Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-29-2015, 05:59 AM   #1  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts
Default The email purge has begun

Some time ago someone mentioned that they had trouble resisting buying...

and my suggestion at the time was to unplug from mfg emails.

Well, it's time to put my money where my mouth is so to speak.

I have begun unsubscribing from emails. It's just too much. Some mfgs are sending every single day, one sends possibly 2 a day....enough. I can open my email to find upwards of 30 in there. I just dont want to even spend time deleting it all anymore, especially when I have trouble finding time to make cards. I used to justify it by saying I would get good sale opportunities. But really, come on...that's just rationalizing.

I have plenty of stamps-probably enough for my lifetime at this point to be honest. As I am not ready to purge those-I want to let go of temptation and time eaters.

Does not mean I will never buy a stamp again-but I know who my favs are and I can go to the website myself. I might miss out on some sales but that's ok.

I will still get a couple of blogs b/c those are more about technique-but still plenty of new products info as well. I have the gallery here to look at for inspiration too and I would much rather spend my few minutes doing that.

Has anyone else done this?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 06:22 AM   #2  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped too! I was so sick of Creating Keepsakes emails, just to name one. I only get Technique Junkies, because Pat Huntoon is so amazing! And getting rid of clutter just feels soooo good!

Anne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 06:57 AM   #3  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

Don't you just love the countdown emails? We're having a sale! HEY! Hey, the sale's on now! Only 4 more days! 3 more! 2! Don't miss it! It's almost over! OH HEY, the sale was EXTENDED . . . . .

I like the tabs on gmail - all the ads and sale info go into one tab, and I very rarely ever look there - I can choose to or not, as they're not in my main inbox.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 08:28 AM   #4  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni
Demo Challenge Leader
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Location: South of Oklahoma, North of DFW Airport = North Texas!
Received 243 Likes on 129 Posts

Hmmmm ... I need to start that purge plan myself. Thanks for the kick-start!

"Time-takers" they are ... as I literally spend a portion of each day filtering "out" those retail company emails over & over again.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 08:46 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

I do the same as Dina - use the "promotions" tab for those - but I don't subscribe to more than four or five as it is, and rarely go there. There are plenty of enablers here on SCS to keep me informed when/if I need (okay, I really mean "want") anything new... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 09:22 AM   #6  
Crimping Master

BCRibbon

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I do the same as Dina - use the "promotions" tab for those - but I don't subscribe to more than four or five as it is, and rarely go there. There are plenty of enablers here on SCS to keep me informed when/if I need (okay, I really mean "want") anything new... ;)
I too love and use the "promotions" tab in my gmail account. I do not subscribe to but 3 of 4 and when they started selling my email account and I was getting all that spam and such, I just unsubscribed from everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #7  
Hardware Hotshot

I unsubscribed to every site a couple of years ago. Then I added 3 sites to get their emails .
One that I recently added is teetering on the edge of the all gone ledge . They are sending an email or two every day and I am tired of it.

I think I discovered how to reduce the Michael's emails.. I get one a week. When the register clerk asks for my email I always say, " You have it and I don't give that out."
One clerk told me if I don't give them my email when I make a purchase I will miss "ALL the Special Email offers" .. Whoo Hoo LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #8  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

Yes. I unsubscribed from almost all of the blogs I was following as well as most retailers.

I really need to curb my spending habits. Since I have a hard time resisting temptation, I figured it was best to nip those temptations in the bud.

There are a few brands that I will continue to buy, but I know where to find them when I am ready.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 12:04 PM   #9  
Proud Fan Club Member

I just started using gmail...I dont know how to send those to the promo tab...I was just keeping it on separate email add for that stuff on my old provider. Unfortunately I also used it for acquaintances (vs the one for close friends and family) so I cant ignore it. I am trying to create multiple adds in gmail to keep family/acquaints/work/etc separate but it keeps defaulting to the one I am using most. I'll get it worked out eventually.

You are so right Dina! I dislike countdowns intensely. With the last day "did you miss that there is a sale?" how could I miss it? You've been in my face for five days with bold caps and punctuation marks!

I am just going to work on the principle out of sight is out mind....lord knows it works around the house all the time when I havent used something for 48 hours and then cant find it again! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #10  
Insane Embellisher

I delete about 100 messages a day, all advertising something. I don't even look at them. I have tried unsubscribing but then I find 10 emails from new companies that appear. They're like tribbles!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #11  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 5,912 Likes on 2,181 Posts

Can I get to the promotions tab on my tablet? I can't seem to find it on here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 04:27 PM   #12  
Proud Fan Club Member

LOL Tribbles Debbie! I'm happy someone else knows what those are!

Four more bit the dust since I started this morning. No doubt this will be an ongoing effort.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 04:57 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I think unsubscribing from store emails is a great way to curb the temptation! I did that a long time ago.

Also, there may be blogs you get email updates for, and if you use Gmail (I don't know about others), you can apply a filter to keep from seeing them. Then, if you decide you want to see them again, just remove the filter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #14  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I unsubscribed about a month ago and it is a real blessing; so glad that I did it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 06:36 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try unenroll.me

It's a site that connects to your email, and automatically unsubscribes from anything you'd like. And then everything else can be sorted into getting regular email, or getting a daily digest version, with 1 email showing images of all the stuff you're not likely to click on.

For example:
- I unsubscribed from a bunch of things i didn't remember signing up for, or frequent spam emails (like Linked.In - I don't have an account but I get invites each week)

- I rolled up all the daily emails that I don't need to check - Archiver's, Michaels, Joanns, etc. - I can open it and if I see an amazing deal or I'm shopping with intent there, I can access it, but otherwise it's 1 email a day rather than a dozen.

- I get specific emails like normal, instantly (Stampin' Up, SCS, Facebook, etc.)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 06:46 PM   #16  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
I just started using gmail...I dont know how to send those to the promo tab...I was just keeping it on separate email add for that stuff on my old provider. Unfortunately I also used it for acquaintances (vs the one for close friends and family) so I cant ignore it. I am trying to create multiple adds in gmail to keep family/acquaints/work/etc separate but it keeps defaulting to the one I am using most. I'll get it worked out eventually.

You are so right Dina! I dislike countdowns intensely. With the last day "did you miss that there is a sale?" how could I miss it? You've been in my face for five days with bold caps and punctuation marks!

I am just going to work on the principle out of sight is out mind....lord knows it works around the house all the time when I havent used something for 48 hours and then cant find it again! LOL
When you're in your inbox view - just click and drag the email to a different tab. Then you'll be asked if you want to do that for all emails from that address in the future and you can pick yes or no.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 08:08 PM   #17  
Crimping Master

BCRibbon

Quote:

LOL Tribbles Debbie! I'm happy someone else knows what those are!

Four more bit the dust since I started this morning. No doubt this will be an ongoing effort.
Oh I love the reference to Tribbles. I sort of liked them. What a great comparison. One other thing that I did was open up a yahoo email account and use that for my "junk" mail and yea I check it and I may delete everything, but at least it is not clogging up my regular email. I also have a blog email address and that is where I go when I am looking for examples and such. Yes I know that is three emails, but actually I have several for personal, work, etc. Yes I do check them all. But the "junk" one is easy to go in search and delete.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 09:13 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

:: hangs head sheepishly:: well today, A Cherry on Top sent me an email about a Distress Ink Minis promotion, and yes, I just spent a ridiculous amount of time putting things in the cart and taking them out but I managed to get a bunch of colors that I wanted for about $13!

But I generally agree that I'm reaching the point where I have most of what I need to accomplish what I want to accomplish, so everything else now is just a want and not a need. But the emails would like to argue that point with me so they need to go
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2015, 09:40 PM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I did a purge last year and at the time I set up rules (I use Outlook) so the mail is directed to specified folders because there are some I want to review but not in my main inbox. The folders help to manage/unsubscribe.

Yep I also dislike the "countdown" emails and multiple in one day or the ones that say "great sale" and it 5% off - that's not a "great sale"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2015, 05:12 AM   #20  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

I read recently (in one of my genealogy groups) where someone had one email for newsletters, one for online shopping and receipts, and a third for their regular correspondence. I thought it was a good idea. You can feed them all into one inbox if you want to, but different addresses limit the exposure of any one address to junk.

I need to clear out my subscriptions too. It's getting out of hand but it's my own fault! :rolleyes: The ones that really bug me, though, are the true junk email. I didn't ask to get that stuff!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 06-30-2015 at 05:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 AM   #21  
Proud Fan Club Member

I do have multiple emails but my current provider is quite poor. So I am slowly shifting over to gmail. When this started it was just a couple of companies and mostly people. Then it flipped. I dragged my feet b/c for a long time I felt my PC was more secure than some company out in the ether. Now I just dont care. Ooh I bought some red glitter. I told my cousin I am getting a filling. Knock yourselves out hackers.

Poppy-Pick your head up! No one is talking about never buying again. Just removing impulse spending. Did you get the new colors? I need those myself.

They are on the wishlist. Which I realized last night will hold me for directed shopping for a very long time since it's what? 11 pages long now? That's actually how this all started. I signed up for those companies so I could wait and get my wishlist stuff when it was on sale. Seemed logical. And it did work! It just grew like the Sorcerer's apprentice as more stuff got on the list.

THANKS Linda for the gmail tip for tabs!!! I will try that.

Those "Huge" sales... Like a mouse throwing a shadow the size of a dog. pffft. And of course those are the companies that I have the most items of on the wishlist. (sigh)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 06:24 AM   #22  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to philsmom

I was sick of getting daily emails, I do not shop that much- I would look, but it was a waste of time. So I asked Joann's, Michaels & Hobby Lobby if they would just send one email a week. Only Hobby Lobby complied, so the other 2 were unsubscribed. I can always go to their sites to see what is happening storewise. It is just obnoxious to be met with daily admonitions to Buy Buy Buy.
I am better for not spending the time looking just in case there was something I wanted.
Am I getting cranky? by philsmom at Splitcoaststampers

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 06:45 AM   #23  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do like reading blogs when I have time. I used to spend time hopping around to my favorite blogs. Some I would get email updates. Now there is a wonderful source that puts all your blog posts onto one site! It has all sorts of blogs. Most of my favorite paper crafty people are on this! Here is the link. https://www.bloglovin.com
There is also an app. No more clogged inbox. Just go to one place!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 10:16 AM   #24  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 506 Likes on 226 Posts

Now, when I visit favorite blogs, nope, no following, no joining, none of that. So at least I don't get any of those emails. I have a blogroll on my blog and I visit when I choose. It is always changing as I find new, neat blogs. Or as ones on my list change and are not as appealing.

I'll have to check out bloglovin...although my way works just fine for me. ;)
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Poppy-Pick your head up! No one is talking about never buying again. Just removing impulse spending. Did you get the new colors? I need those myself.
Well, I need to point out that I had no intention of purchasing a bunch of Distress Inks before I got that email lol I also have a long wish list in my head and wait to see if something goes on sale before I jump, so at least I'm saving money. Or that's the rationalization/theory :mrgreen:

I didn't get any of the new 2015 colors because they weren't in the promotion (which is probably why the rest of them were on sale, but I needed to add some colors as I only currently have about 10 and that limits my faux water coloring).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 05:40 PM   #26  
Proud Fan Club Member

Another batch gone today.

With the holiday sales this is a little harder than usual but I am determined!

i am becoming more aware of the marketing now that I am really thinking about it...
We have seasonal releases
We have monthly releases
We have holiday releases
We have just because we feel like it releases

Good googly moo! :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-01-2015, 08:10 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

I wish more people would purge and organize their email into folders by the name of the company or something. I work at a department store and it's frustrating to wait for someone to find the coupon in their email only to find they have all expired. This searching of course is done while talking on the phone and/or by someone who doesn't understand smartphones. And let's not forget the coupons they do find won't scan because 2 year old Johnny was playing games on mommy's phone and dropped it and the screen is now cracked.
Ok - rant over!

But all this talk about gmail and the promotions tab makes me wonder.... maybe I'll have to start using my gmail account that I was forced to get when I wanted to get an app on my phone through google play.....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2015, 05:05 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I had planned on doing the very same thing this weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2015, 06:17 AM   #29  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

Another hint to cut down on unwanted email for sites that require you to log in before you can get access and since I have no idea if I even want them to know who I am, I have an email account I never use.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2015, 09:31 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turkey1969View Post
I wish more people would purge and organize their email into folders by the name of the company or something. I work at a department store and it's frustrating to wait for someone to find the coupon in their email only to find they have all expired. This searching of course is done while talking on the phone and/or by someone who doesn't understand smartphones. And let's not forget the coupons they do find won't scan because 2 year old Johnny was playing games on mommy's phone and dropped it and the screen is now cracked.
Ok - rant over!

But all this talk about gmail and the promotions tab makes me wonder.... maybe I'll have to start using my gmail account that I was forced to get when I wanted to get an app on my phone through google play.....
I don't use the new tabs on Gmail at all - but Gmail also has a fantastic search feature.... I'm always easily able to retrieve specific messages .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii
Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Well, I decided to move some of my emails to my yahoo acct. Been thinking of this for awhile.

Certain companies I have an actual rewards card for. Now, when I go sign in the webpage, I am getting use a verified email address or no record found messages.

So now I either have to call the company to get this straighten out or unsubscribe under old email and subscribe under my yahoo acct.

Or I can just delete. Some companies I haven't used their coupons in a year or so. Just like to have those coupons for when I am ready to use them. Know what I mean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #32  
Proud Fan Club Member

I am confused Leslie-if you are moving them from a different provider-that would change your email add and the company would not recognize it. Maybe what you want to do is go into the companies, into your profile and change the email add there? It's probably a security thing.

Had I known people would want to know about the holiday sales I would have held off and been able to tell you about a bunch b/c a bunch did fly by my eyes as I hit unsubscribe. Sorry! I would suggest you go to the company sites. Many will have the sale right on the homepage.

I had no idea how many things I had signed up for till I started this. No wonder my email box was slammed every day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2015, 12:59 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: Mascoutah, Illinois, Living In My Own Home Finally!!-Hibiscus from my backyard in Hawaii

Quote:

I am confused Leslie-if you are moving them from a different provider-that would change your email add and the company would not recognize it. Maybe what you want to do is go into the companies, into your profile and change the email add there? It's probably a security thing.

Had I known people would want to know about the holiday sales I would have held off and been able to tell you about a bunch b/c a bunch did fly by my eyes as I hit unsubscribe. Sorry! I would suggest you go to the company sites. Many will have the sale right on the homepage.

I had no idea how many things I had signed up for till I started this. No wonder my email box was slammed every day!
This is what I did, still had problems

I have a account with Famous Footwear. I get emails all most every day from them on my main email acct. If i log into my account on Famous Footwear I am able to make any changes to my email address account or my password.

My problem is that they claim my main email address is not in their records, therefore I can not log into my account. BUT I get emails every day from them at my main email account address.

Also had this problem yesterday with P&Geveryday. I have an account but could not sign in.

Also today, I went to pay my gas online. They claimed I did not have an account and did not recognize email address. Now this really bothers me, been paying online for well over a year, and today I get denied.:mad:

All my other emails I have accounts with. If you have an account there is always a way to change email address and password.

I have DSW, Journeys
petsmart and petco
yankee candle
lowes, home depot
best buy, michaels, sally beauty, ulta bath & body works

All of these I should be able to change my email address as I have account with these companies....and more
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2015, 04:15 PM   #34  
Proud Fan Club Member

So...for just some accounts you cant get in, but you are still getting the emails? That is weird.

I would call them on the phone and say you want to change the email address through the CS person. Have them send you a test and make sure it works. If you say you are having a problem with your provider (vs them) they should be agreeable.

Then you go in and put in a password. Make sure that works before letting them off the phone.

You may have a problem in your cookie cashe. I have seen people who know way more than me suggest clearing that out. No one will recognize you after that-unless you tell them to save you again. They wont lose your account, you just have to sign in again with a password to access.

I have weird stuff happening too. That is why I am switching providers. I wonder if some of these systems are not overloaded or just using old technology. I really dont do anything particularly complicated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-02-2015, 06:30 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Another hint to cut down on unwanted email for sites that require you to log in before you can get access and since I have no idea if I even want them to know who I am, I have an email account I never use.
The few times a merchant has asked me to register and log in just access their site to see what they have I immediately exit and leave the site. I am sure they want my email and info to send me ads . I figure they are very devious and I don't want to do business with a company like that

Another Big turn off for me is when I look at an item on a site when I am NOT logged in and then within a day or so I get an email from the company telling me they know I looked at the item and here is a link to buy it or why didn't I buy it . Clearly they are tracking me .

Big turn off !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-03-2015, 05:55 AM   #36  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I like the tabs on gmail - all the ads and sale info go into one tab, and I very rarely ever look there - I can choose to or not, as they're not in my main inbox.
Thanks for the education. I figured out how to do this, and it is wonderful. I didn't realize how much junk was being dumped into that gmail account till I set up the tabs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 11:52 AM   #37  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

OK, this tab business with gmail sounds interesting, but I can't find them. What I do is mark the things I don't want as "junk" and then all like items go there. I clean out that when it gets to be 20 or so in there (after I check it out as some things have been sent to junk by my computer and not by me). So just in case I want to be adventurous, where do I find these tab and how do I make use of them? I need very simple, clear explanations, a I am pretty computer illiterate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 01:17 PM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

Well, I was discussing with my dd(she is 17 yrs old) about changing most of store emails over to my yahoo address.

She told me to use gmail because it is better, yahoo stinks.

Got to love kids that where raised learning on computers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

I dont know yahoo but I like gmail so far-they offer far more than I need but they seem much more stable than my old provider. (cable company)

Absolutely go to the young people. Not only were they raised on it-they constantly chatter about what works best, what holds the most data, faster, cheaper, etc etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-05-2015, 03:04 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanne3579View Post
OK, this tab business with gmail sounds interesting, but I can't find them. What I do is mark the things I don't want as "junk" and then all like items go there. I clean out that when it gets to be 20 or so in there (after I check it out as some things have been sent to junk by my computer and not by me). So just in case I want to be adventurous, where do I find these tab and how do I make use of them? I need very simple, clear explanations, a I am pretty computer illiterate.
Over in the upper right corner/area of the Gmail interface, there is a symbol like a gear. Click on that and you should see a choice to "Configure Inbox." Click on that and you can choose which tabs you want .

I only use the primary tab. Anything I want to archive, I archive, and it goes to "All Mail." Then if I want to find something, I just perform a search based on who it's from, key words, etc. Maybe I'll try the tabs sometime, but I imagine I would get carried away with managing and organizing the email, and I've been fine for years without them.

Good luck!

P.S. Big plusses for Gmail: The search feature works really well, and I never get spam in my inbox.

Last edited by Phantom; 07-05-2015 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: p.s.
Reply With Quote Likes