Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-27-2017, 03:10 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default craft / street fair.

I am considering doing a craft fair in September (lots of prep time) would love some suggestions on. What sells and pricing...set up ideas pics...all the information you can share

"God Blesses Everyday, It is up to us to notice."
-Auther Unknown
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 661 Likes on 415 Posts

have you went through that fair in the past to see what is offered already? ( most of the "better" fairs the organizers try to limit people doing duplicate arts or crafts, farmers markers are more maybe a little of the same produce but, for the most part the growers know what the others are bringing) sometimes you may see 2 pottery booths but, not 10. the thing that seems overdone at the moment where I live is jewelry booths. ( they are every other one some times) I am thinking since its outdoors you are going to need things that will not blow away in the wind. some shade for you would be good too.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2017, 08:56 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

There is a long-running sticky thread in the Techniques section about craft fairs with many ideas and info:

Craft Sale Best Sellers - Ideas and Discussion by cardsbynikki at Splitcoaststampers

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2017, 10:09 AM   #4  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 731 Likes on 353 Posts

First things first. Find out if there is a rain date, and that you can make it. some do, some dont. Some give refunds, some dont. Find out how long the show runs before they give a refund...ie Some say if you are out there for 4 hours when a rain starts, no refund. Others might say less or more. They might wait 2 hours before calling a show for weather and you have to stay there. So pay attention to the weather in relation to when is the latest you can pay.

If you are indoors that should not matter other than people not coming if it is very bad. I find indoors often will not call it.

Try to have a buddy with you to watch things if you have to go to the bathroom etc. Dhs are good for toting/setting up. If they just read the paper all day or play candy crush...dont care. Having that body there is very important.

If it is a dedicated craft fair...mine allow duplication because my clothes look different from the rest kind of thing.

If you are going to be on dirt...if you have a beach umbrella you can shove into the ground (or 2) you will have a shady place to sit and maybe cover for your table for a passing rain. Folds up better and much cheaper than tenting for the ocassional seller. I just saw some at Costco for like 20 bucks. You can use them at the beach, in your back yard, etc. to get value from them.

Definitely take a decent weight plastic drop clothes to cover your tables for rain too. Wind is an issue. You dont want the tablecloth to pick up and move the table...have clips that will keep it tight across the surface. I like using cheap satin sheets myself. Makes the stuff on the table look nicer-solids. Patterns confuse the eye with the product. You may need weights for your table or it could sail regardless of cloths.

Think about your display-it matters. You can either look like bargain goodies-which is fine. Or you can look more professional. TJ Maxx and Marshalls, etc sell jewelry stands of all kinds...so does Michaels and Craft stores or check online.

If am just selling stuff from around the house...I arrange it and I make sure it is clean...if I am selling HM stuff like my mom's jewelry or whatever...that I make an effort with.

The practical stuff that can make you miserable if you are not set up right:

I personally like a U or O shape of tables. Lets me be with a customer closely. But I need an exit-to go to the bathroom or come around to talk about something with a customer. Esp if you are selling clothes or small furniture. Consider your total surface space. It is one thing to have back ups under a table...it is another to want to cry because you dont have nearly enough room and now have to make choices about what to show first and pray space opens up.

Find out if they provide tables and chairs and how many. You may have to bring your own, esp chairs.

Have a CLEAR idea of where you are going to keep change money (to make change) and where you are going to keep "the bank" (back up change and big bills you take in) It needs to be very low key. Way too easy for someone to watch and then snatch it while you are distracted. And make sure to bring a lot of appropriate change. If you dont have anything under a dollar, then you dont need coin-unless you are willing to discount. (another choice is to combine and say this pile that should be 20 bucks I will make 15-so you keep change out of it) Have a LOT of singles, 5s and 10s. You can always put them back in the bank but depending what day it is and where you are...you may not be able to get more if it is a Saturday and definitely not on a Sunday.

Figure out food and drink. You dont want all your profits going to that. Bring more bottles of water/whatever than you think you will need-esp if it is hot. Have a small cooler chest and get the reusuable freezer packs. (I use them when shopping over in NJ in the summer or for picnics, so I get multiple uses for them) Have snacks in individual packs..help to keep from eating them all in the first 2 hours lol

Set up a gallon freezer bag with stationary goods like tape, scissors, markers, CS to write prices on for your bins, extra cloth clips, extra price stickers, whatever you could possibly need. Also a full roll of paper towels.

Bring medications in a safe container. Include tylenol, sunscreen, bug stuff, allergy meds. A field could set off allergies. Your epipen if you have any severe allergies. Never know and you may be miles from medical care-it requires special packing to stay viable.

Collect bags to put sales in -supermarket bags, shopping bags, whatever. If people cant carry it, they very well may not buy it. Some carry their own but be prepared. Also a couple of garbage bags for yourself.

If you have breakables-save all your bubblewrap/packing material and get from friends if you have any breakables or stuff you dont want get scratched. Or have a lot of newspaper. (one use for tape) This kind of attention has earned me repeat customers year over year. They are going to be at least walking around the fair. Unless it is big and heavy they dont want to go back to the car with it.

Bring a sweater and light jacket. Weather can change suddenly. Just wind can make you feel cold. Leave it in the car or whatever till you need it.

Dont wear good clothes. Stuff happens and stuff spills or whatever. You want to be tidy but not crying if something gets ruined. Esp if you are in a field. Comfortable shoes!! Not flip flops either.

DO bring sunglasses. Even if it looks cloudy. It stinks to have to squint all day-usually gives people a headache. Also bring a back up pair of regular glasses.

Speaking of-be VERY sure to find out what the bathroom arrangements are. Some will have porta potties, others may have nothing and you have to go to local stores and maybe buy coffee to use theirs.

If you are selling only one thing like books or movies....some of this may not be needed.

Try to avoid blowing profits by buying yourself! LOL. it is one thing to scout it out and see who has what for how much. Also, decide if you are willing to give a discount to fellow vendors. This is common but not so much if you dont do it regularly.

You dont want to be making a lot of decisions at the last minute when you are there. Some you cant help but having a clear game plan is a life saver.

Get there early! It takes more time than people think to set up esp for first timers.. You dont want to be still doing that when they are arriving-and some people, like dealers always come early-could be an hour or more. Other people will early bird too but not as early. I often do sales before start time. Depends on where you are. Open access like sidewalk or a field with an entranceway they could keep them out.

If this going to be a one off-skip the umbrella, get cheap tablecloth at the party store, etc. aka cut the costs.

This was long. I think I hit everything. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes