Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-26-2016, 11:34 AM   #41  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMRView Post
do you enjoy it? yes--keep doing it!!
I agree! Even though it sometimes seems as if people don't appreciate my efforts, they now expect a card I made. And if they don't get one, I hear about it.

Be a "secret sister" to someone you know that may not have family nearby.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2016, 02:41 PM   #42  
Die Cut Diva

Location: Where the trees sway gently and birds sing softly in Sunny SoCal.
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
What do you get out of art journalling? . . .
Just really curious. Part of me wants to try art journaling, but every time I get a book for it and set out to start, I think "Oh, I'll just make something I can send/show/give to someone instead."
I am late dropping in on this thread but when I saw your question, I wanted to give you my answer.

I am NOT artistic. Running out and buying an easel, canvases and bunches of expensive paints would be a total waste for me. But a cheap journal and a few bottles of paint give me a whole new way to dabble and play in a creative way.

I have been most inspired by Vicky Papaioannou's journal pages. She uses a fun mix of paint, pens and collage to create adorable pages. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...DqpSRlQXSuM0ZQ

My art journal pages are for me. I like to add little words of wisdom or encouragement--just for me. It's been awhile since I made a page. I think it's about time I do. Maybe I'll use my farm stamps that I got with my Hope You Can Cling To win. I think that would be fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-28-2016, 01:03 PM   #43  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for answering my question, Melissa. I am really going through a period of not knowing what I might want to do with all my crafting stuff in addition to making cards, because I really don't send out very many cards (I offered a visiting relative a pick of some of my stash to take home recently and she said "Oh, no thanks, we'd never use them, we're terrible about stuff like that." !!!) and while I don't have ton of crafting stuff, not like some who have been at this for many years, it's very much a mixed media stash - lots of paint and mediums because I do Gelli printing.

Art journals seem like kind of an obvious thing. I think I have to get out of the mindset of "product" and into "process."
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2016, 01:05 AM   #44  
Embossing Fanatic

So I have a question - when you donate your cards to nursing homes or foster homes, are the cards blank inside, for example - they aren't 'from' anyone. It's up to the staff to give the birthday card to a recipient and sign the card or is the card for a senior to give to another senior? Just curious because I want to start doing this on a local level in my town.
TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2016, 04:10 AM   #45  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by janfoselliView Post
So I have a question - when you donate your cards to nursing homes or foster homes, are the cards blank inside, for example - they aren't 'from' anyone. It's up to the staff to give the birthday card to a recipient and sign the card or is the card for a senior to give to another senior? Just curious because I want to start doing this on a local level in my town.
TIA!
Mine are blank inside, and the nursing home is welcome to use then however they choose. I confess, I've never thought too hard about what happens after I drop them off. Initially, I've just asked for the volunteer coordinator or the rec. therapist, to see if they would like a batch of handmade cards, and let them take it from there.

I think staff to resident is the usual way they're used, but resident to resident or resident use for others they care about is another way they could be used. If there's a little nursing home gift shop and they want to use the cards there, I'm good with that too. I think the proceeds usually go toward a little something special for the residents, right? And if staff members use them among themselves, I'm happy if I'm adding a little joy to their life, too. They do such important work caring for people at a difficult time in their life's journey. If using my cards are a small 'thank you' for what they do, I'm good with that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2016, 07:11 AM   #46  
Glitter Guru

I was kind of in the same boat....I bought and bought and bought and then realized I didn't enjoy making cards that much! That is an expensive revelation to have, too! LOL

I started doing craft fairs a few years ago with my papercrafting items. I discovered that I enjoy doing that. That turned into doing more candy christmas items (3D things, etc.) and I discovered that I really enjoyed that. And I make what I want, what I think is cute, and it has turned into a pretty good little hobby. I make decent money to have around the holidays and only do a couple of shows in November and December. I make stuff all year, so I get to create all year, keeping my creative juices flowing. I do not really take orders (because I work full time and don't want to make things I don't want to make) and what I have to sell is what I have to sell.

If it's the card making you don't enjoy, maybe try making some 3D items or other things you might see here or on Pinterest. I just realized that cards weren't for me like I thought they would be. And that's ok. I have justified all the stuff I own by making other non-card items.

I recently sold all of my already made cards to a friend who needed cards for a space she has in a retail artsy space. She just didn't have the time to make cards and the woman who owned the shop wanted more cards. So it was a win win for both of us...I got rid of 100 cards and she got 100 cards to put in her card rack and she could focus on the other items she makes. Maybe check around to see if there is a crafter who would buy your cards outright for something like this. You aren't taking on any of the rental space costs, just selling cards you already have on hand.

But if you love making cards, then keep doing it. I love all the suggestions about donating them to nursing homes, shelters, military charities, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-02-2016, 08:22 AM   #47  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Kelly, you just made me realize how many things I make with my card craft materials. I make gift bags and boxes, tags, and gift card holders. Favors filled with candies, cosmetics, and creams. I make Notepads when a card isnt enough or not needed. I cover notebooks for garden journals each season for friends, make mini alblums for new grandparents.
I make tons of cards as I am a technique junkie, but send few. I give them as gifts or donate them.
I use my supplies and tools for practical things too. I solved the problem of sliding K cups by making trays from heavy c/s to fit my drawer in the kitchen. I liked the idea so much that I organized my glitter and embossing powders the same way. It gave me more room than the foam board dividers I was using. This idea organized a drawer of "sticky back" papers I pre cut to basic die sizes. When I run out of a color, the tray level tells me to cut another large sheet for needed sizes.
My supplies have helped me to decorate coasters, vases, plates for special occassions.

I love taking the theme or hobby of a friend i.e. Cats, quilting, ladybugs, flowers, pickles and making a variety of usable items for them for their next gift. A few gift tags and a stack of cards for a busy friend is a welcome gift. AND if you add matching gift bags and tissue or the extra postage stamps for a shut in or busy person i.e new mother, career climber, your gift is valued.

I get so much joy and from the reactions, I'm giving joy. So it is win win.

Try branching out.start by making a smaller card front and addding it to the front of a purchased note pad. Cut a slice in a gift bag and " hang" a card on the front to decorate it for your next gift. Enjoy the process and dont worry about the card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 10:09 AM   #48  
Insane Embellisher

I like the idea of taking them to nursing homes and hospitals. There are a lot of lonely people out there that are have no one or very few people. I also love the idea of RAK groups.

I've gotten to lately where I make cards on a need by need basis now, but wish I had a stock pile that I've made. I do make like little box sets of note card type cards or a variety of greeting cards and gift to my sister. She loves to send cards. She still sends more than I do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #49  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Denverkat276View Post
I like the idea of taking them to nursing homes and hospitals. There are a lot of lonely people out there that are have no one or very few people. I also love the idea of RAK groups.

I've gotten to lately where I make cards on a need by need basis now, but wish I had a stock pile that I've made. I do make like little box sets of note card type cards or a variety of greeting cards and gift to my sister. She loves to send cards. She still sends more than I do.
I always make sets of note cards at Christmas as gifts for the gals in my family. The nicest thing happened when a daughter-in-law sent me back one of the cards and said: "I wanted you to see what it's like to get one of your great cards in the mail."

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-03-2016, 03:37 PM   #50  
Stampin' Fool

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I too, used to make more cards than I gave out. I have a solution that can make you AND someone else feel better. In case you are not familiar, there is a non-profit organization called Chemo Angels where you can sign up to be assigned a patient who is undergoing chemotherapy and your only job is to send a card, note or small gift once a week.

In the 10 years I've either been a chemo angel, senior angel (sending weekly cards to a lonely senior) or a card angel (card angels only send cards, small gifts are optional) it has been a blessing in my life. To learn more, click the link in my signature line.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 05:21 AM   #51  
Insane Embellisher

I know what you mean too. I enjoy making my cards. I am a SU demonstrator, and send them to people at church. I hold events at church and school and teach people how to make cards. I also send them out to people on our prayer request chain.
another GREAT organization, is PHIL'S FRIENDS. This is an organization that collects donates and sends thousands of cards out weekly to cancer patients. WWW.PHILSFRIENDS.ORG. Look into ways you can help, either by printing out their coloring pages, or contacting them to see where you can fit in. Thanks for this link to other organizations too, you can always create and donate. You won't always get people to buy your cards or creations, but, the point is, God can use your talents and your gifting of encouragement to people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2016, 07:53 AM   #52  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While reading this whole thread.....I just had to smile/chuckle......its so true .....
"One man's trash is another man's treasure".....
"One person's problem is another person's wish"......
I have plenty of people to send cards to and plenty of supplies to make them.......but not a SINGLE moment to sit at my workbench and actually get the stamp ONTO the ink and ONTO the paper!! You are SOO lucky to have cards "piling up"!! Thats GREAT!! ENJOY!! Cuz I'm totally Green with JELLY!!!
Reply With Quote Likes