Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-28-2004, 04:38 PM   #1  
Inking Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's best to use for coloring in stamps?

Hi
I am brand new to stamping. I am in the process of purchasing some "essentials" and was wondering, what is most used for coloring in stamps? Water color pencils, chalks, markers? I wasn't sure what people use the most. Also for using water color pencils, how are these used? I know they have to be used with blender pens but I wasn't sure exactly how it all works? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 04:47 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The pastels (chalks) are the cheapest way to start out in coloring because you get all the SU colors. You can use blender pens with them for a different look, too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 04:55 PM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I agree, the pastels are great. I would purchase the Versamark because that gives you a few more options. You can create your own backgrounds or use the pastels and make the images "pop". You could also consider getting the Stampin Spots as a way to get started and figure out what colors in inks you really like. You could then also use the blender pens with the spots. Hope that helps! Good luck. Let us know what you ended up going with
Cathy Marie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 05:24 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

The watercolor pencils with a blender pen, aquabrush, or wet paintbrush are my favorite. I love that the strokes all disappear and the color is so even!
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 06:53 PM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My preference is watercolor pencils too! They are simple and look impressive. Chalks/pastels are great too. I only use marker with a blender pen as the color is too harsh, I think!

Whatever technique works best for you...Enjoy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 07:05 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default pencils

I have all three sets and love them all. The great thing about the chalk is it colors very easily and all you need is a q-tip
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 07:08 PM   #7  
Crimping Master

I bought two sets of markers before I ever tried the blender pens. I waited forever before getting the others but I found that I use them for ommitting things or coloring with them. I was always needing one I didn't have.

Have you ever used the blender pen? I don't have the aquabrush yet. But I'm assuming it works the same. With the chalks, I just use the blender pen like a paintbrush and dip it in the colors...and color. With the ink pads I hear that alot of people squeeze the pad together while it's closed to make a pool of color on the lid. Then they use that like painting as well. I just take it straight from the ink pad. For those of you that do the pool thing...is there a reason why that is better? Anyways, with the pencils I do two seperate things, depending on what I want. Sometimes I outline the image and then use the blender pen and then pull in the color with the blender pen. Or I just color a few strokes in the image with the pencils and then spread the color around. One of my customers just take the blender pen and pull the color right off the pencil itself. I hope that makes sense.

Well, hope this helps. Good luck.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-28-2004, 07:11 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

I use the StampinUp ink pads with the blender pens the most. If this is the way you decide to go, I would recommend getting the Stamping Spots to give yourself a good range of colors. Sometimes I use my watercolor pencils too, also with blender pens. I rarely color in with markers, except maybe when there's a very tiny space I need to color in. I can't believe that I've been a StampinUp customer for 2 years and still don't have the chalks, but for getting lots of colors that would probably also be a good way to start.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-08-2004, 04:24 PM   #9  
Inking Addict

Hi Everybody!

Thanks for all your helpful posts!! I can't wait for the sell-a-bration to begin so I can buy some of the goodies you guys mentioned. I will definately need blender pens. I also want to try the watercolor pencils and since I need ink pads anyway I can try some painting with those too!

Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 07:52 AM   #10  
Stampin' Fool

I love using either the watercolors or SU inkpads with the bender pens!

The best thing about the future is that it only comes one day at a time.
-Abraham Lincoln-
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 08:10 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I think it's a matter of preference for each project. And sometimes a combo of coloring technique. As for squeezing the pad to make a pool to watercolor - I am convinced that is what made some of my pads curl up at the edges. What I do, is put a drop or so of reinker on the inside lid to use for watercoloring and close it up when finished - and there it is for the next time. The markers are expensive and I did buy them at the beginning - not sorry I did, but now use them just for just teeny areas.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 08:27 AM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

When I started out I bought the pencils w/blender pens 1st. I was very happy with that, but I would say it kind of depends on what stamp sets you purchase. The first stamp set I bought was Botanicals, and then I had a couple of SAB sets that I picked up for free, so that gave me a little variety. I didn't use the pastels until I became a demo (they are part of the starter kit) and I have to say I never use them. Now I favor the markers!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 08:47 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by GMAX
As for squeezing the pad to make a pool to watercolor - I am convinced that is what made some of my pads curl up at the edges.
I've always squeezed my pads and used blender pens to watercolor with the ink, and nothing has happened to mine. Do you "march" your stamps across the pad surface when inking, varying where you put pressure, or do you tend to use the middle most of the time? Using only the center of the pad is usually what causes the curling edges.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 09:08 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

No' I'm careful to use "all" the pad. Perhaps I squeezed the stamp pad too hard.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 04:43 PM   #15  
Crimping Master

I just use the blender pen directly on the ink pad. Sounds to me like that would keep you from doing any damage to your pad if you are squeezing or save on your reinkers if you do it that way. Is there a reason why I shouldn't do it that way?

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 06:02 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Angie: I've tried that, too, but at times wanted to add a little more water and was fearful I'd, then, water down the pad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 06:03 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am hooked on blender pens!!! Whether you use them with watercolor pencils (which are amazing...) or ink pads,you can do sooo much with them. I have even used them with chalk.

https://www.splitcoaststampers.com/about/raffle.php
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2004, 06:47 PM   #18  
Matboard Maniac

Markers and blender pens are my favorite. I have the pastels, and watercolor pencils but, I use the markers the most by far. They are worth every penny!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2004, 05:37 AM   #19  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do the "squeeze thing" because I like to water the ink down a bit to make it more watercolorish. I make the tip of my aquapen very wet, then swirl it in the ink puddle. If I finish with that color and there is still a wet puddle on my lid, I wipe it off so it doesn't get into my pad.

I love the aquapen with ink puddles look, I haven't used my watercolor pencils, or my chalks, or blender pens since I discovered this!
And there's four in 'platitude-quoting idiot'. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #20  
Inking Addict

Hi guys!!

Thanks for all the posts, they are SO helpful!! I still need ALOT of supplies but I did try some gift tags with what little stamps I do have and I made a mess! I stamped my image then outlined with a water color pencil. Since I don't have blender pens yet, I used a fine bristle paint brush with little water to color it in. But all I did was smear the black ink into my color. :lol: I guess I should have waited longer for the ink to dry?! Anyway, I didn't like how it came out. I am trying to achieve the look like on pg. 80 of the current SU catalog...for the Hedgehogs on the card. I really love the way the water colors look, dark and light together. So maybe I should try using the ink pads and blender pens? (I need ink pads still too!) I need a "stampers training" course!! Also need some $$ to buy all my goodies. Hope Santa is listening right now!!

Thanks again!

Lisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2004, 03:00 PM   #21  
Rubber Obsessor

Another tip I think may help you out some - if you have it the going grey stamp pad is what I usually use when I know that I will be doing the watercolor pencils - it leaves a very light mark and it is going to be colored in anyway or you may even try the versamark pad if you have it and that will give the watermark imprint and then you can color - hope that helps some
Mary
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2004, 04:33 AM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Question

Do you have the ink pads - because if you do - an aquapainter or the blender pens would be ideal -

I STILL love the metallic pencils - you can blend those in too. Chalks are great - I guess it would depend on your budget and how many stamp sets you have to "color in".....
Reply With Quote Likes