Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 04-25-2016, 05:52 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heart Why a decrease in daily uploads on SCS

Over the past several weeks, I begun to recognize a significant decrease in the number of daily uploads into the gallery.

I know things have really changed in the card making world over the last few years, but I've tried to remain optimistic throughout the changes. Recently, I have begun to see a significant decline in the number of daily uploads into the galleries. I am so hoping, perhaps against the odds, that SCS will continue to encourage, share and maintain its posture in the stamping world.

I know this community continues to be encouraging and supportive to stampers, but what's your feeling about what might be behind this significant decrease in uploads?

Do you think the interest is no longer as appealing, do you think stampers tire of making cards and/or uploading? Do you think it might be due to cost. We all know how costly this passion of ours is.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

Hugs
Anne
DO U KNOW?
BRAK members love to send SCSers cards on their birthdays? Come join us.

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there
is no path and leave a trail." ... Ralph Waldo Emerson
Fan Club Member
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2016, 06:22 PM   #2  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will speak for myself. I make as many or more cards as ever, take a picture and post to Pinterest. I find so much more on Pinterest as far as card samples go. And it's so easy to upload there. Some people don't like the organization style of Pinterest but I appreciate many things about it.

What I love being here for are the forums. You can't beat the fantastic people!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2016, 06:32 PM   #3  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

It actually happens every spring. People can finally go outside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2016, 06:35 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

you are right you can't beat the people on here and all the help they are willing to give. So that bring said, by up loading cards on here you return the help with your ideas. Hope you change your mind and remember all here. This is a wonderful place and I hope it never goes away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Forums

I really never look at Galleries. I love the forums and check a lot. They seem pretty active.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #6  
Stampin' Fool

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe people are posting on their blogs instead of here?

I still miss some of the original SCSers who moved exclusively to their own blogs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 04:00 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I rarely check the gallery anymore. I don't upload anymore for a few reasons. One is that it takes too long to fill out all that information. It would be much easier to just list what you used in one place, instead of all the different fields. I, too, prefer Pinterest. I get more views there, and my cards are re-pinned and liked. I do love the forums, though, and the sharing of information.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 04:19 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,125 Likes on 507 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapjannyView Post
I rarely check the gallery anymore. I don't upload anymore for a few reasons. One is that it takes too long to fill out all that information. It would be much easier to just list what you used in one place, instead of all the different fields. I, too, prefer Pinterest. I get more views there, and my cards are re-pinned and liked. I do love the forums, though, and the sharing of information.
You can always list your supplies, etc. in the description section! Sometimes I just grab the copy from my blog and paste it there.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 04:23 AM   #9  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

There's no issue if people prefer to copy and paste details and info from a blog post straight into the main field instead of filling in each separate field; once the basic info is supplied it's all good.

I don't have a Pinterest account and my blog isn't primarily for cards so anything I make gets uploaded here; I just have less time for card-making at this time compared to a couple of years ago :-(.

I think at this stage it's not so much blogs that have affected traffic, it's more Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram...the more social media there are, the less time people have to spend on any given one.

Quote:

Last edited by Cook22; 04-26-2016 at 07:42 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 04:26 AM   #10  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,063 Likes on 818 Posts

Ha, Dina posted exactly the same thing while I was still proof-reading and refining mine :mrgreen:.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 04:28 AM   #11  
Hardware Hotshot

Guilty as charged. I just checked, and I haven't uploaded anything to my gallery here since January. To be honest, I don't get a lot of feedback from anything I post here, and it rarely drives any traffic to my blog, either. I get a lot more exposure from Facebook and Pinterest and company blog hops. The same holds true in reverse for the inspirational side, where I tend to find a lot more on those other forums. I suspect others feel the same way.

I am not a web designer, but I do think that SCS could use a makeover. It feels a little cluttered and chaotic now, with so many splintered factions. Maybe it's time to get streamlined, cleaned up, and simplified. I hope that SCS can Konmarie their proverbial closets one day. Just my two cents, for what it's worth.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 07:28 AM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

It is simple enough to post from here to Pinterest and with copy and paste from one's blog to here or vice versa. I guess my motivation has been to give back to a community that has been such a blessing to me and a source of information and encouragement. As for traffic and views, participating in challenges is the best way to get more visibility.
Personally, I have been MIA for a while during a season of grief as well as a shift in priorities towards things that had had to get less attention during the last year of mom's cancer journey.
Screen time with social media and games is a factor that sucks up lots of time without our realizing it if we're not careful too. I've had so much more of a battle with that myself since we got better phones a few months ago.
I appreciate the community here and have missed the interaction so I'm looking forward to the end of next month when our home school year will be done!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 08:33 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

During the winter, I'm inside and have time to play in my craft room. Come spring, there's too much yard work and by the time I'm inside, I'm too tired to play :( There's also that marvelous fun in the sun thing too ;) I'm doing good if I get one card made and uploaded a week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 11:03 AM   #14  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

Not that I am anyone to talk as I dont have a gallery at all...

But I would like to point out a happy thing-the total numbers may down, but I am seeing new faces in the gallery which I think is terrific. And nice talent too! So I would ask that people comment on them and support them Just my PSA for the day.

As noted, if people dont get comments they get discouraged and go elsewhere. I find it hard sometimes to tweeze out the regular people from the DTs,etc-which is NOT me saying dont have them at all, but just why I may miss some (plus limited time). Also that level of talent might be scaring off regular people? Just wondering. It isnt a competition but people may still feel outclassed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 03:12 PM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Maybe others have been hindered by a computer, as I have. I downloaded Picasa after being told it was free, simple and easy way to edit photos. It messed up my photo archives from the beginning. I was able to download some card photos and post to SCS.
The next time I tried to empty my phone-camera into Picasa it would do nothing. I get very frustrated with computers, as it's not intuitive for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 04:59 PM   #16  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I haven't blogged in months, so I wouldn't be able to copy & paste into the description in the Gallery. Pinterest is a lot quicker. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't share other things on Splitcoast. I share a lot. I just don't use the Gallery much. I think that everyone has her/his own way of contributing and participating in the community. I appreciate everything our members share.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-26-2016, 06:07 PM   #17  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

I haven't blogged in months, so I wouldn't be able to copy & paste into the description in the Gallery. Pinterest is a lot quicker. Now, that doesn't mean that I don't share other things on Splitcoast. I share a lot. I just don't use the Gallery much. I think that everyone has her/his own way of contributing and participating in the community. I appreciate everything our members share.
I totally agree that contributing is more than just uploading cards.

And tons of people don't blog.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #18  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anne RyanView Post

Do you think the interest is no longer as appealing, do you think stampers tire of making cards and/or uploading?

Hugs
Anne
I don't draw any correlation between the number of uploads and what that says/doesn't say about the interest/appeal of paper crafting, stamping, card making and uploading. IMO the two are not related.

Currently what I'm hearing - and seeing for myself - is a big resurgence of an interest in stamping (be still my heart!!). And with the popularity and introduction of mixed media and all of its related products and creative applications to the paper crafting/card making/stamping community, I think interest is at one of the highest levels that I have seen in many years and I find this thrilling.

I am an active participant in SCS card and other swaps for a number of years now, and I have not uploaded any of my creations for some time and I am always creating something and having so much fun. My reduction/lack of uploads is not indicative of any lack/loss of interest in card making and paper crafting.

Last edited by QueenOfInkland; 04-27-2016 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2016, 01:20 PM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I usually browse the challenge galleries, rarely upload now and not sure why! I am on SCS daily and Pinterest daily as well. My Pinterest gallery of cards is much larger than the SC gallery of faves, however, it also seems I am seeing the same thing over and over on Pinterest
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #20  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

There are many Facebook groups that may have taken the place of the SCS gallery. That may be one of the reasons.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #21  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Teapot Tuesday TEAm
Vintage Lover

Received 367 Likes on 269 Posts

For me personally, I've been a bit more selective in the challenges that I do. I have tons of "stash" cards which I don't necessarily need to add to. So I check out the challenge and see if I need a specific card to send to someone or if I really get hooked by the challenge.. I also joined a gym last fall so that has been taking more time. I may load more when the school year ends and my volunteer gig is up for a few months. :p And I agree with Lydia that folks are enjoying the weather after being cooped up for several months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2016, 06:41 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm one who typically uploads several times a week and often does the challenges here, but have been in a bit of a stamping slump for the last several months; that happens to most of us periodically, I think. That said, Splitcoast has been my creative home for so many years and I have learned most of what I know about stamping (and all that goes with it) here on this wonderful site where people are so congenial, kind and generous! It's important to me to share here with the people I've come to know, as well as people who are newer to this craft, as I was once upon a time!
I've never gotten too involved on Pinterest. I follow a few companies I like on FB and read certain blogs, but for me, this site is home. I actually made and uploaded some cards today : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2016, 08:02 PM   #23  

Received 299 Likes on 213 Posts

I use Pinterest, FB and have a blog but when I have had to take a time out from stamping it's not Pinterest, FB or even my blog that feels like home when I post, it's uploading here at SCS that feels like home. I enjoy viewing the cards in challenge galleries where I have played and seeing how others interpret the challenge. I so enjoy reading the card descriptions, reading what tricks and tips were employed, what frustrated or excited and then leaving comments and receiving them! After awhile we get to know one another and it adds to the overall fun of creating and sharing!

I hope if you haven't uploaded in awhile you would think about playing a challenge and check it out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #24  

Claudia, I saw your cards and loved them! I am so glad you were able to play along and upload!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #25  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My thought is.....because there are so many different stamp companies / design teams nowadays, who each have their own fan pages on facebook, people are more likely to share on those pages. But that probably has been the case for several years now.

I've been bad at uploading here too, but really want to start again, and happy I have already posted two cards in the last 7 days.

I like the idea someone had about maybe giving SCS a new look, but I also like how easy SCS is now to use and navigate the forums. Maybe change the gallery format? Would be nice to have larger photos on the home page and maybe add the "heart" /favorite button onto the home page of the gallery pictures, so you don't have to actually click each one to "like" and then you have to click "back" again, etc. to continue viewing the gallery.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #26  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh, and another thought I just had when I realized today was Sunday and my card won't be approved today. (I used to be a fanclub member but I am not currently).

The waiting on approval for cards might be another reason why some choose not to post here. I think when people upload to a gallery they want it to be seen right away. I wonder if instead of the approval, SCS could introduce a "turn in" button, if anyone sees inappropriate content they could click it to turn that card in?
I know instant uploads are a fan club perk, but maybe another one could be introduced in place of that one?? I have no idea...just thinking out loud
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-01-2016, 09:45 AM   #27  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 219 Likes on 134 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohmypaper!View Post
Claudia, I saw your cards and loved them! I am so glad you were able to play along and upload!
Angie, thanks so much! It felt great to get back into the groove a bit yesterday : )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2016, 03:23 AM   #28  

Quote:

Originally Posted by EllibelleView Post
I've been bad at uploading here too, but really want to start again, and happy I have already posted two cards in the last 7 days.
I just checked out your cards. They are beautiful!! Love the bright cheerful colors. I left you some love!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2016, 12:01 PM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Y'all made me feel guilty, so I uploaded a few today!

I need to get much better about perusing the gallery and leaving some love.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #30  

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I just uploaded 2 from my phone! My problem is I'm tech challenged and having trouble getting upload from cloud to computer. I'll keep trying. My camera isn't working well, so my phone has become my primary camera
My Facebook Page
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2016, 12:56 PM   #31  

Quote:

Originally Posted by maryroseView Post
Y'all made me feel guilty, so I uploaded a few today!

I need to get much better about perusing the gallery and leaving some love.
Awww! No feeling guilty! Just encouragement!!! Your cards and Bible journal page are beautiful!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2016, 12:58 PM   #32  

Quote:

Originally Posted by diane617View Post
I just uploaded 2 from my phone! My problem is I'm tech challenged and having trouble getting upload from cloud to computer. I'll keep trying. My camera isn't working well, so my phone has become my primary camera
I do understand the tech thing. I have struggled with getting things from my ipad. I just don't quite understand the how to's, I know it can be done because I know ladies that do it but I struggle if I am not loading from my computer.

I am off to check out your uploads!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Frankly, I think there are less uploads because there are less people stamping, at least in 'my world'. When I started stamping in 2000 there were 5 or 6 of us who would get together to stamp every few weeks. Of those, only 1 still stamps but mainly does mixed media. (I like mixed media too.) Add on top of that Facebook, Blogs, etc as others have mentioned and yes, there would be a decrease.

A group I'm in that used to do twice yearly retreats now is lucky to have one every few years, and less people attending. But if I go to a stencil and acrylic paint class, it is packed!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 4,286 Likes on 1,368 Posts

I love Splitcoast! I have had an account for a long time now but only started to post cards in March of this year. The reason I didn't post before was that I wasn't creating new cards, I was copying (mostly) someone's card idea in the gallery and didn't feel that I should post those. In March, I decided I wanted to stretch my skills and I started doing the MojoMonday challenge. I don't blog so I started posting my cards here. I have found Splitcoast to be very encouraging and supportive and I am so happy that I decided to stretch. You are all so lovely - and such talented card makers. Sometimes I'm a bit intimidated to post a card because I'm my own worst critic but the comments and support you have given have been outstanding for this "words of encouragement" person. I also try to leave some love for all you talented people though I find that my vocabulary needs expansion because you all amaze me with your talent! Thank you for being such a wonderful community! (By the way, since I've been participating in challenges and posting on Splitcoast I find I'm on FB and other social media less!) =)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2016, 05:05 AM   #35  
Pearl-ExPert

I think there'd be more usage if there was an app for mobile devices for uploading to and viewing the galleries and for viewing the forums as well, much like 2Peas used to have before they folded. I find it cumbersome to look on Splitcoast from my phone when I'm away from my home computer whereas Pinterest and Facebook are very easy to use an maneuver from mobile devices.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2016, 05:50 AM   #36  
SCS Community Manager Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1,552 Likes on 668 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to UnderstandBlue

Quote:

Originally Posted by lharnishView Post
I think there'd be more usage if there was an app for mobile devices for uploading to and viewing the galleries and for viewing the forums as well, much like 2Peas used to have before they folded. I find it cumbersome to look on Splitcoast from my phone when I'm away from my home computer whereas Pinterest and Facebook are very easy to use an maneuver from mobile devices.
We do have a mobile uploader - and it's easier because you don't need an app. I know you haven't uploaded in a few years so you should check it out

It used to really be a pain to use mobile but the new mobile forums and uploader are nice.

PMs used to drive me crazy - I actually like them way better on mobile than desktop now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2016, 12:53 PM   #37  
Proud Fan Club Member

My only request for the gallery would be files for my favorites. I am finding it time consuming to save some for me, and some for posting to weekly favs and having to jump around in my favs to separate to post to weekly favs. Therefore I am not doing weekly favs like I used to. I also save some specfically b/c I want to buy something that was used so that would be another file for me.

I know that isnt about posting to the gallery directly but is gallery related and I figure if I keep begging maybe it will happen someday I am going to connect it by saying since it's such a nice boost to be a weekly fav, it would promote people to load more to the gallery!

Slinking away now before Lydia beats me with a wooden spoon....one man's begging is another's nagging....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2016, 04:34 PM   #38  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,125 Likes on 507 Posts

Wavejumper, what about pinterest boards?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2016, 05:40 PM   #39  
Proud Fan Club Member

Dini-Are you suggesting that I pin the cards I like here in the gallery? And then folder them? Then just have the weekly favs in my favs here?

Um...I dont know Pinterest well. Can I do that? Tech and me have a mutual hate relationship.....

I admit I surf the net a lot to shop but I dont belong to any groups other than here and a chat group...I dont do social media at all.

Would it be ok for me to pin people's cards from the gallery there? I know the challenges often go to pinterest for inspiration, but I dont know if people here would be ok with my doing that with their cards? They feel safe here...would they be ok with my doing that?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2016, 06:09 PM   #40  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 32 Likes on 12 Posts

Wavejumper, There are people Pinning cards from SCS all the time. You'll often see a Pinned and Faved comment on a card. Personally, I'm flattered if I see one of mine floating around. I use Pinterest to save cards I plan to CASE and techniques I want to try.
Reply With Quote Likes