Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-18-2015, 10:15 AM   #1  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Any stamping teachers here?

I am looking for advice from non SU demos for this post as I think the approach might be different. However I would appreciate all and any point of view.

Here is the dilemma. I have been approached to teach beginners how to stamp and make cards. While I do this down south in the Winter, the ladies have all their supplies and are for the most part active card makers.

However, in this case they would have no supplies and the question is how do you do this keeping in mind that the Senior Centre would keep part of the tuition and I would still need to be paid for teaching and supplies.

I would start out simply and don't mind sharing some of my tools to begin with.There is always the chance a person will not want to take course after starting and might hesitate buying their own tools.

I thought perhaps one thing might to have an introduction into card making so the people could see what it involved,then see how many would be interested.

I have also taught quilting in the past, but did not have to pay community club for use of room, ladies all brought their own supplies. I was paid directly from the ladies for teaching.
This group evolved into a small group that later continued at my home.

So this situation is new and I have time to think this over before excepting. I should mention that a friend unbeknown to me, took some of my cards to the Senior Centre to show my work and that is how this came about.

Please chime in .........any ideas big or small would be greatly appreciated.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 11:49 AM   #2  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

I really enjoyed teaching at our assisted living center a few years ago, and our agreement was much the same - they just paid me a flat fee per student for the class.

I didn't find that not having experience card making hurt at all - in fact - many had been accomplished artists - painters, porcelain painters, potters, etc. and most had a lot of creative experience.

I would definitely bring all the supplies and make sure your fee covers any consumables. Most of our supplies are so durable, you're not likely to have any destroyed.

The thing I learned was to avoid anything that required tying bows, etc. - they just didn't have the fine motor skills for that kind of thing and it wasn't enjoyable. They liked watercoloring images and just straight stamping - primarily birthday cards. I'd buy a few aquapainters, pack up your ink pads and stamps and have fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 11:55 AM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think your idea of a 'sampler' class is a good one, not least because you will be able to get an idea of skills, and also their capabilities- arthritis for instance might make stamping/colouring difficult, so maybe some sort of card kits, just pretty much assembling die cuts etc might be useful.It may also work if you take ready stamped images for colouring, for those who could colour, but not get to grips with stamping?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 03:15 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the idea of an "all about stamping" session. You could show what can be done at varying levels and with different tools and techniques. With samples of basic coloring, embossing, die cutting, watercoloring, stickers, and other techniques, the people in attendance could get an idea of what's out there as well as their own preferences. I worked with people with physical challenges, and they told me what they could - and could not - do. Most wanted birthday and thinking of you cards. I had basic kits made and to my surprise, they helped each other work around their abilities! Everyone left the intro session with one greeting card and envelope. I recall that one visually impaired person loved the texture of dry embossed images. She pieced together a simple collage of various folder images, added them to a card base, tied a ribbon, and had a beautiful card front! A partner did her stamping and coloring as needed. The group was less than 8 adults, completely doable for me. I will say that my first session's supplies were my own but I was paid for my time by the organization. After that, there was a flat fee per session which covered my time and supplies if the members didn't bring them. I did use my Cricut ahead of time to have die cuts available. Diane
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 05:14 PM   #5  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bet a lot of people don't have their own die cutting machine, so what about die cutting and paper piecing and gluing, with the addition of stamping for those who feel able and want to? A Big Shot and some wafer thin and steel rule dies could make really pretty shapes to glue on to a card base. You could bring not only card stock but also recycled items like pasta and cereal boxes etc. for die-cutting and inking, painting etc.

Speaking of painting, I think the Gelli plate is so good for seniors and those with different abilities, and you can stamp over the prints and make cards out of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 06:02 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

when I taught I found it easier for me to pack up "kits" of what I was going to have them make at the classes but, I did it in a stamp/scrapbook store and the store owner gave me these plastic zip lock baggies that were big enough for 12" papers to fit inside.
So, each person got a baggie and we did things a project at a time. (and that was time consuming) I am halfway thinking if I ever did it again maybe split the people into two groups and have each group work on something different at the same time? ( if they use different tools)

so, one thing you may want to think of is how big is the class? (number of people) and if you pick something that takes a while to do, you may want to pick something for them to make that you may have two of those tools to reduce the wait time for people?

esp. if no one has any tools they are bringing.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-18-2015, 07:39 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default could you use some paper?

for your classes? I can send some...
Amber

Quote:

Originally Posted by canada gooseView Post
I am looking for advice from non SU demos for this post as I think the approach might be different. However I would appreciate all and any point of view.

Here is the dilemma. I have been approached to teach beginners how to stamp and make cards. While I do this down south in the Winter, the ladies have all their supplies and are for the most part active card makers.

However, in this case they would have no supplies and the question is how do you do this keeping in mind that the Senior Centre would keep part of the tuition and I would still need to be paid for teaching and supplies.

I would start out simply and don't mind sharing some of my tools to begin with.There is always the chance a person will not want to take course after starting and might hesitate buying their own tools.

I thought perhaps one thing might to have an introduction into card making so the people could see what it involved,then see how many would be interested.

I have also taught quilting in the past, but did not have to pay community club for use of room, ladies all brought their own supplies. I was paid directly from the ladies for teaching.
This group evolved into a small group that later continued at my home.

So this situation is new and I have time to think this over before excepting. I should mention that a friend unbeknown to me, took some of my cards to the Senior Centre to show my work and that is how this came about.

Please chime in .........any ideas big or small would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by UnderstandBlue; 05-21-2015 at 01:31 PM.. Reason: fixed quote
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 05:38 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

Working with non-stampers can be a real challenge, but like Stacy, I prepare card kits before the session. In my packets are precut and prescored cards as well as preembossed and die cut pieces needed for the design. I usually have 10 stampers working at 5 stations (2 per station) so they end up with 5 different designs. Four of the cards will involve stamping only with a sample card for them to follow. I will be at the 5th station teaching a new technique.

An important thing that I have learned with beginners is never have them stamp the sentiment directly on the card front but always on a die cut piece that can be easily replaced. Also important is for them is to do all the stamping first and assemble last. Each of the tables has an baggie of extra pieces of the papers with will be stamped for use when a mistake is made (and a mistake is always made).

All this makes for a lot of work for the teacher, but results is less wasted materials and cards the ladies are pleased with.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 05:53 PM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Any stamping teachers here

You ladies are incredible!

First of all many of your suggestions are things I have already thought of or do when teaching down south.As the group are in a 55 and over community I have quite an age group, and I have sat down individually teaching them how to tie their bows while others help those who may have trouble seeing... a great group of ladies.

My group had as many as 15 at times or more, and yes I had to run back and forth or split the group with two different cards.I also provided a card for each group to have handy for reference at their table.

Amber: Bless you but I think I will be okay with paper with two local stores as well as good old Michael's. I did sneak a peak at your stash and you must belong to the group of "I never saw a paper I did not like" lol. Besides shipping to Canada would be a headache I am sure with mailing costs.Thanks so much for the offer.

So here is one area that I am struggling with. In he past when others have taught there, they also made up kits and I felt strongly about this. To me this is like a make and take. I told them that they couldn't learn by simply assembling pieces, but needed to know how to use trimmer, which way to fold their card stock and a few other basics. I was amazed how many were using a ruler and pencil to measure and cut out their card bases or layers. Needless to say once I showed them what a difference a trimmer made they all have them lol.

So how do you teach someone when you are doing all the work for them?
How much do you charge when you are then only supervising them putting your kit together. The supplies you have paid for and spend your time putting together?Lots more work for the teacher is right.

At what point are you a teacher and how do you combine teaching them when you are making up the kits?

So here is where I am stuck as to which is the way to go. No problem deciding on types of cards to make, as I have die cuts stamps punches embossing folders etc.

Once again asking your advice as to which way to go, and how do you decide on a price structure for the two different ways of teaching.... making kits or showing them how to make each card from start to finish.

If these ladies had their own supplies I would be approaching this differently. So could someone tell me if my approach and thought process is wrong.You helped tremendously so far, so please indulge me a little more. Thanks so much. Irene
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 06:38 PM   #10  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

I told them that they couldn't learn by simply assembling pieces, but needed to know how to use trimmer, which way to fold their card stock and a few other basics. ...

At what point are you a teacher and how do you combine teaching them when you are making up the kits?
Didn't you say they were experienced card makers? I don't think you can teach all levels simultaneously, and teach all things simultaneously as it's a bit overwhelming for you and for them!

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with a make and take as long as it has plenty of steps and techniques to try. I love when someone has scored and folded the base card, cut out the mats etc. so I can just get to the fun parts. A project from start to finish, especially if you don't have the skills or know the techniques, can be pretty overwhelming and very time-consuming.

What about just piling up a bunch of base cards and mats and setting up some technique stations, so they can go from one to the other learning how to do things that take their cards to another level? They could just glue the finished technique onto the card right there or take them home and work on them later.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 07:06 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I teach a group down south that are experienced now and have their own supplies. I have now been approached to teach non stampers back home.

Two different groups. It is the latter inexperienced group I am seeking advice on how to approach and how to charge.sorry for any misunderstanding.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 09:53 PM   #12  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,551 Likes on 667 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

You ladies are incredible!

First of all many of your suggestions are things I have already thought of or do when teaching down south.As the group are in a 55 and over community I have quite an age group, and I have sat down individually teaching them how to tie their bows while others help those who may have trouble seeing... a great group of ladies.

My group had as many as 15 at times or more, and yes I had to run back and forth or split the group with two different cards.I also provided a card for each group to have handy for reference at their table.

Amber: Bless you but I think I will be okay with paper with two local stores as well as good old Michael's. I did sneak a peak at your stash and you must belong to the group of "I never saw a paper I did not like" lol. Besides shipping to Canada would be a headache I am sure with mailing costs.Thanks so much for the offer.

So here is one area that I am struggling with. In he past when others have taught there, they also made up kits and I felt strongly about this. To me this is like a make and take. I told them that they couldn't learn by simply assembling pieces, but needed to know how to use trimmer, which way to fold their card stock and a few other basics. I was amazed how many were using a ruler and pencil to measure and cut out their card bases or layers. Needless to say once I showed them what a difference a trimmer made they all have them lol.

So how do you teach someone when you are doing all the work for them?
How much do you charge when you are then only supervising them putting your kit together. The supplies you have paid for and spend your time putting together?Lots more work for the teacher is right.

So here is where I am stuck as to which is the way to go. No problem deciding on types of cards to make, as I have die cuts stamps punches embossing folders etc.

Once again asking your advice as to which way to go, and how do you decide on a price structure for the two different ways of teaching.... making kits or showing them how to make each card from start to finish.

If these ladies had their own supplies I would be approaching this differently. So could someone tell me if my approach and thought process is wrong.You helped tremendously so far, so please indulge me a little more. Thanks so much. Irene
I understand what you're saying - and I really appreciate it - I like that you want to teach them from start to finish.

It depends what the student wants. If they want to come create 3 finished projects in an hour (I charge $10 for this) - then it's not practical NOT to kit for them. I cut the cardstock - and all they have to do is stamp, embellish and assemble. $10 (in my area) is a perfect price for that.

I think you'll find that's what they want to do - and not necessarily start from scratch like you would in your studio. You have to become a stamper before you go to that stage. I'd give them kits and do what poppydarling suggested.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 10:24 PM   #13  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've taught older ladies a few times - inexperienced ones. When you're starting out, even things like applying tape and removing the liner is a whole new experience. I made kits. Make sure you have extra supplies, because yes, mistakes will be made. Some people want to do an exact copy and some will want to do their own take on the suggested items. Even with only a few people, it takes a long time to "hold everyone's hand", so unless you know some can manage on their own, I would aim to streamline the process. Sadly, that does mean lots of prep work beforehand. I charged very little for my classes and it was SO much work. Best of luck!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-19-2015, 11:21 PM   #14  
Cardstock Collector

I prepare card kits before the session. In my packets are precut and prescored cards as well as preembossed and die cut pieces needed for the design.

Last edited by mattuojun; 05-19-2015 at 11:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2015, 04:34 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

I would also have a supply document. This would list tools and supplies that could be used on a card not only the ones that you are currently using.

I would have a check box in front of each tool/supply. This would enable anyone to take the list, check off what they've used with you and take that to purchase what they like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Wow, great advice once again. This gives me more insight as to what to focus on, and works best for teacher and student. Perhaps if I can inspire this group enough about card making they will then want to learn more of the basics later.

One more question, is it better to charge by the class or one price at the beginning. I would do an introduction showing what will be taught so they know what to expect.

The monetary question is harder than choosing what to teach.
I really like what you are all proposing, all well thought out.I want to make this enjoyable and fun for beginners,and not earn any more grey hair in the process.lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2015, 07:54 AM   #17  
Insane Embellisher

If you charge by class you won't know how many to prep for.

If you charge by a group of classes make sure you can easily break it down to per class in case there is a newbie who wants to join.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2015, 09:06 AM   #18  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 838 Likes on 277 Posts

I always charge per class and payment is due up front. Not sure how the senior center would work it. You may technically be a contractor and get paid when they pay the rest of the employees ( I taught at a community center once and I got paid when the rest of the employees got paid), or they may pay you immediately after the class.

I make up a sample for the class and then figure out how much the supplies will cost me, including adhesives. I then add for my time (I pay myself $18 an hour for the actual session (not prep work) and round it to the nearest whole dollar.

Find out how much the senior center will be keeping. If you want to leave the place with $10 per class attendee in your pocket and the SC wants $2 per class, you would charge $12 for the class. This has worked well for me and is very simple

I highly recommend kits to begin with. Some brand newbies are intimidated by the simple act of inking a stamp and putting it to paper. They would be totally overwhelmed with having to learn cutting, scoring, embossing, etc. Save that stuff for the people that come back

I'm currently developing a beginner's stamping class and am making a glossary of basic stamping techniques. I think it will make all the difference in the world if my new stampers have a reference book of sorts to go back to. Especially if they decide to start buying their own supplies.

Have fun and good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2015, 07:07 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

One thing to consider that working with seniors is not to overwhelm them with too much information. I know how much we love to share information but you won't know the age and memory capacity of the attendees.

To maximize your profit be sure to look at your paper scraps. Often, a class project design and colors are based on what I can use up. I always have a lot of scraps from previous classes and since they are likely to be the same size, I work the pre-cut size into the design so it saves me prep-time.

When I price a class I don't include a set amount per hour for me because it would probably put the class out of range. I think more in terms of what the market will bear. If I think I can only get $25 for 3 cards then I make sure my supply cost is below $5 dollars per person for all the cards. Then I make $20 per person and then I decide just how much work do I want to do based on the number of attendees. If the class is 8 people then I have $160 to spend on labor (design, prep, teaching, & set-up/clean-up, and travel). So, if design takes 3 hours, prep 5 hours, teaching 2 hours, set-up and clean up 2 hours, and travel 1 hour = 13 hours works out to $12/hour for me.

Be prepared for the fact that your supplies/tools can be ruined. I know we like to think most things are pretty durable, but you will be surprised how people can fail to follow instructions. If you're not in a position to replace a tool, die, etc. do not use it in your class. I would have them bring their own adhesive. It's rare to go to any kind of class where you don't have a supply list and adhesive can be costly in the long run.

Also regarding tools, take into consideration the wait time for using tools. If you are going to use die cuts, you can show them how the machine works and then have the die cuts in their kits. Not all seniors have the strength in their hands so they might like having the work done for them. If they have an interest in testing the machine, have scrap paper on hand. Also, this will cut down on the wait time. One more thing, some of the seniors may have mobility problems so getting to the die cut table may be difficult for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I am not surprised at the excellent advice and the thought process of all the ladies replying to this post.It is gratifying to hear from a number that have experience in this particular instance.

You have all brought up so many tips and tidbits and reasoning that are so helpful and well thought out.
I know that if I am going to have kits I will certainly have to limit the class, especially if it is on going.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2015, 11:02 AM   #21  
Kookie Creator

I, too, am impressed with the quality and variety of comments here! As a teacher of only a few sets of classes, to children, adolescents and older citizens, I found the kit approach to work as part of an intro session. Then I tried a series of classes with each one having a different technique demonstrated and applied. For those returning, I had a consumables supply list. Adhesive was at the top!
One of the things I did provide was to have a glossary of terms printed for each participant - I would heartily recommend going to the back pages of the UK publication Cardmaking and Papercraft. There is a section called "Toolbox" and they always provide 3 lists, from basics to advanced/experienced/fun stuff, with terms and definitions that we probably take for granted.
I have also brought back issues of my card magazines for people to look at for other ideas and recreational reading.
Where appropriate, I interject how this technique could be applied to scrapbooking, just in case some are interested. Cutting background mats, placement, color choices, etc. are common skill sets. In another class, part of the time was dedicated to new tools I acquired, and in this case, everyone got to make one envelope to match their card.
An evaluation form with 6 questions was provided, as this is standard practice for workshops at the sites. These are simple as well as open-ended. One comment made regarding a "new insight about this topic" was that there was a new-found appreciation for handmade cards. Price may dictate many purchases, but to acknowledge the creativity and effort of a crafter was quite an insight, I think. Have fun!
Diane, aka ciocidi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #22  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 838 Likes on 277 Posts

Just to clarify: my $18 an hour I pay myself is not added to the per person price. It's divided by my average number of attendees (usually around 6) so it would add $3 per person to the class fee
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2015, 04:43 AM   #23  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

Had another thought - you could offer kits that they could take home to do after the class. This will help them reinforce their skills and keep them interested in coming back to another class. Seniors don't always have access to get out and shop so if the center will allow you to have kits to sell it would be a nice gesture for the seniors and add a bit to your profit. If they won't let you sell kits, consider giving them some extra pieces in their class kits to complete at home. They could color the items in the class and then assemble them afterwards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2015, 04:44 AM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 930 Likes on 851 Posts

I have not read all the replys here yet but Kits are the way to go for me. I do card making at a local nursing home and I buy sandwich bags from the dollar store...cut and stamp all elements and put them in the bag. I also have kids watercolor paints from the dollar store (those trays with like 8 or 10 differents color cakes on them) I set one of those between 4 ladies to share. Works great!! My group will never want to buy their own tools seeing how they are in a nursing home but at least they can still be creative!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2015, 05:57 AM   #25  
Pearl-ExPert

Seniors are my main source of stamping income at the moment - have been teaching classes for over 5 years, and sometimes I have 4 on the go at once. All of these are in senior day care or assisted care facilities.

Things learned:

1. Keep it simple - as mentioned above, too much information is overwhelming. My clients love embossing, but need help. They are unable to colour fine detail, and so bold image stamps are the best for them use. If I want an image that is not easy for them to use, I pre-stamp the image for them, and go from there. Punched and die cut pieces are great it they are not too small.

2. Kits are the way to go within reason - sometimes I still keep some pieces out separate so they don't get dropped or glued on before necessary. Sometimes if I'm using paper or embossed images, I'll put an "x" on the side that needs the glue. I always take pics of my sample and print off several so the clients can get an idea of how their card might look -there are always people who take it and go with it and pull something completely different than what I've done.

3. Cost - find out what kind of budget the centre has and go from there - one of my places has a tighter budget than the others, yet I have learned soooo much from this group, that I sometimes just swallow the difference. Another group pays for my gas to travel to their site - 40 min each way. This would be in addition to what I charge for their group.

4. HELPERS - I won't go in to a group unless there is help - one of my groups is 20, 2 are around 15 each, and another one 10. The facilities provide volunteers to help, or sometimes I take a friend with me. I like about 1 per 5-6 people depending on the ability of the stampers. This helpes with the stamping, gluing, and writing occasional messages in the completed cards. This also keeps the purple ink from coming in contact with the yellow pad - yep, it happens!!

5. I use wood mounted stamps - easier for the clients to wrap their fingers around them, and we're not changing the cling mounts off and on during the class.

5. Seniors are a lot of fun, and even though most of mine aren't able to live independantly, their faces light up when they see something they made - stamping takes over where they used to paint, crochet, knit, etc.

Canada Goose - where do you live? I'm out here on the East Coast
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2015, 04:29 PM   #26  
Pearl-ExPert

Default Any stamping teachers here

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendaruseView Post
Seniors are my main source of stamping income at the moment - have been teaching classes for over 5 years, and sometimes I have 4 on the go at once. All of these are in senior day care or assisted care facilities.

Things learned:

1. Keep it simple - as mentioned above, too much information is overwhelming. My clients love embossing, but need help. They are unable to colour fine detail, and so bold image stamps are the best for them use. If I want an image that is not easy for them to use, I pre-stamp the image for them, and go from there. Punched and die cut pieces are great it they are not too small.

2. Kits are the way to go within reason - sometimes I still keep some pieces out separate so they don't get dropped or glued on before necessary. Sometimes if I'm using paper or embossed images, I'll put an "x" on the side that needs the glue. I always take pics of my sample and print off several so the clients can get an idea of how their card might look -there are always people who take it and go with it and pull something completely different than what I've done.

3. Cost - find out what kind of budget the centre has and go from there - one of my places has a tighter budget than the others, yet I have learned soooo much from this group, that I sometimes just swallow the difference. Another group pays for my gas to travel to their site - 40 min each way. This would be in addition to what I charge for their group.

4. HELPERS - I won't go in to a group unless there is help - one of my groups is 20, 2 are around 15 each, and another one 10. The facilities provide volunteers to help, or sometimes I take a friend with me. I like about 1 per 5-6 people depending on the ability of the stampers. This helpes with the stamping, gluing, and writing occasional messages in the completed cards. This also keeps the purple ink from coming in contact with the yellow pad - yep, it happens!!

5. I use wood mounted stamps - easier for the clients to wrap their fingers around them, and we're not changing the cling mounts off and on during the class.

5. Seniors are a lot of fun, and even though most of mine aren't able to live independantly, their faces light up when they see something they made - stamping takes over where they used to paint, crochet, knit, etc.

Canada Goose - where do you live? I'm out here on the East Coast
Hi, so much of what you ave said relates to what I already do when I teach down south. These ladies are seniors, some into their eighties, but very keen on their card making and always up for a new technique. These ladies are a pleasure o share with.

However the ladies at home would most likely be all new this, so I think I will know better after initial meeting what their expectations are and what techniques would best suit this particular group.using the great suggestions in this thread.

I live in Canada in the Province of Manitoba. We are best known for our Polar Bear Conservation as Hudson Bay is way north of where my city is. The city is Winnipeg and its the city that Winnie the Pooh is named (true story I once posted here).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-28-2015, 10:38 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Bump
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-31-2015, 02:16 PM   #28  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOBBYSUEView Post
I have not read all the replys here yet but Kits are the way to go for me. I do card making at a local nursing home and I buy sandwich bags from the dollar store...cut and stamp all elements and put them in the bag. I also have kids watercolor paints from the dollar store (those trays with like 8 or 10 differents color cakes on them) I set one of those between 4 ladies to share. Works great!! My group will never want to buy their own tools seeing how they are in a nursing home but at least they can still be creative!
I've only seen one mention of envelopes. I put my kits for our monthly Stamping/card group (1 do a kit every 5 to 6 mos. depending on who is absent) into an envelope sometimes- if it all fits. These ladies have envelopes usually, I do use baggies sometimes, and envelopes for sure if the card is not an A2 size.
I have just been asked to teach card making at a new 55 plus apt. bldg. that a friend just moved into. I won't have to do one before July when the "arts and crafts" room is ready, but am reading this all with interest. I am definately not letting anymore than 10 per class, as that is the size of our Stamping/card club, and things can get a little crazy there - one has dementia and one is mentally challenged but we all help when ever we can.:p
Reply With Quote Likes