Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to become a demonstrator?

I'm all still very new to this, but I thought you could all give me handy hints on when it is, you decided to become a demonstrator. I work full time (kinder teacher) am studying at uni by correspondence and just love my stamping. Do you think it's wise I take up demonstrating as a hobby? I would plan only to do it from home, as I think mainly it would be the girls from work coming over to relax

Hints? suggestions?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 10:43 PM   #2  
Glitter Guru

I guess it would be whether or not you could come up with the minimums. I have been doing Hobby Demoing for about 3 years now and am thinking I am going to quit this quarter with the minimum shipping prices going up. I was staying in it for the paper which prism makes great cardstock and so does papertrey now so I can save myself tons. Look at the pros and cons if you spend alot then you might save but if you don't i find myself spending alot more than i normally would if i didn't have minimums to make so in the long run I lose.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

thanks for the insight Wendy! I didn't know there were minimums... how much is minimal. Guess it may be different in Australia... is this for SU?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 04:56 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

For the US, the minimum for SU is $300 a quarter, but it might be different for Australia. If you look on the SU website for Australia, there should be an area that talks about being a demo and it should have some of that info. If not, talk to your SU demo.

A few things on timing...right now I would wait until April 1. One reason is that it is the start of a new quarter and the first quarter minimum is waived. So anyone signing in April will have until September 30 to make the first minimum. Another reason is that with Stampin' Start (a few perks for new demo--your upline can give you the details) is based on your first 3 FULL months. So if you sign up April 1, you will have all of April, but then you would have May, June and July as your 3 FULL months.

Other than that, the timing is really dependent on your timing of commitment. If it's something you want to do, now is the time. Good luck with your decision!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #5  
Insane Embellisher

I decided to become a demonstrator after I had been stamping quite awhile. In hindsight I should have signed up earlier. I never planned on being anything more than a hobby demo but I had an open house (because I had been advided to have one and there was the extra 10% off the 1st order within the first 45 days) and I had 5 people want me to do workshops at the Open House. I love the art of Stampin Up and that is what I focus on. I hold classes once a month and I focus on great projects. Most of the people that come to my classes have been stamping for a very long time but they like my projects.

If you are in at the begining - you wll probably do especially well. I also work full time and have 3 kids. I also coach.

If you become a demo - what do you want to do? Host the ocasional class - Have organized stamp clubs- just buy your own minimums.

I like being able to take a couple months off because my life is full. I have done that a couple of times and it has worked out fine.

But most importantly - sign up only if you love the product.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Since you are in Austrailia, I would get in as soon as you can. Getting in when there are limited numbers of demonstrators would be a benefit to you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 PM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Thankyou for all the advice...

I am looking up minimums... hopefully will find something..

I don't have a demonstrator as such, currently just admire the catalogue (a lot!) and love to stamp with other stamps from shops.

what happens in America if you don't make your minimum?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 05:54 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

I work full time and take graduate courses at a large university. I joined about 2 months ago. Worth every penny!!!

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I just became a SU demo, but only to be a hobby demo. I don't have a full schedule like you do though. ;) If you want to make a business out of it, you will have to set aside a lot of time for planning your workshops and networking. If you don't make your minimums you go into "pending" mode and have to make up a certain amount by the end of the next quarter. It's really a wonderful company to be a part of, whether you are in it to make money or to spend money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:00 PM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I believe it would be 500$ a quarter for you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

I guess I gave you some misinformation--I thought the minimum info was on the SU! website. You'll have to find a demo there to sign up under (I would use the locator and then interview--make sure the demo will provide the support you want/need). But if you don't make the minimum, you go into pending. To get out of pending and become active again, you have to make up your shortfall plus $100 (at least here in the states it's $100) good faith sales. But your first quarter is waived as I stated above so if you wait until April 1, that first minimum isn't due until the end of September.

Plus, I would strongly encourage you to have some kind of party or open house shortly after you sign up. With that first party you can make your minimum.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-26-2008, 05:35 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Stacey- what do you coach? Thanks for the great advice.. My concern generally is for the time (I know I love stamping) and gettign enough participants. I don't drive so can't drive all over to people's hosues, it'd have to be all from my home..

everyone:
Thanks very much for all the info, it's been really interesting to hear all of your experiences.. $500 a quarter, is that sale of product.. so say 15 stamp sets... (or around that?!) I think I'd almost buy that myself in outside stamps... and I have my mum, perhaps this is worth it! haha

there's a paper show on this weekend, and Stampin' Up reps are in attendance... maybe I shall seek advice there, it all sounds too good... I just don't wnat to have to stress over dollars.. :/ and pending :o
Reply With Quote Likes