Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-16-2017, 11:26 AM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1,163 Likes on 497 Posts
Default How do you what level stamper you are?

Hi everyone,

This maybe a dummy what? How do you what level stamper you are? I have be stamping awhile now. But people ask level are I don't how to answer that questions. So my question is to how do find out what what level stamper I am? I don't won't to go to classes.

For me I think depends on the topic or techniques. I don't if that true with everyone?

Is there some test or savvy to take? without going to class? I trying to figure out in different stamp categories. Where I am so I know where to pick up on stamping learning a long with techniques. I am not good with techniques. So need work there!

But, with stamping I not sure what categories. I would fall in to either. But with being say renumber. I am handicapped I do a lot brain planting, if you well let me say it that way. And my mom is my hands.

I am just wondering about this so I asking here, please chime in with your thoughts on this. You not going to upset me!!! Thanks Linda
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 12:55 PM   #2  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Interesting question! I don't think there is a test! but this is about art, creativity and freedom of expression so I would say there are no true 'levels' of stamping.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....even the first image a new stamper stamps is beautiful because it is creating something unique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 01:05 PM   #3  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

The only place I really see people talk about this is stuff like beginner/intermediate/advanced classes for stuff like copic coloring.

There are a number of things that start out basic and get more complicated over time-you build up. Sometimes it is just really more going sideways-not harder but equal. There are some things that just are what they are. You get that, you mastered it.

People who just started out will call themselves newbies. People who are doing it 20 years can still say they never tried something.

How fast you move forward depends on the person. One person may have 10 hours a week to do it and another might have 2. One person might have some natural talents another person has to work to gain. Some people might only like to do one technique and never do any others. So they might be advanced in the one but beginner in all the others. And I could call myself advanced while someone else thinks I am not! LOL

It's very subjective. There is no "normal" rate of progression. Everyone goes at their own speed. Dont forget-there is an artistic element to this. It isnt just "kapunk" stamp and you are done. That takes what it takes. Some people struggle with layouts forever (raising hand). So I could do every technique there is but if I cant lay it out-it isnt going to do me a lot of good right?

I dont know of any formal system one would judge this by and I would seriously question it if I did. Who is to say heat embossing is more advanced than doing paste on stencils (or whatever)?

You sounds a little concerned about it? I would not worry myself about it at all. ((hugs)) If someone asks you that, you can say you have been doing it for awhile. If they press, say you really enjoy it, and like everyone else, we keep learning new things all the time and the great thing is that it is likely you will keeping learning forever which is one thing that keeps it fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Or what Jukie said so much better and shorter! LOL.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Hey Jukie

That is very True about the eye of the beholder. or even new stamper. I am not trying sound that at all. Just trying figure out, where I am in stamps world! Because I do watch a lot youth Tube videos, And I am kind lost in my learning. I love learning about things I don't know about or things I didn't know you could do. I hope that's will happen on this thread. And teacher or person/friend And will discovered something new.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jukieView Post
Interesting question! I don't think there is a test! but this is about art, creativity and freedom of expression so I would say there are no true 'levels' of stamping.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.....even the first image a new stamper stamps is beautiful because it is creating something unique.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 01:47 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well than how can you say or advanced stamped? Or what make you said that. I am try Hypocritical, That the part tying figure out for me so I will know myself LOL? And I am not You sounds a little concerned about it. Just trying figure out where learning processed, I don't really good teacher/ couch become learning here on scs and YouTube. If, will allowed me too say that!

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
The only place I really see people talk about this is stuff like beginner/intermediate/advanced classes for stuff like copic coloring.

There are a number of things that start out basic and get more complicated over time-you build up. Sometimes it is just really more going sideways-not harder but equal. There are some things that just are what they are. You get that, you mastered it.

People who just started out will call themselves newbies. People who are doing it 20 years can still say they never tried something.

How fast you move forward depends on the person. One person may have 10 hours a week to do it and another might have 2. One person might have some natural talents another person has to work to gain. Some people might only like to do one technique and never do any others. So they might be advanced in the one but beginner in all the others. And I could call myself advanced while someone else thinks I am not! LOL

It's very subjective. There is no "normal" rate of progression. Everyone goes at their own speed. Dont forget-there is an artistic element to this. It isnt just "kapunk" stamp and you are done. That takes what it takes. Some people struggle with layouts forever (raising hand). So I could do every technique there is but if I cant lay it out-it isnt going to do me a lot of good right?

I dont know of any formal system one would judge this by and I would seriously question it if I did. Who is to say heat embossing is more advanced than doing paste on stencils (or whatever)?

You sounds a little concerned about it? I would not worry myself about it at all. ((hugs)) If someone asks you that, you can say you have been doing it for awhile. If they press, say you really enjoy it, and like everyone else, we keep learning new things all the time and the great thing is that it is likely you will keeping learning forever which is one thing that keeps it fun
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 02:34 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the big danger with "techniques" is in thinking you have to have them all at your fingertips, for immediate use. No one does - except perhaps those stars in the crafting firmament who do this all day long for a living and so they have to know nearly everything. (Unless you're Tim Holtz, and everything you do is so different from what everyone else does that you're kind of in your own category.)

Here's how you learn - something looks interesting to you, so you get the stuff to try it. Then, if it's fun to do, you keep doing it even if you aren't very good at it at first, and so you get better and better at it and then it becomes part of your "toolbox".

If it isn't fun, you don't worry about it, you move on to the next thing that sparks your interest.

My problem is that I get interested in too many techniques at once. I have to try hard to say "No, I want to learn/improve THIS and stick with it. But my attention wanders...

I am surprised that anyone would actually ask you (or anyone else) what level of crafter they were! What does that even mean?

Last edited by Rachelrose; 06-16-2017 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 02:57 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks Robin,
you seen know doing Lol you trouble"techniques" No way seem have together Lol. Okay I have another questions for later and task. Not post it here tho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I think the big danger with "techniques" is in thinking you have to have them all at your fingertips, for immediate use. No one does - except perhaps those stars in the crafting firmament who do this all day long for a living and so they have to know nearly everything. (Unless you're Tim Holtz, and everything you do is so different from what everyone else does that you're kind of in your own category.)

Here's how you learn - something looks interesting to you, so you get the stuff to try it. Then, if it's fun to do, you keep doing it even if you aren't very good at it at first, and so you get better and better at it and then it becomes part of your "toolbox".

If it isn't fun, you don't worry about it, you move on to the next thing that sparks your interest.

My problem is that I get interested in too many techniques at once. I have to try hard to say "No, I want to learn/improve THIS and stick with it. But my attention wanders...

I am surprised that anyone would actually ask you (or anyone else) what level of crafter they were! What does that even mean?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #9  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
Thanks Robin,
you seen know doing Lol you trouble"techniques" No way seem have together Lol. Okay I have another questions for later and task. Not post it here tho.
HA! I don't feel that way at all. Whenever I upload a card to my gallery, I never even bother with the difficulty level rating, since all my cards feel like a 5, even though someone else could make them in two hours. And I struggle for days! I never feel like I know what I am doing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-16-2017, 08:56 PM   #10  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am glad to hear you are not concerned. People can fall into that trap of "I will never be an expert". Or get insecure from what others say to them.

But that isnt a real thing. People can have expert level skills-like be an incredible colorer or painter etc etc.

But as Jukie said-there is the half that is art and that-that has NO levels to it at all. No two birds fly exactly the same way-but both get where they are going, and both look graceful doing it. Same thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2017, 05:17 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotwheelsView Post
Well than how can you say or advanced stamped? Or what make you said that. I am try Hypocritical, That the part tying figure out for me so I will know myself LOL? And I am not You sounds a little concerned about it. Just trying figure out where learning processed, I don't really good teacher/ couch become learning here on scs and YouTube. If, will allowed me too say that!
I have never had a coach or a teacher. I stamp alone and always have. I have watched many YouTube videos and posted a gazillion questions here on the forum. I have taken some of the classes at Online Card Classes but most of them were not "live" interactive classes, I simply watched the videos on my own.

What I'm saying is that you don't really need to take classes or go to crops in order to progress in crafting. I think a lot of us learned much of what we know just as I have. Watching videos and posting here on the forum!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2017, 11:49 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I go to annual stamp retreat that is advertised for intermediate stampers. The reason is that the instructors do not teach basic stamping techniques. The classes are fast tracked so to be able to stay on track the participants must be able to make the projects with limited instructions on basic stamping so they can follow the instructions on how to make the project. IMHO I would classify an intermediate stamper as someone who:

Knows how to apply ink to a stamp and knows a few workarounds when inking isn't working
Knows how to read a ruler and can figure out dimensions
Has basic knowledge of different methods of coloring (markers, watercolor, pencils)
Knows about different kinds of paper (cardstock, vellum, watercolor papers, scrapbook paper, etc.) and how the paper reacts with different techniques
Understands inks (dye, pigment, etc.)
Has tried a variety of techniques
Understands adhesives (glue, dbl stick tape, etc.)

At this retreat I've seen beginning stampers have melt downs because they couldn't keep up. I'm always sorry for them because they don't have a great experience at such a wonderful event.

Advanced stampers are the ones that have tried darn near everything. It doesn't mean they are good at everything, it just means that they try, experiment, and have big o' bag of tricks to make it work.

In the long run it doesn't matter if a stamper is a newbie or been around the stamp pad a few times. What matters is that they enjoy the experience and we make things that make us happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2017, 06:01 AM   #13  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I go to annual stamp retreat that is advertised for intermediate stampers. The reason is that the instructors do not teach basic stamping techniques. The classes are fast tracked so to be able to stay on track the participants must be able to make the projects with limited instructions on basic stamping so they can follow the instructions on how to make the project. IMHO I would classify an intermediate stamper as someone who:

Knows how to apply ink to a stamp and knows a few workarounds when inking isn't working
Knows how to read a ruler and can figure out dimensions
Has basic knowledge of different methods of coloring (markers, watercolor, pencils)
Knows about different kinds of paper (cardstock, vellum, watercolor papers, scrapbook paper, etc.) and how the paper reacts with different techniques
Understands inks (dye, pigment, etc.)
Has tried a variety of techniques
Understands adhesives (glue, dbl stick tape, etc.)

At this retreat I've seen beginning stampers have melt downs because they couldn't keep up. I'm always sorry for them because they don't have a great experience at such a wonderful event.

Advanced stampers are the ones that have tried darn near everything. It doesn't mean they are good at everything, it just means that they try, experiment, and have big o' bag of tricks to make it work.

In the long run it doesn't matter if a stamper is a newbie or been around the stamp pad a few times. What matters is that they enjoy the experience and we make things that make us happy.
I believe this is the answer you are looking for. It gives some guidelines as to what an intermediate stamper can do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

I found that list very interesting! Yes, it makes sense, there are some basic things you have to get under your belt when you are a newbie. This kind of says it all. A good list for a someone just starting out to keep in mind when wondering what to work towards.

Thanks, stamphappy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #15  
Cardstock Collector

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Stamphappy1650. When I take a class and it says intermediate I know that the pace will be faster and they won't take the time to explain basics such as how to "layer", how to use the trimmer, what the basic measurements of the A-2 card is, etc. Terminology and basic skills are assumed in this type of setting. As an example my sister has stamped for many years and is definitely not a "beginner" but will sometimes get overwhelmed at the pace of the intermediate class because it is much faster than she normally stamps. This designation is to help the teacher as much as it is to help the student decide on the type of class to take. If you are doing something in a self-study situation and it is labeled "intermediate" you can usually make it through the class at your own pace. You can replay it or stop and get a technique down before you go on. Advanced is for the class on particular techniques that may take skill to develop. Again, it helps the teacher know the level of student she is teaching and not so much a matter of are you crafting 12 hours a day or 12 hours a month. Please don't let a "label" determine your artistic ability. A "Newbie" can easily take an intermediate class and do well in it. it just depends on the person, the setting and the determination of the individual.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2017, 04:36 AM   #16  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have taken classes where it quickly becomes clear that I will not be able to keep up on the creating part so I have learned to just pay attention and take notes. Instructors usually include too much content in a live class and they are too short on time for most. I too get frustrated that I cannot keep up, but...usually, the materials and notes make for a great learning when I get home and can complete the project on my own time. It is all a practice process which is advancing my skills. I like to take classes annually, to see what is new, new ways to do things and what products might work for me. I go to a local convention for 2-3 days and take classes that will showcase a new method or product that I have interest in. I can add or practice this new skill by watching videos later down the road.

Eloise
Reply With Quote Likes