Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-14-2009, 03:41 PM   #41  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think first of all, who ever originated this thread needs to define Casing. Then everyone can respond per that definition. It appears each post on this thread is being answered by a different definition of the term Case.

I also don't understand why someone would create a card then want to say that the card was someone else's idea. YOU made the card, therefore it is YOUR idea and card.

I certainly am not going to put someone else's name on my card or give them credit for a card I created.

I don't have a gallery on this forum and truly don't care to based on all the comments that this forum creates.

I thought this forum was for questions about techniques, tips for doing paper crafting and other general questions. Keeping it as a learning and sharing forum we can all learn something and also benefit from everyone's knowledge and experience.

Patti
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #42  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I think first of all, who ever originated this thread needs to define Casing. Then everyone can respond per that definition. It appears each post on this thread is being answered by a different definition of the term Case.

I also don't understand why someone would create a card then want to say that the card was someone else's idea. YOU made the card, therefore it is YOUR idea and card.

I certainly am not going to put someone else's name on my card or give them credit for a card I created.

I don't have a gallery on this forum and truly don't care to based on all the comments that this forum creates.

I thought this forum was for questions about techniques, tips for doing paper crafting and other general questions. Keeping it as a learning and sharing forum we can all learn something and also benefit from everyone's knowledge and experience.

Patti
I think that the original poster in around about way is defining caseing as looking at someone elses card and creating a replica of it yourself.

I think that it is only polite to say that you got the insperation for a card from someone else, especially if you make the card exactly like there's. You are not putting there name on your card you are just saying that you used there card for insperation.

I don't have a gallery on here either and it is because I don't feel confident enough to do one not because I am guilty of caseing alot of works.

Caseing someone else's card is a form of learning, in my opinion, I have to learn how they put the card together and using the techniques that they have used to achive the look they did. SCS is also a place that we can ask questions and share opinions, like the one that the original poster asked.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #43  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Send a message via Skype™ to BadSherry

Quote:

Patti
Because it is the polite thing to do!

If you are inspired by a particular card and CASE, then it is not only polite but also flattering to the originator to say so.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #44  
Pearl-ExPert

Most of the time I give credit to the cards I CASE even though sometimes the end result is totally different. But as someone said above, it is quite flattering for the original poster to see that they inspired somebody. But sometimes it does happen that I see some card in the gallery that really impressed me and I either forget to bookmark it or put it in my favorites so I might not have given credit.

In some way or the other every creation is inspired by something, colors in a catalog, things in nature, cards that I have seen or gotten.

But I just love SCS -forums and gallery. Awesome group of people and lots of inspiration and cannot forget the enablers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #45  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by guateliciaView Post
I was wondering what the general thought is about CASEing. I am not good at coming up with my own designs, and if I waited until I came up with something, I would rarely make any cards. That is why, if you look at my gallery, the majority of my cards are CASEd. I make sure to give credit and put a link to the original, and I usually PM the person I'm caseing to let them know.

I guess the main question is: If you saw any gallery and realized that most of the cards are CASEd, would you mind?

Thanks for your thoughts!
No, not at all.

It is considered good form to credit the source, if you deliberately copied someone else's artwork, which you say you are attentive to.

That's lovely, and highly flattering to almost every stamper I know! :mrgreen:

---------------

Submitting copies of someone else's artwork for publication or personal/commercial gain is a different matter entirely, and a separate discussion from what I believe you are asking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-15-2009, 06:56 AM   #46  
Embossing Fanatic

That is one of the reasons I love sites like this one. You get so many great ideas on what to do with your card. I love any of the sketch challenges. It is amazing what some of the ladies come up with. Some times just looking through someones gallery will get your creative juices running. Unless you are coping a card exactly I see no problem with caseing and learning from the others in the group. That is what we are all here for, to learn and inspire others.
Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #47  
Insane Embellisher

I like reading that a card was "inspried by" someone else's idea. A few times I have set out to actually duplicate an idea, even then I can't do it and end up changing and editing it considerably. I like using sketches too. When you look at sites like Pagemaps, or the Becky Higgins sketches, you can see that people change things a lot, even when using the sketch as a starting point.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 09:26 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

Location: VA. But my heart is split between the U.S. and Guatemala!

Quote:

Patti
Patti - Hi, my name is Carmen or Guatelicia. I am the whoever who originated this thread.

My question on CASEing was general... sometimes an exact replica of a card, sometimes not. A lot of very nice people have answered that question already and I thank them for it.

I think that CASEing falls under General Stamping Talk, and if it wasn't that way, I'm sure the moderators would have moved it by now.

I understand that you personally don't seem to like the idea of Caseing, but I don't understand the reason for the tone of your post. It seems like attacking. Funny when you read your highlighted sentence above.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #49  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There was no tone meant in my post, just giving my opinion as everyone else on here is free to give. I'm sorry if anyone else was offended, that certainly was not the intention.

I have written a private message to the original poster in response to clear the confusion on my post.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 10:28 AM   #50  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by guateliciaView Post
I was wondering what the general thought is about CASEing. I am not good at coming up with my own designs, and if I waited until I came up with something, I would rarely make any cards. That is why, if you look at my gallery, the majority of my cards are CASEd. I make sure to give credit and put a link to the original, and I usually PM the person I'm caseing to let them know.

I guess the main question is: If you saw any gallery and realized that most of the cards are CASEd, would you mind?

Thanks for your thoughts!

No, I don't mind at all! I think 90% of my cards are CASED to some extent...maybe not exactly, but usually pretty close...and I demonstrate them that way...but I always tell people when I'm demoing a card that I didn't design...they don't care. All they want is a nice card. There are so many beautiful creations on here...why wouldn't you copy them? As long as you're not trying to take credit for the design you're good.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #51  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Patti

I think when they talk about casing and giving credit to the originator of the work you cased, they are talking about in your SCS Gallery, not on the card it's self. If I case a card and upload it to my Gallery, I'll give credit to the original poster with thanks for their inspiration, and a link to their card. But when I then give this card to a friend or family member, I just sign my own name. Not ''this card is the idea of Sally Jones on SCS''.

Karen

Looky Looky
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 10:55 AM   #52  
Glitter Guru

Carmen---look at my gallery, it is all mostly cased or inspired by others, I too give credit to the original design I saw. My problem is when I save it to my desktop and then can't figure out where I saved it from, LOL.
I think you are creating and caseing is part of creating IMO---not all of us can be like the few that are amazing and so durn creative, that I stand in awe of at times. Love what you are doing and keep uploading!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 12:46 PM   #53  
Kookie Creator

I've been making cards a long time and like someone said earlier, there is nothing new under the sun. It is probably almost mathemattically impossible for any new layouts to be made. When I look at the galleries I don't think that the person that uploaded a particular card created the layout themselves. They may have created their own twist on it but that's about it.

I'd never heard of the word CASE until recently when I became a SU demo and I have really learned to hate that word. If you are going to copy something exact or almost exact-- just say you copied it!!----but if something inspires you and you take that inspiration and make something completely different then by all means take the credit for yourself. I would never credit someone for a layout in and of itself. I think that's a little crazy because layouts for cards are basically the same ones graphic artists have used for years for print ads. They are just now done in card form. But believe me those layouts are not new. Maybe embellished a little different but definately nothing new.

Layouts are just ideas. The US copyright office won't even copyright ideas! This may be a little OT but that bugs me too when crafters and stampers write lines on their blogs that the projects on their blog are copyrighted to them. You can't copyright ideas. Now if you made a product with that idea and it was original (very tough to copyright a stamped card though) then you might could say that. You can however, copyright the photos of your projects and you can copyright a video, tutuorial (if it's original) and the text on your blog but not the project ideas themselves. If you don't want people to be inspired by your projects to create their own without even the thought of crediting you then don't upload them to the internet of all places!

I think the biggest problem is that like with SU, they recommend the designer paper, cardstock, and ink and everything that goes together and all these people use the same designer paper, the same cardstock, the same ink and yes--you are going to have a multitude of things in the gallery that maybe have the same design down to the stamp and paper.

I haven't uploaded too many things to the gallery. Before I do I search and search to make sure that there isn't anything similar or done in the same style before I upload it because if someone does look at my gallery, I want it to be unique but I know that a lot of people here use their gallery as a place to store their work and share it with friends and family and I'm all for sharing whatever you make and wherever you got your inspiration, then just be proud of it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 01:06 PM   #54  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2BCreativeView Post
I've been making cards a long time and like someone said earlier, there is nothing new under the sun. It is probably almost mathemattically impossible for any new layouts to be made. When I look at the galleries I don't think that the person that uploaded a particular card created the layout themselves. They may have created their own twist on it but that's about it.

I'd never heard of the word CASE until recently when I became a SU demo and I have really learned to hate that word. If you are going to copy something exact or almost exact-- just say you copied it!!----but if something inspires you and you take that inspiration and make something completely different then by all means take the credit for yourself. I would never credit someone for a layout in and of itself. I think that's a little crazy because layouts for cards are basically the same ones graphic artists have used for years for print ads. They are just now done in card form. But believe me those layouts are not new. Maybe embellished a little different but definately nothing new.

Layouts are just ideas. The US copyright office won't even copyright ideas! This may be a little OT but that bugs me too when crafters and stampers write lines on their blogs that the projects on their blog are copyrighted to them. You can't copyright ideas. Now if you made a product with that idea and it was original (very tough to copyright a stamped card though) then you might could say that. You can however, copyright the photos of your projects and you can copyright a video, tutuorial (if it's original) and the text on your blog but not the project ideas themselves. If you don't want people to be inspired by your projects to create their own without even the thought of crediting you then don't upload them to the internet of all places!

I think the biggest problem is that like with SU, they recommend the designer paper, cardstock, and ink and everything that goes together and all these people use the same designer paper, the same cardstock, the same ink and yes--you are going to have a multitude of things in the gallery that maybe have the same design down to the stamp and paper.

I haven't uploaded too many things to the gallery. Before I do I search and search to make sure that there isn't anything similar or done in the same style before I upload it because if someone does look at my gallery, I want it to be unique but I know that a lot of people here use their gallery as a place to store their work and share it with friends and family and I'm all for sharing whatever you make and wherever you got your inspiration, then just be proud of it.
Thanks for your well-thought-out post, and I agree with you.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #55  
Stazon Splitcoast

I don't mind if people CASE. I can not CASE. I've tried but it's almost impossible for me. I have to gather all my stuff and just think for a while and then create my own thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #56  
Rubber Obsessor

My dear Mother learned to oil paint in a class where the students were given assignments to copy the works of the great masters. I remember growing up with her reproductions of "Pinky" and "Blue Boy" on the walls.
What better way to learn our own card crafting skills than to start by emulating the works of the great masters of card-crafting? Thanks to all you wonderful stampers out there for posting your beautiful creations. I am learning every time I view your cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #57  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default More than one issue

I think we have to differentiate between using someone's card as inspiration vs. Copying a card right down to the paper, ink and stamps. I think it would be rude to copy EXACTLY and post the card to your blog or gallery but you could feel free to make it to give away or keep for yourself. As soon as you change one major thing like focal image or paper or several smaller things like ink colour or embellishments, it becomes YOURS. As several people have mentioned, we take inspiration from everything we see, on the Internet, from magazines, from cards we are given, from LIFE, whether we realize it or not. Whether or not we publish something (a gallery is a form of publishing) and add the inspiration source for me is a matter of how recognizable the source is and how polite we are. I don't think it is required unless it really is a very direct inspiration. Remember, while we may think that it is obvious where we got the idea, very few of us actually see the same cards. Most of us have no time to look at all the cards so we won't notice if a card is CASEd anyways! When I look through cards, I scan really quickly. Had I looked at the original posters gallery ( though I rarely look through a particular persons whole gallery) AND saw the original cards, I probably couldn't even tell! The cards that were CASEd could have been made weeks or months, even years earlier! So don't sweat it. Giving the source of inspiration and letting the original artist know is polite but not necessary!
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes