales.
So my question was more "wouldn't you love it if PTI had sales or discounts once in a while"? I should not have said "annoying". Because I believe you all took that too literally!
I did not mean to offend anyone, especially the PTI ladies. I think PTI is one of the best stamp companies out there! And I wish them ALL THE BEST. I plan to continue to buy their products, and I wait anxiously for the 15th of the month EVERY MONTH!!!
I should have just kept my mouth shut! But since I didn't, I appreciate everyone's honesty and opinions. It looks like I am in the minority! My thing is that I just love a sale! And almost all of the companies offer free shipping on a certain amount of goods. But yes, I do appreciate that PTI does that also.
Have a great day, everyone. Please don't take offense at my question; I just wanted to see how many others love a sale as much as I do! :o)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 08:07 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stamper for funView Post
What I like about PTI not having a sale is that I won't have regrets that I purchased something regular price and then they had a sale "darn, I should have waited."
Yep thats how I feel about it! I also agree with Joan about the free set distribution (I ve never had a problem getting mine, but many have). Now that they have grown so big they need a better way to distribute the free set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 08:44 PM   #26  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by dinobompView Post
Thank you for your responses. I feel I used the wrong word by saying "annoyed". Like I stated, I have a LOT (way over $2000.) of PaperTrey items. So I obviously love the company. I also love Nichole's blog, and the other design team members' blogs as well. So PLEASE, don't take the question wrong. I'm also not stupid; I realize that they are smart, and innovative, and run their business well. And if that's the policy they set at the beginning, than so be it. Obviously there are many of us that are buying a LOT of their products!
But I do agree with "birdbrain", a retailer, that stated that sales are not always about dumping out of date stuff. That's just not true! I also shop with Gina K., Unity, and Ellen Hutson, among others. They are all privately owned as well. And they have percentage off sales frequently! And it's often on brand new things. And I'm sure they could move their merchandise even if they didn't have sales.So my question was more "wouldn't you love it if PTI had sales or discounts once in a while"? I should not have said "annoying". Because I believe you all took that too literally!
I did not mean to offend anyone, especially the PTI ladies. I think PTI is one of the best stamp companies out there! And I wish them ALL THE BEST. I plan to continue to buy their products, and I wait anxiously for the 15th of the month EVERY MONTH!!!
I should have just kept my mouth shut! But since I didn't, I appreciate everyone's honesty and opinions. It looks like I am in the minority! My thing is that I just love a sale! And almost all of the companies offer free shipping on a certain amount of goods. But yes, I do appreciate that PTI does that also.
Have a great day, everyone. Please don't take offense at my question; I just wanted to see how many others love a sale as much as I do! :o)
Very true! We don't have sales because we can't move merchandise. We have sales because it's a nice thing to do for our customers. Thanks for pointing that out.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-30-2010, 10:29 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

on one hand, I feel exactly the same... however, in some ways I like it. At least I know that when I buy from PTI I'm not going to be upset in a couple of days when they have a sale on the same stuff I just bought! While it is great to save money with sales, I find that with companies that have frequent sales, I am afraid to buy unless it is on sale, kwim?

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 06:08 AM   #28  
Stampin' Fool

Dinobomp - I wasn't offended, but your clarification helps me understand your thoughts better. Of course, anything that helps a customer save money is fabulous!

I shop online from a number of companies, since the only craft stores here are the chains - Michaels, Joann and Hobby Lobby. There are things I want that they just don't carry, or that take a year to get in stock.

If a company has a history of offering sales, I tend to fill my cart or make a list and then just sit and wait for the next sale. I can't stand the feeling of having wasted money, even if it's only $1. And having a sale pop up for something I just ordered would definitely make me feel like I had overspent. I've only paid for shipping twice on any order in the past 2 years, and both times the clearance prices more than covered the shipping charge. Edited to add: Does not include SU orders, but I've cut way down on them.

Last fall, I placed an order with an online company, then sometime between Thanksgiving and New Years they had a big sale (it may have been on everything in stock). So now, I've got a long list for that company, waiting to see if they have that sale again. If so, I'm all over it!

If I'm anything like an average consumer, these stores, where I keep a cart or list sitting waiting for a sale, are not making as much $ on me as they could. I have way more than enough "stuff" to tide me over until the next order, whenever or wherever it is made. With PTI, I know the price will always be the price, so I order every month - sometimes twice a month.

I guess what it boils down to is that if there are no sales, I don't feel obligated to play the waiting game to get the most bang for my buck. Make sense?

Mary

Last edited by mcbenjam; 10-31-2010 at 06:10 AM.. Reason: Edited to clarify comment about shipping,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #29  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love sales too.

BUT.

There are companies that jack prices in order to be able to have those huge sales so consistent fair pricing can make sense.

I design for ... Ellen Hutson LLC, & Maya Road

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

I love a good sale but if I want something bad enough, I have no problem paying full price for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-31-2010, 09:04 AM   #31  
Cat
Die Cut Diva

"sales" are a marketing strategy. companies have sales for many different reasons; to reduce overstock, to deplete last year's model, to boost lagging sales for the month [or year], to give customers the impression they're getting a good deal, etc.

i would assume PTI does "do" sales because they don't need to. i can't get angry at a company that doesn't have a sale. would i like one? you bet! but it is what it is.