Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help! Korean insight needed!

My Korean neighbors had their 12-year-old handicapped son pass away due to a choking accident over the weekend. I barely knew them, as did anyone in our newly-built neighborhood. They are friendly but have kept to themselves and there is a language barrier.

I would like to take up a collection among the neighbors and purchase some sort of a token of our sympathy for the family. I will also be making a card to give to them at that time. They are leaving to go back to Korea today, so I have some time before they are back.

Can anyone with some insight into Korean culture tell me what would or would not be appropriate for the gift and the card? I am at a loss and would love suggestions.

Thanks in advance,

Christine
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How sad for your neighbors. My DH is Korean, and his Mother lived with us for several years. She loved receiving fruit, and would always bring a piece of fruit to a friends house when invited. Perhaps a nice fruit basket would be something they would appreciate. It is sweet of you to want to do this for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Googled a bit and found that money in a white envelope is considered to be a kind gift as is a kind letter of sympathy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 02:53 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

So sad to hear about something like this. I'm glad that money is acceptable to give. Your neighbors could probably use it since they have to take an unplanned trip back to Korea.

And good for you for doing this. I'm sure that kindness and sympathy is appreciated in any language.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-07-2011, 07:13 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I have been away from the computer since I posted, and during that time I found out that money in an envelope would be exactly the right thing to do.

We were also thinking of giving a small bouquet of flowers at the same time we delivered the envelope, but I really like the fruit idea too so I may do that instead. Thank you for your replies, it is comforting to know we are on the right track. I knew some of the kind people on SCS would have wonderful suggestions.

Christine
Reply With Quote Likes