Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-13-2015, 06:39 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Who's fickle?!

I started thinking about all of the YouTube crafters who are constantly presenting brand-new product releases, and got to thinking: how many older/classic things do we actually use in our stash? Or do we usually reach for our newest items?

When I see these YouTube crafters label an envelope with a brand-new release and store it away, I wonder if they ever use it again! I know that they're in the business of presenting what is new, but it seems to me that all of these sets get their minute in the sun and then get abandoned almost immediately.

I have a relatively tiny stash and most of my items are in the "useful for many purposes" category so I use much of my stash often, with an emphasis on the newer stuff because it's foremost in my mind and I have techniques I want to try with them. I subscribed to the USEIT2015 thread but realized I use most everything I have anyway
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

I know it's easy for me to get wrapped up in "new new!" I have a bunch of older stuff that I love that hasn't been used in a while. But I love it! The new stuff is more appealing...mentally! Besides...it's new. I "need" to use it. I have too much "never before used schtuff"!

I have had to stop myself and think...whether I have something older I can use that is similar to something I see "new". Usually I have something if I go look.

I'm with you on those who design for companies...I wonder if they ever use the older stuff. I don't see how they can have the time! New stuff every month...and I never see the old stuff again.
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2015, 09:13 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 292 Likes on 115 Posts

I seem to use both new and old equally, when I have time to use anything, lol! There's kind of a pull to test-run new things, and I understand that. I find that I reach for older papers as often as new. I also have older embossing folders and punches that I reach for quite often - ditto on the dies. Stamps are sort of as-needed, regardless of age. That being said, I don't use ANY of it often enough to justify having so much (doesn't stop me from acquiring more, though, lol)...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2015, 10:10 PM   #4  
Mad Swapper

I have also been thinking about some of the design trends that have come and gone like the brushstroke look, which you see on some of the older SU stamps, and doodle style, and what I call the "circus" font that was so prevalent a few years ago. I'm betting those "chalkboard" fonts are about to bite the dust, too. So we invest in these stamps and then what?! Some look terribly out of date…
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-13-2015, 11:30 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The people that are working for companies .. well that's their job to be showing off the new stuff and there's probably not enough hours in the day for them to use any older stuff but when the average crafter is spruiking continuously about the stuff they have it can be a little sad. There was a woman on youtube that had a video of all the stuff she had and wondering why she had 'this' when she already had 'that' over and over. She was hilarious! But there was so much stuff just going to waste.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 03:59 AM   #6  
Kookie Creator

Recipients of cards will usually have no notion of what is in and what is 'tired looking' to us. They just think it looks nice

Last edited by BathBelle; 06-14-2015 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 04:15 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have never been a follow the trend kind of person, I like something because I like it. The is it in style question simply never enters my mind. Some of my older stamps are more like dear friends and I love to use them, it makes me happy to do so.

I'm on a very tight budget so I can't run out and buy the newest and "greatest" all the time, I consider purchases very carefully. It has forced me to not impulse buy and truly consider the products long term value. There have been times when I was very glad of it too. So many times I've seen a product and thought "oh I want that" but as time went on people were not happy with or impressed with, etc said product. Then I have whew I'm glad I couldn't afford it moment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 05:56 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,129 Likes on 508 Posts

I've always wondered the same about companies with monthly releases - especially when there is so much product released at once, and each month's release is something bigger and better. Even with quarterly releases there's a limited time to really get satisfying use out of new stamps.

Do you think any company has ever said, "No more releases - this is our line and it's enough." . . . ?

Then for those who review or compare new products or coloring mediums... to have enough product to do a good comparison, you'll certainly end up with brands or products that don't meet your expectations or standards, and what do you do with those?
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 06:12 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to keep my never-before-used stamps on my desk until I have used them and then they go into my rotation. I am buying far less than I did a few years ago and try to use what I have.

One thing that I do to make sure I do that is that every stamp set or new tool that comes into my craft room gets written onto a slip of paper. Then when I sit down to make a card that I don't have a specific need for, I pull one slip out of the stamp set envelope and one slip from the tool envelope and make myself use both of those items on the card. That way I make sure that I'm using what I have. Bonus is that if I am disappointed when I draw a certain stamp set, it makes me realize that I don't really love that one and it makes it easier to donate it to someone who will love it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 06:20 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by diniView Post
I've always wondered the same about companies with monthly releases - especially when there is so much product released at once, and each month's release is something bigger and better. Even with quarterly releases there's a limited time to really get satisfying use out of new stamps.

Do you think any company has ever said, "No more releases - this is our line and it's enough." . . . ?

Then for those who review or compare new products or coloring mediums... to have enough product to do a good comparison, you'll certainly end up with brands or products that don't meet your expectations or standards, and what do you do with those?
As I was reading your post, it triggered memories of other conversations here on Splitcoast. The thing that I found interesting was that there were two separate threads with opposite issues: one was criticizing companies that only put out new stuff yearly (or close to yearly, with a few seasonal things thrown in) like Close to My Heart or Stampin'Up!, for being a bit behind the trends and not putting out new stuff more frequently; the other thread was bemoaning the fact that there was SO MUCH new stuff being released so often by other companies like Papertrey that it was impossible to keep up! We crafters just have to have something to gripe about, apparently, lol...

The other thing that came to mind is that - even if we don't do comparisons for a living - we make purchases to try out new things and love some more than others. The ones that I've found disappointing I've sent out into the "flow" - donated somewhere or other. "One man's trash..." and all of that.

In the end, no matter our personal take on too much/not enough, too frequent/too infrequent, it comes down to our personal style, budget, taste, etc. Also, just as in fashion, trends tend to cycle around at least a little. "Dated" items given a new spin (different colors, mixed with other things, new techniques) look fresh and new again.

A perfect example would be stencils. With the advent of embossing folders and dies, the light box and stencils got shoved aside. Now everyone is using them to airbrush, use texture mediums, etc.

Whatever blows your hair back/floats your boat/makes you happy, say I!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 514 Likes on 230 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post

"Dated" items given a new spin (different colors, mixed with other things, new techniques) look fresh and new again.
Yes! I love to do that! It makes me happy that I can still use the older things that I love.

Then again, some of the older stuff, well...I see almost identical things come back from time to time. I have a lot of stamps that look like some that I've had for years!

Just think about all those clothes we wore when younger...that are what girls wear in another generation. I could be right in style...well...if it fit!! ;)HA!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 04:47 PM   #12  

Received 1,392 Likes on 522 Posts

I actually love less frequent new releases. I was happy with Stampin' Up!'s annual catalog and minis a couple times a year. I got SO excited.....I mean, INSANELY excited....when each catalog came out! And there was so much time to thoroughly enjoy my purchases.

I get overwhelmed with too many choices and too much newness, so I do not follow monthly releases and trends. It is strictly about what I like and I stick to SU!

It is so fun to use all my stuff and every now and then I will uncover some goodie that had been buried in the bottom of my basket or stuffed into a storage envelope, etc. I just love that feeling!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 05:01 PM   #13  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 732 Likes on 354 Posts

There is a Dr Suess book called The Sneeches.

Nutshell-a charlatan sells them stars on their bellies to be different and "new" and then to take them back off once everyone had one.

Like many Suess stories, that sticks with me to this day. I see it as a cautionary tale about jumping into the "new thing" too quickly. (I think his real message was about trying to be an elitist) Which is why I look at new fashion and everything with a Hmmm kind of eye.

I just was at my LSS's mega blowout 1 dollar sale today. First one in 5 years so there was a LOT of stuff! She was clearing out from storage. I got old images b/c I liked them. I got Dreamweaver metal stencils and embossing paste for a buck because I like to do that and at that price-much cheaper than new plastic stencils. There was a bunch of the grunge look stuff that is so popular now for journaling there, and other newer product, but I dont care for that.

I usually only like 1 thing in a new release, if that, so I dont do blog hops b/c I dont want the release! Same way I never wanted to buy music albums b/c I only liked 1 song on it. And then I still have to know what I am going to do with it.

Since I always buy on deep discount, what I get is usually last season/discontinued dated stuff. As I dont have a lot of stamp time-you guys are always 10-15 generations of techniques ahead of me. Dont care. As was said, recipients have no idea what's "in". And if it was pretty 5-10 years ago, it probably still is imo. And then I will always have "new" to me fun stuff to do.

My suggestion is to watch the demos for the techniques and go use what you have to do it. I can practically guarantee you have something that will work. So what if your dog/flower/kid isnt the exact same as that one? It is a demo's job to make you want to buy just like the person giving out ham samples at the supermarket. I feel that way about the gallery here! I sometimes want a stamp just b/c the SCS person made such a pretty card with it! I actually think a lot of the cards I see here should be in the mfg galleries.

Demos give away the stuff all the time as blog candy. Otherwise they would have to live in warehouses lol.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 06:02 PM   #14  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
Then again, some of the older stuff, well...I see almost identical things come back from time to time. I have a lot of stamps that look like some that I've had for years!
Those new Julie Ebersole stamp/die releases for Ellen Hutson remind me of something that I used to see in the late 90s? Or maybe around 20 years ago — guess that makes it hip and vintage now LOL
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 06:11 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

I love watching YouTube vids on new techniques, and for the last 2 years I wrote down every product they used and bought it - when I had more money then talent. I have stuff I have never used.

Now I've learned that I probably have something in my stash that will do the same thing as what I am watching - trends do circle back and most products are a re-marketing of what we had 5-7 yrs ago.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 06:19 PM   #16  
Crimping Master

I am pretty good at making sure I either use my stuff or get rid of it. At least, I have been in the past. I need to get at it again. I definitely don't mind using older stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I really love watching crafty YouTube videos. I think what is really funny is watching the unboxing and shopping hauls and then a few months later,they are making destash videos of the same stuff they were so excited about a few months ago. From what I am hearing,you really have to have a lot of subscribers to make any kind of real money monetizing your videos so unless they are getting the stuff for free,they are really losing money by destashing. A lot of them pay the shipping too. But I do think that part of the draw for me is getting that new thing that excites me and keeps me going with this hobby.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2015, 05:18 AM   #18  
Kookie Creator

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppydarlingView Post
I have also been thinking about some of the design trends that have come and gone like the brushstroke look, which you see on some of the older SU stamps, and doodle style, and what I call the "circus" font that was so prevalent a few years ago. I'm betting those "chalkboard" fonts are about to bite the dust, too. So we invest in these stamps and then what?! Some look terribly out of date�
Things only look out of date to other stampers. If you are sending cards to non card makers, they are thrilled with the hand made and have no idea what year the stamp or trchnique is. I found using what I like and what I hope the recipant will like is more important than feeding some of the pyramid companies. But then I love designing and not copying. I rarely make a card using everything from one set or even one company. Try mixing your stuff up. It is so much fun.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2015, 05:53 AM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

When I see a product I am tempted to buy, USUALLY I pin the description on my "To Buy?" board on Pinterest. Then when the company has a sale, I check to see if I really want it. If not, remove it from the board. btw, the USUALLY is because sometimes I buy it right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-17-2015, 06:49 AM   #20  

Received 42 Likes on 16 Posts

I love new stuff. For today, I have the money, space and some time to use stuff. So I get it and use it. But I also rely on o,d favorites too.

I think fonts get old for sure. I love shabby chic and I don't care that that is not in right now. I don't love the new stapled, clean, die cut layered look. I love mixed media and collage.... To me that is an evolution from altered books. I,love new techniques and mediums, just for the technicality of it. I've made so many handmade book bases and background pages, that have yet to be completed.

I guess I like a mix. My favorite thing is community. When I was a more active Su demo, I loved connecting with others about product - and that usually meant new. I love the challenges here, and swaps. Anything goes. I love going to my LSS for the social aspect.

And I love love love colors. They get me every time. I love to play with new mediums, and I,love the spectrum of colors.

Smitten with this hobby, for sure, as we all are. And the beauty is that we all do it our own way, together.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2015, 08:29 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

A lot of my new stamps are bought used. There was an annual stamp yard sale recently and I picked up TONS of beautiful old stamps!! I'm having a blast using them!! I also have NO IDEA what is "in" or "trendy" right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2015, 10:11 AM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

That is wonderful Sophie! I'm so glad you were able to find some great bargains. I don't worry about what is "in" style or "out". I just create what I feel like making. I also agree with Ruth about the recipients aren't going to know what is out of style. They will just be happy to receive a wonderful handmade item.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2015, 11:15 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 181 Likes on 83 Posts

Sophie, I've seen your gallery, and I can tell you ANYONE would be thrilled to get one of your cards. They're all gorgeous. Cute, whimsical, unique ... The enjoyment you get making them shows through.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2015, 03:25 PM   #24  
Stazon Splitcoast

FYI: I like to look at Sophie's gallery because I have a lot of the well-loved stamps that she uses, and she gives me some great inspiration... ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-19-2015, 08:25 PM   #25  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow, thanks Pam and Sue!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2015, 07:42 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Received 370 Likes on 220 Posts

I think about these things a lot, and I'm really enjoying this thread.

What happens to me is that I jump on the band wagon at the end of the ride. By the time I'm ready to buy something "trendy," it's hard to find. If I do find it, it's usually "rare" and expensive, or it's used (which works fine for me, because it's often much less money).

Take, for example, my newest stamp addiction, Outlines background stamps. I've been looking high and low for them, and the prices online are outrageous - when I can find the stamps at all. Recently, I went to a scrapbook store that is closing, and I found 3 stamps that I had been looking for that were only $1 and $3 each used. Score for me!

Although I'm not usually a trend follower, I am typing this as my son is bringing up the mail. My new Zig Clean Color markers have just arrived from Japan - 2 weeks before they were due to arrive! Off to play!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2015, 09:28 AM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Ooh, I just got my markers yesterday & they were a month early. Can't wait to play with them & my Bisters.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2015, 09:13 AM   #28  
Hardware Hotshot

I'm NOT fickle! I'm about 90% SU!

Mainly because....

1. I get overwhelmed with too many choices

2. I like being part of the SU gang...I go to a few different demo's classes and have for nine yrs. it's like being in brownies when I was in grade school. Part of a group. I'm also a demo again. Mainly a hobby demo holding a few classes.

3. I like to spread my $$$$ around on lots of things-shoes, jewelry, clothes, outings with friends, etc.

4. I have plenty!

I love using my vintage supplies! Yesterday I made this card with a SU wedding cake stamp that is used for almost every wedding card I make! It's probably 9 yrs. old. That dsp? It's at least five yrs. old. Probably older.

It turned out her wedding was an outdoor vintage shabby chic theme on a 100 year old farm belonging to the groom's parents in a beautiful , wooded, valley. Just breathtakingly gorgeous!

I'm practical. I'm also a lover of true vintage from the 40's and 50's, so of course I love my vintage SU supplies!

Sure I buy new stuff. Who doesn't like a few ( or more) new things each year! It's very simple...I made it the morning of the wedding, but I really liked it. It turned out these were her colors!
Attached Thumbnails
Who's fickle?!-image.jpg  

Last edited by Allistamps123; 06-21-2015 at 09:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

Sorry to high-Jack but I have to share this photo from the wedding. This was set up by the porta potty. It had hand gel, sunscreen, and lotion/ body spray called Wild about you, and deodorant in an old blue/white enamel pan! The entire yard was set up like this!

Sorry about the poor quality picture!
Attached Thumbnails
Who's fickle?!-image.jpg  

Last edited by Allistamps123; 06-21-2015 at 09:29 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #30  
Hardware Hotshot

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allistamps123View Post
Sorry to high-Jack but I have to share this photo from the wedding. This was set up by the porta potty. It had hand gel, sunscreen, and lotion/ body spray called Wild about you, and deodorant in an old blue/white enamel pan! The entire yard was set up like this!

Sorry about the poor quality picture!
Now back to our scheduled programming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I have my very first stamp set that I bought in 1996, and I still use it. Some of my more recent stuff hasn't touched ink. While trends change, I, like most of you, don't worry about that too much. What I've noticed, though, is that I have changed. I used to like thick bold stamped images, and now I much prefer the more delicate looking ones.

Live each day with kindness, happiness, and a smile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2015, 10:10 PM   #32  
Glitter Guru

Received 865 Likes on 516 Posts
Smile

I'm not fickle. A couple of times I got rid of things I thought I'd never get around to using, only to realize that I did want to use them, and ended up rebuying them. (example Scrapboss) I also don't always like the newest trends. I remember when moustaches and mouthless stamps came out, and I never did care much for those. I like the cutesy stuff a lot, which isn't always very poplular either. I do more dreaming than creating, so my buying has slowed down anyway. I don't want to feel like I don't appreciate what I have by always wanting the new stuff. Actually, I like finding a great deal at a yard sale or thrift store (which isn't often, because I don't go to them often) on something that isn't trending. If I like a stamp or product, it doesn't matter to me if it's not a current style. I just know what I like!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-25-2015, 07:16 AM   #33  
Inking Addict

Love the save the paint chip campaign...I'm a reformed paint chipper myself! LOL
Reply With Quote Likes