Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #41  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindersView Post
I really don't get why people who make the "crappy" cards even sign up for swaps:confused: If you don't want to put the time in to make them up to par (requirement wise only here) then why join, kwim??? That's what I think when I get them. If I'm spending the money on supplies AND postage and all the time that goes into designing (tough for me) and then the actual assembly of the card I'm going to give it my all.....
I've often wondered why they signed up too. Sometimes I feel taken advantage of, kind of like they sign up knowing they are going to get some nice cards, so they slap something together just so they can be in the swap. I don't really do many swaps, and this is why.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #42  
Mad Swapper

OK, I can understand the frustration that people feel if the swaps they recieve are deemed 'crappy'.
With a grain of salt, I wonder if anyone who is nervous of their own skills but would like to swap, would run a swap for 'newbies', or 'low-skill level' or whatever... giving and recieving without super high expectations?
I guess that's kind of what the OP's question is about. I have no idea if anyone has tried doing such a thing. I'm super dis-organized, so I would not be an organizer, I'd mess it all up. But I would probably join into such a swap more readily than one with really high expectations.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 12:54 AM   #43  
Kookie Creator

See, I would love to swap. But I am even after 3(?) years, I still feel like I flounder though good cards. I feel like I do great work when it comes together. It just doesn't alsways come together. Infact, the wonderful lady that got me into stamping in the first place always told me the beauty of a hand made card is not in how perfect it is. In fact, the imperfections add a certain charm. I, to an extent, agree. HOWEVER, I get a little OCD about my cards and don't like to have my end result look like my 4 year old did it. Also, the creative process kicks my butt ever time. I don't even post my cards in the gallery because I have a hard time deeming them worthy of sharing with the world!

I totally get what Minders has said about following the rules. If everything is spelled out in black and white, HOW DO YOU NOT CHECK WHAT YOU MADE AGAINST THE SPECS REQUIRED? I have never done a swap and get that much! I might make a smidge of room on the question of embelishments... But then I would take it back, because if you know glitter (or whatever) is in the questionable catagory, ask the host.

All in all though, swaps are about sharing your work, ideas and creativity, with others who should appreciate your hard work in some way and hopefully learning something. If you can never guarentee you will love your own work, why would you expect someone else's best to wow you everytime?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 05:20 AM   #44  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by vanislandwomanView Post
OK, I can understand the frustration that people feel if the swaps they recieve are deemed 'crappy'.
With a grain of salt, I wonder if anyone who is nervous of their own skills but would like to swap, would run a swap for 'newbies', or 'low-skill level' or whatever... giving and recieving without super high expectations?
I guess that's kind of what the OP's question is about. I have no idea if anyone has tried doing such a thing. I'm super dis-organized, so I would not be an organizer, I'd mess it all up. But I would probably join into such a swap more readily than one with really high expectations.
After thinking about this and hearing Minders take on it, I went and read up on swaps. They do say that hostesses have the right to send back or ask someone to correct cards that don't comply, but it sounds like many just give up and send out the bad cards.

And I can see how someone would take advantage of swaps by sending in something quickly slapped together, knowing that she'd get really nice cards in return. Frankly, that's a little upsetting.

So then I went and looked at the descriptions of open swaps and wondered if someone should do a "beginner" swap. Then, since I'm crazy, I toyed with starting one. Yikes. I'm organized and responsible enough to pull it off. And since it's a beginner swap, no one should mind having a beginner hostess, right? ;)

It would be for stampers who feel like they are still developing and are afraid to be found lacking by those who are "finely honed" in their skills. What does everyone think?

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 05:24 AM   #45  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not going to cover the ins and outs of following the swap rules but I do want to give my opinion about experience levels.

I teach classes and I have people who say they are intermediate stampers and they barely know the basics. I look at the experience levels based on how many things in your mental tool kit of techniques that you "know".

I go to an annual retreat for intermediate to advanced stampers. The instructors base their class instruction with this in mind. They do not teach basic stamping. One year 2 stampers were having melt downs because the classes were to fast and no one was helping them. They thought they were intermediate stampers simply because they could make a card with a nice design but had no real experience in all the aspects of stamping.

I may be old school, but I feel that some stampers are not working to master the art of stamping. It's not just being able to color with Copics, or use a die cut machine, or where to buy the best embellishments. To me stamping is about:

Understanding how to use paper (weights, types, textures, warp and weave, scoring)
Adhesives (what will hold for the duration, not warp paper)
Coloring techniques (watercolor, pencils, chalk, markers)
Design (is it pleasing to the eye, does it lead your eye to the focus)
Color (do they work together, what pops and what flops)
Embellishments (does it add to the card)
Techniques (embossing (dry/wet), variety of mediums, etc)
Measurements (how to figure layers, best way to cut to save paper, read a ruler)
Stamping (how not to rock a stamp, care of stamps, type of stamps and how to get the best results)
Tools (what to use for what purpose, what works and what doesn't)
and the big one - the willingness to practice.

I guess this is a bit preachy but I see a lot of posts where people are tyring to get the same results someone probably sent hours to perfect. If you want to get the results of the "advanced" stamper you have to be willing to invest the time it takes to get there. Anyone can be a stamper, just ink a stamp and put it on paper. Not that hard to do, but if you want to achieve the results of the wonderful artist we have here on SCS then you have to be willing to spend the time to learn. You may never achieve the desinger's eye but you will become an intermediate stamper because have a full mental tool kit that leads you to become and advanced stamper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 05:48 AM   #46  
Die Cut Diva

Great post, stamphappy1650! That's the best description I've seen of stamping ability. This reminds me of how the USTA ranks tennis players based on a set of skills that have been mastered. Even beginning players can sometimes pull off a great shot or game, but if it's not something they can do consistently, their rankings will reflect their true abilities. Not that I'm suggesting stampers be ranked.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 05:58 AM   #47  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
Great post, stamphappy1650! That's the best description I've seen of stamping ability. This reminds me of how the USTA ranks tennis players based on a set of skills that have been mastered. Even beginning players can sometimes pull off a great shot or game, but if it's not something they can do consistently, their rankings will reflect their true abilities. Not that I'm suggesting stampers be ranked.
Good luck if you hostess a swap! I'm sure you'll do great. Again, I think a beginner swap is a good idea for either new stampers or just those new to swapping.

Hope no one took offense to my "crappy" cards comment. I just used the term to mean cards that didn't fit the rules or ones that were put together sloppy with smeared images, uneven layers and what not. I'm doing an Easter swap soon so we'll see what I get back:-) This particular group, I've had pretty good luck with:-)

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #48  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Hope no one took offense to my "crappy" cards comment.
I took it exactly as you meant it.

My Pinterest Boards
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:11 AM   #49  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Good luck if you hostess a swap! I'm sure you'll do great. Again, I think a beginner swap is a good idea for either new stampers or just those new to swapping.

Hope no one took offense to my "crappy" cards comment. I just used the term to mean cards that didn't fit the rules or ones that were put together sloppy with smeared images, uneven layers and what not. I'm doing an Easter swap soon so we'll see what I get back:-) This particular group, I've had pretty good luck with:-)
Minder, I got it. I've received some pretty crappy cards from people who I thought should be better just because they have been stamping for years.

I also think the beginners swap would be good. It's let everyone play without fear.;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:26 AM   #50  
Glitter Queen

If you don't know how to correctly apply glitter so it sticks every time, if your paper is always cutting crooked, if your images blur - google it - watch YouTube videos - there are tons of ways to learn. IMO, it's not acceptable to use the group of swappers as your way to "learn" stuff - you should act professional in your swapping just like you would in everything you do in life. Do your research - it's fun to spend an hour watching YouTube or some of the great SU only bloggers' videos and learning this stuff. Embrace the learning.

I think the rules should just be stated clearly in the swap, and I think having beginner swaps is a great idea.

However, no matter how beginner you are, it's not acceptable to use construction paper, to use scissors instead of a trimmer, to have blurred or smudged images, etc. There should be basic standards. I, too, have felt taken advantage of in the past - I have literally received torn paper, single layer cards that were smudged, and images that were pasted on crookedly. I felt like the person just wanted the benefits of the swap without the work or expense. I stopped swapping for this very reason.

We were all beginners once. I would hope that most people would have the sense to realize that they're a beginner and not enter an advanced swap. However, this isn't always the case so then the rules need to be enforced so that they can learn what is acceptable.

Oh - and I taught a scrapbooking class at a convention once. It clearly stated on the sign up sheet that it was for intermediate scrappers. I had 2 women in that class who literally did not know how to use their paper trimmer. They had bought all of the supplies but had never scrapped before. I had to teach them how to measure and cut. It threw off the pace of the entire class and I had to scramble to get back on track. I do not understand why someone would think that's acceptable. It's not fair to the other students.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:46 AM   #51  
Kookie Creator

Delete

Last edited by writer's stamp; 02-28-2011 at 02:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 07:52 AM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by OddesignsView Post
I'm seeing two separate ideas emerge here. Some people are disappointed with sloppy cards that didn't follow the swap rules, and others (a minority) seem truly disappointed when receiving cards from "novice" stampers who are still developing their skills.

I've never swapped, so forgive me for my ignorance. But isn't there a hostess who collects and distributes cards? If someone sends in a card that is clearly not up to the swap rules, why is the hostess sending them out to others in the swap? Shouldn't that be part of the job - to enforce the basic rules of the swap?

Exactly! What about consequences?? Someone sends poorly constructed cards, they are sent back to them, instead of a batch of swapped cards. Does this sound harsh? I don't think so, I think it might set some kind of standard.

Also, (ok, maybe you will think this is harsh), but what about when the swap hostess is sorting out the cards to send back to people, how about sorting them into categories like beginner, intermediate, advanced. I have participated in swaps and I notice that the batch of cards I receive back always contain a smattering of all skill levels - I get two really nice ones, one average card and then usually a few that are a little not so good. Why not, in a generalized way, try and sort the cards so that people receive cards that are like the ones they give out. This is not to punish anyone but to make it more fair and too encourage people to want to participate again.

After reading these posts, I see that I am not alone in my feelings about the swaps. I see that people are reluctant to criticize and make waves, as I am (it took me months to have the courage to write this post), but maybe, sometimes, you need to make waves if you want to improve things.

How about if the moderators were to take a poll asking if people are satisfied with the swaps or if they'd like some changes made? Just a thought....

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 07:58 AM   #53  

I've hosted several swaps now and lately I've been noticing that the cards I receive have been so much nicer that they were a few years ago. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this as well, but my last swap that I just finished up had some of the nicest swap cards I've seen. And when I say nicer....I mean the quality of the cards.

I imagine it would be difficult to group swaps into levels of experience without hurting anyone's feelings. I've already seen swaps for beginners- I can't remember how that swap turned out, but for me it's not all about the cards, it's about meeting the wonderful people here too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #54  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaLattyView Post
I've hosted several swaps now and lately I've been noticing that the cards I receive have been so much nicer that they were a few years ago. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this as well, but my last swap that I just finished up had some of the nicest swap cards I've seen. And when I say nicer....I mean the quality of the cards.

I imagine it would be difficult to group swaps into levels of experience without hurting anyone's feelings. I've already seen swaps for beginners- I can't remember how that swap turned out, but for me it's not all about the cards, it's about meeting the wonderful people here too.
I agree entirely. For me, it's about the fun of receiving a card that someone made for you. I love learning new techniques from others or seeing new stamp sets or supplies I've never seen in person. I especially appreciate a handwritten note inside. I've made some nice penpals through swapping here. That makes me really happy.

I would hate to think that people who may make beautiful cards are feeling that they have to have years of experience and make "perfect" cards in order to even think about swapping here.

I think rather than having a "beginner" swap, the better idea would be to have a "Let's Strive for Perfection" swap, where all of the intermediate to advanced (in their own minds) swap their very best cards with each other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #55  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by princessmeshelleView Post
All in all though, swaps are about sharing your work, ideas and creativity, with others who should appreciate your hard work in some way and hopefully learning something. If you can never guarentee you will love your own work, why would you expect someone else's best to wow you everytime?
I whole heartedly agree with you on this. I'm more often than not disappointed with some of the work I put out, but thats not to say that I didn't put the time and effort into it by making sure my cuts were even, even matting on the image, etc. etc. Its just that it usually doesn't match what I have pictured in my head. I love swapping and the excitement of getting a big package in the mail. Even some of the disappointing cards in the package have some element that is useful. I think its a shame that people look down their noses at beginners/novices. The begginers and novices are for the most part striving to get better and need the coaching and experience of the other people in the swap to show them how to get there. Unfortunately, there are some that take the lazy route and just "slap" together a card for the sake of getting some nice cards in return. One thing that people haven't mentioned and I think its important to consider when "judging" someone's work is whether the person who's work you deemed not suitable has a physical handicap. I know that there are quite a few people on this board with a handicap. I would cringe to think that they wouldn't be accepted into the fold so to speak because they are just not physically able to get to the same level as some of the more experienced crafters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #56  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by quirky62View Post
[/COLOR]

Exactly! What about consequences?? Someone sends poorly constructed cards, they are sent back to them, instead of a batch of swapped cards. Does this sound harsh? I don't think so, I think it might set some kind of standard.

Also, (ok, maybe you will think this is harsh), but what about when the swap hostess is sorting out the cards to send back to people, how about sorting them into categories like beginner, intermediate, advanced. I have participated in swaps and I notice that the batch of cards I receive back always contain a smattering of all skill levels - I get two really nice ones, one average card and then usually a few that are a little not so good. Why not, in a generalized way, try and sort the cards so that people receive cards that are like the ones they give out. This is not to punish anyone but to make it more fair and too encourage people to want to participate again.After reading these posts, I see that I am not alone in my feelings about the swaps. I see that people are reluctant to criticize and make waves, as I am (it took me months to have the courage to write this post), but maybe, sometimes, you need to make waves if you want to improve things.

How about if the moderators were to take a poll asking if people are satisfied with the swaps or if they'd like some changes made? Just a thought....
I can totally understand having my cards returned if I didn't follow the rules. But the first things that come to mind about the hostess sorting into "like-skilled" categories:
1) One more thing for a hostess to do. I'm not so sure that would make people want to host. I know I wouldn't want to judge others work.

2)Wouldn't that throw off how many cards you would expect back? I've never done a swap, but I thought that there was an idea of how many to expect back. So, if there are 6 people in a swap, you would expect 6 different cards back. If you are one of 2 who are advanced, wouldn't you get 1 card in that scenario?

I'm sure I could go all day thinking of ways for that idea to go wrong. But, I think it might be best to expect hostesses to enforce their rules. They are the ones who chose to host a swap and set the rules for it. They should enforce the rules. As irritating as it might be to get cards that don't follow the rules, I would be more irritated the hostess sent out something that clearly violated her rules. Beyond that, I think that more people need to remember it's about having fun over all. Everyone has their own reasons for joining, but I'm sure there is the fun factor for everyone. I like what Flowersandhearts said about a perfectionist swap. That might be more realistic than trying to conform to an arbitrary system of skill levels.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #57  
Kookie Creator

I think part of joining a swap involves risk that you may get some you do not like. But, for me personally, I look for interesting new ideas. I get cards I don't like back and those go to charity. For me it is more for the social interaction and inspiration. I'm not sure if i would be advanced, interemediate or novice- but I do "my" best, which is subjective. I guess if I were looking for a particular skill level I might try to do a swap by invite rather than opening it up to everyone and then maybe include others by referral. Then you know what you can expect to get.

IMHO>

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 11:22 AM   #58  
Polyshrink Goddess

There is a difference between a card that an individual doesn't "like" and a card that is poorly made.

While a beginner's swap sounds nice, I still don't think I will do it just because I really don't have the time right now and can't commit.

But if it does get going, I hope it goes well and everyone enjoys it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #59  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you Pamela..i too think there is a risk in swapping out cards and in fact even images its kinda a crap shoot!!!
but we all started out somewhere and infact i still have my first card and think wow what was i thinking ..lol but i also sent it in over a month early to the hostess and asked if it was ok ...cause than i had time to redo it..lol
People just really need to read the requests and follow the good quality paper no flimsy card stock that the card wont stand up..
Crisp clean images...
I just hope that the new people dont get scared off by reading this but take it to heart and learn as they go..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #60  
Insane Embellisher

I wasn't going to comment on this thread but then I thought "aw heck I haven't offended anyone today!"

I have no idea what my "level" is - I think I hover somewhere in the beginner phase have no idea. I've participated in a few swaps and looked at them as a way to interact with others, see others style and basically participate in something fun. It's a shame knowing now that others probably have viewed my work in the past as disappointing. You just have to enter a swap knowing you might not love everything you receive back but maybe someone who receives your card will absolutely love it and be satisfied you may have made someones day. I hope this doesn't discourage anyone from joining a swap I still think it's a great way to meet people.

So to answer the original question I don't think swaps by "skill level" are a good idea. To much room for discouraging someone.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 02:31 PM   #61  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

There are quite a few swap groups where folks privately invite participants from whom they have received good quality cards in a timely manner. That seems like the best outcome scenario to me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 02:40 PM   #62  
Insane Embellisher

Mindykid,

How does one go about finding out about these groups?

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 03:44 PM   #63  

Quote:

Originally Posted by MindykidView Post
There are quite a few swap groups where folks privately invite participants from whom they have received good quality cards in a timely manner. That seems like the best outcome scenario to me.
I never heard of this before and I've been swapping here for a few years now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 04:11 PM   #64  
Insane Embellisher

I'm glad I found this thread before joining a swap... I am a beginner cardmaker who stands in AWE of the fantastic creations in the members gallery. I've never joined a swap because of my skill level. I am not comfortable sending my pitiful creations to any of the SC master cardmakers. My basic skills disappoint even me (regardless of the effort I pour into them), I would rather not disappoint others. I don't know the ins and outs of swaps, but if you find a way to create a beginners level swap, I would consider joining one.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 05:49 PM   #65  
Insane Embellisher

Personal note, I am going to attempt my first "Clean & Simple" swap.

Last edited by B'Lou Moon; 02-20-2011 at 05:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #66  
Insane Embellisher

To Rubber Trucker,

I'm sorry that you think my post sounds snobby. I really didn't mean it to be. Sometimes, it's difficult when you are writing, because your 'tone' can be miscontrued.

In regard to your question of 'quality', well, it's nice if the cardstock is high quality and, if the card is neat, well-put together, and the colors and design are well coordinated. For me, those qualities make a good card.

If I've discouraged any beginners from entering swaps, that was not my intention at all. I guess, I was voicing my frustration over receiving swap cards that, in the past, have been sloppy and not well thought out.

-

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #67  
Rubber Obsessor

Call me naive, but I can't imagine anyone deliberately sending in shoddy work just to get some nice cards in return. I wonder if it's not more like karaoke night. Ever been there? It seems that there's always someone who thinks they can sing really well...when the actual truth is, they couldn't find the tune if it fell on them. When they leave the stage, they seem proud of themselves, totally unaware that everyone in the audience is thinking, "Wow, there's a voice that could curdle milk."

What's my point? Maybe at least some of our stamping friends have the best intentions, but just not enough experience to know what's good and what's not. And as several of you have said, it is really subjective...when is cardstock heavy enough? Does a strip of decorative paper constitute a layer? Is embossing powder an embellishment?

One result of this interesting thread is that I went back and looked through all the cards I've received and saved from swaps, and tried to compare my own work...and I just can't do it objectively. I like what I make...but I know I'm a disaster on karaoke night, so....now I'm scared. And I will think twice before signing up for another swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:16 PM   #68  
Forum Fanatic

[QUOTE=RubberTrucker;17979951]To the OP: define "quality."

To Stamphappy: Personally, I've been stamping on and off for somewhere around 30 years. I don't like markers and have no desire to learn to use Copic$. I have no desire to learn to use (nor to own) a die-cutting machine. I use very few embellishments. Does that make me less a stamper than you?
QUOTE]

Oh my it sounds like youre pretty upset with me. Am I a better stamper than you, nope. Are my cards better than yours, nope. Does the fact that you have been stamping 15 years more than I have make you a better stamper than me, nope. The point I was trying to make is that coloring with copics, using a die cutting machine, or using embellishments does not make a person an advanced stamper. The point I was trying to make it that to be an intermediate stamper you need to know the basics of stamping (the ones I listed).

I taught a class that was advertised for intermediate to advanced stampers. The class project required basic knowledge of heat embossing, measuring, using a variety of coloring techniques. I had several beginer stampers sign up and because they didn't know the basics of stamping they were frustrated because it was hard for them to keep up. The intermediate/advanced stampers finished the project on time with little effort. The beginers took up to 2 hours longer, their project had several mistakes that they couldn't hide, they had glue everywhere, and the project was not as lovely as those who had the skills they needed. I spent time with them to give individual instruction that took time away from others. In the end it would have been better if they had taken some of my other classes to learn the baiscs before attempting this class project.

The great thing about stamping is the freedom to express oneself, but if a stamper is going to participate in something that is advertised with certain expectations then it is up to that stamper to meet or exceed the expectations to be fair to everyone.

This thread is not about if a design is better that another. It's all about quality of the work we share and if a person is a novice in a technique then they should practice before sharing the work in a swap.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #69  
Insane Embellisher

Please know, as a true beginner I did not take any comments personally - I appreciate everyones honest opinions and candor. Personally, I think a beginners swap is a great idea. I would be more inclined to participate...

Last edited by B'Lou Moon; 02-20-2011 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #70  
Rubber Obsessor

One more comment: I think it's a good suggestion to let the host make the determination about whether the requirements have been met, and send back cards that don't make the grade. Several swaps I've been in say that in the directions. I must be missing something, because I can't see how doing that would throw off the count. Each participant is going to get back the set number of cards, regardless of how many people participate. For example, if it's a 5+1, you're going to get 5 back, no matter what. Eliminating someone would just mean that the host divides the total by one less person...right???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #71  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 667 Likes on 419 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by quirky62View Post
In the past, I have participated in card swaps. I no longer do so because of the unreliability factor- the cards I receive represent a variety of card-making skill levels. I experience frustration when I receive cards that are well below the standards of my own.

Now, I know, here on this website, we have papercrafters of all skill and experience levels. So, why not, then, set up the swaps in a way that people of 'like' skill and experience swap with one another?

Designated levels like, 'beginner', 'intermediate' and 'advanced' could be assigned to the various swaps. Along with this, either pictures of cards and/or explanations of just what it means to be in a certain level, would be supplied.

What do you all think of this idea?
hmmm, how you see your self and how others see you are often two different things. and who would decide? and what if you labeled your self as advanced... where is there room for you to grow???

I can remember my very first card swap, it took place at CKmessageboard ( yep, the scrapbooking site probably about 8 or 9 years ago now) and how excited i was that they accepted me into it and how hard i worked on those cards and how proud i was of them. I did the very best job I had in me at the time. I received cards nearly equal, or better to what i sent in, and it was such a growing learning thing for me. I don't swap anymore mainly because, I do not enjoy assembly line type projects. but, to me this whole idea says... if your a newbie don't bother and how will they learn anything else if they can't hold the finished projects in their hands? and or chat with the other swappers to ask questions after. so, I would never vote for this kind of a system of judgement. That was the coolest thing about doing that swap was the chicks involved in CK at that time they later went on to be big deal names all over the industry and all of them were glad to share what they knew, how they did it and they offered help to the newbies all the time, If i had not "met" those people there I would not be here and know what i know today.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 07:27 PM   #72  
Embossing Fanatic

WOW after reading all of these posts I will now stay away from the swaps area.
My cards are nice and pretty with layers and embellishments but I am to afraid someone would not like it and return my swap back to me.

I will stick to making my cards for whatever I want and I will post them in the Gallery this week and that will be plenty of sharing for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #73  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

There's always the send a card receive a card thread to join ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 04:59 AM   #74  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvofstampsView Post
WOW after reading all of these posts I will now stay away from the swaps area.
My cards are nice and pretty with layers and embellishments but I am to afraid someone would not like it and return my swap back to me.

I will stick to making my cards for whatever I want and I will post them in the Gallery this week and that will be plenty of sharing for me.
I agree, I will think very seriously before I join another swap on this board. I put every thing I have into my cards and feel they should be "acceptable" but who knows? Art is subjective! There are folks here who have certain disabilities and those who just can't afford to have the latest and greatest and I would just hate to think that they are not as welcome to join in as anyone else.
Instead of having a "Beginner" swap, I think that those who expect "perfection" should host "perfectionist" swaps so that it's clear to all that doing your best is not necessarily what the swap is looking for.
I feel like we are all back on a playground where only the cool kids get to play. I like swaps for the fun of interacting with others, no matter their skill level. Joining a swap is a gamble, you never know what you will get but if it was very clear that you were joining a "perfectionist" swap you may not be as disappointed at what you get back.
Sorry for the rant, but I just had to get it off my chest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 05:23 AM   #75  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by RubberLady603View Post
I agree, I will think very seriously before I join another swap on this board. I put every thing I have into my cards and feel they should be "acceptable" but who knows? Art is subjective! There are folks here who have certain disabilities and those who just can't afford to have the latest and greatest and I would just hate to think that they are not as welcome to join in as anyone else.
Instead of having a "Beginner" swap, I think that those who expect "perfection" should host "perfectionist" swaps so that it's clear to all that doing your best is not necessarily what the swap is looking for.
I feel like we are all back on a playground where only the cool kids get to play. I like swaps for the fun of interacting with others, no matter their skill level. Joining a swap is a gamble, you never know what you will get but if it was very clear that you were joining a "perfectionist" swap you may not be as disappointed at what you get back.
Sorry for the rant, but I just had to get it off my chest.
You have such pretty cards in your gallery and they are IMHO perfect. If I was in a swap with you I'd love to get one of your cards.

I think this thread has lost the intent of what the OP was talking about quality. The quality of the materials, the time it takes to restamp something if you smudge it, no fingerprints, etc. It's not snobbery or looking down on someone's design or color choices. It's about meeting the swap's requirements with respect for the other member's effort.

I have heard where a swap requirements specified quality cardstock and a swapper used photocopy paper for the card base. I've participated in an image swap and 2 of 5 samples had fingerprints on them. Where the swap requirments specified using at least 3 embellishments (they listed what was acceptable) and cards were submitted with no embellishments. This is the kind of things that make people not want to swap. When someone puts their time and effort into a project to swap most people want/expect to receive a simlar effort in return.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 05:31 AM   #76  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
You have such pretty cards in your gallery and they are IMHO perfect. If I was in a swap with you I'd love to get one of your cards.

I think this thread has lost the intent of what the OP was talking about quality. The quality of the materials, the time it takes to restamp something if you smudge it, no fingerprints, etc. It's not snobbery or looking down on someone's design or color choices. It's about meeting the swap's requirements with respect for the other member's effort.

I have heard where a swap requirements specified quality cardstock and a swapper used photocopy paper for the card base. I've participated in an image swap and 2 of 5 samples had fingerprints on them. Where the swap requirments specified using at least 3 embellishments (they listed what was acceptable) and cards were submitted with no embellishments. This is the kind of things that make people not want to swap. When someone puts their time and effort into a project to swap most people want/expect to receive a simlar effort in return.
Well said.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 AM   #77  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post

Ahhhh, I understand better now. Sloppy and not following guidelines is a whole different discussion than skill level. I have to admit that fingerprints all over something would bother me too.
And thanks for your kind words about my gallery!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 06:39 AM   #78  
Pearl-ExPert

Quirky and LaLatty-
After participating in a couple of swaps, I started getting private messages from other hostesses or participants who invited me to participate in their next invitation-only swaps. I have also emailed folks to invite them to invitation-only swaps that I host. The quality of what I receive in these swaps is very good.

I still participate in the regular swaps on the boards here and I receive some really nice cards so I wouldn't recommend going "cold turkey" on the public swaps. There are some fantastic artists participating in them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #79  
Pearl-ExPert

What an interesting thread this has turned out to be - such varied opinions and ideas!

Makes me want to hostess a "newbies only" swap. Actually, I think I will!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #80  
Pearl-ExPert

OK, here it is - a swap especially for newbies and swap virgins! This is a chance to get to know fellow artisans in other parts of the world and share creative and inspirational works of art.

Come on...you know you want to...

SWAPPED AND HEADED HOME - NEWBIES and VIRGIN swappers only by Mindykid at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes