Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-22-2017, 02:45 PM   #1  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gift tags: How *important*are twine, string & ribbon?

I've been asked to make a few hundred (!) gift tags for my church's very first little Holiday Fair in the Fall. These will be in packages of 10 or 12 or 15 with a package topper. I'm not sure how much of a donation will be requested for these, but all the money earned will go our charities.
I do have a few seasonal stamps and can also download free printables. I was gifted some decorative paper, cardstock, embellishments, Stickles, liquid pearls, washi tape etc by a sweet friend so I think I'm good to go for making some simple tags.

When I look in the gallery or online, I notice most gift tags have a hole punched at the top, with twine or string or slender ribbon threaded through it so the tag can be tied onto the gift.

How important is it to have twine or string or ribbon going through the punched hole on the top of the gift tag (because I have none!) ? I figure if a person is wrapping a gift, they could either use tape to affix the tag under their bow maybe, or they could use the ribbon they are using and thread their ribbon through the hole in the tag.

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess in CaliView Post
I've been asked to make a few hundred (!) gift tags for my church's very first little Holiday Fair in the Fall. These will be in packages of 10 or 12 or 15 with a package topper. I'm not sure how much of a donation will be requested for these, but all the money earned will go our charities.
I do have a few seasonal stamps and can also download free printables. I was gifted some decorative paper, cardstock, embellishments, Stickles, liquid pearls, washi tape etc by a sweet friend so I think I'm good to go for making some simple tags.

When I look in the gallery or online, I notice most gift tags have a hole punched at the top, with twine or string or slender ribbon threaded through it so the tag can be tied onto the gift.

How important is it to have twine or string or ribbon going through the punched hole on the top of the gift tag (because I have none!) ? I figure if a person is wrapping a gift, they could either use tape to affix the tag under their bow maybe, or they could use the ribbon they are using and thread their ribbon through the hole in the tag.

Of course, this is just my humble opinion - but so many of the gift tags you can buy do not have string or ribbon on them, or even punched holes for that matter.

I think if your tags are pretty and appealing, especially with Stickles or other bling, you don't need to worry about holes and string and ribbon.

People are so busy at Christmas, and I think tags that have to be tied on are kind of a pain, myself. I usually tape mine to the gifts.

If you decide you do want to do holes and string, be sure to check Hobby Lobby. They have a good selection of that type of thing, and it's always 50% off in the fall before Christmas.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 03:48 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think threading the tag through the ribbon used to tie around the gift or taping it under the bow are both perfectly great ideas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 05:10 PM   #4  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Christmas gift tags are one of my favorite things to make. I don't usually punch holes in mine - I usually just tape them on my package. I think as the creator, you get to decide whether or not you punch holes in your gift tags and include string or ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It wouldn't be super important to me, because I have plenty of stuff to use. Bear in mind, though, that some of the people buying your tags maybe don't have twine or even ribbon, and I think that anything you want to successfully sell (that isn't expressly a kit to assemble something) should generally be ready to use, with no added supplies from the buyer.

So, a couple of suggestions:

1. Closer to the holidays, it's a good bet that Michael's or Target will have something in their dollar bins, like twine, that you can use. (Michael's might even have some now.) If not, Michael's usually has some thin holiday ribbon that's 60% off all season long... Make your tags now, grab a fiber to add later. You can either cut a length for each tag or just tuck in a couple of yards to the package for someone to use if they don't have their own.

2. Make tags with no hole. Get double sided tape with a liner (i.e., redline tape, scor-tape, sookwang tape, etc.) and adhere to the back, but leave the liner on, so they just have to peel and stick!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Emily, I love your idea to add the lined tape to the backs of the tags; this would allow for neater packaging (without the bulkiness if ribbon or fibers).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 06:43 PM   #7  
Compulsive Stamper

Thanks, everyone, for your input and suggestions!

I really do like the idea of just putting some double-sided tape with a liner on the back... in fact, I think DH may have some in the garage! I tell ya, I would not have thought of that myself (and am so glad I really don't have to punch holes if I do it this way)!

Thanks for the ideas about sales and such! Tucking a couple of yards into the packaging for people who may want to use a thin ribbon or twine is a great idea too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2017, 07:38 PM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

If you dont punch holes in them-they don't need string. Nor will anyone be wondering where it is. ;)

But if you did want string....there is a super thin gold thread that I have seen and liked. Comes on spools so lots of it. Check the sewing area/gift wrap in Joanns or any store-Target, etc. There is also the old heavy duty black thread that I could not break if my life depended on it. Another less expensive option. If you do those I would go with a smaller hole. Or clearance yarn. Or curling ribbon-that comes on huge spools. Someone at the church might have yarn they would let go of. Nothing says they have to all match either so you could use yarn remnants. It's fine for them to ask you-but it is also fine you to ask back.

I would expect to cut 8 inch lengths if you want to figure out how many to the X yard. By the time you tie it and of course it is really half the length folded-I would want to have a healthy length to work with-maybe make a bow.

DS tape-perfect solution Emily! I have bought tags (or labels) like that for years so people will "get it".
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 04:24 AM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Is it silly to suggest that that some non-crafter people may not realize there is a backing to pull off? I like the idea of double-sided tape. If I used it I'd include a label on the packet or little note inside that says "remove tape backing to stick to package" or something like that.

If I was just making loose ones (not hundreds!) that wouldn't be packaged, I might stamp it on the back of tags.

If I punched holes I'd include twine or string, but not put it through each tag, just have it in the packet. That's how some tags I've purchased come.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 05:20 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 104 Likes on 81 Posts

I have recently been using up my stash of photo squares with the classes I've been doing for disabled adults. I apply them ahead of class and they remove them when they're ready to put the parts together. I think these would be perfect to use on the back of your tags; and since they have a sort of "tab" on them, it's pretty obvious that they should be peeled. That's as opposed to other double-sided tapes, which mostly don't have a starter "pull".

Here's a picture of what I'm talking about in case it's not clear. I'm pretty sure you can get them with 50% off coupons for about a $1/pack for the 250 count version.
Attached Thumbnails
Gift tags: How *important*are twine, string & ribbon?-040120125199c7ca9c1a9e62d809328abc.jpg  

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 06:22 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Linda, so much better and easier than my make-more-work-for-yourself idea. (I tend to go around the block to get to the front door.) :rolls eyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 07:32 AM   #12  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

you can get DMC embroidery floss pretty cheap too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 08:13 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Another thing you can look up is butcher's cotton twine/cord (sometimes also called cooking twine/cord). It's a thicker twine, but it's neutral in color and you can get quite a bit of it for very cheap. For example: https://www.amazon.com/Koch-5430605-...dp/B004Y74U8I/
That's 420 feet of twine for 5$.

Hope that helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

The photo squares were what I thought of as soon as I read Emily's suggestion to use double-sided tape, so I second what Linda said...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-23-2017, 10:05 AM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

If you do decide to make some of them with fibers and holes... ( 100 of anything is a lot to make them all nearly the same)

when you add fibers you want the length of it to be about 1 1/2 times the length of your tags. ( in case you make different sizes)

I guess you can tell from reading this I get bored easily making the same thing over and over.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I enjoy making tags. When I do, the front is decorative and 1/3 down from the top of the tag, I stamp "To:" and "From:" on the back, leaving space for those of us with larger printing or handwriting. I punch a hole, and add embroidery floss, baker's twine, and/or ribbon to each package. I am generous with that material because I know I always use more than the final product shows. I believe that people can tie their own knot. I like the thin ribbon for a Victorian look, and baker's twine for a country look. The metallic floss is reserved for any that have a glittery element. I also tell customers that since mine are the size of a bookmark, they serve double duty for the recipient. Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-24-2017, 04:33 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

I like *ALL* of these ideas and options, and the simpler, the better! Thank you all for the suggestions and 'instructions' and examples!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 AM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jess in CaliView Post

I make lots,of tags for a giving tree at Christmas for foster kids. I let my Silhouette punch the holes. They need to hang on the tree. Several years ago I was wandering around JoAnn's craft place and went down the yarn aisle. I found a big roll of Bakers twine that is red & white. I bought it and use it for Christmas, Valentine's & 4th of July tags. It is huge roll. Here is a link to it. I see there are other colors.Aunt Lydia's Baker's Cotton Crochet Thread | Jo-Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #19  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

I tie a tiny bow at the top of my tag, get cheap ribbon all through the year, good way to use up scraps. It's almost August, time to brainstorm while we beat the heat.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #20  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the finished look and added color/texture that ribbon/twine gives to tags with holes. I've never been happy with leaving those empty! That said I don't bother with bows especially when doing a quantity. I either push one end of the ribbon through, pull it up to a form a V with the front piece of the ribbon, and staple. Or I fold the ribbon/twine in half, push the folded middle through the hole then the push the ends left at the front through the loop formed by pushing the ribbon through the back of the hole. Hope that makes sense!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-26-2017, 10:48 PM   #21  
Compulsive Stamper

Wow, ladyofcards, what a great find at Joann's! Thanks for the link!

Stamptaylor, I took a peek at your blog--slutty brownies are right up my alley (except I'm trying to lose weight because the scale shrieks when I even walk by it). Thanks for the input about watching for ribbon sales throughout the year.

Poppydarling, thanks for the the mini lesson in how to do the ribbon/twine! They were clear directions. :O)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-28-2017, 08:47 PM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I love using burlap string; here's a link for a 100-metre roll for $4.99 & free shipping at Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/1Roll-Twisted...=burlap+string

But I had to laugh out loud at the second review: "Just the right size for embezzlements with my card making."

Here's hoping she stays out of jail...

Reply With Quote Likes