Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #1  
Kookie Creator

Location: VA. But my heart is split between the U.S. and Guatemala!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your thoughts on CASEing

I was wondering what the general thought is about CASEing. I am not good at coming up with my own designs, and if I waited until I came up with something, I would rarely make any cards. That is why, if you look at my gallery, the majority of my cards are CASEd. I make sure to give credit and put a link to the original, and I usually PM the person I'm caseing to let them know.

I guess the main question is: If you saw any gallery and realized that most of the cards are CASEd, would you mind?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

No, my thoughts are you are creating......
If it helps getting general ideas ......so be it. I personally think it's a huge compliment to be CASed......!!!

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:08 PM   #3  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stitchinstampinView Post
No, my thoughts are you are creating......
If it helps getting general ideas ......so be it. I personally think it's a huge compliment to be CASed......!!!

Lori
I would agree!

I sure hope IMASTAMPIN feels the same way...because I just saw a card in her gallery that I think the creativeness is ROCKIN' and I want to CASE the idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #4  
Hardware Hotshot

Case, Case, Case!!! I am all for it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:13 PM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

If a gallery is full of cards that were cased, I would have no problem with it. I think we have all cased at one point or another. We all get ideas from others that is why we cruise the gallery. Personally, I am with you, I would not be making very many cards if I did not case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Of course not, especially if credit is given! CASEing means you take inspiration from somewhere or someone and then make it your own. I love seeing how different people can use the same basic idea and then take it in so many different directions!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 06:24 PM   #7  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope case-ing doesn't get a bad rep! I think it's wonderful when someone inspires any of us!

When you think about it, there are only so many things you can do with a piece of paper that is 4-1/4 x 5-1/2.

Now, copying something EXACTLY and selling it, or submitting it to a magazine as your own, no.

But all of us everyday, make a card, send a card people really appreciate ideas from creative people.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Send a message via Skype™ to kaloso05

I think that CASEing cards is a wonderful way for you to explore technique, color and layout without having to reinvent the wheel everytime you start a project. Over time you will probably find a style that fits seems to speak to you and as you CASE that style you will eventually find your own stamping "voice". Until then CASE away! Immitation is absolutely the best form of flattery!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #9  
Kookie Creator

Thanks for your opinions! I feel better now...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

When you get down to it, there is only so much you can do with a A2 sized card. There aren't really any layouts that haven't been done before, and really how many color combos are there. So all cards are 'cased' to some degree because nothing we do is ever truly original. It is, in that no two cards are ever exactly the same, but the idea probably came from something we saw somewhere and just don't remember seeing.

Does this make sense to anyone? I guess what I am trying to say is that nothing is truly new under the sun. I think you should always give credit where credit is due, there are some amazing artists here and I am not in any way taking trying to take away from their talent. I am just saying that everything we do has probably been done before, we are just putting our own personal spin on it. KWIM.

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 08:23 PM   #11  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaloso05View Post
I think that CASEing cards is a wonderful way for you to explore technique, color and layout without having to reinvent the wheel everytime you start a project. Over time you will probably find a style that fits seems to speak to you and as you CASE that style you will eventually find your own stamping "voice". Until then CASE away! Immitation is absolutely the best form of flattery!!
I so agree with this! I very much want to learn the *art* of crafting - but usually am limited in the time I can commit to creating something at any given time (my 3 sons keep me fairly hopping and I can only stay up so late.) It is by seeing other crafters examples that I can break down what they've done, try to re-create it, and learn from it.

I've always understood C.A.S.E. to be: Copy And Share Everything. I suppose it could also mean: Create And Share Everything. Either way, if someone were to copy something I did I would be flattered. As far as someone using it (idea-wise) to re-create and sell - well, I haven't thought as much about that. On the one hand, it could seem cheesy - but then again, if I'M not doing the selling (for whatever reason) then that's my own choice/fault. Now, submitting to a magazine as an original design, I don't think it would be right to do that if it's not my personal creation.

I love CASE-ing though - I certainly feel like I learn so much by re-creating a beautiful piece of work. Even if I don't have all the same parts, I can get the general idea and discover how to put together a lovely piece of art!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 09:58 PM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I don't think anyone should feel bad about casing. We almost all do it to some degree.
Copying and selling or submitting for publication or contests is something else altogether. Those should only be original works as much as possible.

Most people begin by casing and eventually start adding their own spin or changes. It's awfully intimadating to look at the supplies and begin from nothing.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

CASE away...It's the best way to learn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 AM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much everything I ever did has been at the very least inspired by someone or something else. A lot of cards in my gallery are inspired by sources I can no longer identify. I'm sure there's a source somewhere and if someone knows one, please let me know so I can acknowledge it! I'm not very original, LOL! That's one reason why I would never sell or profit from my "creations"...it would feel like stealing to me. I'm in it for the fun of it.

Off to check out your gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 04:36 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

Even when you do CASE unless it's an exact duplicate you are putting a little bit of yourself and your own creativity into it. I a personally am not all that creative so I will see a card and something about it might give me an idea whether it's a color combo or a different placement of an embellishment. I hope that people who are CASED are proud because it means you have created something fantastic and someone wants to be able to be as good as you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

Location: The weeds are popping up, and I'm having asthma issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by guateliciaView Post
I was wondering what the general thought is about CASEing. I am not good at coming up with my own designs, and if I waited until I came up with something, I would rarely make any cards. That is why, if you look at my gallery, the majority of my cards are CASEd. I make sure to give credit and put a link to the original, and I usually PM the person I'm caseing to let them know.

I guess the main question is: If you saw any gallery and realized that most of the cards are CASEd, would you mind?

Your name is beautiful, and you and me both! My gallery is full of CASEs. The few times I've come up with my own idea, I've been so disappointed in the results. I, too give credit in my gallery.
Leah SCS Member #38898
His Holy Name Challenge http://triplethescraps.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 05:11 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Well, if I were to ever get the courage to start a gallery, I assure you it'd be almost all CASEs. Thank goodness for SCS gallery to jump start my creative process. The folks on this sight are SOOOOO talented and generous to share that talent with all of us CASErs. I try to put my own spin on a project, but I'm sure nearly all my "creations" can be credited to someone on this site.

Thanks again for all the inspiration.

Have fun CASEing and sharing YOUR creations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

No I don't mind CASEing at ALL. I think its a fun thing to do and also would be honored if somebody else cased one of my cards. There is really nothing wrong with it. There is a tiny pitfall though, if you have a great idea and have it 'out there' - get barely any comments (blog or gallery) and then see your idea published in a printed magazine copied to a T.... that's a bit upsetting ;) But again, casing is super fun no matter which end you are on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #19  
Matboard Maniac

I thought that that was the whole point of this site...to get ideas from other crafty people! I think that caseing a card or scrap page would be a huge compliment to the person you got the inspiration from.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 11:35 AM   #20  
Toy
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't mind CASEing at all.. in fact, I would guess that is why projects/cards get favorited. When I first started stamping, I cased a few cards here on SCS.... changing a couple things each time and before I knew it I was coming up with my own ideas. I think it has been said before, but that is how we learn! Case away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #21  
Hardware Hotshot

It's funny I come upon this thread today. For some reason I was thinking about this today and I've not been stamping today and I haven't case-d in a while but I thought about asking this very question.

I think I was thinking about all I've learned from this site and how when I see things now (like new tools, such as nesties) I get my own ideas, even before I look at the galleries.

When I first found this site I was in awe of the beautiful cards and I'd just look at them, for HOURS wishing I could do this or that. I too, case-d several cards from here, changing a thing or two or more depending on what I had on hand because most of us don't have EVERYTHING to make the card EXACTLY the same. I'd then start to see a card and a thought would come to me to make a card like it but with a totally different stamp set and colors and then it becomes a totally different card. I credit this entire site and ALL those on it for what I've learned here.

Keep on case-ing and adding your own, you'll soon learn a style that is ALL you! I might suggest reading the tutorials too, you're mind will start reeling with thoughts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

It's all been said....I totally believe in Casing....I have tried so many new techniques that I wouldn't have simply because I saw some beautiful work in the gallery. I try to always give credit to the originator, but I also think that to be CASE'd is flattering.

Now if I could just get people to comment on my cards!!! I get depressed when I post a card and no one says anything...

I LOVE THIS SITE!!!! Thanks for all your inspiration, everyone!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 01:47 PM   #23  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I wouldnt mind at all

Keep on stamping and CASEing ;)
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty much all of my cards are based off of something I've seen somewhere, and changed a bit here or there, whether it's part of the layout or the colors or stamps/images/embellishments. It's how I create things. I just see something and put my own little spin on it. So I hope people don't mind it when others CASE, because that's what I do
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 127 Posts

my thoughts are if you don't want to be cased-then don't share by uploading here.
once it's here i feel it's all free game.
just do give credit to those you case.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 03:21 PM   #26  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToyView Post
I don't mind CASEing at all.. in fact, I would guess that is why projects/cards get favorited. When I first started stamping, I cased a few cards here on SCS.... changing a couple things each time and before I knew it I was coming up with my own ideas. I think it has been said before, but that is how we learn! Case away!
I agree with Holly here too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 03:28 PM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This is a subject that comes up from time to time and many people have differing views. First and foremost, out of respect for the original artist, you should always give credit (which I see that you have mentioned). I say this again bc many people do not understand that our cards can be considered original artwork (obviously the images are copyright to the stamp co.). That being said, I am FOR CASEing, as I think that is a way to learn. When I first started stamping, I would STARE at the stamper's that I admired cards. I would see what they did and learn how they did it and incorporate it into my cards. Obviously a gallery full of CASEs is not as "fun" as an original one, but it is a means to getting better and developing your own style. CASE away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #28  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wine4meView Post
Now if I could just get people to comment on my cards!!! I get depressed when I post a card and no one says anything...
If you want more comments, try participating in some of the challenges. People often will look at those cards and make more comments on them. Otherwise, cards get lost in the huge sea of daily uploads. Do you always comment on every card you look at in the gallery? Try looking at how many views you have instead. Something in the card stood out from the rest for people to click on it for a closer look.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #29  
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:

I'm so glad you posted & asked, as I have never made a gallery because I don't/can't design - I CASE everything. These answers make me feel much better ladies, thank you for the support (from all of the CASE-ers!)

Last edited by teacher4416; 01-10-2009 at 04:05 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Oh, yeah - CASE! It's the best way to get inspiration. I usually (if I can remember who made it!) put the link to the original artist, but that's okay. I most times forget who it was or where it was, and no one minds!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 06:30 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

You mean we can create cards without caseing? LOL. I have alot of printed copies of cards that I have cased and want to try and create at a later date. I also have bought a few stamps because of cards I have seen and cased because the stamp and card caught my eye. I don't have a gallery mainly because most of the cards I make are cased, also because I am very critical of the cards I make and don't think they come close to the ones I see here in the gallery. I agree that if you case a card and put it in the gallery you should give credit where credit is due. I get so many ideas here that it makes my head spin and my bank account shudder.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-10-2009, 07:10 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

I don't mind at all! I always try to give credit to the original when I can.

Diane

Fan Club Member
My Neglected Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 04:19 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I always think of CASE as being Copy and Selectively Edit - so I try to copy up to a point but make some changes here and there. Well, sometimes you have to if you don't have that particular stamp or those colours LOL! But that's part of the fun and kick starts you developing your own ideas.

I think it's important to give credit if I CASE a card.

Copying is part of the industry in a way. Stamp companies put pictures of card/scrapbook page examples in their catalogues - I'm sure they expect those samples to be inspiring and to be copied. My LSS has loads of card examples and are happy for folks to take pics, I've got some great ideas for cards from those samples - and supported my LSS by putting money in the till!

Also, at those times when your mojo goes walkabout, CASEing at least keeps you involved with crafting and that's got to be a good thing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #34  
Kookie Creator

Thank you for all the replies! I was just getting to the point where I was afraid to upload cards thinking that somebody may say: "Look at all the caseing! Can't she ever come up with anything original?"
You have all made me feel much better!!! Now, I guess I better get some stamping done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 01:18 PM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I think casing is a compliment. As long as you are giving credit to the creator of what you've cased, I think it's fine. I would be honored if someone cased my cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 01:39 PM   #36  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

That's one of the reasons why I do the Featured Stamper Challenges. It helps me to create and try new things from their ideas but with using a different format. Try it sometime. It's amazing. Yes, it is also a compliment to the person you are casing. If they are not the FS, I like to PM that person to let them and that I will be casing their card, and if I did to make sure to link that card you cased into your post.
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #37  
Polyshrink Goddess

I use whatever resources are out there to get ideas and to help me be a better stamper. If you don't give credit to the person who created it, it's basically stealing. With that being said, I don't do much brayering because I'm just not good at it. I'm still learning and so I went to the tutorials and found Michelle's "Brayered Sky". Even after going through the tutorial twice, I just couldn't get the sky to look natural. From this idea, I ended up just using the sponges. I've attached what I made with using sponges instead of a brayer. I used the color combos that Michelle had used in her tutorial, but went with another technique and it gave me the idea of adding some embellishments. If I didn't have the card sketch files and the gallery, it would be harder to gain inspiration. This card is under my "try again" (brayering) category.
Attached Thumbnails
Your thoughts on CASEing-brayer-attempt-00003.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 02:27 PM   #38  
Rubber Obsessor

Mama said that imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. Even when I CASE I wind up changing things that make it mine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:14 PM   #39  
Mad Swapper

Hi Carmen,

I would be honored if someone CASEd my work as long as I was given credit. I look at different galleries and do not care if the work is CASEd or not.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-14-2009, 03:15 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I am sorry, but I wouldn't even notice if the cards had been cased! I think if you need to look at other's cards in order to create your own cards, who cares!? You are still making the cards so it is still YOUR card. I use sketches a lot when making things in a hurry.
Reply With Quote Likes