Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 08-18-2014, 01:10 PM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do I bother?

I have a beautifully organized craft room. All of my supplies have their own places on shelves, in containers or in tucked away in the closet.

Yesterday it took me an hour to clean up my workspace to get ready for a card making group to come over. I'm on a mixed media kick lately, and I tend to use a lot of different supplies, from paint to ink, die cuts, stamps, embellishments, etc.

When I resumed my latest project, everything came back out of their assigned places and the room looked like it had before I cleaned.

How do you maintain an organized room and get anything done?!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 01:13 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think a messy studio table is the sign of ongoing creativity at work.

Yes, supplies need to be organized to find them, but in the process of creating, there will be stuff all over the table.

And that is a good thing :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

my answer... I don't! I am lucky enough to have a dining room sized table I work on, so stuff just gets pushed aside until it gets too bad, I have someone over, or it gets to the point I can't find stuff any more.

My blog: Tails in the stamp room
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post
I have a beautifully organized craft room. All of my supplies have their own places on shelves, in containers or in tucked away in the closet.

Yesterday it took me an hour to clean up my workspace to get ready for a card making group to come over. I'm on a mixed media kick lately, and I tend to use a lot of different supplies, from paint to ink, die cuts, stamps, embellishments, etc.

When I resumed my latest project, everything came back out of their assigned places and the room looked like it had before I cleaned.

I'm in the same boat. I use our second bedroom as my craft room. When I'm working on something it looks like a tornado came through and I don't worry about it. I put things away after the project is done and then start all over. I don't worry about putting things away if people are coming over. They know this is my workspace and if things are out and all over, they know I'm having fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 03:44 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I usually just clean up between projects to avoid too much clutter. I put away all the things that were specifically related to the previous project, such as papers, stamps, etc., and just leave what I know I will use again, mainly tools. My craft room is in the basement, so nobody else goes down there really. Just shut your door and don't worry about it! We spend waaaaaaay too much of our lives worrying about what others will think! Be happy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 04:45 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buried TreasuresView Post

What your seeing is lots of honest answers. As many crafters as there are that are totally tidy there are equal numbers of us that just arent. Love to craft, have aroom, its set up for ease of use but the table looks totally crowded most of the time. I work on projects, change my mind, add, minus then at some stage I have to tidy to find something and the whole process starts again. Crafting is not about having the most beautiful well set up room or table its about enjoying yourself. Let your friends see you as you are, full of crafting ideas. If they dont like the creative look then they shouldnt look.
Enjoy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 05:26 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

My first thought was.....Seriously, only an hour to clean up?! I wish I was that organized.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 06:16 PM   #8  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

For me it's an endless cycle of create & clean. I'm really organized so cleaning doesn't take long but it always needs to be done because I play everyday.

I tried the put it away as you use it and it's just not for me. When I'm the zone I will NOT stop to clean. For the past couple of months I have been cleaning after each project and that helps but it's just like cleaning your house. As soon as you're finished the house starts collecting dust and you just have to do it again.

I'm doing a ton of mixed media and it's a definite mess maker but so much fun. If I were you I'd stop worrying and just have fun and clean when it's done.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to AmberDawn

My space gets messy every time I clean it up. That's how it's supposed to be Just enjoy the process and clean up when you're done. Then get it messy again the next day, that's the fun in it
I design for Verve Stamps and Reverse Confetti!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 09:06 PM   #10  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It's sort of like when I my husband thought I should match the socks before I put them in the drawer. I told him if you are looking for some socks and you find two that match it makes you smile.:p So if you know you have that bottle of stickles and find it under the paper and stamps from the project yesterday well that's just happiness.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 10:21 PM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

I clean up and put away after every card. Cant stand to go to bed with something out of place. A little OCD...perhaps a lot.
Blessings
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #12  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I really do have OCD. This is the one thing I struggled the most with in my creativity world. Keeping things clean but still making a mess. I recently let it go. I have said so many times over here I so admire all of you girls who are messy crafters. Your rooms are my favorites. I love Wednesday when we get to peek at bloggers messy desks.

I think to myself every time I see a messy room "Look at all that creative treasures just waiting to be found." I really think this. I am not talking about girls who are dirty. I saw this one girls room and she had Copics laying inside a dirty diaper. Yes, the diaper was dirty. There were Oreo cookies laying all over the floor. I get she has kids but seriously?

I have a friend whose an artist and his studio is a mess. I love it. I am more creative in his studio than mine.

To help me become a messy crafter who has to live in an orderly world. I did this- I put a basket in my room. Every night I clean up for fifteen minutes. I throw away all the trash first. I put everything away in that basket. If there is time then I put things away that are in the basket.

I know some of you are wondering why don't I just put it away to begin with? I always maintain my tools before putting away- sharpening scissors, refill things, etc... That is why I started the basket thing because it was taking me over an hour to put my room back to normal at night.

If it's not done in fifteen minutes then it will get done the next night after I quit again. Since I started doing this I feel so free and happy in my room.

The only thing I am stringent on is cleaning my paintbrushes or things that will get damaged if they are left out. Those do not go in the basket.

The other added bonus. I am always digging in my basket now for things I used the night before.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 03:46 AM   #13  
Swapper of the Month February 2013

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

My craft room is our second bedroom too....and I'm glad it has a door on it! LOL!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 04:20 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

I just want to chime in and emphasize what's already being said. I've had to keep my studio pristine for months while we showed/sold our house, and there's no mojo killer more effective than being unable to make a mess...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dee Ann - You sharpen your own scissors? How do you do that? I'd like to be able to do it.

Just for the record, I'm another one of those people whose room is very organized but I make a mess of it when I work. I actually love the process of cleaning up my room after I've completed a project. Can't explain it. It's just very satisfying to me, putting it all back in place, more or less. I don't have to have every paper scrap filed, and every surface clear. I'm okay with some stuff left out.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 08-19-2014 at 05:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 05:20 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

When I am making cards it looks like a tornado hit the room. But after each card is done I put everything back and then start on to the next card.

But I am a neat freak! I clean two bathrooms every day and one of them is not even used. I also sweep the floors in the house every day (we have hardwood floors) and mop them everyday. I never leave the house unless my bed is made. Told you I am a neat freak!!LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess I clean as I go. It also helps that nothing is in the closet or tucked away. I un-mounted all of my stamps and they sit all squished, but they ALL fit either on the work table or in the drawers beside the chair. All of my stamping supplies and tools are within my arms' reach. Sometimes I have to stand up to get something or put something away, but I don't have to move away from the chair. It took about a year to cut the crafting space down to this size (took so long 'cause I needed to decide what to give away), but I love it, and it is nearly always neat, and when it isn't, it only takes minutes to put everything away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

I find that the state of my desk is usually a pretty accurate representation of my state of mind. When I get soooo many projects going at once that I can't keep them straight, or can't find a piece or tool I was looking for, then I know it's time to clean.

Almost every time, clearing off my desk helps clear my mind.

Also - as I'm clearing off my desk, paper scraps create a new exciting combination that inspires a new project, or helps finish one I was stuck on.

There's an ebb and flow, and both are fine.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I really do have OCD. This is the one thing I struggled the most with in my creativity world. Keeping things clean but still making a mess. I recently let it go. I have said so many times over here I so admire all of you girls who are messy crafters. Your rooms are my favorites. I love Wednesday when we get to peek at bloggers messy desks.

I think to myself every time I see a messy room "Look at all that creative treasures just waiting to be found." I really think this. I am not talking about girls who are dirty. I saw this one girls room and she had Copics laying inside a dirty diaper. Yes, the diaper was dirty. There were Oreo cookies laying all over the floor. I get she has kids but seriously?

I have a friend whose an artist and his studio is a mess. I love it. I am more creative in his studio than mine.

To help me become a messy crafter who has to live in an orderly world. I did this- I put a basket in my room. Every night I clean up for fifteen minutes. I throw away all the trash first. I put everything away in that basket. If there is time then I put things away that are in the basket.

I know some of you are wondering why don't I just put it away to begin with? I always maintain my tools before putting away- sharpening scissors, refill things, etc... That is why I started the basket thing because it was taking me over an hour to put my room back to normal at night.

If it's not done in fifteen minutes then it will get done the next night after I quit again. Since I started doing this I feel so free and happy in my room.

The only thing I am stringent on is cleaning my paintbrushes or things that will get damaged if they are left out. Those do not go in the basket.

The other added bonus. I am always digging in my basket now for things I used the night before.

Hope that helps.
Thank You!!!!!!

I too have suffered from feeling stifled in a pristine work room but then getting very anxious when things are out of place. I am going to try you suggestion for a cognitive reframe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #20  
Hardware Hotshot

One of the few things I remember from physics during college.....all things tend toward disorder. So, you see we are all fighting the natural order of the universe!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

I try really hard to keep organized. I just have so little space it drives me crazy. I'm going through a reorganization myself right now. I think by the end of the weekend, I'll be in a better place this time.

I have a closet in my studio that I have to empty out. When I get rid of all the old shoes and stuff that I don't wear and have kept for several years, I'll have more room for better organization. it's just time!! lol

I agree with a comment made above that its a good sign to me that I'm being artistic when my desk top is a mess. I just hate it when my other surfaces get messy and my floor. GEEZE I hate the paper bits on the floor. I did get one of those little bissel push things to do a quick pick up. Its the little things right??

I don't even mind leaving things out until the project is complete (minus things that need to be cleaned or they'll be ruined), if I can keep the rest of the area cleaned up.

Good question. I think we all are constantly reviewing our crafting storage and organization. We want the best to keep our ideas flowing!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 03:50 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 1/2 of a 3rd bedroom for crafting. I have way too much stuff for this tiny space. I will never have a neat space, just not going to happen.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 06:10 PM   #23  
Insane Embellisher

Sounds like me. I use to have the whole room, but I have to share it for my sister's office. We are looking for a bigger place, but honestly, I don't see that happening until after the first of the year. Too much to do to prepare for it.

I'm doing my part until then. Getting rid of the junk so I can keep my supplies...lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 06:40 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post

Hope that helps.
Congratulations on finding a system that works for you and makes you happy. Dea
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

What works for me, is to straighten out my area before I finish for the day.Since my work area is a corner in my bedroom, it helps me go to sleep at night, knowing that when I wake up, my area is ready for me to create once again. Somedays, I just don't have the umph to clean it,so I'll put my stuff I'm using in a project box, small clear bin, so I can pick up the next day and go.
This past week I organized all my stamp sets, wheels, deco paper, ink pads and used the Evernote app to see what I have without having to pull everything out! It really is helping out so far.
Find what works for you, accept it and enjoy making your craft! My opioion, I would rather craft with someone who has a mess rather than a sparkly clean area, shows creativity.

Believe in
Yourself!!

www.pinterest.com/samigirl66/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Dee Ann - You sharpen your own scissors? How do you do that? I'd like to be able to do it.
This is what I use to sharpen my scissors after every project- Fiskars Sharpener

It is a must have in your toolbox. Don't buy it at Amazon. I just needed a pic. You can buy one for a couple of dollars at your big box craft store or even WalMart.

I was taught when I was a teenager to sharpen your scissors after every project. I am grateful for that bit of crafting wisdom.

Every three months my DH sharpens my scissors and knives with his professional set.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 05:18 AM   #27  
Cardstock Collector

My craft room is also our Home Office, so when things get cluttered on my desk, I make myself put away three things before I leave every time I go in there. Before you know it I can see a space to be creative in again
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 AM   #28  
Compulsive Stamper

I generally do most of my cleaning and organizing before I begin a new project. I've always thought that was backwards, but it works for me, and I see here that I am not alone in that one... nice!

I do try to straighten items while I work and once I'm done with a project, they just don't usually go back into their allotted home until I'm about to begin something new. I find that while I'm putting the previous project's items away I see other bits that give me ideas for what I'm about to start, or that I forgot I even had.

My craft area is in a big open space near the TV room - so I will also do a lot of organizing and cleaning before having large groups over. If it's just a few folks, well they can see the mess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #29  
Cardstock Collector

I make cards at the dining room table and every time I'm done making cards it's totally cleared up. You could easily sit and have a meal. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, I just can't get creative when there's too much clutter around. I use one of those rolling kitchen carts (minus the top shelf) to store all of the tools & supplies I need every time I make cards. That way when I set things back down they're automatically put away and best of all if I have company and need the end of the table where I usually keep the cart, I can just wheel it into the bedroom.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 11:54 AM   #30  
Glitter Queen

I can really relate to this thread. I have a craft room but moved most everything upstairs so I can be near my daughter. I struggle to keep things organized but am not doing a great job. Especially when it comes to paper bits - slivers from my paper trimmer, die cut leftovers...it is everywhere!

I could fill a large wastebasket with mostly paper (and baby wipes and adhesive liner backings) after each night. We have a weekly garbage pickup and my scraps could fill the entire recycle bin and more. What do you do with all your paper?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #31  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

My studio is somewhat organized, meaning I can usually find what I'm looking for. But the organization in there is not pretty. It's not a contender for a magazine photo shoot! lol

I have separate tables for my mixed media and my cardmaking. That helps me quite a bit in keeping my supplies for each separated and handy.

Anyway, I try to clean up when I am finished for the day. If my tables are messy when I walk into my studio, I tend to get overwhelmed and not be able to create anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-20-2014, 12:51 PM   #32  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liv2createView Post

I could fill a large wastebasket with mostly paper (and baby wipes and adhesive liner backings) after each night. We have a weekly garbage pickup and my scraps could fill the entire recycle bin and more. What do you do with all your paper?
I don't keep my small scraps, but I do generate a lot of trash! At my office we have to print a banner page before each document, so I take home a lot of copy paper that I use underneath my projects. I can just toss them when they get full of ink, paint and glue.

My trash can is a very large plastic bin that most people use to store Christmas decorations. It gets emptied once a week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-21-2014, 10:04 AM   #33  
Crimping Master

DH and I moved to a new house three years ago. In the old house, I used a corner of a bedroom and my space was not organized at all. Stuff was stashed under and around any space there was. When we moved, we designated the third bedroom as the craft room. It has all craft stuff and we turned the closet into a computer desk. When we packed up to move, I was able to organize my stuff and now it makes better sense.

I was also fortunate in that the woman who lived there before us was a seamstress who had a drapery making business. She left one of her worktables behind. I had DH cut a piece of wood to fit the hole where the sewing machine was and it turned into a beautiful large work table for me. It has drawers everywhere and that makes tool & supply storage really easy. The room's not quite where I want (need more and better paper storage) it but it's very workable.
Malachi 3:10 "See if I will not throw open the floodgates of heavenand pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it"

I joined the Fan Club!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
I just want to chime in and emphasize what's already being said. I've had to keep my studio pristine for months while we showed/sold our house, and there's no mojo killer more effective than being unable to make a mess...
Oh, I so agree with you! The cleanest my craft room has EVER been is when we were selling our house. I went to make a card and it all came out again only to have to get everything pristine again for showing. It was stressful and took the joy out of it for me.

I like having a reasonably clean craft room. I mean I want to be able to create in it and not stress.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 254 Likes on 137 Posts

I clean up after each project, not each card. I usually make cards by the month and with a theme. Therefore all the stuff for those, say 15-20 cards stays out until the project is done. I don't create well with mess and clutter, so it is stacked and organized at the end of the stamping day, but is not pristine, by any means.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #36  
Mad Swapper

Received 47 Likes on 21 Posts
Smile

I would fuss at my children about their messy bedrooms, and they would go and point at my craft room and say they came by the habit naturally.

My typical response was "Yeah, but I don't sleep in my craft room".
Kind of pick your battle type thing. I don't stress over it, I just shut the door.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 PM   #37  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathleenhView Post
Oh, I so agree with you! The cleanest my craft room has EVER been is when we were selling our house. I went to make a card and it all came out again only to have to get everything pristine again for showing. It was stressful and took the joy out of it for me.

I like having a reasonably clean craft room. I mean I want to be able to create in it and not stress.
This is how I feel every time as I craft in the dining area and have to clear up after every session.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 295 Likes on 194 Posts

Check this out!!

The Psychology Behind Messy Rooms: Why The Most Creative People Flourish In Clutter

When I was studying music in college, I was taught something about Beethoven. Truth or legend, I love it...
Supposedly, Beethoven was very messy. Crumpled paper, musical rejects, and food (ick) everywhere. Instead of cleaning up, he would move to a new apartment!

I guess you can do that when royalty pays you nice commissions for a symphony or sonata ;-)
Kim in Illinois, Dirty Dozen Alum, QFTD#207, FS798, VSN Moderator
"Famous Last Words" Spring Virtual Stamp Night, April 19 & 20
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2014, 08:56 PM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Do what the great painters did-hire an assistant or train an apprentice for free and they put everything away! LOL

Seriously....While I love the romantic idea that a messy space is a happy working space...I need to come to a clear desk to start out-I was like that at work too. Over the time it takes me to finish a project though...the stuff stays out. For me, personally, it just makes no sense to put something away and take it out again in under 24 hours.

Limited craft time as it is!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by wavejumperView Post
Do what the great painters did-hire an assistant or train an apprentice for free and they put everything away! LOL

Seriously....While I love the romantic idea that a messy space is a happy working space...I need to come to a clear desk to start out-I was like that at work too. Over the time it takes me to finish a project though...the stuff stays out. For me, personally, it just makes no sense to put something away and take it out again in under 24 hours.

Limited craft time as it is!
That is part of the reason I am attempting to reconfigure my craft area to have slots for work that needs to dry or another step.

My goal is in the next couple of months. We shall see as I have a pretty full schedule and a bum knee ATM.
Reply With Quote Likes