Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #41  
ch
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeachybabyView Post
chipboard
pennants
big gaudy bows
big gaudy flowers

I don't think there are too many cupcake stamps, but then any food stamp, just like any food is fine with me.
I must be your long lost twin! I'm tired of cards that use a yard of wide ribbon. What does one do with a card like that? Same with flowers. Pennants have too many little pieces, I chucked my chipboard long ago.
But cupcakes are food and food is good!
Sometimes I totally miss a craze. I guess that's not a terrible thing, for my pocketbook anyway.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

such a funny thread, I usually buy if I like it so much but than take forever to actually it.
I'm probably guilty of the trends mentioned above haha.
I love doilies, bows, and all that good stuff, but I also love making CAS so it all depends on the mood i'm in
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 11:14 AM   #43  
Die Cut Diva

Prima flowers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 04:00 PM   #44  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by craftydollsView Post
I think all design elements can be interesting until they become a fad and are everywhere. If you love it, I guess it's a good thing. I never get tired of leaves or snowflakes and I don't even know why, I am always attracted to them. I'm a little tired of birds and I don't like the pennants, but I love the doilies & sewing theme!
I love leaves and snowflakes. Also fall stamps in general.Like pumpkins cornstalks scarecrows . Winter stamps also I love snowmen .
I am tired of Halloween ghosts goblin etc. Not a fan of Steampunk. Do not like animals with big heads and such. Do not care for Russian and Asian dolls either.I am tired of chipboard. Just never seemed to get it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 04:21 PM   #45  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
The images of kids with big heads and no mouths...
I am so with you on that one!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #46  
Insane Embellisher

I'm over the clock and chairs thing. I think I never really got it, that's why I'm over it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #47  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I,too, have never gotten the whole Steampunk thing...
I love cupcakes. Always will. I still love coffee cups and anything coffee related.
Never got into owls ...
And I am totally over the big Prima flowers -- I was over those about ten minutes after I bought a whole bunch of them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2011, 07:55 PM   #48  
Hardware Hotshot

For me it is distressed paper and or grunge.
I don't want to give a card that looks like I bought paper from a bargain bin because it was not printed correctly and then drove my car over the card for good measure.
I am also over sewing on cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #49  
Pearl-ExPert

what a fun thread! like some others here i never got the kids with the big heads and no mouths and still don't like them. i don't understand the whole digi thing either. for the most part i don't really follow trends... i have never been good at "trendy"!!

My Blog: hey there.... rosigrl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 05:39 AM   #50  
Polyshrink Goddess

never really got into the owls (but love birds and bird cages), cupcakes, chandilers. Love butterflies and flowers. of what i've actually done I guess i have had it with prisma color pencils. It could be because I spent so much money and must have gotten a "bad " bunch cuz they break so easily and I've tried the microwave trick too.

i'm not getting into the pendants and the flower medalians though. I kind of like the idea of buttons on cards but I mail most of my cards and don't like the extra bulk.

Last edited by tryinmybest; 07-30-2011 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: forgot to add
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 05:51 AM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
The images of kids with big heads and no mouths...
Amen!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 08:17 AM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

Big headed kids over here, too. I also don't get (but am slightly envious of people who can pull off) twine and buttons on cards. Not a huge fan of sewing on cards. I also don't get steampunk. It's funny, though, because I have favourited some cards that have elements that I don't personally like, but there's something that just works on the card, or I can get inspiration for my own cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #53  
Compulsive Stamper

Default So Over it

Owls (never liked them in the first place)
Tilda's and Bella's (never liked them in the first place)
chipboard (can not figure out how it works)
copics (I am a stamper, not a color-er)
I am sure I will find more things to add to this list as I complete my daily blurfing:p
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #54  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Been there. Done that. Even bought the T-shirt.
LOL!

I don't follow trends. If something I like becomes trendy (owls, for example), I take the opportunity to buy lots of owl images because I know that soon enough I won't be able to find any owls. And since I loved owls before they were trendy, I will continue to love them when they are so "five minutes ago".

I have a list of images I'm looking for, and if I see one I buy it. I've also been there, done that, and bought the t-shirt - when something that was out of favor becomes trendy. I buy the first one I see thinking "finally! someone made a ______ stamp", and the next thing I know, there are images of ____ all over, including several I like a lot more.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 11:43 AM   #55  
Matboard Maniac

Flourishes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #56  
Hardware Hotshot

I guess I just love what I love. I never went overboard on cupcakes but I still like them fine. I just adore pennants and haven't had time to even buy a set and now some people are over them...gosh, I must be soooo behind. ;) I'm loving the new SU doily set as it reminds me of a spirograph design. So I haven't had time to get tired of doilies either...they just came within range of my radar!

I will LOVE dots for a very long time if not for ever. I still love my SU sets Simply Circles & Seeing Spots, and PTI Dot Spot! My budget is tight and I can't jump off and on trends. If I love it, I buy it and use it a long time!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 07-30-2011 at 01:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #57  
Mad Swapper

Received 264 Likes on 109 Posts

Where is a LIKE button when I need one? I would click on nearly everything above here!

(My pet peeves are grunge/distressed and the word "bliss.")

I often wonder what people think when they receive handmade cards decorated with some of what the stamp companies put up for sale. Do Hallmark and Carlton follow the same trends? We SCS folks see the trendy things listed above in this thread, have to buy them, and, I assume, use them. Do card recipients see "trendy" or do they see cards that bring them joy or comfort, or cards that make them say, "Huh?"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 06:23 PM   #58  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by susanbriView Post
There are trends I've never taken to at all - eg. sewing on a card. And I can't fathom the digi trend at all - to me, it shouldn't be called a digi-stamp as it bears no relation to stamping whatsoever.

But in terms of what I've bought, I wish I hadn't spent so much money on designer paper. I have a big stash and feel stressed sometimes trying to use it up.

Butterflies, on the other hand, I still love, use, and buy! Great thread, Diane! It's interesting how different we all are.
Just had to say....love the picture...those dogs are so cute!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #59  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alice in MdView Post
I often wonder what people think when they receive handmade cards decorated with some of what the stamp companies put up for sale. Do Hallmark and Carlton follow the same trends? We SCS folks see the trendy things listed above in this thread, have to buy them, and, I assume, use them. Do card recipients see "trendy" or do they see cards that bring them joy or comfort, or cards that make them say, "Huh?"
I think trends are for card makers, not card recipients. I could send my mother a cupcake card every birthday, and she would enjoy it every year.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of butterflies, birds, cupcakes and banners.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-30-2011, 08:28 PM   #60  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I've never been one to follow trends; I buy what I like and lately I haven't liked the trends: owls, pennants, chandeliers, birdcages, etc. so I've been buying some older stamps that I've always wanted and never got around to buying.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 02:17 AM   #61  
Gabfest Goddess

OK, my two cents worth. I too, like CharityHand, don't have alot of time to give to stamping, buy a great deal of STUFF, then when I do use it, it's on it's way out or has been out:( But, usually the people that receive these don't visit this sight, so they don't know any better.
Now..What I Am Over
Cupcakes...But would still be willing to use
Owls
Trying to keep up with all the in color papers/ink/coordinating dsp and other elements, by the time I can afford to get it all together, they've moved on...Drat:( I love it all, just hard on the check book.

Regardless of my own likes,quirks, fetishes and other feelings, I love the individuality and variety of artists I can view here. So I could fall in love with someones fabulous cupcake card seen in the gallery, and will always leave feedback for them. I have been in awe of so many cards that I would never evern attempt, or desire for the supplies used, but appreciate all.

God and America, Family and Friends, Stampin' and Zumba....so much to be thankful for!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 02:50 AM   #62  
Die Cut Diva

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharityHandView Post
I'm so over the "trend" trend. One company makes a cute (owl, hot air balloon, etc.) stamp and all the other companies jump on the bandwagon making their own version of (owl, hot air balloon, etc.). We get overwhelmed and tired of seeing so many different versions of one image and then move on.

I don't have a great deal of time to stamp so I buy these "trendy" stamps and then don't get around to using them until they're no longer fashionable!
I do exactly the same! Especially at Christmas, I will see a stamp/set I like, so I'll buy it, then not use it till next year. I really hate the way that stamping has now become a fashion orientated area. The one statement guaranteed to get me running away is 'on-trend', lol. Do the companies not 'get', that apart from the enjoyment of creating, we make art/cards etc so they will look DIFFERENT to everything else out there!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:11 AM   #63  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnalee0213View Post
Interesting thread...
For me, I am totally over birds and bird cages (still ok with owls though)
Not sure i will ever tire of cupcakes
Yeppers on the bird cages! They remind me of the ladies of Arsenic and Old Lace. But I also am not a bird fan.

I do totally love my Copics. I use the coloring activity as therapy. It's very relaxing for me.

We like and dislike different things which is why we have the men we do in our lives! Ha!

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 AM   #64  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

This thread is a hoot! (<--- a little owl humor for all the owl lovers in the house... that would not include me. I don't think I've ever made an owl card. Owls kinda freak me out. As do children without mouths... And birds. But I'm weird that way, I know.)

I get your stance on the whole 'trend' thing. Occasionally when doing design work for a company, I've had to work with images I wasn't crazy about and that I thought were too "on trend." I always figure by the time I get something 'on trend' the trend is actually over, know what I mean? I like what I like, and I'm drawn to what I'm drawn to. Everyone's taste is different, and some people are more in "your tribe." I tend to like fun, funky, cutesy, and retro. I leave vintage and elegant to others. Anytime I have to "try" to work with something? I know it's not really going to work. Which is why I have a boat load of flowers and crystals collecting dust -- flowery and fancy is just not my strong suit, no matter how beautifully those I admire use 'em. I yam what I yam!

All that being said, I now have a confession to make: I don't even know what "steampunk" means!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

Heck, I still use flamingos a lot. I guess I'm really out of it. Other than that, I'm not a bird fan at all unless they're fried with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy.

Probably the "trend" I never got on board with was the cards with 4,798 layers that need ground shipping. I can never get grunge to look anything other than, well, grungy. I guess I'm a lot more CAS myself.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 07:01 AM   #66  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by simvanView Post
Just had to say....love the picture...those dogs are so cute!!!!!!!!
Simvan, thanks so much for the compliment on my dogs!!

I sure am enjoying this thread. The same thing happens in the knitting world and the gardening world (my other two hobbies) - types of yarn or plants become trendy and are all the rage, and then suddenly you can't find them in the stores anymore and the industry has moved on to promoting something else.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 07:03 AM   #67  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
Heck, I still use flamingos a lot. I guess I'm really out of it. Other than that, I'm not a bird fan at all unless they're fried with a side of mashed potatoes and gravy.
LOL! I just spilled my coffee!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 07:28 AM   #68  
Crimping Master

I am smiling, too. Just shows that it takes all kinds!! I avoid most animals (though I love real animals!!), big heads, pennants, wedding sayings, giant flower stamps, copics, hearts, cutesy or grunge. I have to add though, that I love retro, vintage, classic and elegant.....that includes birds/cages, beautiful ribbon, bling, layers and 3-D creations that need custom boxes! (What do people do with those cards? I do not know, although I actually got a thank you note for a "thank you" card I sent!) This is a fun thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #69  
Hardware Hotshot

You folks and your big-headed children bashing always crack me up!

This summer, I was at a park, and I saw a toddler look into a pond and topple right into it, head first. My first thought was "Yep! Children ARE big-headed! Long live the big-headed children!"

Seriously, the center of gravity for a child under the age of five is in their head, not their torso. They are totally out of proportion. Take a good look at a child and you'd be surprised they can even walk around with those big ole heads!

And the no mouths thing doesn't bother me so much...I just add my own!

I'm always slow to warm up to a trend. I don't jump on the bandwagon, but kinda trail behind. I think all things in moderation are fine, but we just get inundated with images in this craft to the point where we get tired of them.

The biggest thing I'm sick of? Cards shaped like something...bra cards, baby onesie cards, purse cards. Yawn!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 08:19 AM   #70  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCarMaView Post
This thread is a hoot! (<--- a little owl humor for all the owl lovers in the house... that would not include me. I don't think I've ever made an owl card. Owls kinda freak me out. As do children without mouths... And birds. But I'm weird that way, I know.)

I get your stance on the whole 'trend' thing. Occasionally when doing design work for a company, I've had to work with images I wasn't crazy about and that I thought were too "on trend." I always figure by the time I get something 'on trend' the trend is actually over, know what I mean? I like what I like, and I'm drawn to what I'm drawn to. Everyone's taste is different, and some people are more in "your tribe." I tend to like fun, funky, cutesy, and retro. I leave vintage and elegant to others. Anytime I have to "try" to work with something? I know it's not really going to work. Which is why I have a boat load of flowers and crystals collecting dust -- flowery and fancy is just not my strong suit, no matter how beautifully those I admire use 'em. I yam what I yam!

All that being said, I now have a confession to make: I don't even know what "steampunk" means!
You should google Steampunk - it is more than card making.

Steampunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
or just google images - It is interesting. I don't really do it but when you see it done well it is amazing.

The trend I hate is trends. I don't tend to follow them. What drives me crazy is finding an image and then it has been discontinued because of trends. I just buy what I like... and like others then find something I like more but I stick with what I bought I don't have the disponsible income to have both. I like the challenge of making it work.

Last edited by RiverIsis; 07-31-2011 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 AM   #71  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazsilverwolfView Post
I do exactly the same! Especially at Christmas, I will see a stamp/set I like, so I'll buy it, then not use it till next year. I really hate the way that stamping has now become a fashion orientated area. The one statement guaranteed to get me running away is 'on-trend', lol. Do the companies not 'get', that apart from the enjoyment of creating, we make art/cards etc so they will look DIFFERENT to everything else out there!
I agree, I'll buy and not use a Christmas set until the next year. I bought Happy Winter (a very old set) from SU on the B/S/T forum about four months ago with the plan to use it this Christmas. There were some really cute cards last year with that cute Charlie Brown tree. I'm paring it with an older hostess set from SU-Window Dressings and using Tim Holtz's brick wall embossing folder. The people I send cards to will have no idea they are older items.

This is partly a case from Mary Rose-a card that she made and posted long ago that I just found in the spring of this year on her blog. So, I love to mix old and new...might use SU's new Christmas dsp on this card. I love using my older sets...they just don't see the light of day often enough!

Last edited by Allistamps123; 07-31-2011 at 08:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 08:58 AM   #72  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
I agree, I'll buy and not use a Christmas set until the next year. I bought Happy Winter (a very old set) from SU on the B/S/T forum about four months ago with the plan to use it this Christmas. There were some really cute cards last year with that cute Charlie Brown tree. I'm paring it with an older hostess set from SU-Window Dressings and using Tim Holtz's brick wall embossing folder. The people I send cards to will have no idea they are older items.

This is partly a case from Mary Rose-a card that she made and posted long ago that I just found in the spring of this year on her blog. So, I love to mix old and new...might use SU's new Christmas dsp on this card. I love using my older sets...they just don't see the light of day often enough!
Aww, thanks, Deb! You know me...I LOVE to give love to my old stamps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 09:15 AM   #73  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 472 Likes on 351 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by TruCarMaView Post

If you want to have a look at "steampunk" cards, just type steampunk in the search box of the SCS Gallery. It's not my style at all, but some people do some pretty amazing cards in that style.

My SCS gallery is here should you care to look! Or please visit my blog, Cardmaker's Garret.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 01:19 PM   #74  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
You should google Steampunk - it is more than card making.

Steampunk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
or just google images - It is interesting. I don't really do it but when you see it done well it is amazing.
Steampunk is definitely a trend we see in stamping that is influenced by culture in general...I am a high school librarian, and it is a "hot" subject for fiction for teens right now. That actually has me a bit worried, because another teen fiction trend right now is zombies...hope we won't be seeing stamp sets with that any time soon Although Halloween is just around the corner...

I love this thread and am glad to know I'm not the only one who has yet to take their SU owl punch out of the cellophane yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 01:44 PM   #75  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 431 Likes on 164 Posts

Images that look like a second grader drew them. Why buy it as a stamp when you can draw that yourself???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 02:27 PM   #76  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
cupcakes

except the real ones
Ditto.
Owls - I've seen some cute ones, but can't see where I would ever use them.
Big headed images - hate them! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 03:17 PM   #77  
Stampin' Fool

I usually decide I like a trend just MOMENTS before it is over. I really admire people's Steampunk thingys but can't ever imagine being able to do it myself. One of the DTGD challenges today involves distressing and it has actually made me grind to a halt - NO IDEA where to even start.

I love birds but can't put them in cages. I have just bought a fun new chair set as I love those, lamps too. Don't know why!

Struggling to think of anything I truly loathe, oh no, I know, really horrible people stamps! Like "Holiday Lineup" or the new "Howl-o-ween Creeps" from SU. Bleurgh!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 04:44 PM   #78  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 511 Likes on 229 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by weimsView Post
Probably the "trend" I never got on board with was the cards with 4,798 layers that need ground shipping. I can never get grunge to look anything other than, well, grungy.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 04:51 PM   #79  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by flash&rustyView Post
I am so over one trend that is actually still "current" or very early in it's trendiness - steampunk. And I'm not even getting on that train, let alone wait at the station....that is a style that doesn't appeal to me AT ALL - but to each their own. Butterflies however - love them!
I really am behind the times. What is "steampunk"?

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-31-2011, 05:01 PM   #80  
dfc
Embossing Fanatic

I am at the moment sick of cutesy stamps. The ones with bears holding flowers, fairies wearing flowers, cutesy cartoon animals that are anatomically incorrect and sentiments that look like they've been scribbled.

I see everyone talking about owls and birdcages and russian nesting dolls but I would love to have those! I think I am also one of those who are a little behind and when everyone's sick of something, that's when I get into them!
Reply With Quote Likes