Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 06-20-2006, 07:03 AM   #1  
Gallery Gazer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When member doesn't give details on Cards Uploaded in the Gallery...

I don't know why but I get disappointed when I'm viewing the entries in the gallery, see a great card I want to view closer and find that the poster has not given any details about their creation. I then feel like I don't want to take the time to comment on it if they didn't take the time to give info. I love to read the little commentary and see what sets, embellishments, colors names, etc. Is it just me? -- So my question to the community is..what do you think when you see that there are no details on an uploaded card in the gallery?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:09 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to admit that I am less inclined to post a comment if there are no details... :(

My pitifully neglected gallery

StampingReckLesley (my pitifully neglected blog)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:11 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

I guess me, personally...I am not terribly good at describing what I did to make a card look like it does. THat...and I don't use alot of SU! stuff...just stuff I get from my local craft store...so I don't mark it down alot.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:15 AM   #4  
Gallery Gazer

I find myself not commenting if someone hasn't posted what they used and did also.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:16 AM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

When I upload a card, I always try and put the stamps set and colors. I don't go into how I made the card or why. I think sharing your creations is wonderful, but since alot of computers and scanners don't do justice to colors, and little info would be nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:17 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

yeah, it is even harder as a moderator, to put it where it belongs when i cant remember the name of the set, and theydidnt help me out..

* i like descriptives on cards* LOL

Photographer serving the SE Houston area
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:19 AM   #7  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faereygirl
I guess me, personally...I am not terribly good at describing what I did to make a card look like it does. THat...and I don't use alot of SU! stuff...just stuff I get from my local craft store...so I don't mark it down alot.
Even more reason to list supplies...I like to see what people are getting elsewhere to augment their SU stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:19 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

I wouldn't say it keeps me from commenting, but it does annoy? me a little. Not sure if that's the right word, but I do think if you want comments, you should take the time to give a little extra info. Most of the time, I can pretty much figure a card out just by looking at it, but I always like to verify the ink/paper colors and if there are any small details - backgrounds stamps, glitter, etc. that don't always show up online.

My gallery
My blog!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:20 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I like to give lots of detail about my designs because feel that this site is all about learning to be a better stamper. If no one had ever shared with me, I would not have been able to develop my style, because I would still be trying to figure so many techniques out!

That said, there are people I know, who truly don't have enough time to write a commentary about each card. It is an acheivement for them just to get some uploads done between all the other responsibilities in their life! ;)

I often create pretty elaborate designs with lots of products and writing a full description/instructions can take upwards of an hour by the time I go back and figure out everything I used!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:23 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Drives me crazy. I want to know what they've used! Especially if it's non-SU! patterned paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:29 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I definitely agree - I like to see the information. Sometimes there is a technique or something I would really like to know the name of the technique and colors, etc. It doesnt keep me from commenting but for my own interest it is frustrating at times not to be able to get more info.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:34 AM   #12  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy501
I don't know why but I get disappointed when I'm viewing the entries in the gallery, see a great card I want to view closer and find that the poster has not given any details about their creation. I then feel like I don't want to take the time to comment on it if they didn't take the time to give info. I love to read the little commentary and see what sets, embellishments, colors names, etc. Is it just me? -- So my question to the community is..what do you think when you see that there are no details on an uploaded card in the gallery?

OMG!! I totally came to the forum to write a complaint about the same exact thing!!! I just viewed 2 cards in today's additions and there was nothing written about the card at all!!! Yes, it does irritate me BIG TIME!! :mad: I don't feel the need to comment on those cards simply because I feel if the person didn't write any info on it, they probably are not going to read the comments anyway! I've been stamping for less then 6 months and getting all the information I can possibly get about a card that catches my eye is so very helpful.

I feel so relieved that I am not the only one that feels this way!! I feel that if you have taken the time to upload something you want to share with the rest of us, why not share those few small details too??? Many like myself have inquiring minds and love to soak up as much info. as possible!! :-D

~Debz~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:34 AM   #13  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

When I can't find all the info I want about their card, I PM them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:40 AM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Another reason that I prefer people to at least list their supplies is that I can then find them when I search. If I'm looking for inspiration for a stamp other than the main image (let's say the linen BG), I would search on "linen", since it likely won't be in the linen gallery. Without the poster filing that in, it is unlikely I'd ever find it...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:42 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Debz1024
OMG!! I totally came to the forum to write a complaint about the same exact thing!!! I just viewed 2 cards in today's additions and there was nothing written about the card at all!!! Yes, it does irritate me BIG TIME!! :mad: I don't feel the need to comment on those cards simply because I feel if the person didn't write any info on it, they probably are not going to read the comments anyway! I've been stamping for less then 6 months and getting all the information I can possibly get about a card that catches my eye is so very helpful.
I feel so relieved that I am not the only one that feels this way!! I feel that if you have taken the time to upload something you want to share with the rest of us, why not share those few small details too??? Many like myself have inquiring minds and love to soak up as much info. as possible!! :-D
~Debz~
Debz, we probably saw the same cards. I really like to see what people have to say about their cards not just the details. I like all the little comments people make about what inspired them, etc. I'm so nosy...My mom used to call me Nosy Rosy when I was growing up because I always needed to know details. It's a character flaw, I guess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:44 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

I almost never write info about my paper because I never remember which color it was- I don't know the difference between orchid opulence and lovely lilac by sight.

I do always try to tell which stamp set I use.

So basically- no it doesn't bother me when people don't write information, because sometimes it's not really easy to know what you used and it would take a ton of time to match all the color up and figure out which thing is which.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:54 AM   #17  
Mad Swapper

I don't post alot of cards but the last batch I uploaded, I didn't put alot of info because they were done months and months ago and I just didn't remember.

Most of the time I don't find it annoying, unless I want to know specifics on a particular card
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 07:54 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

That's kinda what I meant...I don't know what color my papers are because since I am a beginner of sorts, I usually just use the variety packs from Michaels craft store. I usually do put down what brand of eyelets or brads I use though...and of course ink and stamps. ;)
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 08:04 AM   #19  
Watercolor Wizard

If I have two different views of the same card, I usually only put the info on one of them (usually the front view image)...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 08:06 AM   #20  
LSN
Glitter Guru

I know that I always try to include the details when I upload my cards (just because I have learned so much from this site, I want to share what little I can). I want to say that I am of the same thinking of Mona Lisa. There are some ladies that have time to make the cards and perhaps uploading them is all they can afford to do timewise.

There is one card maker here that I absolutely love (and many others have listed her as one of their favorites as well). She is very talented and uploads cards on a fairly regular basis. Lately she has not been including a lot of details in her uploads. She also has a daughter with some health issues. I like to think that this stamper is making cards as her 'therapy' so to speak and most likely barely has time to do that. I'm just grateful that she took the time to post/upload her card. If I really want to make the card and have no idea what they did, I'm not proud...I'll PM them to ask. I've always had good luck.

Just my .02!

Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 08:10 AM   #21  
Forum Fanatic

Received 164 Likes on 141 Posts

I really like to see the info about a card since I'm also a relatively new stamper and always looking to learn something new. It's also very helpful when someone describes a technique they used but I do understand that in this busy world we live in that's not always possible and does take more time. But I love seeing everyone's creations!

Kathi
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 08:14 AM   #22  
Total Quack

I don't comment on many cards without info. It's frustrating to me to find a cool card and not be able to find out what was used.

That's one big reason I don't have many cards in my gallery. I'm not going to put it in there without the info and sometimes, I just don't have a lot of time to do that. I know how irritating it is when it's not there, so I'm not going to leave it empty.

Photography Site

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 08:18 AM   #23  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by faereygirl
Quote:

Originally Posted by cindy501
Even more reason to list supplies...I like to see what people are getting elsewhere to augment their SU stuff.
I second this. I don't use SU exclusively (I'm an equal opportunity buyer, much to the detriment of my bank account) and my pet peeve is when I see "non-SU" in the description of a card I like.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 08:35 AM   #24  
LOSTchick

It doesn't bother me if there aren't any details. I'm just glad that people are posting their artwork.

I will pm the artist to ask questions if I really like the card and there isn't any information about it. I've always had people respond to my requests for more information.

I will also leave feedback on cards where the artist hasn't put any information. I go through phases when I don't have a lot of time to spend in the gallery. If I take time to click on the thumbnail, I will leave a comment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 08:39 AM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
VSN Go to Girl
Pretty, Pretty Princess

I love to have all the info about the supplies people used, my heart sort of sinks when I click on a beautiful creation and then there is nothing about the stamps, paper, etc.
I am a new stamper and I only have the latest catalog so I can't find things that arent in the one I have.
It doesnt particularly make me less likely to leave a comment but if it is something that I really love, i'll leave a comment like " I love that stamp set, where is it from?" or "beautiful color paper, what is it called?". Maybe it gives them a hint that others are curious...
I give way too much info in the details of my cards, I know it, but I can't resist...I'm a blabber mouth:lol:
DT Member @ Unity Stamp Company
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 08:43 AM   #26  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by degrffn
I wouldn't say it keeps me from commenting, but it does annoy? me a little. Not sure if that's the right word, but I do think if you want comments, you should take the time to give a little extra info. Most of the time, I can pretty much figure a card out just by looking at it, but I always like to verify the ink/paper colors and if there are any small details - backgrounds stamps, glitter, etc. that don't always show up online.
me too. I always put the info on, but the I upload soon after I've made it so it's clear in my mind what I've used. I like to know what colours, paper and especially stamp sets (even if they're not SU!).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 08:45 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

I won't comment if there are no details. I love the little descriptions that people write, that makes the card far more for me than the actual card if that makes sense.
I also think it's polite to all other users to describe cards and make searches as easy as possible for them.
If you have time to upload a card, I think you have time to write a description. It takes way longer to scan or take a photograph and upload it to your hardrive than it does to upload to SU.
If you made the card months ago and can't remember what you used, just write it in the little description box and just put as much info in as you can.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 09:29 AM   #28  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mona Lisa
I like to give lots of detail about my designs because feel that this site is all about learning to be a better stamper. If no one had ever shared with me, I would not have been able to develop my style, because I would still be trying to figure so many techniques out!

That said, there are people I know, who truly don't have enough time to write a commentary about each card. It is an acheivement for them just to get some uploads done between all the other responsibilities in their life! ;)

I often create pretty elaborate designs with lots of products and writing a full description/instructions can take upwards of an hour by the time I go back and figure out everything I used!
I couldn't have said it better myself, Lisa! I'm sure some people even fall asleep while reading through some of my descriptions! :rolleyes: And I too will "nag" someone about details with a PM if I really have to know. :cool:

Linda

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 09:40 AM   #29  
Gabfest Goddess

Send a message via Skype™ to Julie1

I like to see the info too, especially what stamps they used, just cuz I am so new to all this and still learning what everything is. But totally understand that not everyone has time to write everything down or they just don't remember. I do what Mona Lisa and Linda do, if i really want to know something I just PM them and ask. I have always had that person reply and made some great friends in the process too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 09:47 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni M&M Stamper

It doesn't always keep me from posting a comment, but I do find I'm disappointed if the details aren't there. However, like many others, if I really want to know how a person did their card, I will PM them. Maybe we could come up with an acronym, such as:
- IRDR (I Really Don't Remember!),
- or NSUS (non SU supplies) for those of you who don't use SU supplies or can't remember the colors you used,
- or SNET (Sorry, Not Enough Time!) But, all in all, it's not that big of a deal for me. I just appreciate being able to look at the artistry of others and continually learning.
FS #44
My Blog: wheremmsgather
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 09:53 AM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

I have to say it does irritate me as well, but I am also rather guilty of not leaving details too. I still don't have a large collection and usually do not remember the names of the generic Michaels papers? Do they have names? But I try to list all embellishments and such.

MY BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #32  
Forum Fanatic

I agree that it is just good etiquette to include some description or information on cards. If I were to upload cards without either of these things, I wouldn't expect very many views (how would folks find the card with no terms to search for?) or comments (cos I tend not to comment on cards with no info).

And another gallery peeve of mine thankfully seems to be waning, maybe due to the technique newsletters and resources forum gaining in popularity. It really irks me for some reason to see someone post a request for a template for the project in the comments section (especially when usually the first request is followed by several "me too! please email it to [email protected]"). I've had to gently resist posting a verbal template a couple of times ("cut a rectangle. cut another rectangle smaller than the first. stamp on it. glue it onto the larger rectangle. tie a bow with ribbon. glue it on. done."). I used to see that on every other card I looked at for a while.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

As a new stamper - I like to see what people have done. Esp the colors that were used. I have trouble with colors of ink and it's nice to see what it was when I really like a card. Plus, I love when they put down which stamps they used, so I can know which ones to buy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #34  
Kookie Creator

I have acquired so many different papers.......unless the name is on the back, I don't list (my favorite phrase is "from my stash". I do list my stamps though, 'cause I like to see where everyone gets theirs from if they're not SU. I have to say I am a little disappointed if there isn't anything listed.....I just want to know!! I'll still make comments if it is a great card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 10:01 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

I don't base my comments on whether or not the person gave details. If I like the card, I comment. I have been guilty of not including details so I don't fault others when I find them. When you have an entire room of stamping supplies that you have accumulated over the years you just can't remember the brand names of all the papers you have (esp 2 sided papers with no markings) or the manufacturer of all of your stamps. I try to write down the details on a scrap of paper and have it with me when I upload but that doesn't always happen and I still can't guarantee that I will have all of the details. I do read comments and if someone asks a question in a post I will respond to them with more details if I can. Please don't stop looking or commenting, just ask.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 10:05 AM   #36  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by LilLuvsStampin
It doesn't always keep me from posting a comment, but I do find I'm disappointed if the details aren't there. However, like many others, if I really want to know how a person did their card, I will PM them. Maybe we could come up with an acronym, such as:
- IRDR (I Really Don't Remember!),
- or NSUS (non SU supplies) for those of you who don't use SU supplies or can't remember the colors you used,
- or SNET (Sorry, Not Enough Time!) But, all in all, it's not that big of a deal for me. I just appreciate being able to look at the artistry of others and continually learning.
Charlene, these are cute ideas...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #37  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by ematson
I don't base my comments on whether or not the person gave details. If I like the card, I comment. I have been guilty of not including details so I don't fault others when I find them. When you have an entire room of stamping supplies that you have accumulated over the years you just can't remember the brand names of all the papers you have (esp 2 sided papers with no markings) or the manufacturer of all of your stamps. I try to write down the details on a scrap of paper and have it with me when I upload but that doesn't always happen and I still can't guarantee that I will have all of the details. I do read comments and if someone asks a question in a post I will respond to them with more details if I can. Please don't stop looking or commenting, just ask.
I agree here...

And also...for the person who asked if generic Michael's paper has a name...I think we should call it "generic Michael's paper". I love the stuff...and for a beginner stamper, it's cheap...and I don't feel as bas screwing up on it as I would on SU! or other more expensive paper. ;) JMHO.
Faerey Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 10:07 AM   #38  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I love to see the comments, and really like to have the details for a "search". But I like the idea above about simply pm'ing them if it is one you are real interested in and the details aren't included.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 10:20 AM   #39  
CraZy Cat Lady
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in total agreement with most of what's been said! I try really hard to include all the little details and if I missed something it's only because I was overwhelmed at the time...but I have edited my posts when I realized my goof. If I take the time to click on something in the gallery and get a closer look, I want to know the details too. I also enjoy the silliness of what the poster was thinking when they made it, and I love getting to read the journaling on a scrapbook page without using a magnifying glass! ;)
When someone doesn't take the time to post the details I don't withhold my feedback, but it is extremely disappointing! Have any of us ever looked at something and when reading the description thought, TMI!!!??? I doubt it!
There is another possibility though. When you post things in an album, you can't fill in the usual fields, so including details in the descripton field is the only way to get them in...I have an album of RAKs, and obviously when you receive a RAK, you don't/can't know all the colors, stamps, techniques that were used!
Oh, one more thing! Don't forget to put commas between your keywords!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-20-2006, 10:27 AM   #40  
Embossing Fanatic

I also agree. I am new to stamping and every little bit helps.
Reply With Quote Likes