Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #1  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Falling in love with just stamping again

On a recent business trip to Washington state I was able to visit 2 stamp stores. One in Olympia, Art 'n Soul. It's a lovely store with an unbelievable number of samples and the owner was wonderful. The other was Impress. I've been a long time online customer and I had always wanted to visit. Let's say I wasn't disappointed. It was wonderful. Tons of stamps, dies, a great selection of refill inks, and yummy embellishments. Impress also has tons of samples and the owner and her assistant were also just wonderful.

I went a bit overboard on my purchases but the stores really inspired me for basic stamping. I do love mixed media, dies, and 3-D items but it's been a very long time since I've been so inspired to just stamp. I forgot the joy of the feel of new wood stamp on crisp white paper. How much fun it is to stamp and color simple images like those from Rosie's Roadshow.

I won't give up on the all the other paper crafting things I like to do, but right now, I'm in stamping heaven because I visited 2 wonderful stores and re-found what I always loved about stamping - just rubber, paper, and ink.

What recent inspiration have you found?
Attached Thumbnails
Falling in love with just stamping again-rosies-roadshow3.jpg   Falling in love with just stamping again-rosies-roadshow1.jpg   Falling in love with just stamping again-rosies-roadshow2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 12:35 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Your enthusiasm is inspiring. Love all those cards, too. Especially the one about "old enough to know better."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Fun! I think a lot of us are starting to circle back around to "basics" - at least in between some of the other stuff... Very fun cards, and I agree with Bugga - your enthusiasm is contagious!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 02:18 PM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to always remind myself to focus on one technique. I find myself trying to do too many techniques on one card and then it looks weird. Focusing on just stamping is a great idea. A little self challenge.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 02:48 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 252 Likes on 177 Posts

I have always loved Rosie's Roadshow stamps. I get their monthly email and I have always wanted to visit the actual store (Impress).

I also love to send cards each month to Love Notes Fairy. Click here for more info https://jenniferbelthoff.com/love-notes-fairy/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 02:59 PM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by cheermomView Post
I have always loved Rosie's Roadshow stamps. I get their monthly email and I have always wanted to visit the actual store (Impress).
I felt kind of silly because I couldn't stop smiling. It was almost surreal being at Impress because I had this image in my head and I wasn't that far off. So many of the stores are not about the stamps and they are. Especially wood stamps.

Even though I've un-mounted all my stamps, I kind of don't want to un-mount them. The wood feels so good.

I think I'm having a "rubber-mance" thing going on LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2017, 04:18 PM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sometimes going back to simple is so freeing and fresh! It's easy to complicate things, even good things. Thank you for your happy post great reminder!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2017, 03:16 AM   #8  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 588 Likes on 240 Posts

Amen, sista. I am in the midst of a big project, making a couple hundred thank you cards for the school where my son teaches. To get them done, it's back to basics and I have dragged out many older sets and even wheels. Stamping is fun, I have rediscovered.
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2017, 12:58 PM   #9  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,386 Likes on 517 Posts

I noticed this recently while looking through older SU! catalogs my mom gave me - I really, really love the samples in those older catalogs, where the stamping took center stage on the card. I find it difficult to explain what exactly appealed to me about those samples, but I just know it made my heart go pitter-pat. And the cards were not necessarily CAS - just the way the colors and layers of paper were beautifully arranged or texturized along with the stamps and coloring got me so excited to create! So, I get what you mean about the excitement of SIP.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2017, 03:00 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with cnsteele. I also fell in love with those images back in 2003/2004. I miss creating a card with a Fun image to stamp. Where the cardstock, DSP and ink are coordinated. It seems like I forgot that a card doesn't have to have Fancy Folds or lots of embellishments to be considered a Great card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2017, 05:32 AM   #11  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have thought many times that I was a happier stamper "back when".

I sat at a very small, falling apart desk with just the basics. Paper, inks, a few colored pencil, a few markers, one of my kids cheap watercolor sets and my wood mounted stamps.

I never unmounted any of mine and am so very glad I didn't, I haven't regretted it once. That being said, I don't have near as most many of those who did. Even if I'd had hundreds and had opted to unmount to make my collection manageable, I probably would have kept some as is because their is nothing better that pulling those 'ol friends' out to use.

I am convinced they welcome me home every time I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2017, 02:48 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

What a lovely post. What a wonderful experience to go to the home of one of your favorite line! Yay! I probably would have done the same thing with over buying.
I like all your cards but the middle speaks to me too.

In the beginning I was never SURE the image would be perfect and I was so joyful when it was. A big, satisfied held breath exhaled and a big smile. Now I get annoyed when it isnt and start inspecting the stamp for flaws. When did I turn into that person? :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2017, 11:49 AM   #13  
Forum Fanatic

Still having an amazing time. I've made 16 simple cards this week. Some were CASE'd but most were my own designs. I've been going through my stamps looking for the simple little images that I can use with the Rosie's and it's brought new life to things that haven't seen ink in awhile.

It's so refreshing not to need a ton 'o tools. Makes me think of the old days when the SAMJ was the latest hot tool as I"ve been using it a lot this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-28-2017, 02:31 PM   #14  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Ahhh...yes, the "very bad" (really good) Impress store in Tukwila? ....most of my "stash" of stamps is from there, or SU. They have the most knowledgeable staff, who for the most part have been there a long time. They do great classes in store, and the website is pretty great too. I "blame" Jeanne for my Copics habit. LOVE, love my Impress store!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-29-2017, 04:26 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 664 Likes on 418 Posts

funny true story... and Order from Impress landed in my mailbox on Saturday... so, I am a little green that you got to go in person but, each of your cards made me smile so of course I have to go check out the roadshow stamps site now :lol: tfs!

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2017, 04:32 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBgreendawnView Post
funny true story... and Order from Impress landed in my mailbox on Saturday... so, I am a little green that you got to go in person but, each of your cards made me smile so of course I have to go check out the roadshow stamps site now :lol: tfs!
Hope you're enjoying your order. I already ordered some more of the Rosie's stamps. She shipped on the same day - absolutely amazing. I still want more but I'm afraid I've gone around the bend with them so I'm holding myself back...but they are so cute!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2017, 08:50 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

As I live in Olympia, WA I visit Art N Soul often. The staff is truly wonderful and so helpful. I love Impress and is worth the drive again a very helful staff. Glad you were able to visit our great state.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2017, 10:07 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Stamphappy, your cards are adorable, love those images and the old enough sentiment. I was lucky to work close to the Tukwila Impress store for many years. Every other Wednesday was a Make and Take. That was my "recess!" My fondest memories are when Dave Brethauer, Memory Boxes, was the demonstrator. I learned so much and bought many stamps there. A good friend introduced me to Art 'n Soul. My daughter lives fairly close to the store, good excuse to make that trek! So glad the two stores continue to have lots of happy patrons!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2017, 11:36 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Quickstuff & CCrafter - you're state is so beautiful and everyone was so friendly and you are so lucky to have 2 great stores. I was able to take a class with Dave Brethauer and he was terrific. Impress has the largest selection of MB dies I'd ever seen in person. It was hard to decide LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 02:06 AM   #20  
Glitter Queen

It is fun and exciting to pull out the stamps, inks and paper and simply...stamp. I did this for my Christmas Tags this past year. My favorite part was bringing out all the different shades of colors in the ink pads!

Also, very happy that you enjoyed the two stores that you had a chance to visit in the Pacific Northwest! Impress and Art n Soul are my "stamp stops" when I am in Washington State.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 02:30 AM   #21  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I just made a batch of Sympathy cards for my mom and stamping took center stage and I loved it. Ink, cardstock and rubber and it was so much fun. Just a tiny but of ribbon. It was fun to play and have the colors and stamps be the mail feature
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 06:13 AM   #22  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I too LOVE the stamping aspect of stamping/making cards! I steer away from certain techniques because of that love. I don't like to use digi images AT ALL! LOL But, I find I still want the tools that are out there. They make stamping even MORE FUN! My cards are very simple compared to a lot of others on here, where techniques are the rage. (I DO LOVE THE TECHNIQUES!!! DON'T GET ME WRONG! AND I swoon when I see the techniques carried out by others! ;) I just don't have everything on hand sometimes.... But, I ALWAYS look to see what's going on.) I do like those images that can be colored. I've seen so many images that are strictly stamping too for color/ solid images.... But, I like clean lined images to stamp & then, of course, I have to draw out the results by coloring! LOL ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 06:51 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found Impress several years ago on the internet while looking for a heart die from MemoryBox. They sent me the die and then I got their newsletter. It is very nice. I wish I could go there to take their classes! If you get their newsletter then you will get coupons several times a year. I would love to have such a store in Denver. All stores are GONE!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 06:54 AM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 465 Likes on 347 Posts

I'm going to be down in the Seattle area soon and I noticed there are two Impress stores. Do you know if one of them is larger or better than the other? Which one are all of you talking about?

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 07:04 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts
Thumbs up

stamphappy1650, welcome back to the true inner joys of stamping!
This craft has the potential to all everyone's creativity to be discovered, enjoyed, developed, shared, and so much more. It can be a source of inner joy that might previously be unknown to those who give it a try.

Who knew such a simple hobby could be so powerful? ;) I'm so thankful to my DD for having brought this to my attention so many years ago!

Thanks for the smile provided in reading your new experience! Brings to mind the long-time saying .... KISS! Keep it Simple, Sistah! (Ok ... so that's my version anyway.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 08:23 AM   #26  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I too just love the basic art of stamping. Although I do like many of the new techniques, most of my cards are basic stamping, coloring, DP & some embellishments. I also love to make CAS cards which really define that less can be more. I never did unmount my wood stamps. One because it would take too long, and two, I really like wood in my hands also. Don't get me wrong, I like the clear/cling mounts too. Usually a bit cheaper to purchase and easier to store. But I don't avoid a purchase of a stamp because it is on wood. And......I'll have to check out this "IMPRESS". Is there a website?
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Here you go Mary, be prepared to spend some money!! Impress Cards Crafts and Rubber Stamps
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 09:59 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
I'm going to be down in the Seattle area soon and I noticed there are two Impress stores. Do you know if one of them is larger or better than the other? Which one are all of you talking about?

I went to the one in Tukwila as it's really close to the airport. Hopefully, others can tell you difference between the stores.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #29  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

I've only been to the Tukwila store so can't offer any comparisons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #30  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

I used to live in Southern Oregon and made a couple of trips to Washington State expressly to visit those stores. Now that I live in Arizona, I truly miss those outings. I've never considered myself a card maker, rather a stamper. I am a wood and rubber gal and would not think of unmounting as I love the stamp to be ready to use right out of the drawer. I have ample storage, so would never unmount for that reason. I love the feel of the wood in my hand, so would never unmount for that reason. I don't think more stamps make me a better stamper, so I would never unmount for that reason. That being said new stamps call my name now and then. If I don't have room for a new stamp in that category or theme (how I store my stamps), then I have to decide to get rid of something to make room for the new, or pass on the new and make do with what I have. Welcome back to the joy of stamping!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #31  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I make everything from clean and simple to very elaborate mixed media yet I still love plain black on white stamping so I get it! I love your enthusiasm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #32  
Cardstock Collector

Default impress arts and crafts

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
Our Seattle store located at the University Village mall, is the smaller of the 2 stores. Our Tukwila store is large. Both stores are great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 07:34 AM   #33  
Kookie Creator

I have to smile when I read Jeanne3579's post. I was just like her, loved the wood mounted stamps, liked the availability of the stamp...it was always ready to use UNTIL I got the Misti. I found so much precision to my stamping with it because I never have a misstamp, it's never crooked, it's always inked to perfection, etc. I would often stamp 20 images to get 12 good stampings...no more. I never needed the room before, but I hated the look of all the stamps in their boxes lining my shelves. I was more of die hard about demounting than you can imagine. Treat yourself to a new stamp positioner, you will be surprised how much you like it. I now have two, the Misti and the Stamp Perfect for the different sizes. I carry one in my bag to swaps and card making club, the other sits on my counter at my station. I am even wondering if I will demount all my individual wood stamps...will see. Already loving the reduction of storage space needed but most of all I can use them in the Misti now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 07:52 AM   #34  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by LindaF409View Post
I have to smile when I read Jeanne3579's post. I was just like her, loved the wood mounted stamps, liked the availability of the stamp...it was always ready to use UNTIL I got the Misti. I found so much precision to my stamping with it because I never have a misstamp, it's never crooked, it's always inked to perfection, etc. I would often stamp 20 images to get 12 good stampings...no more. I never needed the room before, but I hated the look of all the stamps in their boxes lining my shelves. I was more of die hard about demounting than you can imagine. Treat yourself to a new stamp positioner, you will be surprised how much you like it. I now have two, the Misti and the Stamp Perfect for the different sizes. I carry one in my bag to swaps and card making club, the other sits on my counter at my station. I am even wondering if I will demount all my individual wood stamps...will see. Already loving the reduction of storage space needed but most of all I can use them in the Misti now!
Glad I could make you laugh. Most people have to look at me first! I know I am old school, but I may remain that way. I really work hard to get my wood mounted stamps on perfectly to match the index on top. That usually makes for easy, even stamping. The stamp positioner helps in those cases where precise placement is required. (I often make a sentiment stamp that is on 2 or 3 lines, all on one line to fit the design.) Am I off a bit sometimes? Yes, but they are individually hand made cards, after all. I could use a printing press, or print them from my computer for exactness, but then each card would not be an original. It's just me, I know, but I don't make duplicate cards and my stamps are stored in a beautiful oak cabinet with custom sized drawers, lovingly made by my DH, so I don't see any stamp boxes on my shelves. Everything on my shelves is in beautiful baskets that work with my decor. I have friends that are furiously un-mounting so they can use their Mistis, while I am busy stamping. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #35  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

So interesting reading everyones' posts, and the ones by those of you who have been stamping for a long time.

I'm a relative newcomer to paper crafts, and have unmounted my wood stamps. But I love stamping, and what some of you have said reminds me of how much I like stamping with acrylic blocks. Don't get me wrong; I like the Misti, especially for complex or repeated stamping.

But there's something satisfying about just using just my hand and an inked stamp on a block, with nothing between me and the paper. So that's what I often do. A little like painting or stenciling a background, a connection with the medium and paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 12:19 PM   #36  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
So interesting reading everyones' posts, and the ones by those of you who have been stamping for a long time.

I'm a relative newcomer to paper crafts, and have unmounted my wood stamps. But I love stamping, and what some of you have said reminds me of how much I like stamping with acrylic blocks. Don't get me wrong; I like the Misti, especially for complex or repeated stamping.

But there's something satisfying about just using just my hand and an inked stamp on a block, with nothing between me and the paper. So that's what I often do. A little like painting or stenciling a background, a connection with the medium and paper?
I like that description!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 01:48 PM   #37  
Cardstock Collector

I've been stamping since the late 80's, when we had fantastic rubber stamp stores in my town. I had a sub to Rubber Stamp Madness magazine in high school and had stamp pen pals all over. Then i was a sales rep for over 60 rubber stamp, scrapbook & sticker companies in the late 90's. I got to demo stamps in stores and taught classes, it was the best thing ever. I've still got all my stamps and have also recently renewed my love for stamping all over again too, but sadly i dont have stamp stores to visit anywhere around me that i know of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2017, 10:02 PM   #38  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

stamphappy1650- I loved your post. I love your cards. I agree there is nothing better than plain pure stamping. I think that is my happiest time with stamps when it is just my stamps, ink, paper & coloring tools.

Since I got online for the stamping world and discovered all the great companies it just seems that Washington is the star for stamping stores. DH & I are moving up there soon. When I move up to Washington I am going to tour the whole state and visit stamp stores. I am serious as can be. It is one of my dreams.

craftybella- I think we might be in the same age range. I have been stamping for that long too. A little bit longer. I didn't know Rubber Stamp Madness was around when we were in high school. I would have had a subscription too. I feel like I missed out now, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-03-2017, 03:58 AM   #39  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bjeansView Post
Yep, you nailed it :p My sisters stamped for years and I just didn't get it. They would be in stamp stores and I'd sit outside and wait until they were finished. I couldn't understand how paper and rubber could excite someone. They finally got me to go to SU party and I was hooked. My first order was $800 and I never looked back. With just some ink, stamps, and paper I could create something wonderful.

jeanne3579 - I also don't usually make duplicate unless it for a group swap. I make one and I'm off to something else. I do love my MISTI but I also still like my SAMJ because I honestly think it's easier to use. Both have a place in my tool kit.

craftybella - sorry you don't have any stamp stores near you because we all know this is our happy place.

lylacfey - Wow - moving to Washington is going to great except the traffic (ACK!). What an adventure to see all the great stores. I was never much of fan of Rubberstamp Madness. My all time favorite mag was Rubber Stamper. I still miss it :(
Reply With Quote Likes