Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-25-2017, 12:28 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do you finish the inside of your cards?

Most of my card making life I have either left the card blank (so they can pass it on) or hand written "happy birthday" or an appropriate salutation. I am now at a point where I would really like to "finish" the inside of the card. I see a few "peeks" and that is what started this idea. So, how do you finish the insides of your cards? Add a layer and stamp just the sentiment? Add a layer, stamp a sentiment and "frame" it with an image from the outside? Just add a layer with so images from the front and then add a sentiment as needed?
Mahalo to all of you for the sharing of your lovely cards and here in the forum. I love the inspiration!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 12:43 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I also leave them blank. I sell a lot of cards and find it easier to leave for the buyer to have the freedom to write. Maybe I am also a bit lazy ... ;) I love the peeks I see of what others do though so pretty.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 01:00 PM   #3  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually don't finish the insides, though sometimes if I have a very dark card base, I will cut a piece of computer paper down to 4 x 5.25 run a strip of adhesive across the top only, and stick that in. I don't use sentiments inside my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 01:13 PM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I usually don't finish the insides, though sometimes if I have a very dark card base, I will cut a piece of computer paper down to 4 x 5.25 run a strip of adhesive across the top only, and stick that in. I don't use sentiments inside my cards.
Yes I also put white paper inside so it's easier to see for writing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 01:36 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

I leave the inside mostly blank, but do add an element or two to coordinate with the front. Adding stamped images and/or a border matching the front are quick additions, and I feel my cards look finished.
A Cardmaking Journey in Progress
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 03:22 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Most of my card making life the insides were blank. If it was a darker base I would add a layer of white or vanilla card stock inside.
I've always written my notes or greetings directly inside the card. It never occurred to me that anyone would want to reuse a card I made.
It's only been the last 3 years or so that I've started stamping on the inside. Usually just the lower right corner will have a stamped image from the front of the card.
At Christmas, if I have the right sentiment I may stamp a greeting inside too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 03:44 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I always adhere a piece of card-stock on the inside and leave a 1/4" border of the base card visible. Typically I use heavyweight white card-stock. It gives a nice sturdy weight to the over-all card. If I'm sending it to someone special (aka - who will appreciate it more than some others, lol) instead of using white, I will use one of the accent colors from the front of the card for the inside panel of the card. If the card has a specific occasion on it - like if it's clearly a birthday card, or a sympathy card... then I'll stamp a nice saying inside or a simple sentiment. If it's more of a card that can be used for a variety of reasons - which is what I tend to make - I leave it blank. I make multiples of all my cards and keep plenty on hand, so whenever I need a card to give, I just add whatever sentiment I want or need it to say at that moment. I like to use colored ink for the sentiments inside and I usually use the color of the base of the card. I always stamp an an image on the inside too - in the lower right corner - that coordinates with the stamp set I used on the front of the card. I use that same image on the front of the envelope too. It's a little preview of what is to come when they get it in the mail. The whole card w/ the envelope has a cohesive feel to it.

When I used to sell cards and they were blank on the inside, I would always bring a stamp set with a variety of sentiments with me - which allowed me to quickly add a specific sentiment on the inside if a customer knew what they wanted to use it for.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 04:17 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Mahalo to you all! Now I'm thinking I "need" to decorate the envelope too!! LOL!! Love all the answers and am glad I'm not the only one who typically leaves it blank. . . I have had a number of people "re-card" my cards to those they know need a lift. . .The first card I send someone I usually tell them to please re-use the card if they'd like. One friend used them for the nurses and other helpers when she was in treatment for cancer. She said it was hard to let go of them but was worth the smiles. . . My Mom was offended for me when a friend of hers "re-carded" a card I gave her, until I told her that was whole idea. . . then she was pleased for me. Kind of nice. . . ;0)
Mahalo all for your input, now off to "finish" the inside with at least a blank slate and coordinating image if not a sentiment. . . Enjoy some stamping time and may God bless!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 05:35 PM   #9  
Hardware Hotshot

i almost always add a white layer inside and I've always stamped a sentiment inside. I usually stamp sonething on the envelope too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 05:53 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is an off-shoot to your post about your cards being re-carded.... My own friends and family sometimes send me my own hand-made cards in the mail for my birthday or for the holidays. I always get a chuckle when I see one of my own cards/envelopes in my mailbox or in a gift bag for me. Does anyone send you your own cards too? Lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2017, 06:59 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Haven't yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Catherine773View Post
This is an off-shoot to your post about your cards being re-carded.... My own friends and family sometimes send me my own hand-made cards in the mail for my birthday or for the holidays. I always get a chuckle when I see one of my own cards/envelopes in my mailbox or in a gift bag for me. Does anyone send you your own cards too? Lol.
Do they realize it's yours?? What a chuckle if they don't! So far I haven't gotten one of mine back. . . I have wondered if it might happen though! How fun to get one back. I sometimes see cards displayed at a friends house and think, that's really a nice card, then realize it's mine!! LOL!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2017, 05:17 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have always put a white insert with a computer-generated message. I have some very pretty fonts and I can personalize what I want to say and still have it look clean and finished.

This is especially important for me since most of my cards have no sentiments on the front. I like to make all-purpose notecards, then when I need one for someone I just pick the card I think suits them and create the appropriate insert.

There have been one or two people who I would send cards to blank, with the message written on a post-it note and an additional envelope included because I knew they would re-use the card. But most of the people I send to are not interested in re-using.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 358 Likes on 197 Posts

I cut white or vanilla cardstock to layer on the inside. Sometimes I round the corners or use a die to scallop or trim out the edges. I stamp sentiment inside and add some stamping (small, coordinating theme stamp) on the inside. I sign and date the back of the card and again stamp a small flower, heart , etc. to the back. I sometimes stamp a scripture or quote on the inside (left - back of the front) if I have something that is fitting to the person or occasion. I only leave the inside blank if I am making an actual notecard and plan to write a personal note inside. And, I often stamp a small something on the envelope.
I don't know that any of my friends or family re-use my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2017, 07:53 AM   #14  
Insane Embellisher

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

If the card itself is colored I always put a white or vanilla piece inside......sometimes a half sheet cut down a quarter inch or an eighth of an inch on all sides or sometimes a full "lining" that is just a bit smaller. If I stamp on the inside I use an element from the front of the card.........if using die cuts I will sometimes make a stencil from one of them and use a dauber to color it on the inside of the card. Can give a nice soft feel that can be in one or two corners and/or done very lightely so that words can be stamped over it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2017, 10:57 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

When I'm at thrift stores, I keep an eye out for little note papers. Sometimes they are in a cute box or can even be something like a larger post-it note. That's what I put inside my cards and usually just put adhesive on top. I might use a my border punches to make a bunch of borders for the bottom edge of the inside.

Sometimes I just have to stop adding things to the inside. The fronts are done but I still need to putz with the card and end up putting too many things on them! I'm trying to CAS my cards but it's hard! LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2017, 12:56 PM   #16  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Yes, CAS is harder. . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dorie95View Post
When I'm at thrift stores, I keep an eye out for little note papers. Sometimes they are in a cute box or can even be something like a larger post-it note. That's what I put inside my cards and usually just put adhesive on top. I might use a my border punches to make a bunch of borders for the bottom edge of the inside.

Sometimes I just have to stop adding things to the inside. The fronts are done but I still need to putz with the card and end up putting too many things on them! I'm trying to CAS my cards but it's hard! LOL!
I too have to "stop" at some point. . . I like the more elaborate cards but then it gets pricey to mail, and you never know if it will make it in good shape. . . I am trying to go CAS and more bold/rich colors. I like your idea of adding some note papers inside. Mahalo!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #17  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

99% of my card bases are either colored or textured cs ( or both) so, I tend to grab a thin ( 80#) piece of either white or cream (whichever blends better) to line the inside. sometimes I may layer some print under that but, it is mostly plain cardstock to have a smooth writing surface and or to counter balance what ever the front may weigh.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2017, 04:47 AM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

It depends, sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, but here's some food for thought (or at least it is/was for me)... a few years ago, when I thought I might make cards to sell, I asked several neighbors to choose their favorites from a bunch I'd made (you know, market research and all that ... they're in the age range where they actually send cards, but none of them are interested in making them... seemed like an ideal group to consider), a comment by one in particular was that the cards felt 'lopsided' when the front had a few layers but the back was 'so lightweight'.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2017, 04:51 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Interesting. How did you remedy that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2017, 05:07 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Interesting. How did you remedy that?
I use GK's heavyweight CS as a base now, if I'm using a white base (my usual base color), and I pay more attention to the 'heft' of the front and back. If I'm using a color base, it's easy to add a white layer inside. and honestly, sometimes I just figure the stunning result of the card can outshine any 'lopsidedness', lol! I'll also add that taken as a whole, this group wants a bit larger card (than the typical A2) and wants to pay Hallmark prices ... and so ended my interests in making cards to sell. LOL!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2017, 05:40 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Yes, I switched away to a heavyweight stock very early on. I like some of SUs colors, and keep them in for layers, but I do layered card fronts, and always felt the SU cardstock was not quite heavy enough to offset it when used as a base. I know lots of people love SU for bases, especially since they can match everything else to it so well - it just didn't work for me. I use mostly PTI, just because I love the colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

Received 807 Likes on 528 Posts

I always have a liner in my cards. I usually stamp a little image or use a thin piece of coordinating DP along one of the sides of the liner.

I almost never stamp a sentiment in my cards; I usually have it on the outside.

Check out Forest Ranger's gallery/blog - the inside of her cards are just as gorgeous as the outside :p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 02:57 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I either just stamp a sentiment on the inside such as happy birthday, best wishes etc or I stamp it onto a piece of card and then diecut it and mat it up using either patterned paper or cardstock to match the front of the card.
Have a look at AmyR's cards from about 5 yrs ago. That's where I got the inspiration to do this.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 03:17 AM   #24  
Compulsive Stamper

I likewise leave most of them blank. However I do put in a piece of blank white paper and add some element of the card in it to tie it all together. Also on the envelope.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 05:30 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

If you make your card so someone can "regift" it, How are they supposed to mail it when they likely won't have that size envelope? Are you just assuming it will be a hand delivered card?

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 06:00 AM   #26  
Cardstock Collector

I have computer generated messages just slightly smaller than the outside base which I attach with a small piece of adhesive so it can be removed and the card re-gifted if desired. I have several messages in each category already printed up so I can add the appropriate one very quickly when I need a card in a hurry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 06:05 AM   #27  
Inking Addict

I must be a bit different...I always have a sentiment or 2 inside to coordinate with the front. If it's a birthday card it is a birthday sentiment., etc. Only note cards are left blank, or sometimes a thinking of you line is stamped. I decorate the insides, too. I have started adding a plain cardstock piece and wrote my message on that so the card can be reused, too. So many great ideas, here! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #28  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by tigerlily55View Post
If you make your card so someone can "regift" it, How are they supposed to mail it when they likely won't have that size envelope? Are you just assuming it will be a hand delivered card?
I fold an extra envie in half and put it in with the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 08:11 AM   #29  
Glitter Guru

Received 100 Likes on 93 Posts

Well I go with what the card asks me to do...no not crazy psychic stuff...you all know you look at a card and think this needs...or I would add...so that's what I do...it could be a sentiment inside..a coordinating stamp...an embellishment or...maybe needs nothing other than a light colored blank layer inside

P.S. I have done many swaps and a pet peeve is no inside layer on cards made with dark card stock so the card is not "ready to go"...When I want to use the card or donate it I have to put a layer of lighter card stock inside...can be frustrating...IMHO
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 08:59 AM   #30  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My least favorite thing to do once finishing my card front is decorating/ writing a sentiment on the inside. I'm always ready to get on with my next project that's rolling around in my head. But, I do decorate and write on the inside. I send my cards to family and friends but I also sell them. I find that most people aren't buying the blank cards. I'll make a few bland ones if I really can't figure out what category they should fall under. I spent many years as a card buyer for a shop. At one time, someone had requested more blank cards but I found they didn't sell as quickly as the others.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 09:34 AM   #31  
Cardstock Collector

Because most of the cards I make are to send out personally I don't put the message inside until I am ready to send the card. In this way I can choose a message that is appropriate to the receiver . Then I add a personal line or two in addition to the preprinted verse. I send a lot of cards so often make several of the same design but the verse will differ depending on the person getting it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #32  
Embossing Fanatic

Default Re-Gifting

Quote:

When I send cards to be re-gifted it is because they are going to relatives that have no transportation and are impoverished. They still like to give cards to their friends that visit, their children, their husbands and etc. I like to make sure they have something available to give them by hand. I put a sticky note inside with my personal greeting for the person I am sending it to. I do stamp sentiments inside, mostly Birthday Greetings and uplifting sentiments so they will be more like "Store Bought" when they are re-gifted.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually try to coordinate a short sentiment on the front with a longer sentiment inside. I make cards for specific people and do not sell them. Since getting my Cricut Air 2, I often write sentiments with the Cricut. Sometimes I write in the card base and sometimes on a shape that I glue into the card. I have also added thin folded liners that can easily be removed for reuse.

I live on the Big Island too! So exciting to see another card maker from home.

Last edited by vestamc; 03-29-2017 at 10:10 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 10:17 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=pigtail1;21441466]Well I go with what the card asks me to do...no not crazy psychic stuff...you all know you look at a card and think this needs...or I would add...so that's what I do...it could be a sentiment inside..a coordinating stamp...an embellishment or...maybe needs nothing other than a light colored blank layer inside

Ahhh...I know I'm talking with my tribe when I can say - That danged card kept changing its mind on me! and know you all understand! LOLOL. My husband just looks at me funny when I say that...

Most of my cards have inside sayings, but I sell mine, and except for notecards, my customers expect my line to have an inside greeting. Often there is a liner, especially if the outside front is heavy with layers. I use #110 as card base, so SU which is generally #80 is layering cardstock weight for me. The inside may also have a light stamp that coordinates with the outside, and/or a die cut character/shape glued in...a strip of cardstock along an edge...to finish off. On rare occasions, I finish envelopes, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 10:29 AM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I try to do the inside too, & I don't sell my cards. Unless I just want to send a short note to a friend on the inside of the card. My friends like to display them, so more often than not, I stamp a sentiment, because not everyone needs to know what we talk about. LOL But, for dark cards, like the other ladies, it just needs an inside, I use lighter card stock, not always white. I also love to layer on the inside. AND for Challenges, unless they call for the inside to be done, I don't do an inside. My insides range from stamping an image with the sentiment, sometimes a die cut, sometimes a left over piece of designer paper to match. It just varies on the card & what seems to happen in the process!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 12:17 PM   #36  
Embossing Fanatic

So interesting to hear the different ideas! I always add a sentiment to a card, unless it is meant to be a note card. The extra layer inside is only added on colored cs bases. BTW SU now has a "heavy" white! I am just learning to add images, etc. to the inside and the envelope. It is all fun and challenging!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Thanks. That's what I thought. I didn't know if someone has a different, creative or cutsie way of doing it. I don't know what that might be though. :smile:

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 12:19 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Thanks. That's what I thought. I didn't know if someone has a different, creative or cutsie way of doing it. I don't know what that might be though. :smile:

Sorry I can't get this duplicate post to delete.

Last edited by tigerlily55; 03-29-2017 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: Duplicate post
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I usually don't have anything on the front like thinking of you or etc. I also do a computer generated message and make it personal to who is getting the card on a white piece of card stock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2017, 01:20 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Re- carded cards

Yes, I assume they are had delivered. Most of them have extra note card envelopes hanging around too. And it isn't too hard to hand make one. . .

Quote:

Reply With Quote Likes