Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-03-2016, 07:12 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do generally use Stamping w/ coloring or just die cuts ?

I am noticing a lot of cards with only die cuts and a stamped sentiment. I wondered if this is a trend or is it a coincidence that I am seeing a lot of these style cards ?
Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 07:37 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I've noticed that, too, Barbara. I think maybe it's because they have tons and tons of very elaborate, detailed dies that have come out lately. I do think it's a current trend to use those die cuts as the focal point on cards.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 07:40 PM   #3  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 493 Likes on 272 Posts

I'm guilty of this. It's not that I'm pulling away from stamping- it's more that I've bought all these gorgeous dies, and it's pretty fast to make a card wiwth just dies & a sentiment. Not to mention they look great.

Hi Bugga!!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 07:54 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
I'm guilty of this. It's not that I'm pulling away from stamping- it's more that I've bought all these gorgeous dies, and it's pretty fast to make a card wiwth just dies & a sentiment. Not to mention they look great.

Hi Bugga!!!
Hi right back at ya! Happy Retirement!

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-03-2016, 08:55 PM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post

Hi Bugga!!!
I made a birthday card a few days ago with just die cuts and it took a looong time - maybe because I was piecing together triangles to make up the entire card front. Just determining color pattern took a long time, though playing with color is never a burden. There were other parts that took a long time too. But I'm slow mo in general.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 04:10 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,055 Likes on 813 Posts

Stamping and colouring! Yes, sure, I have, love, and use dies - but they aren't therapy in the way that sitting and colouring is.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-04-2016, 07:33 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

depends on the time crunch.

when you need something fast its quicker to add words to a background than to color an entire image.

I go back and forth so, I color in spurts and have started trying to do pairs or multiples of some things ( flowers or critters or smaller images)

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 05:06 AM   #8  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

Just my humble observations...

With all the pretty DP out there...die cuts as the main element does not seem weird. Plus I think it allows people to make a card in advance and pop the sentiment on later-which I do see a lot on those craft selling shows on tv as an idea. Or maybe they are from sets. Nothing to be guilty about I have often said I have no issue with letting a beautiful DP do the heavy lifting on a card.

Some people have mentioned they either cant, or dont like to color, which moves them away from stamping, but this a way to still make cards. With the big blending trend in coloring, a lot of people are intimidated, dont want to spend the money on alcohol markers, or whatever. We have moved away from shading to pretty fancy blending now. (which I cant do but dont sweat)

I might do either.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2016, 06:28 AM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am not sure how to use stamped and colored cards. I did make one with a mermaid but that was unusual for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 05:32 PM   #10  
Inking Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I came into this whole thing to use rubber stamps to make cards and to make scenes to entertain myself. Not scenic stamping, as such, but perhaps a tree, a house, a pickup truck full of tiny penguins or a little red wagon with something fun pulling it. I can't draw and I've always thought I could put together some fun and silly scenes that could be a creative outlet for me. I used to make some little scenes like this on thank you notes to students when I taught 6th grade, but I retired in 2000 (Hooray!!) and life has filled up with lots of other things. I don't stamp nearly as often as I'd like to, partly because I'm not organized, nor do I have any sort of system for storing the supplies I do have.

I've continued to collect rubber stamps, clear stamps, inks, reinkers, Distress Ink markers, watercolors and stencils, but I'm not getting into die cuts, embossing folders, and what I think of as machine-type equipment. I have a hard enough time not wanting practically every stamp I see, let alone knowing where to draw the line if I should decide to buy die cuts, embossing folders and the like.

So, it's stamping and coloring for me, with cutting out items by hand and using the little foam squares to add dimension.

I did finally put together my Advantus file cart for 12x12 paper and it is fabulous! Easy to put together! The file folders are pricey, but will last a long time. Someone on SCS suggested using legal size hanging folders in a file box for 12x12 paper. The paper sticks up a few inches, but it doesn't flop over. I'll be using this system also. I didn't realize how much paper I have. Hope this post isn't too long.

m Carolyn w
mcw519
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-07-2016, 07:07 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Hadn't really thought about it before but I make alot of Christmas cards with diecuts eg: snowflakes, snowy scenes, reindeer - but most others cards have coloured images or a topper or a papertole image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-09-2016, 03:22 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

I will do either. I really enjoy stamping and colouring so that is for pure fun. But if one of my friends is around with their beautiful dies I will snatch them and make a few die cut only cards too! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 07:33 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

I am a rubber stamper that makes cards, not a card maker that sometimes uses stamps. Therefore I have never made a card with just die cuts with only a stamped greeting. I don't always stamp and color, either, as I love to use silhouette stamps as well as detail stamps with ink or embossing that don't need coloring. So, if it is a trend, I'm not good with it. I have lots of stamps---dies, not so many.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 08:03 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have 25+ years of stamps and I love to color but I also love patterned paper and dies. Usually my cards had stamped and colored images, matted with dies, on patterned paper. And I make cards for just about every holiday and birthdays, anniversaries, back to school, celebration, sympathy, congrats, etc. it was taking all my time to color these images. So this year almost all my Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas cards are made with dies, no coloring, and the stamps used only for sentiments. I have 25 Halloween and Thanksgiving cards already made and 45 of the 60-70 Christmas cards I need already made. Next year I'll be back to coloring the stamped images but it was so fast to make the cards with dies and I got to use tons of the dies I've been buying over the last few years.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2016, 10:43 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do a lot of cards with no stamping at all, just using company collections like Simple Stories, etc. and using their die-cut shapes or stickers and the beautiful designer paper, and cardstock from my stash. But I do love to color with my Copics, so I do bring out stamps for like 50% of my cards. My favorite are The Greeting Farm stamps. I think the reason I use die-cut shapes from the collections is because I don't have to color them if I don't feel like it and they help make cute, fun, easy cards in minutes. For sentiments, I use the matching alphabet stickers or bring out a coordinating ink and sentiment stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love coloring and playing with ink so most of the things I make include stamping. If I use dies they are most likely basic shapes or a little embellishment. But I think many Clean and Simple designers create with dies, and CAS cards have been popular for a while.

Last edited by Ellibelle; 10-05-2016 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2016, 06:09 AM   #17  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 246 Likes on 133 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I love coloring and playing with ink so most of the things I make include stamping. If I use dies they are most likely basic shapes or a little embellishment. But I think many Clean and Simple designers create with dies, and CAS cards have been popular for a while.
Ditto!
Reply With Quote Likes