Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

View Poll Results: what level of stamping do you look for in magazines?
super easy use of just stamped images 4 3.13%
an easy level with some simple *ink only* techniques 14 10.94%
a new technique that is very simple 37 28.91%
any technique that is moderate level 67 52.34%
more intensive Technique with step-by-step instructions 40 31.25%
Other- Please post to the thread to describe 8 6.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2006, 08:32 AM   #1  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What level of stamping do you look for???

I am curious about what level of stamping you look for when you purchase a magazine.

thanks in advance for your response's!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like new techniques. For personal use, I don't mind if they are more difficult. But, I like simple techniques that I can easily demo at a workshop. If it's too complicated or time consuming, it's difficult to show others withouth losing their attention. I want my customers to see that stamping is easy and they can do it too - so I stay away from the complicated stuff usually.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 09:29 AM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

I posted a new technique of moderate level, but I actually want a range of things in a magazine. In an ideal world, I would want a range of all the samples mentioned above except the super easy and maybe the easy.
I am looking for trends that I can adapt my stamps to, that make my stamps look fresh.
I also love new techniques, whether they be hard or easy, it is the look that I like, not how hard or easy they are. For example, I love faux linen, which is easy, but I dislike most things with alcohol inks as the end result is too heavy. It is not that it is too hard, just hate the end result.
The card magazines over here in the UK at the moment tend to be from the super-easy and easy category and are not really adaptable, so I have ordered some US ones to see if I am happier.

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:16 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I purchase magazines to get sketch and color ideas. If there is a new technique - I love it! It allows me to step out of my comfort zone. Then again, anything with a Leese special layout (cards people - get your minds outta da gutter)...is a bonus!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:17 AM   #5  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I love to see new twists on established/entrenched techniques!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 10:31 AM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa
I am curious about what level of stamping you look for when you purchase a magazine.

thanks in advance for your response's!

I posted New Technique that is very simple, mostly not that I can't handle the more complicated techniques, but if I am going to make a card and it takes me like 15 steps to get there, I know that I will only do that like ONCE if ever and it will be lost on me. If I see something that takes 20 steps to achieve a look that I can get in like 3 steps that is what I will look for. BUT I want it to look beautiful too! I did laugh when I watched a That's Clever episode and the lady kept saying "and then I am going to ..." and she did all this stuff to make ONE card. I was like, sorry honey but I can do that SO much easier!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #7  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
luvstochatchatCHAT

Received 1,411 Likes on 707 Posts

I will buy a magazine if I see some different "simple, classy cards". I was just over at A Muse and I just love the simplicity of the samples! I love stamped and layered and jazzed up cards too, but sometimes it's a nice change to see beautiful cards that are not covered from top to bottom with stamping! Well, I'm rambling now! I like cool layouts, design simplicity and a cool technique or two!
Old 03-06-2006, 11:00 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This is somewhat difficult to answer as I don't particularly look for any "skill level" of stamping.

What I mean is: Like Ally, "skill level" is irrelevant. I have to *like* the artwork featured (preferrably no scrapbooking, as I don't enjoy it) AND it must contain an emphasis on art stamping as the chosen medium. If it doesn't meet those 2 parameters for me, I'm not interested.

If I am looking specifically to enhance my stamping skills, then I personally refer to Pat Huntoon's Technique Junkies Newsletter or SCS Tutorials for stamping "techniques". I prefer those in that regard because all that technique related stuff is in one place (several years' worth in a 3 ring binder--WOO HOO!!!) and I don't have to go hunting through stacks (and I have 12 years worth of stacks of multiple publications!) to find it.

:shock:

OMG. Time for a major dump run. I could store a lot of embellishments and stamp sets in that space!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 11:28 AM   #9  
Gabfest Goddess

I agree that I don't look for a skill level . . . I pretty much look for layouts that are elegant or striking . . . I want something I can do, and that can be a new technique or a great simple card that packs some punch. I don't subscribe to any publications since I started obsessing with SCS, but I do scan them at the bookstore.
Megan arrived 3/16/09
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 11:39 AM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I usually just flip through the pages quickly. If I see something new - either a technique or a template or a layout - then I look again to see if there is more than one item I like. Next check the price... one new idea for $15 is way too much. For several great cards I might pay it. And I save those mags forevuh!
John 3:16
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 11:43 AM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I'll try most techniques at least once. If they have "stamping for dummies" type instructions...all the better. It has to have a bunch of things that pull me in for me to pay 15 dollars for a magazine though.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a hard time staying away from most magazines. However, I'm always looking for new ways to do the traditional and something to challenge me, all in the same one. Often that is difficult to find.
I once subscribed to an counted thread embroidery magazine (they are now out of business) that was wonderful. They rated their techniques and you could plunge into what ever poped your cork at that moment.
They also would do projects that took several major steps and the instructions would be in 3 consecutive magazines. I would like to see something like that where you may do a whole altered book project for example. Their tutorials were very much like Beate too - great pictures and instructions.
Hey Lisa, when you get that magazine up and running, let us know !!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 12:12 PM   #13  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1,042 Likes on 478 Posts

I clicked on "Other." I like to see some simple projects that I can replicate with little planning, but I like to see moderate techniques that are "new" or trendy to show friends and customers. The easy projects that I replicate can be sitting out when I do a workshop, made with SU materials, to help sell that particular paper or color without doing a full demo. They also come in handy for stamp camps or door prizes. But learning something new is always the pull.

I buy some magazines because I have friends in them (like the current issue of Papercrafts! Holy cow I have talented friends!) but I would have gotten THIS one anyway because of the projects on page 31, (the bottles & carrier w/Jelly Beans) and page 28 (YAY Mish!) THOSE are at the top of my "Boy Do I Wanna Try THIS" list.

So a mixture of stuff I can do that will challenge or stretch me combined with easy, replicated projects is the perfect magazine for me.
"And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works," Hebrews 10:24
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

For me...I try to look for a stamping style similar to my own...not those outrageous things that grace the cover of Rubber Stamp Madness. I'm more of a conservative stamper....and try to pick those magazines that show things I'd actually like to do. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Hey Leese - I really look for a variety of projects. I want to see a range from easy to duplicate to more involved w/step by step instructions. If all the projects look too easy or are too involved I usually won't buy the issue.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

I voted for simple, moderate, and advanced techniques because I look for a combo of all three.

"Forget regret or life is yours to miss." - Jonathan Larson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2006, 06:48 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

You Ladies are great! keep um comin'!

I personally like something that has twists to teach an old trick to be a new dog! LOL! kinda what Cindy said. And I LOVE those projects that make you slap your forhead and think... OH MY GOSHHH!!! Thats so easy... but WOW!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-07-2006, 07:55 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

I look for color combos and layout ideas for cards. I also like to see what the latest trends and embellishments are. I really enjoy the ads, too! Especially if they have great cards in them, like Penny Black. I'm not into techniques so much as I'm kind of a lazy stamper. Though, I'm always open to learning new ways to color in my stamps, such as the colored pencils and Gamsol technique. While I enjoy looking at the more elaborate samples, I'm more likely to pick up a magazine that has mostly moderate levels of difficulty. I definitely like to see new twists to old ideas.

I'm with Julie HRR, I don't care to see scrapbooking samples in a card/stamping magazine. If I want to see those, I'll get a scrapbooking mag. JMHO.

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Reply With Quote Likes