Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-23-2012, 11:16 AM   #41  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paper storage

I have the white jetmax cubes that you get at Michaels -the ones that have the slots for paper. So I have all my card stock separated by color. Then on top of each color I have a gallon zip lock bag that I put my scraps in this is for both plain and patterned paper scraps of that color that are larger than 2x2 and smaller than say 6x6.

I store my larger scraps in an accordian file (you know the ones that have a separate slots for months and can close) I divide them by color as well. Patterned paper in the front and plain in the rear. This sits on the floor right by my desk. The papers stick out of the top so you can see at a glance what you have. I don't/can't close it.

I store patterned paper from the 6x6 pads with the pad itself. I have about 15 of them alongside my desk in a photo box that I got at Michaels. It is perfect for keeping them all together and upright where you can "flip" through them.

The rest of my 12x12 patterned paper I store in the jetmax cubes also sorted by color- Though i must say I have mixed emotions about this. Sometimes I wish I would have kept them with the pads they came with and have stopped separating the new pads I buy.

I also have one small basket for very small scraps say less than 2 inches. It sits on the floor out of the way- this is where I go if I need a punch piece. less than 1 inch gets tossed.

Hope this makes sense. I do find that I use my scraps because I can see them and find the color I am looking for easily.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 11:37 AM   #42  
Cardstock Collector

I keep scraps that are big enough to punch, or stamp. I keep them sorted by color in file folders, in a plastic container close to my work surface. It is easy then to find what I need or to file scraps away while I'm working. It has worked beautifully for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #43  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by shirlb19View Post
I keep all my scraps in a binder. I use those clear plastic page protectors so I use one for each color and keep them in the binder. So I check there first if I need a smaller piece before cutting up my large piece of cardstock.
What a great idea and so simple - why didn't I ever think about it! I used to keep quite small pieces of card but never used them so now I just thrown them away. My larger pieces I keep in various boxes and again don't always remember and just go for a new sheet. I've got the folder and plastic covers so reorganisation is my project for this week.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 01:24 PM   #44  
Cardstock Collector

this is a beautiful card and great for using scraps
thanks for sharing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 01:59 PM   #45  
Cardstock Collector

Quote:

Originally Posted by karjorView Post
I may have to try the baggies. Last week I volunteered to organize a craft to make ribbon book marks for a craft project for 14 moms and daughters at our book club. Lots of fun and the girls are very creative, but I have lots of full sheets with one punch out of the middle right now. Next time I will take pre-cut squares for them to punch.
When I do a workshop I precut strips so the pieces are easier to handle when putting in the punches. And it is easy to move the punch along to cut more than one. I ask the guests to punch and pass along. I make my sample from a strip so they can see how close I punch together.

As for leftovers - I store my cardstock in suspension files, one colour to a file. Anything that has been cut or punched goes into a clear pocket (sheet protector) within that file. I check this first before going to the full sheets.

Last edited by Doodle Me; 05-23-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #46  
Inking Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a large tote with hanging file folders that holds my larger scraps. These are alphabetized by color. The tiny ones I keep in plastic sandwich bags in a small plastic basket right on my stamp table. When I want to punch flowers or flower centers or leaves, I go to the bag with the right colors and punch away. I do go through occasionally and throw some away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #47  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 248 Likes on 134 Posts

I keep all sizes of CS scraps in a file folder in the same drawer with the whole or half pieces (big enough for a card). I check there first for anything smaller than a card front so I don't needlessly cut into a whole piece of card stock for a greeting-sized piece. For designer paper, I save as small as 3 3/4 x 5 and keep it with the larger and whole pieces. Anything smaller gets cut into 1x1 or 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 or 1/2"+ strips. tp use for various card techniques. Those small pieces are kept in empty clam shell boxes by color and used as necessary. I keep finding uses for small pieces, so am steadily using them up. A fellow stamper just showed us a card that uses small block of decorative paper for packages with coordinating strips of CS for the ribbon and a punched bow (half of a flower) for the top. So many possibilities!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2012, 01:27 AM   #48  
Kookie Creator

I think it's a matter of which is more important to you: time or material. If you can't find certain colors easily or if taking the time to angle around odd shaped paper in order to fit the punch in doesn't bother you, then material would be your primary concern. If getting the project out ASAP, then time is your motivation, and smaller isn't better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2012, 06:12 AM   #49  
Kookie Creator

The smallest I keep of card stock and patterned paper is 4 x 5 1/4. When I redid my craft room, I decided that I needed to make a decision and a reallity check that I didn't or wouldn't use all these scraps. I'm a bit of a neat freak in my craft room. I purged my stock, cut the paper to the standard card front size and now store them like this.

They are sorted by colour and easy to bring to my desk and pull the right colour. I find that I'm actually using them now and if I want to punch out something in the middle of the cardstock, I can still use the card stock as a layer underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the smallest scrap you keep?-craft-room-089.jpg  

My evolving gallery
My New Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #50  
Compulsive Stamper

I love my scraps. I keep using them until I run out of ideas. I also trade my scraps with two friends, one in Oregon and one in New Mexico. We all have different tastes in colors and designs and relish getting an envelope of stuff from each other. I used to do this with a quilt group I belonged to and they enjoyed it too.

Send an unfinished card to someone and ask them to add to it and then pass it back to you. You will be suprised at the outcome. Or start a group that is interested in this system.

I have received two scrap packages from some of the birthday cards I have sent to Splitcoasters and I love it. They also received an envelope from me and commented favorably by return mail.

Enjoy your scraps or just recycle them.,,,
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 11:04 AM   #51  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I probably only save scraps 3 inches by 3 inches minimum, but what I need help with is that I have started saving the piece left over after I die cut a label. This is seen as a frame to me, and hopefully I can use them. After a couple mos. I have only used one..... I saw this somewhere and loved it..... Any suggestions for use?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #52  
Insane Embellisher

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh yeah, I also save old cards, handmade or not. I will cut them up and use the greetings, or just save those to retype on the computer. I had a huge bag of them, then realized I wasn't using them, so I took out my 6 favs and tossed the rest.... ugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 12:54 PM   #53  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My rule of thumb is nothing smaller than a 3 inch piece of scrap. However, during a project using lots of paper, I do keep smaller pieces to perhaps punch a flower or a leaf, but after the project is over or done, out it goes if it is smaller than 3 inches. Otherwise the scraps would take over! I keep my scraps organized by colors in gallon zip locks. Lately, I have been loving to do Sunburst cards with scraps of paper, and I've done a lot of those! It's a great way to use up scraps!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #54  
Compulsive Stamper

I'm open for a scrap trade is anyone else? If you are and want to trade let me know. I hope this is ok to do or do I need to ask permission to do this?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 05:20 PM   #55  
Inking Addict

Default Smallest Scrap I keep -

about 2" x 2". Can always use these for little butterflies, small trims, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #56  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamps4funGinView Post
I probably only save scraps 3 inches by 3 inches minimum, but what I need help with is that I have started saving the piece left over after I die cut a label. This is seen as a frame to me, and hopefully I can use them. After a couple mos. I have only used one..... I saw this somewhere and loved it..... Any suggestions for use?
Could you start a new thread with this idea? I have some ideas, but it would detract from this thread.
Reply With Quote Likes