Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-31-2008, 02:03 PM   #41  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,400 Likes on 526 Posts

I buy because I have fun using it all. I am not a big shopper, I usually stick to SU and CTMH, and I place orders only when their new catalogs come out. I also will go to our local stamp store once a year. So I'm not shopping frequently. But my orders are large. And I make every card I send out, I make almost every gift I give, I make things for my husband's and children's lunches, etc. so I DO use my stuff. I like having a nice variety of things on hand to choose from which is why it looks like I have so much. But if DH ever asks me, "Do you USE all this?" I can honestly answer, "Yes!"
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 02:04 PM   #42  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopping DivaView Post
I know we have chatted about 2009 goals, etc. But why do we collect so much stuff and not use it right away?

Is it because it's pretty?

Is it because we really intend to use our stuff, but don't have the time?

Is it because we have a "shopping" problem (hence my name - LOL!)?

We couldn't possibly "NEED" all of the stuff we buy, so I'm just sitting here thinking my reasons are all of the above. :-D
all of the above for me too! But I do "NEED" it all!

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #43  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 188 Likes on 90 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by kstamperView Post
For me, it's because I have to have one of everything. If it comes in 8 colors, I have to have all 8, even though I may only use 2 of them. I may 'need' one of the other 6, then I would be upset I didn't buy it in the first place! And it doesn't ever get better. No matter how much ribbon I buy, I almost always never have the right one when I am making a card.
I know I have way too much stuff, but I really do plan on using it one of these years!!
I so understand what you mean. I never seem to have the right color ribbon. I need to get all the ribbon in the SU catalog, but.....
I've also been cleaning my craft table. Like someone posted a few posts back, it takes hours! At least I can now fit my new laptop on the table, but I still have a ways to go, and my SIL is coming over in 20 min to celebrate NYE. Oh my........I need to retire!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 03:12 PM   #44  
Insane Embellisher

[QUOTE=merryf;12486718]It's so interesting to read everyone's ideas about why we do this. For me, I think it's that I'm finally figuring out my style, in stamps and in paper and embellishments. For several years, when I was first starting, I didn't know what my style was, so I bought things that caught my eye. I ended up not using a bunch of stuff. Now that I'm solidly 5 years into stamping. I'm better at realizing what I will really use and what is just the "urge to spend".

I'm in this spot right now too! Still trying to figure out my style and I also can't seem to pass up any clearance bargain. It will get used at some point!

My crafting spending will "never ever" be as much as my hubby has spent on his hobbies- so I don't feel too bad if I purchased something and have not used it yet. I also tend to RAK some of the things I thought I loved and had to have but never used too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 03:18 PM   #45  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think there are so many new stamps and products coming out all of the time that we hardly have time to use our recent purchases before we are tempted with the new ones. When you couple that with the change of seasons and holidays, it is easy to see why we buy so many new things.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 03:32 PM   #46  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by The GardenerView Post
I think there are so many new stamps and products coming out all of the time that we hardly have time to use our recent purchases before we are tempted with the new ones. When you couple that with the change of seasons and holidays, it is easy to see why we buy so many new things.
So true!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 04:42 PM   #47  
Cardstock Collector

I agree and love so much of what has already been said. One of my main reasons for buying so much now ...is money going to be in shorter supply soon and at least I will be able to keep doing my hobby/therapy. There is also the theory of my grandchildren will have a wonderful inheritance and never need to buy anything crafty either . Now I am busy working on making sure Miss nearly 4 and master 9 months are going to be interested in making cards and scrapbooking.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #48  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by pidgesmomView Post
It all goes back to the caveman days when the men were the hunters and the women the gatherers. Women were always responsible for stocking up and storing of things and knowing where they were. The pioneers had root cellars and our grandparents had canning. Of course, they were doing it for nourishment. We're just doing it to feed our creative souls.
Holy Smokes!! This is the most brilliant, and plausible, explanation I have ever seen!
My A Muse Studio
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 03:52 PM   #49  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Wink

What a great question!!!

I've decided that my hobby is really comprised of three hobbies: 1) Playing on SCS, 2) making cards, and 3) SHOPPING FOR NEW STUFF...it's so much fun!!

I do have a question I want to throw out there though, that I've been afraid to post. I've never seen anyone actually mention "COST" and I thought maybe it was taboo. But I have to be honest I wonder all the time. I have, let's say, a "moderate-to-good" supply of stuff and I have spent literally thousands of dollars!!!!

When I see people list the stuff that they have and they have a hundred times more than me...I just can't help wondering are they spending thousand and thousands and thousand and thousand and thousands and thousands of dollars???

Not that there's anything wrong with that. lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #50  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReddyiscoView Post
What a great question!!!

I've decided that my hobby is really comprised of three hobbies: 1) Playing on SCS, 2) making cards, and 3) SHOPPING FOR NEW STUFF...it's so much fun!!

I do have a question I want to throw out there though, that I've been afraid to post. I've never seen anyone actually mention "COST" and I thought maybe it was taboo. But I have to be honest I wonder all the time. I have, let's say, a "moderate-to-good" supply of stuff and I have spent literally thousands of dollars!!!!

When I see people list the stuff that they have and they have a hundred times more than me...I just can't help wondering are they spending thousand and thousands and thousand and thousand and thousands and thousands of dollars???

To answer this - YES! :eek:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #51  
Pearl-ExPert

Love this thread! I honestly buy things because of beauty. Now saying that I make sure I have a use for them before I buy them! I treat scrappin shoppin the same way I do my clothing. If it can go with more than three items I already own then I'll get it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #52  
Rubber Obsessor

i find myself going to Mikes and ACmoore looking for cute new things when i already have more than enough to create! then i get it home and dont use it and it gets tossed into the pile of all the other stuff i have yet to used (cuz its "too pretty" or im waiting for the "right project").
o well...that one of my 2009 resolutions...use my stash so i can get more!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2009, 09:09 PM   #53  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReddyiscoView Post

Very good question! I don't often stop to think about the value of the stuff in my craft area/office. But you're right - if I had to replace it today, it would be thousands of dollars! I don't even like to think about it - I've been accumulating supplies since 1996 or 1997. I haven't studied economics in a long time but remember something about "sunk costs" and consumables. I have a lot of non-consumables - die cutting machines and dies, stamp sets, storage items, tools etc.. and then consumable products like cardstock, ink pads, etc.

I haven't had to invest in non-consumable products as much these days. I have really tried to watch the consumable stuff - but it's also fun to "collect" things like Stickles, ribbon, dew drops....

I have had more opportunity to think about it with all the concerns with the economy...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2009, 03:48 AM   #54  
Embossing Fanatic

Default $$

Reddyisco,

You're absolutely right! I'm sure my craft room contains quite a few thousands of dollars. But, I must admit, I RARELY pay full price for anything. I always use coupons at ACM or Mike's or they have been gifts. When anyone asks me what I want for Christmas, birthday, etc. I always say money, then I can buy what I want. I've also been papercrafting since 1995, so I've accumulated quite abit in that time. You just do a little at a time and it will build. Happy crafting! Angela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #55  
Polyshrink Goddess

So, if I make myself clean and put away all my stuff I won't have time to buy more....or at least I won't buy doubles if I know what I have.
My theory on too much stamping stuff is it is better than too many nights in the bar!

The lesson from Charlie Brown: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #56  
Mad Swapper

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't have a lot of time to stamp, so if I buy more stuff, I still feel like a part of the stamping community.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 PM   #57  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shopping DivaView Post
I know we have chatted about 2009 goals, etc. But why do we collect so much stuff and not use it right away?

Is it because it's pretty?

Is it because we really intend to use our stuff, but don't have the time?

Is it because we have a "shopping" problem (hence my name - LOL!)?

We couldn't possibly "NEED" all of the stuff we buy, so I'm just sitting here thinking my reasons are all of the above. :-D
Funny you ask this, I've been thinking of asking this question too as there is always so much talk of hoarding and I do the same thing. It made me wonder why. I mean I don't mind using it when I use it but I'll get a little anxious if I use too much on a card or something like that.

I'll go read the responses now to see if I can find my reason.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #58  
Embossing Fanatic

Well honestly I started scrapping 3.5 years ago and I might have 30 layouts done but I have done cards, altering and etc during that time also. But I have been buying and buying and have barely used any of my stash. If i see something new or pretty I MUST have it or if some post a new toy or a great deal then I MUST have it also. I am a huge paper hoarder. I use to love patterened paper but now I would rather have solid color cardstock. I also have a new addiction which is stamping.I love SU stamps,paper and inks. But my new years resolution is to use up my stash that is why I have joined challenges to try to motivate me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2009, 05:51 PM   #59  
Hardware Hotshot

Well, after reading through all these great and logical answers, I agree with them all, they all make sense to me. I've done them all, seen a card, needed everything to make, forgot when I finally got it, don't want to run out, need colors to match, never seem to have the right ribbon even though I've over 100 rolls which is probably nothing compared to many of you, I run out of time, SCS enablers (I too was fine until I found this site), need the newest coolest stuff to create cool cards I've seen, ummm...........and it's fun to buy, ideas flow at the store but if I'm lunch or not home right away I might forget or not get to it, totally intend to use it all someday when I've time. So many supplies, so little time.

This all makes sense to me now. Thanks for asking, I thought I was alone for awhile until I saw this site talking about hoarding. :-D
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 PM   #60  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Oh my...

Stamping and card making started out as just something to do "on occasion".....then.....as I found the community (SCS, blogs, classes, stores)...I was amazed at the creativity and artistry and wanted to do more and more....so I bought more and more.....I found that I loved the colors and invested heavily in chalk, pencils, ink, etc. etc. etc. So the 8 billion brads and do-dads that I bought at the beginning have been in the drawer for quite a while now. A couple of the local stores have started hosting "garage sales" and that helps to move those supplies to someone who will actually use them! I have also been to a couple of SU demo events where gently used stamps are sold or swapped among the participants. I also just recently found the "swaps" on SCS! I'm participating in a snowman stamp swap and today joined a ribbon swap! Super ideas!!!! Sharing and getting new fun ideas and supplies just for the cost of a stamp! I have stopped making grand pronouncements about not buying anything else 'cause everytime I do I find a new idea on SCS and I'm a goner . I just found the Paper Bouquet book and of course will be needing a whole new bunch of punches...............thanks to all for being out there.......keep on sharing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2009, 02:14 AM   #61  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 114 Likes on 49 Posts

I'm like many and just love aquiring but here's a new one for you. It's cheaper than therapy. It's healthier than drinking. Plus drinking shuts off the filter between my brain and mouth, not a good thing. I married a man with 4 kids (with us 24/7) over 13 years ago. We put the fun in dysfunction. I have a ridiculous amount of crafty stuff but won't quit until the last one is gone because when I'm frustrated beyond words(often) browsing the SU catalog, SCS, or a craft store helps. I have singlehandedly maintained my hobby demo status for more years than I'll admit and that's a lot of product, especially when you add other brands and my fabric stash. That and my sister are the things that have kept me sane. Thanks sissie.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2009, 02:34 AM   #62  
Crimping Master

My dd and I just had this conversation yesterday after I bought a 3 pack of glitter from MS. She asked me if I bought stuff to use it or just because I liked to collect it. Good question. I know that I am a completor (sp?) I like complete sets of things. There are 30 colors of MS glitter at Wally World and I want all 30. Will I use all 30? Who knows, maybe, eventually. But it will bug me if I don't have all 30, if they are available. So I will buy 1 every time I go until I have them all. Unfortunately, the same thing goes for Stickles, Prismacolors, Dewdrops, H2O,s, MS punches,.....

Pamela
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-08-2009, 05:57 AM   #63  
Insane Embellisher

I do love my stamps dearly and EVERYTHING that goes along with them. I tend to be a very complusive shopper here and have accumulated many things with this hobby. Yet, for me, good sense and self-control needs to prevail. My DH is unemployed, for the most part, except for the few sub jobs that come his way, so times are very tough for us financially. I have resolved myself to severely limit my craft expenses. It's ok though because I could practically open my own craft store with my stamp/craft stash!
Reply With Quote Likes