Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halloween Stuff Already...Geez

So on my search for tacky stuff this morning I was walking around Michaels and kept hearing this weird noise. Could not believe my eyes when I got to the back of this store.....they had out all of their halloween "houses", you know the ones that make weird noices and light up. My God it is the middle of the summer, pretty soon they will be putting out Christmas stuff after Easter.

Debby
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

They have fall/Halloween stuff at Hobby Lobby, too! Plus I saw about 5-6 rows of CHRISTMAS stuff! Come on! I couldn't even look at it, it just made me sad..... Not that I don't love Christmas, but jeepers like you said it is only July! Give me a break! :rolleyes: I don't even want to think about Christmas, snow or anything like that! I want to enjoy the moment and for the moment it is the middle of summer!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

I feel really bad for the employees that have to listen to all that noise during their work day. It's hard enough stocking shelves and coping with irate customers, much less getting cackled at by an animated witch! LOL!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #4  
Kookie Creator

I know! I was in Michael's last week when they were stocking some of that stuff and just shook my head.

From a crafter's perspective, though, if you're making items for Halloween (especially cosutmes/big decorations), it's nice to be able to start early and have those supplies available when you need them. I, however, tend to fall into the wait-until-the-last-minute-and-be-totally-overwhelmed category.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by deshacraftsView Post
So on my search for tacky stuff this morning I was walking around Michaels and kept hearing this weird noise. Could not believe my eyes when I got to the back of this store.....they had out all of their halloween "houses", you know the ones that make weird noices and light up. My God it is the middle of the summer, pretty soon they will be putting out Christmas stuff after Easter.
Oh yeah, I went to Michael's on Saturday and I was supprised to see Hallowing things, I was like: It's beginning of JULY!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 11:11 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

It's already Christmas at my local Hobby Lobby!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 11:42 AM   #7  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

I was surprised last week as well! But if I was organized, I can see why they try to get to the people who do their stuff ahead of time...but I am like so many others! I will be doing halloween in October! I just cannot get in the mood when it is 100 degrees outside!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 11:43 AM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Yuck! I'm still enjoying the summer and definitely not ready to think about Halloween and Christmas (although I do have a few gifts tucked away already- LOL).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Yay! I love the Halloween and Christmas stuff out!!! Sorry, I guess I'm the only one! I think it is a great idea to have that out as people need to make things for craft fairs in the fall/early winter. I, however, do not make things for craft fairs, but I have friends that do. I do like to make a lot of my gifts, so the earlier the better. Sorry to all of you that aren't like me! I DO feel bad for the employees though....it is one thing to run in and pick up a few things, and an entirely different thing to listen to it for 8 hours a day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 12:49 PM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

I was at Hobby Looby 2 weeks BEFORE Fathers Day, and they were clearing an isile(sp?) for Christmas decorations! Now I understand that they can't wait until Dec to start putting this crap out but come on....who in the heck is really buying this stuff in late may? I remember getting agitated when it was put out before Thanksgiving, then Halloween, now Fathers day? No wonder my Christmas joy is gone by Oct.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 01:21 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Well, keep in mind that some crafters are heavy into craft shows and need to get supplies and creating for them. so, I'm not shocked to see it.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 01:56 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by chickers089View Post
Well, keep in mind that some crafters are heavy into craft shows and need to get supplies and creating for them. so, I'm not shocked to see it.
That is what I was thinking too. We have alot of craft shows around here and to get ready for them, it makes sense. I think what makes me shake my head is that school just got out and the back to school aisle is being set right now. But, when I go back to work Monday, I will more than likely get what I can, even though I don't have a supply list yet.:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 02:32 PM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 317 Likes on 203 Posts

It's a long time until the next holiday - and Labor Day is not a big crafter's event around here. My guess is they have tons of stuff in storage and dragged it out to try and stimulate sales. Not a bad business idea, but I too find the winter holidays ''overdone'' by the time they arrive each year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Your telling me! When I go to work that is the first thing I hear! LOL! We were originally supposed to get the Halloween shipments around the first of Aug. but they bumped it up a month. We only have the Spooky Town LeMax and maybe a handful of other Halloween stuff but I know the rest is coming! The people that like that stuff are excited because they can buy them now for cheaper with a coupon then when they start going on sale. We are actually almost out of a few things! We don't keep seasonal stuff in storage, so it was a quick transiton. One day I went to work and the next day they had appeared! Just like magic! :mrgreen: We haven't heard yet when the Christmas stuff is coming! Hopefully it will be awhile! LOL!
---------
Caren
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 04:42 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Well Halloween is my favorite holiday. All fun and without the family drama, kwim? I actually bought some more Halloween stamps recently and bought some dp on sale at Cord Camera. Planning an early start on my Halloween cards and crafts. Christmas? I can wait on that. It reminds me of snow and I don't like snow!

My Blog

Visit My Garden
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 06:08 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrina+2View Post
It's already Christmas at my local Hobby Lobby!

Mine too! If you ask me that is just nuts! I can't believe they already have Christmas stuff on the shelves. Imagine if you worked there and had to look at it every day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #17  
Hardware Hotshot

Welcome to the world of retail! Too many years ago I worked in retail and used to dread coming to work wearing wool suits (was encouraged to wear the winter suits we were featuring) in July and August!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #18  
Stazon Splitcoast

We were visiting my InLaws the last week of June and they already had Christmas out at HL there. I was shocked!

Be Yourself ~ Everyone else is taken ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Haahaa yeah I was in Michaels today and I was like "HOLY COW Halloween Stuff already!!!"" LOL and the little halloween houses were so loud!! I do love the little potion bottles, I got a bunch last year, they are very funny and cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 04:52 AM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampaholic17View Post
Well Halloween is my favorite holiday. All fun and without the family drama, kwim? I actually bought some more Halloween stamps recently and bought some dp on sale at Cord Camera. Planning an early start on my Halloween cards and crafts. Christmas? I can wait on that. It reminds me of snow and I don't like snow!
Hehe! I am the same way. I LOVE Halloween ---I also buy Halloween stuff all year from Ebay and other internet sites. I get all excited to see Halloween stuff popping up in the stores. If you are creepy like me, you can use some of this stuff all year round, hehe.

I don't really celebrate Christmas and it's not my favorite holiday (though I know it is for some..I'm not knocking it!). --- One thing I do welcome about the Christmas stuff coming in early is all the bling! Besides stamping, I also make altered art and it is fun to use all the glitzy stuff. (Mirrorball globes anyone?!) Also, I use Christmas lights all year round and make ornaments for other holidays out of the glass balls. (Orange, black and green alcohol inks on white Christmas balls make fun Halloween decorations!)

I guess overall, I don't mind the holiday decorations coming out early, whenever. It's better than all those cheap summer project kits wasting shelf space at Michael's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 05:15 AM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

I personally don't think it's too early for Halloween, I already put some Halloween stuff for sale in my Etsy shop

But our Hobby Lobby already has about 1/4 of the store filled with Christmas stuff, that's WAY too early!!

check out my blog at: www.PisforPaper.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 05:21 AM   #22  
Stampin' Fool

I don't mind the decorations being put out so early, as much as the Halloween candy already on display at the grocery store. Seems like it'd be stale after two months of waiting for the holiday to roll around. Guess you could freeze til then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 06:45 AM   #23  
Gabfest Goddess

If I were as organized and ahead of the game as I was before having kids, I would have no problem with the Halloween, Christmas stuff, etc. out so early. I used to work on projects way ahead of time and be all done long before the holiday/event actually arrived. Then I had kids. Now, everything seems to be last minute and it drives me totally up the wall. You can't go into any store and get stuff when you need it because it's already been on sale and clearanced out. I needed a new swimsuit about a month ago - couldn't find one (at least not one that I would remotely be interested in wearing). The only stuff they had out was all the stuff nobody else wanted either - and that's if they had any summer stuff anyway. By the time I finally get around to working on any holiday stamping projects (usually last minute), none of the stores have anything. They've either been sold out of those supplies for ages or they've cleared that stuff out completely and already have several holidays ahead stuff out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 07:09 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Send a message via Skype™ to mrs_hawkins

It's not just the craft stores. I went to Sam's Club yesterday and they have all their Halloween stuff out, too. Candy included.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 08:57 AM   #25  
Die Cut Diva

I was down to Indy this last week and went into HL and bought some Thanksgiving decorations on sale for 50/ off, so was all the Christmas things. Stamps and all brads, paper just about everything. WOW I had fun shopping! I have never seen such a sale!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 02:52 PM   #26  
Matboard Maniac

We think Halloween is far away...but it's not. I have such a vivid memory of telling my youngest daughter who asked in April when Halloween was that Halloween was 6 months away (and when I said it, it seemed like it was a long time off). I swear it felt I had just said that to her when Halloween came around. How could six months go by so quickly? Time is FLYING!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 02:57 PM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

I know, it's pretty amazing. Here we are in the middle of a hot summer when all the fall and winter clothes are out..

Bonnie
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 03:19 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They wouldn't do it if they didn't make money that way.... Like putting out Halloween candy early knowing all the sugar-addicted, and chocoholics will buy it over and over again.lol!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 04:02 PM   #29  
Rubber Obsessor

I worked retail for several years, and I can tell you that we got our fall stuff in June or July. By August we had Christmas stuff. I don't think that many people realize that when they do fashion shows it is for the next year. Example whent they say they had a fall fashion show it is for items for Fall of 2009. It use to drive me crazy, but I do see the logic for those of us who do craft fairs or make most of our gifts for people.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #30  
Crimping Master

Oh I love Halloween!! I am excited to see stuff out early, gives us more time to get stuff we want I did get a bunch of Martha Stewart Halloween stamps/stickers last year 70% off, cant wait to play with them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #31  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by frosted_gorillaView Post
I don't mind the decorations being put out so early, as much as the Halloween candy already on display at the grocery store. Seems like it'd be stale after two months of waiting for the holiday to roll around. Guess you could freeze til then.
Hehe, that's out early so that we can eat pre-Halloween candy while we're making our cool Halloween crafty stuffs! It's mooooood candy.... ;)

I think Milk Duds are tastier some how when they come in teeny tiny boxes...

By the way, your kitty (kitteh!) avatars are so darned cute!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 10:20 AM   #32  
Stampin' Fool

I am soooo ready for fall and Halloween. It has been a long, hot summer!

Remember - never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.
Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-11-2008, 10:25 AM   #33  
PMR
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 607 Likes on 427 Posts

I have ordered and received costumes for 2 of my 3 sons. The oldest is too old! I am so glad to have that done already!

Oh, I started Christmas shopping too, but not my cards!
Reply With Quote Likes