Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-17-2007, 04:54 AM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter who lives in Michigan and has a wonderful JoAnn's and Michael's nearby. I shop there every time I visit. Until recently my town only had JoAnn's, and I get frustrated everytime I go. The craft supplies are very limited, stock doesn't changes, and they do not carry the red liner sticky tape. I tried to ask the manager about carrying it, and you would have though I had two heads. I give up. Now I just go to Hobby Lobby--lots of sales and good supply of stock.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 04:55 AM   #42  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by beksterView Post
It's funny reading people's experiences with their local Joann's stores. The subject caught my attention mostly because of an unusual experience I had at our store. The store itself isn't so bad. Though their supply of stamping stuff is minimal, and very unpredictable.

I can't go in there anymore without thinking of this particular event. . . .

As is usually the case, there was only one person working the check-out register. I was in line for a while behind 2 or 3 people, and as I waited I was talking to a friend on my cell phone. I had ONE item, and had my cash in hand ready to pay when it was my turn. But when it was my turn, the lady at the register said, "When you finish your conversation, I will ring up your order."
WHAT THE ****???? I have NEVER had that happen before, anywhere!

Maybe it's rude to talk on the phone while you spend your own money at a store, but no other stores have ever minded taking my $$$$ while I talk on the phone. Not to change the subject of Joann's stores, but any thoughts on this??? Maybe this should be a new thread..."cell phone etiquette."
I work at an LSS and I do find it rude when someone checks out and is on their cell phone, since i have to interupt them to tell them how much they owe, etc. I mean if it's an emergency then that's different, but what is so important that someone needs to be on their cell phone 24/7??!!:rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 04:58 AM   #43  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

LOL!

Yes, on everything being on sale so you can't use your coupon on anything! The last 3 or 4 times I've tried to use a coupon at Joann's the items I wanted to buy were on sale with no sign in the store and nothing in the sale flyer to indicate that it was. It used to be they would let you take your 40% off the original price if something was on sale, but they won't let you do that any more. My solution? I've been taking my Joann's coupons to Michael's instead. Stupid Joann's doesn't realize that they are driving people to shop elsewhere with their dumb policy.

As far as stores not waiting on people who are talking on their cell phones, maybe it's a worse problem around here, but I've seen a lot of stores that have a sign posted saying, "You will not be waited on until you finish your cell phone conversation" or something to that effect. Just wish there was a similar sign that says, "Store employees will not be paid for the time they spend talking or texting on cell phones while waiting on customers." I was at CVS the other day and the guy who was waiting on me was TEXTING on his phone while he was waiting on me! And I don't know how many times I've been in a store, went to check out at a cash register and the cashier was chatting to someone on his/her cell phone all through my transaction with them. I guess it's at least nice to know WHY they won't talk to you...I've also been in stores where any attempt to be pleasant to the cashier with small talk has been met with stony silence...:rolleyes:

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 06:30 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

The Jo-Anns in my town is horrible, as everyone else has said, very small and with limited scrapbooking supplies. However, in Downingtown, which is about 30 minutes away, there is an absolutely wonderful Jo-anns store. It's very big, has tons of scrapbooking, is clean, organized....I wish it was closer!

I wish they had Hobby Lobbys in PA, I love going there whenever I go to KY or CO to visit friends and relatives. Maybe I should write my congressman to attempt to get one here...

Have a super sparkly day!
My Gallery
My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hquinzelle.......I agree with you. I'm in S Jersey and the 2 JoAnns nearest me are the pits. Old, unkept and the merchandise seems to have been there since the dark ages. The workers don't even know the new products that the website advertises. I also never see coupons to the store like others on this board mention.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 06:46 AM   #46  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Rubber Room Resident

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I went yesterday to get the Take Ten magazine with my 40% off coupon but they would not honor it because it rang up at a whopping 10% off. So I headed across the street and used my coupon at Michael's like Jantink does

Joanne

www.sleepyinseattle.net
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #47  
Die Cut Diva

Some stores don't honor the coupon for magazines. But for the cost of the magazine, I feel a coupon is in order. Also many times depends on the cashier.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 06:52 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

I have one store within 3 miles of my house that's very small and not very well stocked. I only go there in an emergency. There's another store about 7 miles away that's large and much better stocked. But I'm a quilter and I have to say I NEVER purchase fabric there. The quality is not nearly as good as what I can get in a quilt store. Granted, the prices are less at Joann's, but I'd rather pay more and then enjoy working with the fabrics.
All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 06:55 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Our Joannes here is pretty nice. I mean it feels like a box store, but not a bad one, employees are pretty friendly, lots of lines are usually open, they have stuff on the shelves.

Our Michaels is better, but our Joannes is in a better (for me, as in near Costco) location so I go to both.

I think Hobby Lobby is the most bizzare store ever... I don't mind shopping there, but the way they do inventory and stuff (they don't scan anything) would drive me insane if I worked there. But whatever, it seems to be working ok for them.

I'm just lucky to have so many big stores, plus a bunch of scrapbook and stamp stores too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 06:58 AM   #50  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 318 Likes on 204 Posts

I go in to JA on occasion to get my barcode swiped, and that way I can stay on their mailing list. However, I only use the coupons at Michaels! There are several JA within easy driving distance and I can't stand ANY of them. They don't carry the products I want buy, everything is THEIR brand now and the staff is ignorant and rude. The coupon policy tops it off - they lost me as a customer over a year ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 07:00 AM   #51  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrappykatView Post
I work at an LSS and I do find it rude when someone checks out and is on their cell phone, since i have to interupt them to tell them how much they owe, etc. I mean if it's an emergency then that's different, but what is so important that someone needs to be on their cell phone 24/7??!!:rolleyes:
I agree that it's rude. I'd NEVER had said anything about it, but I definately thought it was rude. I didn't mind though if they talked on the phone in line, then when they got to me said, "Oh hold on a sec it's my turn" then talked to me with the phone just there... At least during the part of the transaction where we talk.

But I think it was more rude for her to say something. I mean it's a business. If I were the manager of that girl she'd have been in trouble for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 07:15 AM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

First of all, I HATE cell phones. I never have mine turned on unless I'm using it and that's only in an emergency. I pull over to a parking lot to use it. Most of the time the battery is dead from not using/charging it anyway.

If I'm in a checkout line and the person in front of me is on a cell, I have at times stepped in front of them in the line. Or if the person in front of me is on a cell, I will say something to the effect, if you'd hang up the phone, you could use both hands to unload your cart.

If a clerk is on a cell, I will just stand and wait for them to finish. If they say something, I will tell them I don't want to interupt their personal call. If they do finally hang up, I've told them I would loose my job if I talked on a cell while on the clock. Yes, I would loose my job even if I'm only doing a demonstration as a Contractor.

Why is it sooooooo important to talk on a phone while out and about????? Don't people have answering machines on their land-line phones at home?? For that matter, I wouldn't want every one and their brother hearing my conversation in public. My cell phone has lousy transmission/reception anyway.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 07:46 AM   #53  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erin KView Post
I think Hobby Lobby is the most bizzare store ever... I don't mind shopping there, but the way they do inventory and stuff (they don't scan anything) would drive me insane if I worked there. But whatever, it seems to be working ok for them.
I was thinking the same thing the other day - for some reason, the last two times I've been to HL, I've gotten the same super-slow checker. To be fair, her slowness seems to come from just... being slow (having to inspect and discuss everything she rings up, putting every item in a separate bag, never having the right-sized bags out), but I wonder how much faster it would go if they were able to scan. This time of year, it's just way too busy to have them putting everything in by hand. And I can't even imagine how they can memorize all of the sale items, although they manage to do a pretty good job.

My little gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 08:12 AM   #54  
Hardware Hotshot

Default use coupons at another competative store

I would also shop more at Joannes if this wasn't the case, see below; and the fact that in our areas, they never change their stock, So, I use the Joanne fabrics coupons in other stores that accept competitor coupons.
When they change their stock more, I will be back, but it's always the same items with a few seasonal changes for scrapping/stamping. I also wonder if the size of the community doesn't determine the amount of stock they have.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyinfriscoView Post
This is my complaint about JoAnns - I hardly ever get to use the 50% off coupons in the store because you can't use it on merchandise that is already on sale and it seems like "everything" papercraft and scrapbook related is on sale during the 50% off promotion. I've checked with other people in other states and they've had the same experience. So last time I had a 50% off coupon and I couldn't find anything craft related not on sale to use it on I decided to get a magazine. The cash register wouldn't accept my 50% off coupon and the cashier informed me that "the magazines are 10% off this week so you can't use the coupon". I went back to the magazine isle and looked and there was no sign or any other indication that magazines were on sale. That's when I decided to not go back to JoAnns for a long time. Has anyone else had this experience?

my avatar: (such desparation), Dear God, if you can't make me thin; make my
friends fat"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 AM   #55  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyoprincesView Post
I was thinking the same thing the other day - for some reason, the last two times I've been to HL, I've gotten the same super-slow checker. To be fair, her slowness seems to come from just... being slow (having to inspect and discuss everything she rings up, putting every item in a separate bag, never having the right-sized bags out), but I wonder how much faster it would go if they were able to scan. This time of year, it's just way too busy to have them putting everything in by hand. And I can't even imagine how they can memorize all of the sale items, although they manage to do a pretty good job.
I keep a copy of the current ad to help check if things are on sale...and I am slower the beginning of the week (new ad is out) ;) We had hopes our HL would use a scanner, but we don't. Trust me the cashiers want them too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #56  
Forum Fanatic

Ours is HORRIBLE for papercrafting. There are 3 shelves with paper crafting supplies- and they are rarely well stocked. In Texas and Ohio I was at Joann's all the time (and not even the etc superstores, just the regular ones)- now I rarely make the trip. I can pretty much count on NOTHING from the mailer actually being in the store. It's pretty disappoitning when they have something cool in there.

Fabric however, Joann's is way better than HL- although it's still not great.

We don't have a Michael's, but I'm okay with that. I think the stuff they carry is fantastic- but I've yet to be in one I can breathe in. They seem to do all the potpourri up front, I'm usually okay with the store that hide it in the back.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 08:53 AM   #57  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by pyinfriscoView Post
This is my complaint about JoAnns - I hardly ever get to use the 50% off coupons in the store because you can't use it on merchandise that is already on sale and it seems like "everything" papercraft and scrapbook related is on sale during the 50% off promotion. I've checked with other people in other states and they've had the same experience. So last time I had a 50% off coupon and I couldn't find anything craft related not on sale to use it on I decided to get a magazine. The cash register wouldn't accept my 50% off coupon and the cashier informed me that "the magazines are 10% off this week so you can't use the coupon". I went back to the magazine isle and looked and there was no sign or any other indication that magazines were on sale. That's when I decided to not go back to JoAnns for a long time. Has anyone else had this experience?
This is always my complaint as well. I have given up on using their coupons. My Joann's is usually understaffed, but they do have a pretty good selection. I only go there when they are having a good sale and am prepared to wait in line for the good price. Otherwise, it is simply not worth it, and I'll go somewhere else.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 11:57 AM   #58  
Compulsive Stamper

The one near me is a bit hit and miss on availability, but the layout is bright and cheery and there are I think five giant aisles of scrapbooking stuff.

I'm happy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 12:05 PM   #59  
Stazon Splitcoast

Send a message via Skype™ to okstamper

I used to love going to Joanns in Overland Park Kansas. It was very friendly and I got to know the staff there. But, since moving to Oklahoma and still getting all their coupons in the mailer. I drove out to the store, it took me an hour..when I get there..its the smallest, junkiest, rudest people in there. I drove an hour for this. I have emailed the corporated headquarters and they were very apologetic to me but I told them I will not be back. No one person helped me in the matter. Their ads dont really show what they have actually have in the store. Like the scrapbooking, stamping stuff..its always bare shelves. That would be our 1st store to shop at after Thanksgiving on Black Friday because they gave out those special coupons. Not now, because I will not make that drive for a dinky messy store. I will just shop at Michaels or HL for supplies other than SU. I'm sorry that you had to experience this. I also let the corporate offices no that they need to build one up here where I live, there are tons of space and they ought to check it out.. we will see.

Bonnie
My Blog~Bonnie's Creative Corner
Every Job is a Self-Portrait of the Person Who Did It.
Autograph Your Work With Excellence.~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 12:24 PM   #60  
Matboard Maniac

I would LOVE it if stores could do something so cell phones wouldnt work inside....Use of cell phones is ridiculous and gotten out of hand.
I cant for the life of me figure out people feel the need to be so connected 24/7. I cant stand to listen to everyones conversations ..Its gotten so bad that I see most Dr offices are now posting signs No Cell Phone Use while there YEH !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 05:33 PM   #61  
Rubber Obsessor

Default JoAnn's coupons

I always tried to use my JoAnn's coupons at JoAnn's first but since I had such a hard time actually using my coupons there since "everything" is already on sale I find myself now going to Michaels first because I like their bigger selection (like scrapbook adhesives) and they will take the JoAnn's coupons up to 40%. I noticed that there's often other customers in line at Michaels using their JoAnn's coupon, too. So, I agree with someone's earlier comment that JoAnn's policy is driving away customers.

But on the good side, my local JoAnn's has plenty of cashiers and friendly staff that will answer questions and help you find something and their fabric department is wonderful. I really like their policy that customers all stand in one line and the front person gets the next available cashier. That seems to keep the line moving along quicker.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #62  
Mad Swapper

I would be really surprised to see JoAnn's still in business in a year or two based on my own experiences and the tone of this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #63  
Pearl-ExPert

Not only is the tiny Joann's nearest me understocked but they understaffed and rude. The only reason they get any buisness at all is that the giant michaels down the street is the rudest and most understaffed craft store I have EVER seen ! I have to drive almost 30 miles to get to a decent Joann's or craft werehouse .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 03:33 AM   #64  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My local JoAnn's has the nicest people . . . and the lousiest stock. They don't carry any Cuttlebug or Cricut supplies at all because the main office told them to "send it back"! Their stamping supply selection is pitiful, too. It's a shame because the nearest BIG JoAnn's (35 miles) has great stock but a high percentage of rude and craft-ignorant employees. I've had trouble using their coupons on items that aren't listed as exceptions. When I've pointed out their error, I just get a "Sorry! Can't do it!". I've started going across the street to Michael's where they'll let me use multiple coupons if the items are rung up separately and the employees seem to know the products better.

I have tried contacting JoAnn's main office about some of the issues, but I've never gotten a response. I guess they're going to do business their way and if you don't like it you can just . . . uh . . . go to H.L.! Or Michael's! Or wherever else you can find what you need!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 04:00 AM   #65  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

There are 2 Joann's near em. The closer one is a dark and empty store. There is hardly anything in the paper crafting dept. so I hardly ever go there. It's really pretty pathetic!

The other one is new about 2 years ago and it's fabulous! I go there at least once a week to see what's new. There is a huge papercrafting dept which seems like it's always on sale. Plus the employees are very helpful.... I was wandering around looking for something that looks like the gold SU cord, and must have had a puzzled look on my face 'cause one of the employees (male) asked what I was looking for and then went all around the store looking for similar items - he did find about 3 different metallic cords! I was impressed.

My one gripe about Joanns is all the already made stuff... they have a huge aisle of greeting cards.... I personally have a problem with that!! Go next door to Target or the drug store for your premade cards, go to Joanns if you want to MAKE the card!! KWIM? It seems like such a contridiction to have all the supplies to make things and then also selling the items already made - cheaply I'm sure.

All in all I do love my Joann's though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 04:14 AM   #66  
Die Cut Diva

I agree with all the comments above. The 2 JoAnns near me are the pits.....dirty, understaffed and old stock. One cashier and that person is usually manning the cutting table also. The people just work there, they are not knowledgeable about the merchandise, nor do they care. It is a wonder the 2 stores can stay in business.

flaxychick.....Being a card maker myself, I agree with your comment totally. Michaels is the same way. They have pre-made boxed cards on a rack at the end of the paper crafting section. I was talking to a woman yesterday who was looking at the boxed cards and tried to tell her she could create her own cards very easily. She looked at me as if I were nutso! She said "Why should I make them when buying them is easier?" Someone like that you're not going to change their mind.

I've seen on the JoAnns website that there are supposed to be Super JoAnns. I did a search and was told that there are no Super JoAnns within 200 miles of me. Does anyone know where these are??

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 04:18 AM   #67  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I will be using my JA coupon at Michaels from now in. I have had bad service, out of stock and so on for the last year. My DH cringes every time I say I am going to stop there as I usually walk out irritated! I iwll not be shopping there anymore. I wish we had a Hobby Lobby here. I love going to one by my SIL when we go visit her 2 twice a year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 04:21 AM   #68  
Gabfest Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwizView Post
I would LOVE it if stores could do something so cell phones wouldnt work inside....Use of cell phones is ridiculous and gotten out of hand.
I cant for the life of me figure out people feel the need to be so connected 24/7. I cant stand to listen to everyones conversations ..Its gotten so bad that I see most Dr offices are now posting signs No Cell Phone Use while there YEH !!!
Well..... while I agree that it's kinda rude to be talking while checking out (no offense to the poster who did that), sometimes it is necessary to call someone while shopping. I don't know how many times I've forgotten to tell my dh to grab something at the store and had to go back out to get it. With the cell I just call him while he's still out and remind him. (Dh does all our grocery shopping... He's my frugal gourmet! ;) )

And last night while I was shopping for the family our student council adopted for Christmas, I had to call the mom and verify sizes for the kids' clothes. I didn't know the kids so couldn't tell if she meant kids' sizes or tweens, juniors, misses, etc. So instead of not getting the things they needed and driving an hour home, I was able to call, get the info, and finish up my shopping.

So yeah, using a cell phone while shopping is SO rediculous :rolleyes:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 04:27 AM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

I still feel calls could be made BEFORE you go out shopping. If you MUST phone while out in a store, go to a remote area and stand still while making a brief call.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 04:33 AM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Our new HL is pretty cool...........right Hockeymomma?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 06:53 AM   #71  
Die Cut Diva

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I rarely shop at Joanns. Normally they have one clerk at a register and the lines of people waiting to check out are always long. They never have the items I want in stock so I don't shop there. Hobby Lobby is my favorite. Lots of clerks and plenty in stock with lower prices on most items too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #72  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by pjw2855View Post
I still feel calls could be made BEFORE you go out shopping. If you MUST phone while out in a store, go to a remote area and stand still while making a brief call.

Patti
If a person is talking with an "indoor voice" on a phone, and paying attention to their surroundings- how is this any more rude than a person who is talking to a friend who is with them?

I always halt my conversations when I am in the checkout, but I see no reason to not talk while I am shopping.

What I will not do though is talk on my (for more than a moment) phone while riding in the car with one other person- that drives me batty. I find that RUDE to blatantly ignore one other person.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #73  
Die Cut Diva

Skittl1321......I agree on what you say is rude. But if you're talking on a phone call while shopping, how can you be paying attention to what you're shopping for and also realizing that other people around you are shopping too? It's the same with driving while chatting on a phone. (no, let's not start a new discussion on driving while cell phone talking).

In my opinion, I see too many people chattering away on a cell phone while out shopping and ignoring people around them and not really paying attention to what they're doing. How can a mom keep track of her young children running around the store while she is chattering on a cell phone? Also can a person unload a grocery cart properly while holding a cell phone and chattering away??

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just so much against cell phones being used in public. I and my Service Dog have gotten bumped into by people (mostly women) who were chattering on a cell phone. How can you miss a person on a scooter and a 58 lb furry dog walking near you in an isle????? It's easy if you're chattering on a cell phone.

Patti

P.S. Just my opinions. I'll now shut-up on this subject.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 08:41 AM   #74  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Oy, yes, I heard a doozie last night at the Dollar Tree. Standing right near the checkout, speaking really loudly, and dropping the f-bomb like crazy. One of the cashiers must have finally told her to move along, so she wandered thru the store, gabbing the whole way. I swear, I could still hear her nearly shouting in her phone from the opposite side of the store. She was going on about someone looking like a fool for being in a fight. Pot....kettle....black... :rolleyes:

Back on topic, my local JoAnn is also a dump. No matter what type of project you're trying to do, they never have all of the supplies to complete it. If they've got the fabric and thread, they have no elastic. If they've got the pattern and yarn, they have no knitting needles. If they've got paper and embellishments, they've got no adhesive.

I stopped shopping there and take my coupons to either ACMoore or Michaels. If I need sewing supplies, I go to the larger etc. store about 25 minutes away. And I agree with others, that their cotton prints aren't up to par. They may have the same name prints as quilt shops, but the griege goods are a lower quality.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 08:46 AM   #75  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by valeriecathleenView Post
I would be really surprised to see JoAnn's still in business in a year or two based on my own experiences and the tone of this thread.
I heard a rumor a couple of years back that as smaller JoAnns stores' leases are coming up, the stores are being closed. They've opened new super/etc. stores and closed down the smaller ones. I don't know if it's true or not. In my area, the only other chain fabric store was Hancock's, and they all closed down. I'm not really sure what's keeping JoAnn in business. They must sell a lot of fleece and flannel, because that's about 25% of the floor space in the store near me, and it's year round. Who the heck buys fleece and flannel in July? Somebody must, because it's there all the time!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 09:44 AM   #76  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosiebudstampView Post
Our new HL is pretty cool...........right Hockeymomma?
Yes, our new HL is pretty cool (although we have our share of problems ;) ) And the staff is so helpful and friendly ;)

I have been in JoAnn's two times in four days and have gotten fast nice service and found exactly what I needed...I was getting fabric. I don't think they have a great crafting section.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 10:38 AM   #77  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I shop at the same JoAnn's as Tina (original poster) and I really like the store. Maybe it's because I have lowered expectations - our JoAnn's is a fairly new store (and they very recently revamped the departments) and maybe it's that I still remember the old store - big as a barn, messy, disorganized and dark, so it's a vast improvement. Also, I never go into JoAnns OR Michaels expecting to be able to check out quickly, and I don't really expect the employees at either store to know much about what they're selling. If I want cutting edge "stuff" or help using it, I go to the lss.

That being said, I haven't been in Jo's or Mike's for at least a month, so our local ones very well might be out of everything right now!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 10:43 AM   #78  
Insane Embellisher

I am one of the "lucky" ones - 3 JA's within reasonable distance. The local one has changed managers and is extremely sad in their supplies. The Super Store is wonderful - the people working there are cheery and one of the managers always seems to rally the troops, so to speak. My issue with JA is is super stores against the small local ones. I HAVE to go to the superstore to get many of the items in the flyers - are superstore only items - such as Cuttlebug and Sizzix. In addition, corporate will no longer "allow" the small stores to hold classes. Where I live the local store had wonderful quilting/cake decorating classes, but no more. This is still a rural area and people don't want to go to the "big city" to attend these things & why should they when the local place is more than willing and capable?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 12:00 PM   #79  
Forum Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I loved Joann's until I moved. The Joann's I used to go to was brand new and was a SuperStore. It had everything! It was well staffed, and although the staff didn't know everything, someone could answer my questions. I mostly went there for material for quilts and the selection was wonderful. The cutting table always had five or six people working there when the store was busy. It was wonderful!

The Joann's near me now needs to be torn down! It is an old building. The floors look old and dingy. The fabric choices suck. The cutting table. Oh man, don't even get me started. The little old ladies that work it (bless their souls), are so slothlike that the line ends up moving very slow and gets long really fast. They do have a number system, but they always seem to skip blocks of numbers and when you complain, they insist that they did not, even though there are groups of people that have been skipped and insist otherwise. Augh, this has happened to me twice. I've been there twice since I moved here, so I haven't been back!

I wish my old Joann's could be moved here. Or maybe if I get desparate enough, I'll drive the hour and a half up there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2007, 12:02 PM   #80  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Thumbs up

Hear hear!
Quote:

First of all, I HATE cell phones. I never have mine turned on unless I'm using it and that's only in an emergency. I pull over to a parking lot to use it. Most of the time the battery is dead from not using/charging it anyway.

If I'm in a checkout line and the person in front of me is on a cell, I have at times stepped in front of them in the line. Or if the person in front of me is on a cell, I will say something to the effect, if you'd hang up the phone, you could use both hands to unload your cart.

If a clerk is on a cell, I will just stand and wait for them to finish. If they say something, I will tell them I don't want to interupt their personal call. If they do finally hang up, I've told them I would loose my job if I talked on a cell while on the clock. Yes, I would loose my job even if I'm only doing a demonstration as a Contractor.

Why is it sooooooo important to talk on a phone while out and about????? Don't people have answering machines on their land-line phones at home?? For that matter, I wouldn't want every one and their brother hearing my conversation in public. My cell phone has lousy transmission/reception anyway.

Patti
Reply With Quote Likes