Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-06-2009, 09:13 AM   #41  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWTW JunkieView Post
Oh, yeah.... you do! I'm going to try the alcohol/shimmer paint recipe here in a minute after I do my daily round of computer stuff. I can't wait to try it on the 3-D pop up trees!!!
Ok, haven't gotten to the stamp room yet today-- LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question.........I want to "pretty up" my laptop and I'm wondering if rub-ons would work? I see others done with DD elements but I like the rub-ons in the big catty better. I have no rub-ons so I can't try it but I'm hoping one of you knows. TIA!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:17 AM   #43  

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
I have a question.........I want to "pretty up" my laptop and I'm wondering if rub-ons would work? I see others done with DD elements but I like the rub-ons in the big catty better. I have no rub-ons so I can't try it but I'm hoping one of you knows. TIA!
Rub ons are much easier to mess up on a non-card surface. I have seen the laptops done with DE and done lots of DE myself and that is SO easy... on just about any surface. DE would be much more durable, too. Rub ons would be quite fragile on a computer that is going to get moved around like a laptop will.
So I guess no, I would not recommend it. It won't ruin your laptop if you try, however. Maybe practice on a small area first, and use it for a while to see if it holds up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #44  

Ok, I just tried the shimmer paint in the alcohol spray and I am TOTALLY HOOKED!!! That looks absolutely fantastic. I am going to spritz everything I make!!! It is completely stunning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:22 AM   #45  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Rub ons are much easier to mess up on a non-card surface. I have seen the laptops done with DE and done lots of DE myself and that is SO easy... on just about any surface. DE would be much more durable, too. Rub ons would be quite fragile on a computer that is going to get moved around like a laptop will.
So I guess no, I would not recommend it. It won't ruin your laptop if you try, however. Maybe practice on a small area first, and use it for a while to see if it holds up.
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm in the middle of an order and will go with the DE that I've been looking at.:-D
Oh and I'm getting some shimmer paint too! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:20 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Ok, I just tried the shimmer paint in the alcohol spray and I am TOTALLY HOOKED!!! That looks absolutely fantastic. I am going to spritz everything I make!!! It is completely stunning.
What ratio of shimmer paint to rubbing alcohol are you using?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

That, and when you are sick of the DE on your labtop you can peel it right up. A rub on would be a like a sticker on a fridge back in the day. Part of it would come off, and then you would spend the rest of your life trying to scratch off the rest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 12:43 PM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
That, and when you are sick of the DE on your labtop you can peel it right up. A rub on would be a like a sticker on a fridge back in the day. Part of it would come off, and then you would spend the rest of your life trying to scratch off the rest.
Too funny! DE it is.........
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 01:34 PM   #49  

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctabView Post
What ratio of shimmer paint to rubbing alcohol are you using?
Some to some LOL I never measure anything, girl! Haven't you read myr recipe thread on the demo side? Hee hee!

Seriously, It was about half the spritzer bottle from Walmart's travel section filled with rubbing alcohol, and then I poured it what I estimated to be at least half a teaspoon of the paint. I couldn't be believe how fast it dried and HOW AWESOME IT LOOKED!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 01:38 PM   #50  
Mad Swapper

Have any of you used the printed window sheets? I'm seeing one in the Holiday mini with snowflakes all over it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

What's DE?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 PM   #52  
Die Cut Diva

Decor Elements. Hopefully someone who knows more will come on. I'm just getting them ordered for the first time and don't know what I'm in for yet......
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:53 PM   #53  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Shimmer paint?! I had a feeling this thread would cost me money...LMBO! It seems the popular color is champagne. I'm going to have to ask my demo to show me some.......
Of course it is - I didn't order that one. Sigh. (lol)

Well, I have the silver and I shall simply have to make someting go-jus with it so I won't pout too much over not having the Champagne ;-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #54  

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanislandwomanView Post
Have any of you used the printed window sheets? I'm seeing one in the Holiday mini with snowflakes all over it.
Yes and they are gorgeous - I received a swap using that snowflake one - they had used a circle punch on it and made snow globe cards - so cute and fab - I will upload a photo once I have put the kiddies to bed
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #55  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigan StamperView Post
Of course it is - I didn't order that one. Sigh. (lol)

Well, I have the silver and I shall simply have to make someting go-jus with it so I won't pout too much over not having the Champagne ;-)
I knew I would pout too LOL so had to buy them all at the same time...they create such beautiful effects...the silver is amazing too...I will dig out something that uses it...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 04:11 PM   #56  
Stampin' Fool

Default Decor Elements

Quote:

Decor Elements. Hopefully someone who knows more will come on. I'm just getting them ordered for the first time and don't know what I'm in for yet......
Three words for you: Watch. The. Video.

Seriously, go to the SU! site under Our products > Product Lines > Definitely Decorative > Decor Elements and then click on Decor Elements Video.
I tell all my customers to watch that video before they attempt to put their Decor Elements up.

A couple of other notes:
I have VERY textured walls, and I was able to put up the "Life is not a matter of moments ..." one and the Long Stem Silhouettes just fine. I had to work a little bit, and use a bone folder in some places, instead of the little tool you can order, but they look great even on my textured walls. When working on a regular wall (painted) surface, you are able to first position the DE with its backing still on by pressing the backing sheet to the wall, and pull it off and reposition it until you mark exactly where you want it. Then you rub with the tool and transfer the DE. However...

When you are applying them to mirror or glass, once it touches the surface, you're not going to be able to move it because the DE (not just the backing) sticks immediately to that kind of surface. So, BE CAREFUL when working with those surfaces. If it slips out of your hand and lays down on the glass, that's it, it's stuck. Maybe somebody else knows how to avoid that, but that was my experience and that's what I've heard from others.

Here are pics of the DEs I have up in my living room. Sorry the pics aren't more close-up, but I think you can see just how textured my walls are.

DE Photo 1

DE Photo 2

DE shadow box

I've also put up the letter "S" on my front storm door with the circle frame around it, and I also just did the Dasher hostess DE in a picture frame, but I don't have pics of those yet.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #57  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PattiLynnView Post
The Champagne Shimmer Paint is stunning. I also love to sponge it on ribbon.

Check out this project on my blog: http://atouchfromtheheart.typepad.co...lenge-dsp.html

I couldn't even capture how much this card shimmers with a photo......the focal image and ribbon just glistens in person.

Patti, That's A "Beautiful" card. I was wondering about the Shimmer Paints too. Thanks for sharing.

Spoiler

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #58  
Matboard Maniac

I too got sucked into the shimmer Paints. I felt that I needed the Champagne Mist & ordered it a few days ago. The platinum seems like it doesn't have much mica to it. It looks a lot like the silver Tim Holtz Daubers, so I passed. I created my own version of the white paint 9I forget the name.) I used Pearl Medium. I have a huge bottle from the brand Golden. However, I have seen it in the regular paint isle at JoAnns. It called Pearlizing Medium. It's made by both DecoArt & Americana. A good sized bottle ran$2.99. I mix it with paints, reinkers & apply it directly to my project for a beautiful shimmer. I'm waiting for my Champagne Mist to arrive. I'm sure I'm gonna love it! Does anyone know if Stampin' Up plans to keep selling these paints after the mini? I'd hate to get hooked on them knowing I won't be able to keep getting them. Thanks, JIL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 06:27 AM   #59  

Quote:

Oh, I just love these!!! They are ridiculously easy to put up and they look fantastic. The "Serve the Lord" I have up in my kitchen is a huge hit with my ladies.

I just put up the big tree and "go confidently" saying for a customer at club (with everyone watching--it was hair-raising!) and even that big one was really quite easy. I have three sets up in my house and the little family on my van, and am about to put the mixed butterflies up in my daughter's room as soon as I get it painted. I can't wait to do those--she is going to be delighted.

I love these so much I am volunteering to put people's up for them! :mrgreen:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM   #60  

Quote:

yep! Super cute. Mostly I use mine for windows in a project (like a paper bakery bag with a Top Note Window in it) but I got bold and made a Mega Tote Bag with the polka dotted window sheets (same exact thickness) from the Night & Day specialty DSP collection out of the Mini. It looks so cool, if I do say so myself! http://songofmyheartstampers.typepad...-statment.html

http://songofmyheartstampers.typepad...-envelope.html Here's another idea for the window sheets that I just posted yesterday.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 06:51 AM   #61  

I was just over on the demo side and some demos said the best rubbing alcohol for the shimmer paint mix was 70%, not 99% pure. Something to do with clogging the spritzer. Thought I'd share, for anyone who is planning to buy some RA with that in mind!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 08:51 AM   #62  

Yes, I use 70% - I forgot that it comes in other strengths over here!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 09:00 AM   #63  
Mad Swapper

Lyssa, I've just been looking at your tote bag instructions. Those are seriously sweet bags! However, I don't quite understand the handle attachment. How do the ribbon and the punched piece fit together?

I'd include a link here to your page, but the addy is too long for my screen to be able to pick it all up, :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #64  

Hi Elaine--the Round Tab punch gets folded in half, the brad stuck through both sides at once, with the ribbon pierced by the brad and affixed to the tote bag. You would think the ribbon was sandwiched in between the punch somehow, but it does not, or the ribbon would be coming out the bottom side and not the top where the handles need to be. HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 AM   #65  
Mad Swapper

AHa! Thanks, Lyssa. For some reason I thought the ribbon was supposed to be inside the two sides of the folded punched piece, and couldn't see how that was possible because the open side is down. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2009, 01:08 PM   #66  

Quote:

AHa! Thanks, Lyssa. For some reason I thought the ribbon was supposed to be inside the two sides of the folded punched piece, and couldn't see how that was possible because the open side is down. Thanks.
Yeah... I have seen some people make it with the punch upside down, but I personally think it looks a little goofy that way. :p

Can't recall if I put it in my tutorial or not, but I would also sandwich a dimensional in there to keep it from sliding around. Try one and you'll see what I mean.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #67  
Stampin' Fool

Default My "Going Gray Gracefully" class

Thought I'd share the cards my customers are making at this class.
View it here in my gallery or here on my blog.

BTW: the wedding card uses the new Platinum shimmer paint (I told you I'd have to make something gorgeous with it so as not to pout over not getting the Champagne paint, lol).

(I tried to insert a thumbnail here, but I guess I don't know what I'm doing, lol, because all I got was a red X).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 12:17 PM   #68  

Donna, what an adorable idea for a class theme! Just too cute.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #69  
Die Cut Diva

Nice cards Donna! Your girls will love them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2009, 06:56 PM   #70  
Stampin' Fool

Thanks Lyssa and Rubberlady. I can't take credit for the class title. Got it from a demo named Maria, who credits Janet Wakeland. I agree, it's a darn cute title. Glad you liked the cards.

The customers liked them too. Everyone was having a kind of "off" night or was in a hurry, but they had a good time. One lady said she really, really needed this tonight, and described her rough week, which included a good friend dying (I couldn't believe it, because she's lost 2 family members in the past year). She was so glad I had this class tonight to get her out of the house and out of her sadness. I'm glad too! We chatted for a while after the others left. I suggested she might try making cards and donating them to places like RMH house, etc. The parents of the ailing children are always in need of thank-you notes, I'm quite sure. I said "Elaine, the best way to make yourself feel better and pull yourself out of your sadness is to do things for others. It works every time." She agreed. I'm so glad we talked, and I hope I helped her a little.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2009, 07:37 AM   #71  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michigan StamperView Post
Thanks Lyssa and Rubberlady. I can't take credit for the class title. Got it from a demo named Maria, who credits Janet Wakeland. I agree, it's a darn cute title. Glad you liked the cards.

The customers liked them too. Everyone was having a kind of "off" night or was in a hurry, but they had a good time. One lady said she really, really needed this tonight, and described her rough week, which included a good friend dying (I couldn't believe it, because she's lost 2 family members in the past year). She was so glad I had this class tonight to get her out of the house and out of her sadness. I'm glad too! We chatted for a while after the others left. I suggested she might try making cards and donating them to places like RMH house, etc. The parents of the ailing children are always in need of thank-you notes, I'm quite sure. I said "Elaine, the best way to make yourself feel better and pull yourself out of your sadness is to do things for others. It works every time." She agreed. I'm so glad we talked, and I hope I helped her a little.
Thank you for the reminder that there is far more to what we do than just provide a fun night out, sometimes! I've had serious conversations like that after club and meetings and workshops as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 03:08 AM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

Donna, I love gray and yellow together...it's one of my favorites. Is the red you used Rose Red? That is a very pretty combo also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 07:40 AM   #73  

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Donna, I love gray and yellow together...it's one of my favorites. Is the red you used Rose Red? That is a very pretty combo also.
I looked again and yes, I think it is Rose Red. That is such an amazingly versatile color. It goes with all kind of combos you would never think of.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #74  
Matboard Maniac

Just a quick word about the shimmer paint mix...I mix my shimmer paint with liquid hairspray...the kind in the pump bottle. A little more expensive than alcohol but you get the same effect, the same stick power and short dry time and IT SMELLS SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!! I use the ranger mini-misters filled almost to the top of the mister with hairspray and about 1/4 teaspoon of the champagne mist shimmer paint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-13-2009, 06:02 AM   #75  

Quote:

Originally Posted by InkeePhingersView Post
Just a quick word about the shimmer paint mix...I mix my shimmer paint with liquid hairspray...the kind in the pump bottle. A little more expensive than alcohol but you get the same effect, the same stick power and short dry time and IT SMELLS SO MUCH BETTER!!!!!! I use the ranger mini-misters filled almost to the top of the mister with hairspray and about 1/4 teaspoon of the champagne mist shimmer paint.
I just used the alcohol spray at our group meeting last night and it smelled up the place pretty good. We also were slightly concerned about the candles I had burning, with all that alcohol floating around in the air! :mrgreen:

I may try the hair spray idea. Everyone LOVED the spray--no question about that. Can live without the smell, though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 PM   #76  
Crimping Master

Thanks for the explanation on how to use the shimmer paints. I'll have to add one to my order.
Reply With Quote Likes